Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,773 members, 7,882,665 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 11:25 AM

CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview (26354 Views)

What Do You Think About This Cv/resume Format? / 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately / Resume Tips and More. . . . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by mandy4s: 12:13am On May 01, 2013
biafranqueen: List your skills that you learned in NYSC or ever volunteer for church/student body this is a functional resume
OBJECTIVE
A position in Finance and Banking that will utilize my strong analytically and interpersonal skills, as well as can be effectively utilized to improve operations and contribute to company profits.

PROFESSIONAL PROFILE
*Experienced in budgeting, financial planning, and donation solicitation
*Well-developed organizational skills
*Able to accept responsibility and delegate where needed
*Personable and work well with all types of personalities
*Loyal, driven, honest, and committed to a job well done
*Proven negotiation abilities
*Highly articulate, effective communicator

EDUCATION & TRAINING

BS Political Science (International Business concentration) Ikega University, Ikega May 2012
Leadership Training -Nigeria Youth Service Corp July 2011
Volunteer Orientation- Motherless Baby Home

SPECIAL SKILLS
Language- Fluent in Igbo and and French
Computer- MS Office, MS Excel, Outlook, Internet Research

RELEVANT SKILLS
*Collecting and recording statistical and confidential information
*Extremely sociable and able to put visitors at ease
*Highly Skilled at solving customer relations problems
*Data entry, with exceptionally fast and accurate typing

RELEVANT PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

Supervisor 2011-2012
Nigerian Youth Service Corp, Nigeria
*Accepted the challenge to supervise team members during special projects

Math Tutor 2009-2011
Self- Employed
* Assisted students failing in math to pass exams

List anything you have done paid and unpaid and if you have any recommendations from professors that always helps.

thanx so much @biafranqueen. buh d points you listed under "relevant professional experience", i listed under "career summary" in my cv. how does it look? by the way am currently a youth corper passing out this coming june. thanx.
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Petraman(m): 12:45am On May 01, 2013
@OP, i'm an undergraduate student of geograpy, but i want to know d companies dat one can easily get employed as a fresh geography student without any experiences. Also, i'll like u to give me a format to follow in writting d resume into these companies.
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by seundy(m): 12:56am On May 01, 2013
Job well done, more wisdom to you.

1 Like

Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by chosenpraise(f): 3:14am On May 01, 2013
Please send a copy to olatebony@yahoo.com
Thanks so much
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Sleekbaby(f): 5:13am On May 01, 2013
@biafranqueen, tnx 4 ds 1daful lecture, plz i wnt 2 knw d dlf blw resume n cv bcoz d pattern of d cv i hv nw did nt hv objective, skills etc, wot i hv der is jst my bio data, education, hobbies n references n i noticed also dt yours sincerly is alwayz @ d left hand syd. Plz i nid ur xplaination bcoz i dnt knw if actually is d reason y am nt gttin any response 4rm d companies i submitted my cv 2 and again is it wize 2 type cv or resume on top of ur cv, tnx.
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Sleekbaby(f): 5:40am On May 01, 2013
ighoosagie:
1)Only ur highest education certificate is relivant no need of writing from primary sch. 2)Referes should not b included, 3)it must not b more than a page
plz r u saying dt all these i attended st peter's primary sch 1999 n sec sch 2004 r nt relevant, wont dey ask 4 primary n secondary cert during interview
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Sleekbaby(f): 5:51am On May 01, 2013
ighoosagie:
1)Only ur highest education certificate is relivant no need of writing from primary sch. 2)Referes should not b included, 3)it must not b more than a page
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by wisdomolusola: 8:13am On May 01, 2013
Biafran queen pls how do i sell myself with HND banking n finance and exempted frm service. Please i wud be glad if i cul get ur response vis ajayiolusola28@yahoo.com. Tnx
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by REDBULL1(m): 8:41am On May 01, 2013
Nice Thread... Following
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Nobody: 9:10am On May 01, 2013
awesome!
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by plendil: 9:37am On May 01, 2013
ighoosagie:

that is NOT true. Its usually the cover letter that should be short and straight to the point - usually just a page. The resume however, depending on ones experience, can be several pages long.

As for the referee issue, in the NGO world you are almost always required to include at least three RELEVANT referees. So I would suggest it be included by default. Usually they would be contacted to provide info about the applicant.
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Mykolyke: 9:47am On May 01, 2013
Thax 4 all d in4mation.4 seven months rite now i av work as a contract staf in two diferent organisation.now d question is aw cn i fit ds experience in my cv.pls OP shud i mention in my cv dt i work as a contract staff.my email is destinedm@yahoo.com
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Godside: 9:47am On May 01, 2013
biafranqueen: While working in human resources for a multi- national company I see good candidates fall through the cracks because of unprofessional resumes. I have listed the information below and will add a sample for your visual learning. Always remember to check your spelling and grammar and have someone check over your resume before sending it out.

1.Job target-
Place the job target at the top of your resume, right after your contact information. This may change according to the job you are applying for.The first place you begin to establish a professional brand is with your Target Job Title, where you consciously decide on a job that best allows you to package your skill-sets an create a professional brand.
2. Always have a Performance Profile or Career Summary-
[right]Corporate Communications Management[/right][left][/left][center][/center]
Performance Profile

Strategic communications professional with five years experience developing effective, high impact, and cost effective media outreach plans for consumer, business, and policy audiences in media, entertainment, and technology practice areas.

3.Core Competencies Section-
List your skills in keywords example; Strategic Planning-Team building & Leadership- Management-Full-Cycle Project Management etc;

4. Never put salary on resume if they request the information put it in the cover letter.

5. Keep your resume focused and relevant to the job you are trying to land.
6. Emphasize Your Achievements-
Make your achievements, problem solving skills, and professional behavioral profile the focus of your resume.

Double check your contact information 1 out of 10 applicants give us incorrect information to contact them. Any questions feel free to ask. I will also post the 10 most common questions asked in an interview and how to answer to get the job.

Bro, pls help the engineer's. Am a graduate of Computer engineer, plsssss ao wuld my CV n resume formart luk like, pls am waitin, thanx bro or beta stil ds is my email : akinolaolayinkaanu@yahoo.com. God bless u,
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by dmjshyne(m): 11:01am On May 01, 2013
Most educative and informative post ever. Kudos to @biafranqueen. You are the best dear.
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Patuwa: 12:06pm On May 01, 2013
Thanks a million for this wonderful help. In my case now, I am a graduate of Chemistry and Education, I wish to work with or do a volunteer work in one of the petrochemical firm. In what format should I write my CV and cover letter and also, in what format should I write my volounteer letter in order to get being called or interviewed. I dont have any experience yet and am still on NYSC. Thanks
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by vicksony(m): 3:05pm On May 01, 2013
Wow! Dis happens 2 be d best thread ave eva come across wif in NL. Great Job @ OP. Pls dis my own e-mail kindly send me d template so I can use n edit my CV. Victoredet0@gmail.com, or Vicksony2010@yahoo.com. Thnx.
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Mightyodi: 4:45pm On May 01, 2013
biafraqueen, thanxo much for ur post u ve been a blessin, plz i need to get somethin clear, can u send a soft copy of cvand cover page to my email promiseodiakaose@gmail.com or drop ur number with me, mine is 08038110853, i will really appreciate it God bless you
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by omidan21: 12:05am On May 02, 2013
Mightyodi: biafraqueen, thanxo much for ur post u ve been a blessin, plz i need to get somethin clear, can u send a soft copy of cvand cover page to my email promiseodiakaose@gmail.com or drop ur number with me, mine is 08038110853, i will really appreciate it God bless you

most informative thread ever.abegooh please biko help a sister out with CV templates.omidan21@yahoo.com
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Chidelis(m): 12:18am On May 02, 2013
omidan21:

most informative thread ever.abegooh please biko help a sister out with CV templates.omidan21@yahoo.com
. And brother too fidelisarimah@yahoo.com
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by tunnex190: 1:31am On May 02, 2013
Thanks a million @OP. I hope i can get an answer to my question. I am a corps member passing out in June. My question is; having read this informative and educative thread from the first post to this where I'm in right now, I realized that the CV samples or formats you gave in here are with/of different headings and keywords to talk or write something on. Please I'd like to know exactly format to follow as an entry level applicant. I just need the keywords or headings to be itemized or listed. I hope i can use them as guides to prepare a good CV. Thanks a lot.
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by chiomanwamadi(f): 6:10am On May 02, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]Thank you for this vital info, pls can I send my CV for cross-checking, I have an interview today was at to update it,
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Uziehot(m): 9:47pm On May 02, 2013
@biafranqueen, pls help me out,can u send a cover letter and a cv 4 me 2 edit mine? Thanx. Uziehot@gmail.com
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by eklassical(m): 2:19pm On May 03, 2013
heres mine too anehita25@gmail.com

thanks for the info @op.. i just adjusted my Cv using your formats now... can i hae ur email. i would really want you to take a look at it and help me with little editing.

im rounding up service in june and i dont want anything drawing me back.

pls send me a mail.
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by eklassical(m): 2:20pm On May 03, 2013
heres mine too anehita25@gmail.com

thanks for the info @op.. i just adjusted my Cv using your formats now... can i have ur email. i would really want you to take a look at it and help me with little editing.

im rounding up service in june and i dont want anything drawing me back.

pls send me a mail.
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by Sleekbaby(f): 3:54pm On May 03, 2013
@ biafranqueen, plz hlp me out, u did nt answer d ques i asked on if interviewers r nt requesting 4 primary n secondary sch cert bcoz is nt on d exemple you gave
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by veriland(m): 6:32pm On May 03, 2013
isidollarboy: @ biafranqueen, I would be glad if u could send me. a copy of a cv /resume for me to cross reference mine. I have no working experience ..this is my email isidollarboy10@gmail.com .
pls when she does,kindly forward them to mine too.my email is veritasg8@yahoo.com.thanks alot wit much expectations.
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by cman77(m): 5:18am On May 07, 2013
@biafraqueen.pls hw best can sm1 approach companies for internship positions or working for free.ie witout bin paid.cud it b going to d company or via email? Or both or any oda.pls reply.
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by blanco56(m): 8:51pm On May 07, 2013
@Biafranqueen na waoh! no replies , hope u have not abandoned †ђξ thread, still waiting 4 ur replies

1 Like

Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by biafranqueen: 4:33pm On May 08, 2013
The body of the email is the best
guytano: this is a beautiful thread. i was just wondering if it is okay to type a cover letter on the body of the mail or must it be an attachment like the CV?
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by biafranqueen: 4:41pm On May 08, 2013
Wow you guys it would be hard for me to answer all these questions
For New Grads
Include an introductory paragraph of 2 or 3 sentences telling the employer about your strongest and most desirable personality traits. Tailor this to highlight those traits most applicable to the job for which you are applying. This is sometimes called an Objective Statement.
If you truly have no work experience list your volunteer work or community activities. If you’ve done work experience through a course at school make note of it here. If you’ve had odd jobs, or done things like baby sit or helped a neighbors list it here and if at all possible get letters of reference.
Next list course work at school that you feel is relevant to the job. Make note of any academic achievements or awards. Explain how you think your excellent performance in these areas would benefit the employer or enhance your ability to do the job. If you can, get a letter of reference from a teacher of one of the courses you mention.
List your extracurricular activities of a non-volunteer nature such as sports, church or youth groups, school committees, etc. If you have a position of authority in any of these groups make note of it and describe your duties as if they were a job.
Finally, sell yourself by making a list of your skills, special talents, or positive personality traits.
Tips:

Employers aren’t expecting a long work history from a first time worker.
You may see a lot of things on this list that appear as “don’ts” on resume and job hunting websites but remember that this is your first resume and the rules change once you have some work experience or career oriented education.
Don’t lie and always be true to who you are. Any deception will be very obvious to an experienced interviewer and will cost you the job.

Face the fact that you may have to do a job not in your field to gain experience. My first job out of school was as a Receptionist which I later was promoted to Sales.
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by biafranqueen: 5:16pm On May 08, 2013
Use this technique to introduce yourself to a potential employer.

Date

Name
Address
City, State Zip

Dear Name:

As a student at (University), I have studied hard, made good grades and tried to participate in extracurricular activities that would boost my leadership skills. What I feel I am lacking is real insight into just what employers need from an employee in my field.

Would you be willing to give me a good steer? As an employer of (profession), you must see a lot of good resumes. Would you take at mine and let me know how I can strengthen my application? I will take your advice very seriously.

Thank you for time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Name

Next you will follow up with a phone call or visit.
While you are looking for a job take time to go an volunteer to gain experience. It is all about networking and who you know in a tight job market.

Join professional organizations I know they cost money to join but ask if you can volunteer your time to pay membership fees.

While in school I volunteered in the administration office at my college and raised money for Motherless Baby Homes. My first year out of college while visiting the village for a month I managed my Uncles books in his spare parts shop take inventory and record it and basically organized his administrative duties. I added these to my first resume as experience even though I did not get paid, but eventually it paid out.
Re: CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview by biafranqueen: 5:17pm On May 08, 2013
Both you have to be aggressive in your search email first then follow up. It shows you are very serious
cman77: @biafraqueen.pls hw best can sm1 approach companies for internship positions or working for free.ie witout bin paid.cud it b going to d company or via email? Or both or any oda.pls reply.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Vacancies For Fresh Graduates / Workforce Academy II 2014 / Nigerian Airforce List Of Successful Candidates For 2017 Recruitment Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.