Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,799 members, 7,921,846 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 01:29 PM

Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. (4686 Views)

To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? / Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? / Fellow Christians,your Opportunity To Stand Up To Maclatunji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by Nobody: 6:51am On Apr 27, 2013
From_Guiriga:

Ah ha ha...Blue is an easier contrast for me to read on the background color. I tired Red and other colors but Blue looked better.
I understand how strongly you feel on this issue man. Trust me. But keep an open mind man, some rough street cats have also turned their life round towards good because of Christianity.

Good reasoning still, give thanks!

cool
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by Nobody: 11:17am On Apr 27, 2013
Logicboy03:

Foolish statement of the year

Alright then, how does being a catholic make anyone a Christian?
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by Nobody: 11:19am On Apr 27, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Alright then, how does being a catholic make anyone a Christian?

Catholicism is christianity. If you are a catholic, you are a christian. It like saying someone is a Nigerian and therefore must be African.

Dumbf4ck.
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by anukulapo: 11:27am On Apr 27, 2013
2buff:

Don't assume everyone on your list there made it to heaven.
E.g, I know Solomon started well....not sure how he ended...

...And for example,how does "how solomon ended" affects his being in heaven

Just asking though. I though it is not by works and the scripture says "I'll have mercy on whom I will have mercy on"
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by Danyell(m): 11:41am On Apr 27, 2013
Seems the thread is taking a different turn. @op, hope you have been given a satisfactory answer; the thread is getting derailed.
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by Nobody: 11:42am On Apr 27, 2013
Logicboy03:

Catholicism is christianity. If you are a catholic, you are a christian. It like saying someone is a Nigerian and therefore must be African.

Dumbf4ck.

Well, if Catholicism is Christianity and Christianity means having the Spirit of Christ, you weren't ever a Catholic either. smiley
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by Nobody: 12:37pm On Apr 27, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Well, if Catholicism is Christianity and Christianity means having the Spirit of Christ, you weren't ever a Catholic either. smiley

How do yoou know a catholic?

-goes to mass
-baptized and confirmed in a catholic church
-believes in god and says the credo (the creed)

I did all three....therefore, you are a dumbf4ck
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by Nobody: 12:52pm On Apr 27, 2013
Logicboy03:

How do yoou know a catholic?

-goes to mass
-baptized and confirmed in a catholic church
-believes in god and says the credo (the creed)

I did all three....therefore, you are a dumbf4ck

Well, if that is what a catholic is, then a catholic is not necessarily a Christian, since a Christian is a human bring who has the Spirit of Christ. I am quite sure though that catholics can be Christians and Christians catholics, but the two are not the same per your definition.

Therefore, your doing all three did not make you a Christian.

smiley
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by mazaje(m): 1:21pm On Apr 27, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Well, if that is what a catholic is, then a catholic is not necessarily a Christian, since a Christian is a human bring who has the Spirit of Christ. I am quite sure though that catholics can be Christians and Christians catholics, but the two are not the same per your definition.

smiley

What is the spirit of christ?. . .We can test this, no?. . .Do you have the spirit of christ?. . .The bible promised those that believe in jesus the ability to do greater things than he(jesus) did, we were told he was a wonderful magicain and miracle worker that went about healing people, including unbelievers. . .If you have the spirit of christ then you should be able to do greater things then he did as promised, no?. . .You should be able to show us that you have the spirit of christ, no?. . .

1 Like

Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by Nobody: 1:31pm On Apr 27, 2013
Ihedinobi:

smiley

Bookmaking this page and saving this quote. You have become a pharisee smiley

So believing in Jesus/God, getting baptised and going to church doesnt make one a christian?

Do you know if Jesoul or the pope have the spirit of christ? Can you see the spirit? You prefer to use non-measurable measures to know if someone is a christian abi?

Keep judging in your own ignorance, pharisee
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by Nobody: 4:46pm On Apr 27, 2013
First of all, Lb, lying does not become you even if stupidity does. You know very well that the definition of the Christian is not of my own making. You know that I only quoted the Bible. So, it is the Bible that you are really calling a Pharisee, not me.

Next, it isn't really my trouble whether a person actually has the Spirit of Christ or not. What concerns me is whether how they live their lives matches their claim to have said Spirit if they do make such a claim. That leads on to the final thing I have to say.

The same Bible that defines the Christian as one who has the Spirit of Christ also states how we may know that someone may or may not have said Spirit. So, it is quite measurable. But, I'm sure you'll find some reason to disagree. smiley

Anyway, it's good to know that all you have to say on the matter is that I'm judging you by examining your claim to Christianity and proving it false.

Take care, Lb. smiley

EDIT: PS. Lb, believing on or trusting confidently in the Lord Jesus and proving that you agree with and willingly participate in His Cross, that is, agreeing to a total divorce from the world in order to be joined to Christ, by being baptized in the name of Jesus opens the door to the Gift of the Holy Spirit.

Therefore, when one has truly believed (and baptised, although that can happen later), they will be made Christians by the entrance of the Holy Spirit of Christ into them.

The Holy Spirit then goes on to confirm their Christianity by the way He makes them behave.
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by CrazyMan(m): 7:13pm On Apr 27, 2013
JeSoul: If I may interject briefy...intriguing replies - especially from Obadaiah.

@Crazyman,
If the physical life of a christian is no different from a non-christian (they endure the same troubles & enjoy the same joys) then what is the point of God? this is a fantastic question and even the bible confirms this saying "He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." I think Obadaiahs answer is so short, sweet and perfect that it needs to be re-quoted:

A Christian in the true sense of the word is someone who is DEAD TO THIS WORLD.

So when Ihedinobi posted scripture on christians facing persecution & trials he was 100% right.
And when Crazyman countered with scripture on asking & receiving from God, he was also 100% right.

^why? because a christian who is dead to this world will only ask for things that are "not of this world". His prayers are not occupied by requests for carnal, vain, worldy things - but rather his mind is divinely pre-occupied with things of the spirit. And when he asks for these things - he receives them from God who gives freely to all who call on Him in spirit & truth.

If you are a christian - and dead to this world - you will not be swayed by the troubles that come with this world - because "The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever".
and
For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal .

A carnal mind looks around the world and wonders how he can better his life circumstances - and he chases after it. A spiritual mind looks around the world and wonders how much longer? because he knows he does not belong here, and he chases after God. Christians should not despise nor occupy themselves with the vain, fleeting affairs of this world. We are here for a short time and as such should make the most of every opportunity while keeping the big picture in perspective - life is a breath compared to eternity.

Godbless! smiley
Ok...this should do...thanks.
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by mazaje(m): 7:32pm On Apr 27, 2013
JeSoul: If I may interject briefy...intriguing replies - especially from Obadaiah.

A carnal mind looks around the world and wonders how he can better his life circumstances - and he chases after it. A spiritual mind looks around the world and wonders how much longer? because he knows he does not belong here, and he chases after God. Christians should not despise nor occupy themselves with the vain, fleeting affairs of this world. We are here for a short time and as such should make the most of every opportunity while keeping the big picture in perspective - life is a breath compared to eternity.

Godbless! smiley

This is really pathetic view of life and is actually one of the reasons religious societies never make any meaningful development. . .Why develop or contribute anything to the world, when you believe that the world will end during your life time or because you believe it does not matter at all and is of no importance. . .People prefer to live their lives thinking it doesn't matter while believing a mythical after life that no one has ever or can ever show exist is of more importance. . .Such view of life makes life meaningless and it is truly pathetic. . I actually prefer the prosperity gospel advocates that will tell you that this life is very important and as such you have to enjoy every bit of it and prosper in all you do because prosperity is also part of godliness. . .This "we are just passing by and shouldn't care about this world , because we are not a part of it" brand of christianity is pathetic. . .It leads to nothing but misery. . .
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by ijawkid(m): 7:46pm On Apr 27, 2013
mazaje:

This is really pathetic view of life and is actually one of the reasons religious societies never make any meaningful development. . .Why develop or contribute anything to the world, when you believe that the world will end during your life time or because you believe it does not matter at all and is of no importance. . .People prefer to live their lives thinking it doesn't matter while believing a mythical after life that no one has ever or can ever show exist is of more importance. . .Such view of life makes life meaningless and it is truly pathetic. . I actually prefer the prosperity gospel advocates that will tell you that this life is very important and as such you have to enjoy every bit of it and prosper in all you do because prosperity is also part of godliness. . .This "we are just passing by and shouldn't care about this world , because we are not a part of it" brand of christianity is pathetic. . .It leads to nothing but misery. . .

Prosperity backed up with contentment my bro...as usual what ever the scriptures say is thrash to you,.......if you ever believed in eternal life you would support Jesus' words.......Jesus' words help christians to be balanced with what ever the world has to offer...........

What you fail to realize is that the prosperity gospel drives one to materialism and greed .........

The prosperity gospel is what is actually killing nigeria,rather than make it develop...

1 Like

Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by Boomark(m): 9:04pm On Apr 27, 2013
Logicboy03:

Foolish statement of the year

He told you a plain truth. "Being a catholic does not MEAN you are a Christian."

the same apples to people in other churches.
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by FromGuiriga(m): 9:12pm On Apr 27, 2013
Boomark:

He told you a plain truth. "Being a catholic does not MEAN you are a Christian."

I will say that the whole of Central and South America will disagree with you. The majority are Catholics and to them to be a Catholic is to be a Christian.

I might be wrong but is not Catholicism another denomination of Christianity?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by Nobody: 9:14pm On Apr 27, 2013
Boomark:

Another contender for foolish statement of the year
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by Nobody: 9:35pm On Apr 27, 2013
Logicboy03:

This is what happens when you quote something out of context. The whole verse is talking about living in the spirit vs living in the flesh. The spirit simply means righteousness in one sense

"But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life[d] because of righteousness"

But then again, that whole chapter 8 of Romans is very ambiguous because it talks of the spirit of God and then the spirit of Jesus and then again,the spirit testifying for you
=======================================================================

Still, it only shows that you are a pharisee and a scripture twister because no one identifies a christian with that verse.....CAN YOU FREAKING SEE A SPIRIT? HOW DO YOU KNOW IF SOMEONE THAT HAS THE SPIRIT OF JESUS?

Even by your own definition of christianity, you cant identify a christian

You are a pharisee....keep lying and twisting the sciptures......liar

"Ok, now I'm feeling the 'stupidness'" as King Julian in one of the episodes of Penguins of Madagascar said. embarassed

Really? An atheist is teaching me the Bible? Even lb? Na wa o. Does the uninitiated presume to teach an acolyte? In what world?

Piece of advice: go read my posts again. Your foolishness is showing.

smiley
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by Nobody: 9:39pm On Apr 27, 2013
Ihedinobi:

"Ok, now I'm feeling the 'stupidness'" as King Julian in one of the episodes of Penguins of Madagascar said. embarassed

Really? An atheist is teaching me the Bible? Even lb? Na wa o. Does the uninitiated presume to teach an acolyte? In what world?

Piece of advice: go read my posts again. Your foolishness is showing.

smiley

Fail.

Why cant an atheist teach you the bible. Some of the best pastors and priests became atheists. They would school you anyday on the bible. Dan Barker runs rings around christian apologists with the bible.

Furthermore, you were exposed as a pharisee. Self righteous hypocrite judging who is and who isnt a christian based on a failed interpretation of the bible.
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by Nobody: 9:42pm On Apr 27, 2013
Furthermore, I was bashing christians even when I was a christian. We catholics truly despise tithing and quick healing schemes of the pentecostals and protestants.

cool

You think bible analysis is your ally? You merely adopted it. I was born it, moulded by it. I didnt even read other holy books till I was an adult, by then I was already an atheist!

The dark knight cool
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by mazaje(m): 9:50pm On Apr 27, 2013
ijawkid:

Prosperity backed up with contentment my bro...as usual what ever the scriptures say is thrash to you,.......if you ever believed in eternal life you would support Jesus' words.......Jesus' words help christians to be balanced with what ever the world has to offer...........

What you fail to realize is that the prosperity gospel drives one to materialism and greed .........

The prosperity gospel is what is actually killing nigeria,rather than make it develop...

Firstly, when the stories about Jesus were written the people were under Roman occupation. . .Life was misrable to them and they were expecting a messiah to come and rescue them from the hands of the Romans, hence the view that life didn't matter and the hope for a better life after this one when they die. . .Some of the gospels that didn't make it or were not selected as part of the biblical cannon paints a better picture. . .Masterialism is actually what is driving this world, it leads to competition which leads to a better economy and a better standard of living. . . .

The claim that this life is of no value and just something not to bother with but a passage to an after life that remains a myth is pathetic and morally reprehensible. . .
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by Nobody: 10:14pm On Apr 27, 2013
CrazyMan:
Ok...this should do...thanks.
Logicboy receives an uppercut.
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by Nobody: 10:17pm On Apr 27, 2013
Reyginus: Logicboy receives an uppercut.

Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by ijawkid(m): 6:43am On Apr 28, 2013
mazaje:

Firstly, when the stories about Jesus were written the people were under Roman occupation. . .Life was misrable to them and they were expecting a messiah to come and rescue them from the hands of the Romans, hence the view that life didn't matter and the hope for a better life after this one when they die. . .Some of the gospels that didn't make it or were not selected as part of the biblical cannon paints a better picture. . .Masterialism is actually what is driving this world, it leads to competition which leads to a better economy and a better standard of living. . . .

The claim that this life is of no value and just something not to bother with but a passage to an after life that remains a myth is pathetic and morally reprehensible. . .

Wrong!!....materialism is what has made the world as debasing as it is.........

Life mattered both in the past and now that is why Jesus' words transcends generations.........

Even person§ who care less about God can sinÇerely tell you the dÉ-merits of materialism...I just don't know why you've chosen to see no wrong with it just because the teachings of Jesus kicks Àgainst it.......

In Nigeria and outside nigeria mÀterialism would always be a bane....it drags any Çount®y baÇk ward and deprives the less priviledged of any opportunity for survival....that iÑsatiable desire for wealth is what has led to our(nigeria) having thieves as politicians,militant§,Çharlatans in churches,yahoo yahoo boys etc...........

I hope you do know why the economies of various countries today are crashing..No??........greed and the quest to get richer !!!!....!!!!!!.

Jesus' words would always stand the test of time..........
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by Nobody: 6:46am On Apr 28, 2013
ijawkid:

Life mattered both in the past and now that is why Jesus' words transcends generations.........

Even person§ who care less about God can sinÇerely tell you the dÉ-merits of materialism...I just don't know why you've chosen to see no wrong with it just because the teachings of Jesus kicks Àgainst it.......

In Nigeria and outside nigeria mÀterialism would always be a bane....it drags any Çount®y baÇk ward and deprives the less priviledged of any opportunity for survival....that iÑsatiable desire for wealth is what has led to our(nigeria) having thieves as politicians,militant§,Çharlatans in churches,yahoo yahoo boys etc...........

I hope you do know why the economies of various countries today are crashing..No??........greed and the quest to get richer !!!!....!!!!!!.

this guy is quite foolish.

the romans and the jews of Jesus's time didnt see their empires crash?

man has always been materialistic. you, ijawkid, do not need the internet...12 years ago, the internet was nothing in naija. stop being materialistic and throw away your computer
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by ijawkid(m): 6:51am On Apr 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

this guy is quite foolish.

the romans and the jews of Jesus's time didnt see their empires crash?

man has always been materialistic. you, ijawkid, do not need the internet...12 years ago, the internet was nothing in naija. stop being materialistic and throw away your computer

And you are more fooli§h for not seeing the points of Jesus.....

Balance is all we need if not we will always find ourselves in deep sh++t........engaging in different crimes just to make sure we make it.......

Why can't you see the good in Jesus' words??.....

Nonsense!!!....angry
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by Nobody: 6:54am On Apr 28, 2013
ijawkid:

And you are more fooli§h for not seeing the points of Jesus.....

Balance is all we need if not we will always find ourselves in deep sh++t........engaging in different crimes just to make sure we make it.......

Why can't you see the good in Jesus' words??.....

Nonsense!!!....angry

Jesus?

A Jewish guy that got crucified for the loudmouth he was claiming to be the messiah....a messiah that couldnt save himself.

Next time, when you are a carpenter son, you dont claim to be a messiah.....Jesus should have learnt to take his own advice on humility.
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by ijawkid(m): 8:34am On Apr 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

Jesus?

A Jewish guy that got crucified for the loudmouth he was claiming to be the messiah....a messiah that couldnt save himself.

Next time, when you are a carpenter son, you dont claim to be a messiah.....Jesus should have learnt to take his own advice on humility.

How does Jesus being a messiah amount to him not being humble?......

It seems you don't know what to say or how to refute the words of Jesus....

Has materialism helped our useless country?........
Re: Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. by mazaje(m): 8:48am On Apr 28, 2013
ijawkid:

The world has never been as peaceful as it is now. . .Things used to be so bad back in the days, read your history book, even your bible says it all. Back in the days people just go about killing each other over nothing. Wars were a daily occurance, a stronger nation can just wake up and enslave its neighbours, their cities were built with walls all round them. . .People were always at war with each other, slavery was acceptable and normal, violence against women was also acceptable, violence against kids(stoning them to death) for wrong doing. . .Human sacrifice etc. . .There was too much vviolence in the past. . .

During the time of Jesus the average life span of the common man was about 30 years, violence was way too much. Israel was under a tyranical occupation. . .Now things have changed a lot. . .The desire for wealth is always being with man. . . And that is what has made man prosperous. . .Imagine if every body had this nonsensical view of life that it is all useless or that the world will end very soon. . .There wouldn't have been any meaningful development any where. . .

As for the teachings of Jesus standing the test of time , that it self is very false . . .Was it not Jesus that said if some one slaps you turn the other cheek?. . .His statement was made as a pacifist living under occupation. . .Can such a teaching stand the test of time in today's world?. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Scientist Who Dug Into Hell In Siberia And Recorded The Cries Of The Damned Soul / How Old Was Adam When God Created Him? / Buhari And The Born Again Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.