Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,107 members, 7,949,808 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 07:30 PM

A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER - Fashion (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER (150308 Views)

Looking For Styles To Sew Check In Here / DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:04pm On Oct 17, 2013
EFOSA VAL:

Same thing applies to the upper bust, and under bust
Upper Bust 39 ÷2 =19.5 +5 =24.5

Under bust 36 ÷2=16 +5 =21

Now I will place my fabric on fold. Mark out 2 inch for the botton area.

Then I mark out my neck area am using 3inch across my shoulder and 2.5inch for shoulder down.

I then measure out my point to point which placed on fold will be 4.note that I must add seam allowance to this 4 which would make it 4.5

My shoulder is 16
16÷2= 8 placed on fold
I shall also add seam allowance 1inch to it

Note that the 2inch for botton is still there .now divide the 1inch by 2 ,we have half and add it to the 8 we have 8.5 on our shoulder. Out of it I will take 3 inch for my neck the rest is for shoulder.

So I placed my upper bust ,bust,under bust measurement using my length and circumference

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:13pm On Oct 17, 2013
All that story and drawings. This is the main thing.

Toluh thanks o cheesy

I used my divided measurements to cut out my front bodies using my point to point measurement which is 8 to get the front opening .when placed on fold it will be 4.also I need to add seam allowance that gives me 4.5 after my 2inch for bottom area

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 11:32pm On Oct 17, 2013
From shoulder I measured all my length area down.that helped me to know where to place all my circumference area on the accurate line of my length

Which are first I take out my full length 26+ 2 for seam= 28 .

Seam allowance 1inch for shoulder joining

Neck depth 2.5 after sawing it will be 3"inch

Upper bust 8 on that line I will place my 24.5 on fold

Bust line is 11,on that line I placed my 25 on fold too.

Under bust is 14, on that line I will make sure I get 23 placed on fold by reducing the measurement.at this point I will cut out the exccess from the mid point after my point to point which I made 4.5 placed on fold

The next step is to cut it out on fabric and lining.

Hope the pictures tell the story more.

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:40am On Oct 18, 2013
Here is the back.

I take 2inch first for the center seam at the back
I still use my upper burst .burst and under burst measurements divided by 2 plus 5 inch for seam to get my back

The only difference is that I am not going to shape out that burst curve I shaped for the front

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 1:01am On Oct 18, 2013
How did I get that line coming from the arm hole down?

From where my shoulder stops I measured 1inch down for my shoulder slant.then I measured 5inch down again.I then connected it to my point to point measurement which is 4.5

1 Share

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 1:05am On Oct 18, 2013
Next is to add my air stay to my cut out prices then I iron through to make it stick on.

Pls feel free to ask questions o. grin

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by goforwardagu: 9:00am On Oct 18, 2013
Tis is so cool Efosa,u av given us so much to do for the day grin

so clear and easy to understand

welldone dearie

will get back to u on questions smiley
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 9:48am On Oct 18, 2013
[b][/b]
goforwardagu: Tis is so cool Efosa,u av given us so much to do for the day grin

so clear and easy to understand

welldone dearie

will get back to u on questions smiley

Thanks so much dear. cheesy hope to see ur project soon too wink
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Shampy: 11:28am On Oct 18, 2013
Hi Efosah, d diagram for d back is not showing can u pls put it up again? Thanks and keep up d good work.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by CelebrityP: 11:45am On Oct 18, 2013
There r some learners in d house,pls brk down a liitle, after folding d material into two(first step rit,after measuring?)
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by goforwardagu: 2:47pm On Oct 18, 2013
pls Efosa,i dont understand d shoulder.y did u use .5inch for d shoulder slant

secondly, for d back,u dint remove d dart. witout removing d dart wont it luk shapeless at d back?

thank u so much for ur time,God bless u real gud smiley
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 4:15pm On Oct 18, 2013
Hummmm first of.......jacket is not dress o.so beginner's in the house forgive me if it looks like I am very fast. Secondly I told u guys of my memory card issues..... Well still having it but I will try my best to post as many as I can.

Yes the shape at the back issue......u must shape it na cheesy remember my burst is 39 waist is 35 hip is 42 so the shape will be there.but it won't be like the front where the burst cup will come out.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 5:36pm On Oct 18, 2013
All the long and short of the matter here is what my almost finished project looks like......... grin don't worry I shall explain step by step even if it means going over it again wink

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 8:01pm On Oct 18, 2013
For the benefit of those who are not up to speed. grin grin cheesy

Here we go again. wink

Take the circumference measurement of your bust ,waist, and hip.now divide all the result into two equal parts.

Name the two parts A and B. A is for the front, B is for the back.

Also take the measurement of your breast nipple to nipple that's what I call point to point.it will help us know where to place that seam line where the pocket is placed over
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by glamourprincez: 8:36pm On Oct 18, 2013
How to of d pocket please
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by CuteXclaim(f): 8:58pm On Oct 18, 2013
Efosa welldone. I understand everything word 4 word, except for "I then measure out my point to point which placed on fold will be 4. note that I must add seam allowance to this 4 which would make it 4.5"
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by CuteXclaim(f): 9:01pm On Oct 18, 2013
I got it now. Never mind point to point means d gap between d nipple. Pardon me Efosa.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 9:13pm On Oct 18, 2013
glamour princez: How to of d pocket please

Pls dear let me do that one for u tomorrow hopefully by then I would have finished the back and front explanation, just for the sake of beginners you know we had to start again for them grin

Now have u done the steps from my previous post?

Now the results you got for A and B...............let's start with A (front)
Add 5 inch to all the results individually. This 5inch is for seam.1.5 x2 =3 inch this will be used as side seam on both sides.then we are left with 2 inch from our 5.
Remember that point to point line I told u to take the measurement, on those seams we shall put 1inch each on the as seam too,that makes 2 which completes the 5 I told u to add.

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 9:20pm On Oct 18, 2013
CuteXclaim: Efosa welldone. I understand everything word 4 word, except for "I then measure out my point to point which placed on fold will be 4. note that I must add seam allowance to this 4 which would make it 4.5"

CuteXclaim: I got it now. Never mind point to point means d gap between d nipple. Pardon me Efosa.

cheesy awwww thanks hun. Am glad you do now cheesy
I promise I will take it easy from now on wink
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by prompt(f): 2:05am On Oct 19, 2013
Efosa thanks 4 d info so far. My question is on the armhole, does de 5inches 4 armhole start afta the 1 inch shoulder slant is taken off the full jacket lenght.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 6:34pm On Oct 21, 2013
So sorry guys that I couldn't come online since than but anyways I hope some of us who understand the process would have started.but those who don't I will say don't worry soon you will get a hang of trust me wink

Now still on the process of transferring our measurement to fabric.so let's go cheesy
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 6:43pm On Oct 21, 2013
prompt: Efosa thanks 4 d info so far. My question is on the armhole, does de 5inches 4 armhole start afta the 1 inch shoulder slant is taken off the full jacket lenght.

No I first did my 1inch slant.after that I took my 5inch.note that that 5inch will become 4 after sewing coz I will use 1 inch for seam.half on the shoulder.half on that line across the bust
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 6:53pm On Oct 21, 2013
Here is a picture to show what am saying.hope it helps u. smiley

Pls u can ask questions also u can start posting some of your project work even though its not compleated.wink

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 7:42pm On Oct 21, 2013
EFOSA VAL:

Pls dear let me do that one for u tomorrow hopefully by then I would have finished the back and front explanation, just for the sake of beginners you know we had to start again for them grin

Now have u done the steps from my previous post?

Now the results you got for A and B...............let's start with A (front)
Add 5 inch to all the results individually. This 5inch is for seam.1.5 x2 =3 inch this will be used as side seam on both sides.then we are left with 2 inch from our 5.
Remember that point to point line I told u to take the measurement, on those seams we shall put 1inch each on the as seam too,that makes 2 which completes the 5 I told u to add.

The next step is to transfer the measurement to fabric. U will do this by placing your fabric on fold. Measure out 2 inch for front lap.then measure your shoulder out of your fabric placed on fold.mine is 16.on fold will be 8.but i will cut 9 coz of seam.out of that 9 placed on fold,i will get out my neck.I used 3 inch for mine neck .
Next is to mark your measurement of your bust by length.that is from shoulder down to or up bust.shoulder down to or bust and shoulder down to or under bust .so we can know where to place the divided circumference measurement of the bust.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 7:47pm On Oct 21, 2013
Here is a daigram to explain my long gist smiley

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 8:34pm On Oct 21, 2013
Using my measurement ,after the division I got 24.5 @ up bust ,25 @ bust and 23 @under bust. Waist 22.5,hip 26.

In all its the hip measurement that's more 26.divide 26 into 2 = 13 thats our place fold measurement

So after the 2inch for flap infront,mark out 13.now go back to the 2inch for the front lap.make sure u are on the bust area and mark out you nipple to nipple of your bust measurement add half inch for the seam. Go to the other extream end of ur fabric mark out your side seam allowance.after this mark what's left this is the second side of the joining where your pocket will be placed over

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by temithayor: 11:31pm On Oct 21, 2013
@EFOSA Welldone and good job. For the armhole, do I have to add 1 inch allowance so its not tight after the joining of the dart that ends at the armhole. My actual arm hole is 9 inches

Secondly you talked about adding air stay to the cuts.were do I add this stay? Is it at the front where buttons would be or where?

Thirdly, would the stay be betweem the fabric and the lining
or on the lining.

Also which one is air stay, I know about soft and hard.

Lastly, how do u get the neck and front to have like taping from the lining ? I mean the green contrast running from neck down the front where buttons would be. Sorry I be learner o.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by lechiffre: 1:52am On Oct 22, 2013
News!!! Just loaded and free of charge. Contact 232E12C2 now get more details
If you are interested in
Guide to open an Accessories Store
- Guide to Become an Actor 
- Guide to Become a Bridal Salon Owner
- Guide to Become an Event Planner 
- Guide to Become a Fashion Designer
- Guide to Become a Professional Photographer 
- Guide to Become a Fashion stylist
then let's get started.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 3:32am On Oct 22, 2013
lechiffre: News!!! Just loaded and free of charge. Contact 232E12C2 now get more details
If you are interested in
Guide to open an Accessories Store
- Guide to Become an Actor 
- Guide to Become a Bridal Salon Owner
- Guide to Become an Event Planner 
- Guide to Become a Fashion Designer
- Guide to Become a Professional Photographer 
- Guide to Become a Fashion stylist
then let's get started.

Please do not derail this thread. Try to stay on topic and contribute or don't post @ all. Thnx
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 3:34am On Oct 22, 2013
GOod job guys,efosa u r a darling:-) people try to upload pics of ur work in progress so the thread is more interesting n so efosa n other participants can c what ur doing ok?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 7:08am On Oct 22, 2013
onnari :
GOod job guys,efosa u r a darling:-) people try to upload pics of ur work in progress so the thread is more interesting n so efosa n other participants can c what ur doing ok?

cheesy cheesy cheesy big hugs from me dear.we don miss you well o! And thanks for keeping this topic safe wink it just adds to the fun I get here. grin
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 7:34am On Oct 22, 2013
temithayor: @EFOSA Welldone and good job. For the armhole, do I have to add 1 inch allowance so its not tight after the joining of the dart that ends at the armhole. My actual arm hole is 9 inches

Secondly you talked about adding air stay to the cuts.were do I add this stay? Is it at the front where buttons would be or where?

Thirdly, would the stay be betweem the fabric and the lining
or on the lining.

Also which one is air stay, I know about soft and hard.

Lastly, how do u get the neck and front to have like taping from the lining ? I mean the green contrast running from neck down the front where buttons would be. Sorry I be learner o.

No probs dear we all be learner jare cheesy

I shall answer all your questions.pls just give me some time dear..........thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (34) (Reply)

Sonam Kapoor Style Diva / Lingerie! A Must Have! / Hack - Game Of War Fire Age - GOW Hack MOD Apk Android Tested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.