Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,610 members, 7,917,954 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 07:03 PM

A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER - Fashion (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER (149639 Views)

Looking For Styles To Sew Check In Here / DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by elektra(f): 8:17pm On Nov 29, 2013
Gudy O, well done! Your work looks sooo good.

I vote for the long, light brown chiffon dress, the first Onnari posted.

I also support Cheries suggestion.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Adaeze003(f): 12:14pm On Nov 30, 2013
Poka dot blue dress with white collar. Have been following but might join this time. smiley
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Nobody: 7:58pm On Nov 30, 2013
I ve been following this thread silently, a big thank u to Efosa val and Onnari, thank u for sharing ur knowledge with us, God bless u. Pls can we make this blouse I love it so much

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Jumper44: 9:24pm On Nov 30, 2013
Hi , am a fashion designer but lots of people do asked me if I know those in the field below but am not able to be of help but when I found this new website , I think it is better to put it across to you for anyone who needs your service to find or locate you and its FREE ADVERT to help naija fashion industry grow . Are you a :
Boutique owner
Fashion journalist
Fashion instructor
Pattern maker
Fashion stylist
Fashion illustrator
CAD Fashion designer
Fashion accessory designer ( ankara or fabrics accessories maker )
Fashion designer
Men wear designer
Women wear designer
Children’s wear designer
Bridal wear designer
Costume designer
Sport wear designer
Label designer
Visual merchandiser
Fashion wholesaler or exporter
Retailer Manager
Fashion buyer
Get your business name listed on www.naijafashiondesigner.com FREE .
send your business career( if 2 or more ,indicate them), business name , location(including city and state )phone number(optional) and email address to update@naijafashiondesigner.com
For more information contact us at info@naijafashiondesigner.com or pin 22880763
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Nobody: 11:12am On Dec 01, 2013
Hi onari & efosa, donknw if dis seems like a draw-back, but I found dis gown irresistible, so here is mine , I just had 2 find time & d right fabric for it. I wud like corrections pls. One more thing, I av little issues with sleeves, pls I'd lik u to put us tru ow to measure & cut diff kinds of sleeves(if dats possible, esp sleeve dat won't have pleats or gathers ie wat is called cap sleeve). Thank u

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 9:19pm On Dec 01, 2013
@simbiat- ur dress looks pretty, well done! I notice the right shoulder looks wider and a bit higher than the left although u don't know if its just your posture. And then if you could take up the length of the dress a little I think it would be more flattering.
This is a really good effort and I'm so proud of you all.
One last thing, remember to notch your princess seams to avoid puckering, and next time make you sleeve with an interfacing- it looks neater than the hem seams.

A sleeve tutorial would be put together subsequently. You aren't the only one who's asked! Lots of mails have come in asking that same question :-)
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 9:31pm On Dec 01, 2013
So from the look of things we are going to be doing the blue polka dot dress, #The Modcloth Sew Along. I agree with cherries on the voting and all but it's going to be a tad awkward due to the fact that fashion being spontaneous n all, changes and we might love different stuff at different points in time so creating a project schedule for a whole year might not fly cos we might have to change two or more projects.

Now back to the December sew along, good thing the dress isn't complicated or time consuming cos I have an unbelievable schedule and so pressed for time and Tutorials have to be completed by month end or thereabout.
For those who haven't sent in their previous work (me inclusive) we would have a review towards the beginning of January right from the Sika sew along to the December sew along.

There's a major change I'll be making here- for the blue polka dot dress, I won't be doing a tie as I prefer a scallop collar.(same white contrast, but the edges would be scallop shaped and there wouldn't be a tie on mine) It's the same basic process so those who want the tie thingy won't feel left out as I'll go through that as well.
D get ur fabrics ready people. Measurements and sewing materials for the sew along would be posted tomorrow ( December 2)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 10:45pm On Dec 01, 2013
Have a good night y'all!

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Nobody: 10:07am On Dec 02, 2013
@ onari thanks 4 d observation, I'd really appreciate a sleeve tutorial asap. As 4 d dress being pretty, I'm flattered. Thanks very much, appreciate
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:48pm On Dec 02, 2013
You welcome simbiat.
so before posting material notes for our december sew along, i want to add a little tip on sleeves. For those making jackets now or later, if you are going to be using a Two piece sleeve like efosa did or a one piece sleeve that's cut like a two piece sleeve,note that these sleeves are preferable to one piece sleeves for jackets because of the way they are shaped. Our arms are naturally in an arc and not straight all the to so the sleeves are shaped that way. (You' can see fromthe sketch that the sleeves are slightly skewed- I placed straight and skewed arrows inside the sleeve pieces so you can compare the angles)
When cut straight, the advantage of the two piece is practically lost.
The first photo is a two piece sleeve and the second is a one piece sleeve that's cut like a two piece sleeve....
The arrows on the one piece shows where the joining seam goes.

Watch out for the sleeve tutorial.

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:54pm On Dec 02, 2013
Material notes for the Modcloth Sew Along:

Fabric
Underlinning(optional)
Fabric stay.
Sewing kit,sewing machine.
Zipper.

Measurements

Shoulder,
Armhole
Bust
Apex
Under bust (length and circumference)
Waistline
Bodice (length and circumference)
Dress length
Neckline

Questions are welcome, fabric pics can be sent in. I'll be getting my fabric the day after tomorrow(Wednesday) so I'll post pics of that immediately I do as well as post the Sew along schedule/ time table.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Nobody: 10:50pm On Dec 02, 2013
@onari I hope two yards of fabric wud be enough ie if it is 60" in length? Then please I'd b makin mine with sleeves so kindly factor me into ur plans. Thanks loads
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:49am On Dec 03, 2013
@simbiat two yards would do. Aldo get a contrasting coloured fabric for your lapel. The sleeve aspect would be taken care of via the sleeve tutorial.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 9:16am On Dec 03, 2013
Onari good to know u back,this thread was turning into ghost mood.cheesy anyway welcome back
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by ibufunky: 4:45pm On Dec 03, 2013
Hello,thanks Onnari nd Efosa for this sew along,it has rili
been of immense help to me. Just came across it,and
I went through it all from the silka dress. I would post
The pic,so u can see it,though I made a litl alteratns to
Mine. Thanks fr addin value to our lives.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by ibufunky: 5:05pm On Dec 03, 2013
Here it is

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by GudyO(f): 10:36am On Dec 04, 2013
cryplease can the house help me out. I'm supposed to make this dress for someone but do not know where to place the darts. Please, is there a way it is included in the flat piping. And how please. It's really urgent. Thanks in advance.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by tolukem(f): 4:19pm On Dec 04, 2013
@ Guddy O, I think the darts should be place from the. Apex of the breast or from the under burst
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 4:41pm On Dec 04, 2013
Onnari - I like the blue dress too... its really pretty.

Can you show us a picture of the back of the dress.

I hope to be able to make it. I'm really behind with my sewing and all.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 8:55pm On Dec 05, 2013
@ibifunky, your dress is beautiful. well done.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by ibufunky: 10:01pm On Dec 05, 2013
Gudy O,from the pic,I dnt think der is a dart der,I guess dt piping served as the dart
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 7:58am On Dec 06, 2013
Gudy O.:
cryplease can the house help me out. I'm supposed to make this dress for someone but do not know where to place the darts. Please, is there a way it is included in the flat piping. And how please. It's really urgent. Thanks in advance.

Hi pips the december rush is biting hard on me that's why I haven't been coming online here.
Anyways to answer Gudy O.
Its not every dress that needs a dart.this perticular picture has no dart on it.so all u will need is ur bust ,waist and hip measurement.hopefully ur clients waist line is smaller than her bust and hip line so that an hour glass shape can be achieved.hope this helps u cheesy
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Jumper44: 6:09pm On Dec 06, 2013
If you are indeed into fashion business go and advertise your product at www.naijafashiondesigners.com free of charge
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by ibufunky: 7:55pm On Dec 06, 2013
@wizb,thanks
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:03pm On Dec 06, 2013
@ yodiyokun- yeah I got the back view. I'll post that monday along wth my fabric. Got it on wednesday. Pls bear with me guys. Time isn my buddy @ all # duty calls. Working on kicking off the sew along coming week.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Nobody: 11:31am On Dec 07, 2013
This is my fabric 4 d sew along.thank u

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by igbi: 10:15pm On Dec 07, 2013
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:51am On Dec 08, 2013
Hi igbi I clicked on the page but didn't see the image
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by marylandcakes: 6:56pm On Dec 08, 2013
This is the final product of the dress, although it didnt turn out as perfect as i would have loved it to. This is my very first time of sewing a dress and i hope the mistakes i have made on this one will help me to improve on my next project. Any comments or ways to improve are welcome from the experts in the house.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by elektra(f): 9:20pm On Dec 08, 2013
Aaarrrh! I have been trying to upload pictures of my fabric but it takes too long and the connection times out.

Onnari, is it OK to replace the fabric stay with gum stay?

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Yvete(f): 3:07am On Dec 09, 2013
#Follows thread: If I won't be too busy to log in, I'd like to post frequent updates of my new path to dressmaking. I've always loved to sew and buy lots of beautiful fabric without a thread or needle. Lolz. ... I've never used a sewing machine or cut fabric so my biggest fear is cutting the fabric right. Should I start with sewing patterns? How do i get around cutting a fabric? I got inspired by this lady's blog. She sews beautifully.

I'm using Youtube tutorials and some DIY DVDs. I'm not sure what brand of sewing machine to get - Brother, Singer or Kenmore? Can anyone advise?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Nobody: 6:25am On Dec 09, 2013
Hi all,
I'm new here though I've been following the thread. Would love to start sewing too. Any advise on the kind of machine one should get?

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (34) (Reply)

Lingerie! A Must Have! / Sonam Kapoor Style Diva / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.