Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,155 members, 7,890,908 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 12:09 AM

DV 2014 Winners Meet Here - Travel (204) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here (431397 Views)

US VISA LOTTERY,DV-2014 Program-online Registration! / DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / Dv 2012 Result Is Out ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) ... (264) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Vikktorr(m): 2:17pm On Jan 01, 2014
Happy New Year people... This year will bring us all so much joy and fulfilment.

Congrats once again to those who have received their Visas.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by chinny2014(m): 2:24pm On Jan 01, 2014
plz @ Mr obatide & Mr Justiwise, dis issue abt creating a new thread is seriously derailing our discusions here, lets just apply maturity here to resolve dis issue,2 wrongs can NEVER make a right.i beleive all of us can agree on a consensus point and move on, and d earlier d better plz as i respect u guys to be gentleman in dis issue henceforth,looking forward for dt,PEACE
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by kevweflex(m): 3:09pm On Jan 01, 2014
Happy New Year to all. It's New Year let's merry, BTW, would have loved to post an important resource but for the atmosphere of the thread, I'd rather wait for the right time.

1 Like

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jan 01, 2014
Obatide and many say create; Justwise and a few say dont create. And that's how we found ourselves dancing in circles with no real progress.

Abeg time is ticking and I need as much info as possible before leaving the shores of Naija, so I suggest we go beyond debating whether to create a new thread or not and just go to the referred thread to ask our questions and see if those DV2013 winners who are already in the US will actually come around to answer our inquiries. If they do, then good, we continue with the thread but if they dont then we obviously need a new thread with life.

My humble suggestion.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by tosinjoe(m): 3:34pm On Jan 01, 2014
I thought they used to say d majority has it... Well post and pre migration aint same, whenever Mr. Justwise allows u Mr. Obatide to create d thread, kindly leave d link uphere, I'd b hoping...
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Godsspeed: 4:53pm On Jan 01, 2014
ernestleon: Happy New Year to you all, may God grant us our hearts desires Amen
Amen Bro! Long time, how has it been? Wishing u a memorable 2014!
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by ernestleon(m): 5:06pm On Jan 01, 2014
Godsspeed: Amen Bro! Long time, how has it been? Wishing u a memorable 2014!
Thanks Boss, I'm just here preparing for my trip come February.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by olutola1: 7:39pm On Jan 01, 2014
kevwe_flex: Happy New Year to all. It's New Year let's merry, BTW, would have loved to post an important resource but for the atmosphere of the thread, I'd rather wait for the right time.
Hmmnn.. the atmosphere want to make me selfishly ask you to PM me the important resource smiley ...we don't wanna start that.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by ako1234: 9:17am On Jan 02, 2014
Please forumites i'm new hear,can someone pose or share some of the questions n response during his/her interview.This would help others to prepare well ahead of their upcoming interview.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by buklan4realyah(f): 9:50am On Jan 02, 2014
Hapi new year to my e-families...... Its our year of Manifestation of His New Glory! So shall it b In Jesus Name. 2014, Testimonies Galoure is our portion.

Pls, let's continue d thread, d suggested new thread has already bin created let's read tru all d Topics on Travel Forum. All neccessary Informations had bin discussed dere. If u nd I add our post on d thread it will b lively again.....

Cheers! Luv u all
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by praiseG: 9:57am On Jan 02, 2014
Happy New year.please house ...can my uscis fee be paid for from Europe while am still in naija cos my fear is since is only paid tru usa account.I need ur advice cos a friend wants to assist me on that from Europe
also paying the uscis fee now and traveling around March.does this means that the gc will be ready and delivered to my address in the states.pls urgent advice is needed here
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Nobody: 9:57am On Jan 02, 2014
[b]Hello good people, I'm a visa lottery winner and I have some questions that I would be glad to get answers to from those already in the US:

1) Can I use my Nigerian and/or an international driver's license in the US and for how long?

2) Can I get a house and a car while I pay instalmentally by making deductions from my monthly pay?

3) How easy is it to start a small business in the US? Is it easy to get a store and use it for business as it is done in Nigeria?

4) How do I get health insurance? How easy is this and am I qualified being a PR?

5) How easy is it to get a loan for business and for asset buying? What bank would you recommend as regards account opening?

6) If I should change my address after entering the US, will it affect my greencard and SSN arrival?

7) How do I apply for the SSN, national and state ID cards?

cool Is there an age limit for certain jobs like we have in Nigeria? In Nigeria, most banks dont employ people older than 25 years.

9) How do I improve my credit rating? What should I do and not do in order to improve my credit rating?

10) Is it advisable to marry an American? I'm a young man and a typical African man (you know what I mean), would you advise me to marry there in the US? Are there consequences that may come to haunt me later in life?

11) How much should I have on me while moving to the US considering how long it would take to get a job?

12) If I entered the US today as a DV lottery winner, how long would it take to get a job and settle down considering all the papers I would have to process?

13) Do I need to get a generic reference letter from my employer here in Nigeria before relocating to present to potential employers in the US?

I would be extremely grateful if those already in the US could provide answers to these questions.

Thank you and happy new year!
[/b]

1 Like

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Madu77(m): 10:40am On Jan 02, 2014
@My brother Obatide, You are indeed wonderful. It is a great idea and a creative idea to help all. I can suggest if you can go ahead with the new thread it could be called "LIVING IN USA OR LIFE IN USA" I mean I was touched on a post I just read on how somebody said that even your dad can eject you in USA. Everybody is serious and even my own uncle that just came back 2days ago has been telling me that life in america is independent. It is a dim light for me but am not scared.
If we have the new thread, like someone post earlier how the sister helped a family that was stranded to get an accomodation, also my friend called me that told me the hell they passed through in the hands of the family that accomodated them; let those who have crossed over share exclusively on the thread which will help those preparing to go to put their asses together.

Just want to say happy new year to all the members of Nairaland. May God who saw us thru" 2013 smoothen our path for favors, goodness, promotion, open doors and abundant grace in Jesus name .....Amen

Obatide: Greeting to Everybody
Thanks for the intelligent we have all displayed to analyze one of my posts, I duly appreciate both reactions, at least, it makes people to contribute and share their honest feeling, God bless us all.
In summary
1. It shows we are all one big family and need more information to succeed on this journey whilst keeping in touch as mates even in America.
2. Those who argued against creation of the new thread, said so not to abandon this current one while those in support share that too, but in addition, they considered rules guiding posting on Nl as well.
What prompts me to suggest a thread for ‘that’ purpose are:
I Observed that
1. Most of members who have had their visas approved are not that active on the thread unlike their activities before interview except very few of them. Do u notice that too?
2. This thread, ‘2014 Dv winners meet here’ deals with necessary process needed to have a successful interview
3. The thread; ‘Diversity visa immigrant? Welcome to America’ contains information we need after arriving America (I have been a regular poster there too, pls read). Hence, the stage between Successful approval of visa and Arrival in USA has not been comprehensively discussed like the two mentioned threads.
4. Most of 2013 people do try their best to assist on information there but work don’t give them that total freedom as in my personal chat with some of them to ensure they contribute regularly on 2014 thread, you will hear something like ‘You wouldn’t understand until you get here, because time is money here in America, but I do reply those who mailed memy concern is what happen to people who don’t have their mail or social medial handle but need such info too?
5. There is need to graduate the processes, which I believe will keep us together. Say
a. 2014 Dv winners meet here; process towards interview
b. Yet to be created thread; planning Migration after successful Interview
c. Diversity visa immigrant? Welcome to America; settling down in USA
My submission
1. I appeal and promise that this thread will not suffer as a result of graduated process
2. Having a graduated process will bond us together the more and give each segment a full sense of belonging
3. There will not be deviation from Subject matters of each thread; hence NL rule will be kept.
Conclusion
I have no inferior motive behind creation of the thread and don’t think NL pays those who have created topics before, so my motive is to enable us rub mind together on every stage of the process to avoid extortions and exploitations by Agents.
Therefore, I suggest that if anybody could edit this topic; ‘Preparation for Migration after Diversity visa Approval’ before it’s finally created, I will appreciate it.

Thanks and Wishing you all a Happy and Properous Year 2014!
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by ItyRoyal(m): 10:55am On Jan 02, 2014
ako1234: Please forumites i'm new hear,can someone pose or share some of the questions n response during his/her interview.This would help others to prepare well ahead of their upcoming interview.

@ako1234: happy new year and welcome to the forum. congratulations too on your selection. as to your question....i will strongly advise that you read through this thread possibly from page one....all the possible questions and suggested answers are fully loaded on those pages even the very most recent ones from forumites still present here. i hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by dixon4u(m): 11:24am On Jan 02, 2014
Please nairalanders, i'm finding it difficult to create my USCIS ELIS account. can anybody help me? its not even accepting my e-mail
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by XYZZ(m): 11:35am On Jan 02, 2014
Pls, try it again its very easy, what are u challenges pls?
dixon4u: Please nairalanders, i'm finding it difficult to create my USCIS ELIS account. can anybody help me? its not even accepting my e-mail
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by justwise(m): 11:42am On Jan 02, 2014
@All

Please lets not derail this thread with the debate about creating another thread because we have one already that can accommodate issues regarding preparing for US and life in US as a lottery winner.

You only create a new thread if there is need for it or if there no such thread existing already.

Thank you.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by dixon4u(m): 11:55am On Jan 02, 2014
can you just to me step by step because i was trying to create new account and it was not just accepting my e-mail (the first step)You have experienced a failure Please call the Help Desk at 1-800-375-5283.
XYZZ: Pls, try it again its very easy, what are u challenges pls?
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by praiseG: 12:25pm On Jan 02, 2014
praiseG: Happy New year.please house ...can my uscis fee be paid for from Europe while am still in naija cos my fear is since is only paid tru usa account.I need ur advice cos a friend wants to assist me on that from Europe
also paying the uscis fee now and traveling around March.does this means that the gc will be ready and delivered to my address in the states.pls urgent advice is needed here
am still waiting for kind response
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jan 02, 2014
Y'all new immigrants to the US need to read this, it deals with such issues as accommodation, healthcare, documentation, citizenship and much more:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Malcolm28(m): 3:57pm On Jan 02, 2014
Happy New Year everybody. This is wishing us all a brilliant year ahead. To all forumites awaiting 2NL, interview or relocation to the US and to those already in the US and searching for jobs etc, the Lord will favor us all and make it easy for us.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by ItyRoyal(m): 5:12pm On Jan 02, 2014
Malcolm28: Happy New Year everybody. This is wishing us all a brilliant year ahead. To all forumites awaiting 2NL, interview or relocation to the US and to those already in the US and searching for jobs etc, the Lord will favor us all and make it easy for us.

Amen Malcolm28: happy new year....you have scarce on the forum, how far with your preparations? regards to the family
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by praiseG: 6:34pm On Jan 02, 2014
Good people. Please I need your clarification on the issue of transcript to Wes.though I've checked the site but still dnt get all.my question is that is it my school here that will send it to wes or what's my role there to play.also does this transcript sent to wes has validity period pending the time of any need for it.thank u all and pls respond

1 Like

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by EgbonBode: 8:13pm On Jan 02, 2014
General Advice Number 1

I have never been to US but I presently leave and work in UK and I am hoping to relocate to US after my interview. I wish to advice anyone who can not drive now and above 18 traveling to stay in US to learn driving before coming to US. Even if you can not make it to the stage of passing drive test before leaving Nigeria. It is very expensive learning to drive in all these advance countries. You will still pay to learn to drive in US even if you know how to drive in Nigeria but if you know how to drive in Nigeria before coming you will spend less on learning how to drive. In UK you pay about 20pounds for each hour you learn driving with driving instructor (Most people that knows how to drive spend more than 10 hours to learn to obtain their driving licence). For safety reasons they are not careless about giving out driving licence, testing people for driving licence is much more thorough

1 Like

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by samolaniyi: 8:49pm On Jan 02, 2014
praiseG: Good people. Please I need your clarification on the issue of transcript to Wes.though I've checked the site but still dnt get all.my question is that is it my school here that will send it to wes or what's my role there to play.also does this transcript sent to wes has validity period pending the time of any need for it.thank u all and pls respond

You are responsible to send your transcript to WES.You can do this by going to your school where you graduated and apply for transcript to be sent to WES.If you check there web site,you will find the adress where the transcript should be sent to.

Transcript does not have validity period and does not expired.Once it is sent WES,it can be sent to as many company,school and organisation as possible.

I hope this help.

1 Like

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by olutola1: 9:03pm On Jan 02, 2014
praiseG: Good people. Please I need your clarification on the issue of transcript to Wes.though I've checked the site but still dnt get all.my question is that is it my school here that will send it to wes or what's my role there to play.also does this transcript sent to wes has validity period pending the time of any need for it.thank u all and pls respond
Thanks for this question. I know a little but would like others to enlighten us more.
WES stands for World Education Services. It's an International Credential
Evaluation platform (visit www.wes.org). The advantage of WES is that, the transcript provided through them is trusted, recognized and acceptable by International Universities and educational bodies.
Now to your question, I believe it's important you register an account first and early on their website. Then, download a form to be taken to your faculty/dept. in school.
Fill the form and submit to your school/Faculty/Dept*, it would authorize/instruct them to send your transcript to WES. Now, it may involve some payment to your school to expedite process of sending your transcript to WES.
Once your transcript gets to WES, it would be converted to US GPA*. The converted result, I believe can be sent to your intending School by WES on your instruction. Your transcript, I believe should be available as long as WES exist.*
I guess you might be able to view/download* your new transcript.

*NEEDS SUPPORTING EVIDENCE
Hope this helps...

(1) (2) (3) ... (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) ... (264) (Reply)

Main Reasons Many Are Refused Visas / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.