Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,107 members, 7,887,228 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 02:31 AM

Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? (19548 Views)

Aba: A City In Ruins / Historian help!Which city was the first capital of Nigeria?Calabar,zungeru,lagos / Which City In Nigeria Would You Like To Live In? Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Inik(m): 2:41pm On May 05, 2013
Port harcourt and Warri

1 Like

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by EkoIle1: 2:44pm On May 05, 2013
@ OP. Jos is indeed a cosmo city, but Lagos remains the most cosmo for several reasons that Jos lacks.

The most cosmo has to be the main commercial center

It has to be the cultural and entertainment center

It has to be the food, style and fashion center

It has to be Embracing and multi cultural

It has to be religiously tolerant

Lagos is the only place in Nigeria where you find all the above....

3 Likes

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by badmeat(m): 2:47pm On May 05, 2013
Las boko haram city!very CURSEmopolitan city,
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by fubbyy(m): 2:47pm On May 05, 2013
Going by what I understand as cosmopolitan then the title of the thread should be "after lagos which other city is more cosmopolitan in nigeria"

I was born in ph, did primary sch in ph and secondary in owerri, university in calabar, spent 1 year in jos,always visit lagos and abuja and have been to north(kaduna,kano and katsina)

Among all these places there's something about lagos, a place I can slap any man of my size without thinking where he's from, a place a ghanian locked up his nigerian landlord for six days for breaking his door

A place everything is represented,what ever you want to buy and didn't see it in lagos, forget about it its not in nigeria,Lagos is full of mix up,Once you got street credibility lagos is yours

Abuja is too decent for me(if you understand what I mean)though no ethnic group owns it which is what makes it a cosmopolitan city but too many division of classes(though this doesn't count)

Jos is ok but I spent 1 year there recently when fear has taken over the city,you walk in to a restaurant and speak loud every1 became scared, I only heard how it was all nice in 90's

Ph is almost like lagos so I don't have much to explain here but you can't find anywhere so mixed up like lagos, is just a nigerian new york where all tribe represents

Calabar is cosmopolitan(not calabar south o) because of unical, if not for unical all you would be hearing is efik

Owerri is a typical igbo land, if you can't speak igbo loneliness will kill you

All north are still an hausa land as long as am concern,almost all the non hausa's know how to speak hausa,above all boko haram has messed it up

6 Likes

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Nobody: 2:58pm On May 05, 2013
floriana: Baga city
sadist
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Pretyangel25(f): 3:09pm On May 05, 2013
Lagos, Calabar, Akwa-Ibom
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Nobody: 3:23pm On May 05, 2013
Waffy (Warri). Pidgin is spoken here just like other cosmopolitan cities but the one spoken here is much advanced. No go there.

3 Likes

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by jummylaw(f): 3:27pm On May 05, 2013
Lasgidi n Jos noni!
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by ibabz(m): 3:28pm On May 05, 2013
Borno!
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by nwachineke00: 3:40pm On May 05, 2013
Lagos, Abuja, PH and of course Calabar
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by nwachineke00: 3:42pm On May 05, 2013
Pretyangel25: Lagos, Calabar, Akwa-Ibom

Is Akwa Ibom a city? Na wa!!!
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by nwachineke00: 3:44pm On May 05, 2013
bad meat: Las boko haram city!very CURSEmopolitan city,

LOOOOOOL
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by nwachineke00: 3:49pm On May 05, 2013
Banku&Tilapia:
Accra is da best and followed by Kumasi and one gud thing about these cities is dat der r no bombings and kidnappings. Muslims and Christians lives in harmony. grin cheesy grin grin grin cheesy grin cheesy

Charlie the Q is about cities in NIGERIA.... If the banku is making u disoriented change to akpu

1 Like

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Nobody: 3:52pm On May 05, 2013
cogitoErgo: I have been living in Jos for some time now and I just love the part of Jos I am. When I got to Jos, I discorverd that despite the fact that Jos is in a zone where hausa is a major language, you really do not need to speak this language before you flow in Jos and I have never encoutered anybody trying to cheat me in the market just because I do not speak their language. I have not been to the East but I know that in the West you could be seriously cheated in the market if its known you cannot speak yoruba!
Lagos, Ibadan, Kaduna, Kaduna, Jos, Kano, are all cosmopolitan but which one is the most cosmopolitan such that anybody from any part of the country could feel at home anytime anyday.

A cosmopolitan city is a city that embraces its multicultural demographics. To understand this concept, you must be a cosmopolite-must be widely travelled and be conversant with different cultures and values. The preponderance of a major ethnic group or the prevalence of a local dialect does not make a city less cosmopolitan- e.g Paris ,Moscow, Madrid, Hamburg, Salzburg.etc.

Based on the referred definition, the most cosmopolitan city in Nigeria is Abuja by reason of its status as a federal capital territory. By law, it must embraces all comers. However, since its status is defined by law, we must give the title to another city that is receptive to all Nigerians. Lagos naturally comes to mind, being the commercial hub of the nation. Unless you are a provincial prat, pardon my language, Lagos comes after Abuja as the most cosmopolitan city in Nigeria.

Others are Jos, Port-harcourt, Akure, Kaduna, Benin, Enugu, Ibadan, Minna, Asaba, Lokoja, Uyo, Calabar in no particular order

2 Likes

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by samfibby(m): 3:54pm On May 05, 2013
I give it to ABUJA. Everyone irrespective of your tribe is welcome. A mixture of all is really it.
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Ekefre(m): 4:09pm On May 05, 2013
uyo no doubt
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by EkoIle1: 4:24pm On May 05, 2013
percipi1:

A cosmopolitan city is a city that embraces its multicultural demographics. To understand this concept, you must be a cosmopolite-must be widely travelled and be conversant with different cultures and values. The preponderance of a major ethnic group or the prevalence of a local dialect does not make a city less cosmopolitan- e.g Paris ,Moscow, Madrid, Hamburg, Salzburg.etc.

Based on the referred definition, the most cosmopolitan city in Nigeria is Abuja by reason of its status as a federal capital territory. By law, it must embraces all comers. However, since its status is defined by law, we must give the title to another city that is receptive to all Nigerians. Lagos naturally comes to mind, being the commercial hub of the nation. Unless you are a provincial prat, pardon my language, Lagos comes after Abuja as the most cosmopolitan city in Nigeria.

Others are Jos, Port-harcourt, Akure, Kaduna, Benin, Enugu, Ibadan, Minna, Asaba, Lokoja, Uyo, Calabar in no particular order

Abuja is the opposite of what you stated because it is not welcoming to all and it's also a place where the rights of minorities are not only not recognized, but also legislated against with punitive laws and stiff jail sentences... It's a place full of degenerates like anti cosmopolitan homophobes and corrupt anti social elements..

People from all over the country are there only for a single and major reason and the reason is the seat of government and a place of work.

On holidays and holidays weekends, Abuja empties out to the real and.true cosmopolitan place which is lagos.. A place where as a nigerian, you don't have to look over your shoulders, where you are allowed to be yourself regardless or your religion, your language or tribal origin, your aget, sex or sex..ual orientation.

1 Like

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by codeine123: 4:25pm On May 05, 2013
Definitely JOS. Repping J town for life!!!!
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Reference(m): 4:33pm On May 05, 2013
My definition of cosmopolitan will be the lack or absence of ethnic enclaves. In that regards no city north of the Niger qualifies including your Jos where I once resided.

Lagos tops the list for obvious reasons though it has a long way to go. The politics at all levels is still controlled by the yoruba tribe. That is not ideal.
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by chioma134: 4:43pm On May 05, 2013
Abuja,because everyone can feel at home.Lagos too,after Abuja.
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Nobody: 4:45pm On May 05, 2013
Eko Ile:

Abuja is the opposite of what you stated because it is not welcoming to all and it's also a place where the rights of minorities are not only not recognized, but also legislated against with punitive laws and stiff jail sentences... It's a place full of degenerates like anti cosmopolitan homophobes and corrupt anti social elements..

People from all over the country are there only for a single and major reason and the reason is the seat of government and a place of work and on holidays and.week ends, the place empties out to the real and.true cosmopolitan place which is lagos.. A place where as a nigerian, you don't have to look over your shoulders, where you are allowed to be yourself regardless or your religion, your language or tribal origin, your aget, sex or sex..ual orientation.

I will have to disagree with you to the extent that the vices you associated with Abuja are prevalent in other cosmopolitan cities, even in Lagos. I found it easy to buy a piece of land in Abuja, than Lagos where I have to contend with Omo-onile. More so, there is this attitude of its our own regarding Abuja from all comers. whereas, In Lagos, there are limits. Since a cosmopolitan city must definitely embraces its cultural demographics, I am constraint to give it to Abuja because, it's the Law. However, Lagos definitely take the top spot if we exclude Abuja

You must agree with me, this once.
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Yeske2(m): 5:45pm On May 05, 2013
^^^
I go with that explanation.
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Abagworo(m): 5:58pm On May 05, 2013
Definition of cosmopolitan is so complex that everyone could be right according to his/her own belief. However cosmopolitan cities in the broad sense of it are those cities where you find almost every nation of the world like London, New-York, Paris, Hong-Kong, Cape Town etc. Port-Harcourt is very slightly cosmopolitan going by it having many Europeans, Asians and people from other countries.
However, no Nigerian city is cosmopolitan by international standard. By local standards we have Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt and Kano in that order.

In recent years, most Nigerian villages, towns and cities host multi-ethnic populations and its healthy for the growth of our nation.

1 Like

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by EkoIle1: 6:23pm On May 05, 2013
percipi1:

I will have to disagree with you to the extent that the vices you associated with Abuja are prevalent in other cosmopolitan cities, even in Lagos. I found it easy to buy a piece of land in Abuja, than Lagos where I have to contend with Omo-onile. More so, there is this attitude of its our own regarding Abuja from all comers. whereas, In Lagos, there are limits. Since a cosmopolitan city must definitely embraces its culturally demographics, I am constraint to give it to Abuja because, it's the Law. However, Lagos definitely take the top spot if we exclude Abuja

You must agree with me, this once.

Omo onile has nothing to do with cosmopolitan, this sounds more like a refelction of your own prejudice and they don't make laws targeting any minority groups in Lagos. It's called Nigeria's melting pot for a reason and also, lagos is the smallest and still th most populated place in Nigeria for a reason and the reason remains the fact that it's the most welcoming and tolerant place in Nigeria and if ABUJA is, why is Abuja not overflowing with 20 million Nigerians?.

There is nothign cosmopolitan About Abuja and Abuja is a city with no soul and destiny and it doesn't represent the average Nigerian's hope and aspirations.

To be welcoming and multicultural which is the major definition of cosmopolitan doesn't apply to Abuja since it's a place where laws are made to deny a segment of Nigerian their rights and even impose decades of years in jail. Cosmopolitan means inclusive and not exclusive like leaving any group out or behing.

Abuja as an entity is a represive place where common freedon of speech is not respected, it's a place where ordinary news reporters are thrown in jail and oppositions are hunted down like dogs.

This conversation is just conversation anyways because it's not only a know fact that Lagos is the most cosmopolitan place in Nigeria since the begining of Nigeria and it still is, but it's also documented and refer to as such...

Ordinary google coud have asnwered your question without this needless discusion.

Lagos is Nigeria's most cosmopolitan city

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Lagos.aspx

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by COMPAQ(m): 6:25pm On May 05, 2013
Symphony007: reaccess your brain and you'll see that it's not port harcourt you visited, no residential area? But port harcourt is the home to the most company headquaters after lagos. No malls or recration? Ever heard of everyday in GRA, genesis delux, icinema,silverbird,atrium,emporiom etc. As for roads i don't need to answer you because it'll embelish your ignorance. Wow..better retrace your steps to where you visited cause it's certainity not p.h city.

Jeez! Typical children on nairaland! Must your response contain insults? You won't go very far with such mentality you know! Learn to comment from an intellectual standpoint.
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by BarryX(m): 6:44pm On May 05, 2013
Port-harcourt, Warri, Lagos, Jos but ironically they're not cosmopolitan in their political offices which leaves much to be desired. Lagos would have topped the list if not for the Yoruba language influence. I still think you enjoy street credibility in Lagos if you have Yoruba handy for communication unlike the aforementioned cities.
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by nickxtra(m): 7:14pm On May 05, 2013
Have u ever been to Benin city? The most cospolitan city in Nigeria is Benin city. In lagos, Yoruba language dominate most transactions, in Abuja Hausa language comes to play, but in Benin everying is all about 'na for me and you,; no discrimination, Benin people are more cosmopolitan and civilised than any tribe in Nigeria. I rank Benin City and Port harcourt.
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by phantom(m): 7:22pm On May 05, 2013
COMPAQ: Lagos obviously!! I see a number of references to port Harcourt in the thread, and don't understand why. To me ph is a big disappointment. I was looking forward to moving here in 2006,but was very disappointed and so are many colleagues that moved at the same time so it's not about just me. We were all expecting much more. Ph has no proper middle class residential layout, no recreational facilities, no roads other than the few amaechi just dualised, no mall, no cultural events etc. The only thing to do here to go to eatery, drink and chase lousy chicks. Even the whole noise about ph girls has been proven be overated and once again, not by just me, but all my friends think so too!
you r a learner....you are yet to realise why PH is the MOST CODED CITY IN NIGERIA!
you jus dey come......ask question make we direct you... grin grin grin
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by ireneidiva(f): 7:56pm On May 05, 2013
Portharcourt all the way
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by otokx(m): 8:03pm On May 05, 2013
Port Harcourt all the way.
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Afam4eva(m): 8:09pm On May 05, 2013
COMPAQ: Lagos obviously!! I see a number of references to port Harcourt in the thread, and don't understand why. To me ph is a big disappointment. I was looking forward to moving here in 2006,but was very disappointed and so are many colleagues that moved at the same time so it's not about just me. We were all expecting much more. Ph has no proper middle class residential layout, no recreational facilities, no roads other than the few amaechi just dualised, no mall, no cultural events etc. The only thing to do here to go to eatery, drink and chase lousy chicks. Even the whole noise about ph girls has been proven be overated and once again, not by just me, but all my friends think so too!
Go and check the meaning of cosmopolitan in a dictionary.
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Symphony007: 8:09pm On May 05, 2013
COMPAQ:

Jeez! Typical children on nairaland! Must your response contain insults? You won't go very far with such mentality you know! Learn to comment from an intellectual standpoint.
you're right!! And i apologise!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ineffective Battle Against Insurgents: I Will Probe The Military - Buhari / No Certificate Of Return To Candidates Declared Winner Under Duress. - INEC / Electoral Act: Buhari’s Ministers Must Resign Before Primaries - APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.