Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,426 members, 7,911,056 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 12:33 AM

Words You Should Not Use As A Top Executive - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Words You Should Not Use As A Top Executive (705 Views)

8 Words You Need To Delete From Your Resume / Why Not Use Color To Impact Your Employee Mood? / 10 Toxic Words You Must Not Say In A Job Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Words You Should Not Use As A Top Executive by maclatunji: 12:30pm On May 06, 2013
Words to Never Use in the C-Suite
Larry Bonfante, CIO, United States Tennis Association

Language is a very powerful thing. Words convey not only meaning, but emotions as well.

I have seen individuals (and arguably nations) go to war over words. Therefore, the words you use when dealing with your C-level peers, as well as members of your boards of directors, are very important. Let's explore some words to use and avoid in these interactions:

Cost:
When discussing finances, always use the word "investment," never use the word "cost." Cost has the emotional impact of feeling like something that is lost. Even when spent wisely, cost suggests the money is gone and the value was gleaned at a single moment in time. Investment, on the other hand, suggests something that pays dividends and continues to provide a return on the money that was leveraged.

Any three-letter acronym: We in IT do love our acronyms. However, this is a foreign language for most of our peers and stakeholders. When engaging with business people, we should speak the language of business and finance. We should avoid any words or acronyms that only fellow "geeks" understand or care about. I actually fine my staff for using "Geek Speak" when engaging with our clients. Maybe you should too!

"I think...": The words "I think" in the wrong context can suggest a lack of confidence or commitment. Always portray a level of surety and expertise. That doesn't mean you can't express vulnerability. It just means you have to do so in a way that engenders confidence. Like the old commercial for an antiperspirant went: "Never let them see you sweat!"

"We can't...": There is always a way to accomplish an objective. That way may require additional funding, additional time, additional resources, or reprioritization. We can't is a defeatist attitude. "Let's explore alternative ways to accomplish this" suggests that you are open to innovate and rethink the variable involved in reaching a successful outcome.

"No" or "Yes": This may sound a little nutty to you. When I became CIO of the USTA, I found out that my two predecessors combined had not lasted four years! When I inquired as to why people felt this was the case, I was told that my immediate predecessor said "No" to every request. His predecessor said "Yes" to every request, but didn't deliver anything! I always tell my team that the answer to any request is neither "Yes" or "No" but "How." How can we collaborate to get the required support, funding, prioritization, and focus to succeed? The answer is always how!

"It wasn't my/our fault":
Nothing shows weakness as a leader more than a lack of accountability. There are indeed times when multiple issues and people contribute to a negative outcome. However, the true leader takes accountability for a problem and conveys a sense of ownership to fix the issue and solve the problem.

Are there any words you would like to add (or subtract) from the list? Comment below.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2E8OnV/:1Oiqi3uOp:c@5HJazh/www.enterpriseefficiency.com/author.asp?section_id=2788&doc_id=259429&cXFm&cid=sem_comm_hrd_su_20130419&cQZm/
Re: Words You Should Not Use As A Top Executive by Lilimax(f): 12:35pm On May 06, 2013
maclatunji: Words to Never Use in the C-Suite

Cost:never use the word "cost."
Any three-letter acronym:
"I think...":
"We can't...":
"No" or "Yes":
"It wasn't my/our fault":
Are there any words you would like to add (or subtract) from the list? Comment below.
I don't agree with the word cost. The word cost is very common in my place of work.
We watch cost while doing our business because we are in business to make profit.
You didn't tell us the three letter word to be avoided cos we have a lot of three letter words that can be used.
However, thanks for sharing smiley.
Re: Words You Should Not Use As A Top Executive by maclatunji: 1:20pm On May 06, 2013
Lilimax:
I don't agree with the word cost. The word cost is very common in my place of work.
We watch cost while doing our business because we are in business to make profit.
You didn't tell us the three letter word to be avoided cos we have a lot of three letter words that can be used.
However, thanks for sharing smiley.

The guy is writing about acronyms when he says 'three letter words'. Don't go saying for example : 'This is the PBP on the MOT project'.

Do you think everybody will know what you mean by 'PBP' or 'MOT'? Besides, several acronyms have many meanings.

As for the word 'cost', the thing about writing articles like this is that you cannot please everybody but we writers try to ensure that our articles are useful to the majority of people who read them.

(1) (Reply)

Ptdf Help Please !!!!!!! / Academic And Non-academic Staff / Uniform Salary...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.