Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,893 members, 7,883,124 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 01:25 AM

Age And Programming - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Age And Programming (1476 Views)

IQ And Programming... Does Having A High IQ Make You A Better Programmer? / I Want To Know Where I Can Learn Software Development And Programming / Ruby Programmers And Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Age And Programming by Tolutheo(m): 7:02pm On May 06, 2013
Does programming has anything to do with age, if yes what age should you start programming?
Re: Age And Programming by WhiZTiM(m): 9:54pm On May 06, 2013
Tolutheo: Does programming has anything to do with age, if yes what age should you start programming?
yes! The age requirement is when you can do simple algebra, recall what you've read or known and can think clearly!!
....Otherwise, there is absolutely NO correlation between programming and age....

And If I am not mistaken, I know a 19yrs old programmer studying a non-computer related course... living and schooling in the Northeastern part of Nigeria... who started fiddling with programming @ age 15...!
Re: Age And Programming by 2sexyus: 8:23pm On May 08, 2013
Age has nothing to do with it. Start now if you must...
Re: Age And Programming by kambo(m): 9:32pm On May 08, 2013
time has somfin 2 do with it. U need 2 put in x amount of time to gain proficiency. Age doesnt change the time cost. (or shdnt).
Re: Age And Programming by Tolutheo(m): 9:36am On May 10, 2013
Guys, what I actually mean is that from history the best programmers started very very early most of them from high school, some from elementary school. Only a few of them started from college. Some examples are listed below:

Bill Gates: Microsoft started at Lake side high school
Bill Joy : Sun computers also started at high school
Mark Zuckerberg: Facebook, started at 13 Paul Newmann his software teacher referred to him as a programming prodigy
Jeff Bezos: Amazon High School
Re: Age And Programming by kambo(m): 9:52pm On May 14, 2013
Ur question is does age affect ur programmg ability? I.e if u strt later u'll b at a disadvantage?
Programmg is learng hw to xpress ur thoughts-in a computer language .. In essence thts it.
Can u b too old to learn how to read/write?
It's harder thn alphabtc writg but thts it.
Gates, was equipped to seize an opportunity b4 him. If he strted 10yrs later, he'd b in too late to seize d os mrkt, but he'd still b as gud a programmr.
Zuckerberg, used his acquired skill, 10+ yrs of prog expertise,
to seize an opprtnity he encountered in his school-a friends graph.
He also had a track record of innovation, smart dorm mates, etc tht made the creation of fb possble. If he strtd 10yrs l8r, he'd hav missed d opportunity cuz he'd be in his 30s.wrkg,married,thnkg of mortgage,etc.. His mind wudve been cluttered with stuff , nd his wrk mates wud b thnkg same too.. But in an atmosphere of inventors and innovators , wthout mundane concerns on their minds , great ideas can b conceived and born. Thts y u see so many I.T strtups grwg frm campus situations.
Also yunger ppl are less negatve-because thyre not "wise" enuff yet to
know an idea is "bad". Older nd wiser folks "know too much" to take "stupid risks"..
How many employees dyu know of,tht want 2 quit their jobs and start a company?
Same examples apply to bill joy,
bezos. But bezos, took a leap,quit his job and hired programmers (he ddnt code amazon up) and slugged it out 4 some years b4 amazon turned a profit.
Infact, these guys are successful 4 their visionary skills , smart team members, and spontaneousness (no time 2 doubt).. Thn 4 their codg prowess.

2 Likes

Re: Age And Programming by bobdobbs: 8:05pm On May 15, 2013
The best programmers did not start at an early age. A good example is Charlie Miller (@0xcharlie on twitter) he was a mathmatician that didnt start coding until he worked at the NSA for 5yrs. He learned how to do it by on the job training and reading books. Now he wins hacking competitions every year. I dont think he started coding until he was 30 or so

If you are dedicated and code as much as possible, and use the right resources to learn you will be a good software dev
Re: Age And Programming by petersmith5544(m): 1:53pm On May 25, 2013
The best programmers did not start at an early age.
Re: Age And Programming by Tolutheo(m): 10:08am On May 27, 2013
Who are the best programmers that did not start at an early age?
petersmith5544: The best programmers did not start at an early age.

(1) (Reply)

Android Creation And Software / Looking For Developers / Is My Udacity Nanodegree Certificate Powerful?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.