Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,749 members, 7,875,868 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 12:04 AM

Confed Cup: Keshi Lines Up Eneramo, Shuns Yobo Again - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Confed Cup: Keshi Lines Up Eneramo, Shuns Yobo Again (515 Views)

Gideon Yobo And Wife Welcome Baby (photos) / Keshi Invites 15 Overseas-based Players, Shuns Mikel(list OF INVITED PLAYERS) / CAF Champions League & Confed. Cup 2011 - News, Fixtures And Results (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Confed Cup: Keshi Lines Up Eneramo, Shuns Yobo Again by oloriooko(m): 9:03am On May 07, 2013
By Olawale Ajimotokan

Micheal Eneramo and Joseph Akpala were Monday touted by Super Eagles coach Sttephen Keshi as likely replacements for the injured striker, Emmanuel Emenike.

Keshi, who was at the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) secretariat Monday for a meeting with the federation president, Aminu Maigari, told reporters that there was no way he would consider recalling out of favour captain, Josesph Yobo for the team.

The Eagles are billed to open a training camp in Germany on May 16 with 30 players, in readiness for a busy schedule in May/ June, that will see Nigeria travel to the US, Kenya, Namibia and Brazil.

Keshi reasoned that there was no ground to reinstate Yobo, as he has already submitted his provisional list for the Confederations Cup to FIFA.

He said the final list would still have to be trimmed to 23.

Keshi and Yobo fell out after the captain openly criticised the coach for excluding him from the squad that played Kenya in Calabar on March 23.

Eneramo and Akpala actively featured for the national team under the watch of Shaibu Amodu during the run in to South Africa 2012 but were left out when the team went to the World Cup.

The physically imposing Eneramo played 15 times for the Eagles, while Akpala scored the only goal when Nigeria beat France 1-0 in St Etienne on June 2, 2009.

They were placed on notice after Victor Anichebe of Everton snubbed the team.

Keshi said Anichebe had made himself unavailable in the past by not showing interest through third parties.

The Everton striker in a recent interview, said he opted fro club ahead of country because no one from the Nigerian federation considered it necessary to inquire about his fitness in the past after he copped an injury on national duty away to Madagascar.

But Keshi, who described Emenike's latest injury relapse as a big blow, insisted that he tried to bring Anichebe along, but the player seemed not be interested.

“When I was appointed, I tried to talk to Anichebe through Yobo, Yakubu Aiyegbeni and Dickson Etuhu, but he refused talking to me most of the time. He has made it clear that he does not have any interest to play for Nigeria now. I don’t have his number as I have it I would have spoken to him to know if he could have a change of heart,” he added.

source: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/confed-cup-keshi-lines-up-eneramo-shuns-yobo-again/146962/

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Moves Three Steps up in FIFA ranking / Benfica1- Chelsea 2 / UCL VS EL Is It A Mystery Or A Coincidence???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.