Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,634 members, 7,901,952 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 06:11 PM

Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa (9053 Views)

Tony Blair At The Nigerian Governor's Forum In Abuja - Photos / Ghana’s President Hurls Insults At Obasanjo At African Forum In London-bloomberg / VP Osinbajo Leads Nigerian Delegation To World Economic Forum In South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by tpia5: 12:21pm On May 13, 2013
Does nigeria ever surprise?
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by BankuTilapia: 12:24pm On May 13, 2013
gbokukueba: This is for all of you that objects these entertainers being on the Nigerian delegation. For the record i am not a pro GEJ but i think the idea is noble. If you go round African countries today as i have been to quite a few you will be shocked and amazed at the popularity of PSquare and Aki/Pawpaw. Today in Africa we export more of entertainment than oil (just top of my head, no proof to back up). On a visit to kenya 2 years ago from the airport the moment i spoke they knew am Nigerian and they started speaking pidgin to me which they picked up from movies and music. I see a Nigeria Entertainment industry contributing massively to the wealth of Nigeria just like Hollywood is doing in America but first we must pass the 2015(dooms day predicted by CIA).

Peace out!
Rampant stupidityyyyyy from u, stick to da point of discussion. It's a complete joke dat diz entertainers were der. Waste of money n u here ranting about how u went to Kenya and blah blah blah
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by slimchimex(m): 12:26pm On May 13, 2013
cool pix...love naija
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by nairalad: 12:28pm On May 13, 2013
Is it World Ecomonic Forum or World Celebrities Forum?
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by tpia5: 12:28pm On May 13, 2013
Who was in charge of picking the delegates for this so-called summit?

That person needs to be queried for mocking nigeria on the international scene yet again.

And if they are going to ridicule nigerians in this manner, why did they not add denrele and karen igho to the delegation?
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by EagleNest(m): 12:52pm On May 13, 2013
GEJ et'al are never serious! Musicians and actors as part of the contingent to World Economic Forum...to do what?
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by ideylaff: 1:06pm On May 13, 2013
tpia@:

That person needs to be queried for mocking nigeria on the international scene yet again.

And if they are going to ridicule nigerians in this manner, why did they not add denrele and karen igho to the delegation?

LOL.... a go die could make the list as well.

Its all a joke..... mehn... see the peeps running the country who call themselves Technocrats/learned people....

I dont have anything against Celebrities/entertainers.. but if it were a culture and tourism trip i'd be cool with it...

But 2 an economic forum.as members of the official presidential delegation.. dats a big joke
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by dramendra: 1:22pm On May 13, 2013
how did P-square and Aki add to the economy? if they were there to anchor the event better, but as delegates hell no...
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by livethinme: 1:26pm On May 13, 2013
tpia@:

Sadly as you can see, there are people here who support the sending of celebs to economic forums -_-
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by malc619(m): 2:33pm On May 13, 2013
Mr. President and Madam Ngozi are duller than I imagined!!

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by tpia5: 3:03pm On May 13, 2013
muktarl: Psquare were actually in the presidential team of the federal government. This guys are making Nigeria proud. Unarguably the best out of Africa. I love them.

good for you undecided

now, can you qualify their credentials, did they major in economics/govt/admin/something while in college, have they had political experience which will help them understand what they're supposed to be discussing at the summit, etc etc.

or was the summit about entertainment?
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by tpia5: 3:09pm On May 13, 2013
gbokukueba: This is for all of you that objects these entertainers being on the Nigerian delegation. For the record i am not a pro GEJ but i think the idea is noble. If you go round African countries today as i have been to quite a few you will be shocked and amazed at the popularity of PSquare and Aki/Pawpaw. Today in Africa we export more of entertainment than oil (just top of my head, no proof to back up). On a visit to kenya 2 years ago from the airport the moment i spoke they knew am Nigerian and they started speaking pidgin to me which they picked up from movies and music. I see a Nigeria Entertainment industry contributing massively to the wealth of Nigeria just like Hollywood is doing in America but first we must pass the 2015(dooms day predicted by CIA).

Peace out!

2015 is indeed the year.

una go brush teeth very well.
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by tpia5: 3:11pm On May 13, 2013
livethinme:

Nigeria is really lost isnt it

that's a foregone conclusion.
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by osifred(m): 3:46pm On May 13, 2013
This government is indeed a joke.

How can you send people who are not employing labour (am sure the total no. of people p square n aki directly employ is not more than 50) to a world economic submit.

I have nothing personal with the celebrities but with the ......government
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by AHA1(m): 4:08pm On May 13, 2013
PAW PAW DON TURN TO CONGO PEOPLE.
THAT WAS HOW MICHAEL JACKSON STARTED.
BLEACHING IS NOT GOOD,OR DOES HE HAVE VITILIGO ?
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by tpia5: 4:11pm On May 13, 2013
osifred: This government is indeed a joke.

How can you send people who are not employing labour (am sure the total no. of people p square n aki directly employ is not more than 50) to a world economic submit.

they're employing labour na, the wardrobe attendants, photographers, makeups, arranger of photo op on private jet and living room, are all labour.

and as someone pointed out, nollywood [or entertainment/whatever], surpasses crude oil when it comes to bringing in income for nigeria.

besides, they are known in kenya and other parts of africa and people in those places can speak pidgin thanks to them.
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by livethinme: 4:47pm On May 13, 2013
tpia@:

they're employing labour na, the wardrobe attendants, photographers, makeups, arranger of photo op on private jet and living room, are all labour.

and as someone pointed out, nollywood [or entertainment/whatever], surpasses crude oil when it comes to bringing in income for nigeria.

besides, they are known in kenya and other parts of africa and people in those places can speak pidgin thanks to them.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by JimmyBoy1: 5:34pm On May 13, 2013
wetin P Square and pawpaw got do for WEF
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by Rossikk(m): 5:40pm On May 13, 2013
livethinme:

right, the US -the world's strongest economy, should copy from Nigeria on economic matters.

If you think that including musicians in economic delegations to economic forums is a good thing, then well Nigeria is really lost isnt it

Get rid of that mentality. Everyone can learn from everyone. Nigeria is well within the remit of dynamism required of an emerging nation, by being pro-active, adaptive, and creative in the eliciting of international attention as a growing economic, cultural and entertainment hub and destination on the African continent. Investors take all sorts of elements into consideration when deciding which nations to invest in, and as an emerging country, you go in with your best shot. The US does not NEED to do all this, as they're not in the position of an emerging nation seeking an expanded field of investment partners. Then again, the Americans may just see what Nigeria did that and think - especially if they have a pro-active Secretary of State - ''why not go with Kelly Rowland to the next G8 summit as a voice of the younger generation?''
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by Rossikk(m): 5:43pm On May 13, 2013
tpia@:

The delegates from Nigeria would have included for the most part, economists, diplomats and the like, you do realise that don't you?
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by tpia5: 5:50pm On May 13, 2013
^i dont deal with "would"

i'm only interested in "what"

if you can handle the "what" as in what were entertainers doing at a so-called world economic summit in an official capacity as representatives of our great country nigeria, then we can have a discussion on that.

if, however, you prefer doing "would", then perhaps you can hold forth on would it not be expedient for our other dear entertainers such as sina peters, denrele, karen igho, mercy aigbe, nadia buari, jackie appiah, and the whole crew to also represent nigeria there.
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by livethinme: 6:13pm On May 13, 2013
Rossikk:

Get rid of that mentality. Everyone can learn from everyone. Nigeria is well within the remit of dynamism required of an emerging nation, by being pro-active, adaptive, and creative in the eliciting of international attention as a growing economic, cultural and entertainment hub and destination on the African continent. Investors take all sorts of elements into consideration when deciding which nations to invest in, and as an emerging country, you go in with your best shot. The US does not NEED to do all this, as they're not in the position of an emerging nation seeking an expanded field of investment partners. Then again, the Americans may just see what Nigeria did that and think - especially if they have a pro-active Secretary of State - ''why not go with Kelly Rowland to the next G8 summit as a voice of the younger generation?''

Everyone can learn from anyone. But when its about a government funded delegation to an global economic forum, I would expect the government to send people who are well knowledgeable in the area. Professors, economists, business leaders etc..not musicians.

The Kelly Rowland thing is also stupid. How is Kelly Rowland qualified to be a voice for the younger generation?

you are trying to justify mediocrity just like many Nigerians justify many mediocre things the government does.
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by tpia5: 6:31pm On May 13, 2013
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by naUgotire: 6:38pm On May 13, 2013
livethinme:

USA exports more entertainment than Nigeria. Should Brad Pitt and Lil' Wayne be on economic delegations in the future?

Before you begin ask this your yeye questions, make I tell you that artists, musicians included, dey carry body follow US and western world heads of government on business trips. So naija no go be the first. Musicians too have money to invest and some of the foreign business people being courted fit get interest in music industry for naija. Who else go be the best spokes person for the sector if not the artist?
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by tpia5: 6:47pm On May 13, 2013
ok, there's still room for our other beloved artists, the next world economic forum is scheduled to be hosted in nigeria [if its still a country by then], so we can expect to see all our celebrities there, including the ones from other nationalities.

all should represent our darling country nigeria.

wardrobe, makeup, shoes, camera, lights, action, please get ready.

those who want to see butt and bum, singlet, tattoo, 6 pack, crotch grabbing area, make sure your computers are in tip top shape and dont let nepa interrupt your enjoyment during that time.

One high point of the recent meeting of the World Economic Forum (WEF) in South Africa was the choice of Nigeria to host the 24th edition of the WEF on Africa

http://allafrica.com/stories/201305131047.html
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by Rossikk(m): 6:48pm On May 13, 2013
livethinme:

Everyone can learn from anyone. But when its about a government funded delegation to an global economic forum, I would expect the government to send people who are well knowledgeable in the area. Professors, economists, business leaders etc..not musicians.

There was no shortage of such personnel in the Nigerian delegation. It's not as if they had to remove a prof or economist in order to let Peter Okoye in! You do not know the exact role played by PSquare, or the thinking behind their invitation. And have made no inquiry. All you've seen is a picture, and seen their faces at the summit and thought, ''they shouldn't be there, they're musicians''. Stop thinking like a programmed ROBOT.

The Kelly Rowland thing is also stupid. How is Kelly Rowland qualified to be a voice for the younger generation?

How isn't she? What ''qualifications'' are required?

you are trying to justify mediocrity just like many Nigerians justify many mediocre things the government does.

You only see ''mediocrity'' in it because you see the name Nigeria attached to it. If the Americans had done the same thing and won global plaudits for their 'inclusiveness' etc, you would be here drooling over them. It's Nigeria so you think you can talk down at us. Aren't you smarter and wiser than the rest of us combined including our 'clueless govt'?

Is the UN also ''clueless and medicocre'' in appointing actress Angelina Jolie as its goodwill ambassador? She even attends G8 summits and pallies with world leaders:

http://news.sky.com/story/1076845/angelina-jolie-joins-hague-at-g8-in-london

If she can do stuff like this (ie extend US cultural hegemony), why can't P Square do the same on behalf of Nigeria?
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by tpia5: 7:01pm On May 13, 2013
na U go tire:

Before you begin ask this your yeye questions, make I tell you that artists, musicians included, dey carry body follow US and western world heads of government on business trips. So naija no go be the first. Musicians too have money to invest and some of the foreign business people being courted fit get interest in music industry for naija. Who else go be the best spokes person for the sector if not the artist?

for your mind, you don talk something?
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by tpia5: 7:04pm On May 13, 2013
Rossikk:

There was no shortage of such personnel in the Nigerian delegation. It's not as if they had to remove a prof or economist in order to let Peter Okoye in! You do not know the exact role played by PSquare, or the thinking behind their invitation. And have made no inquiry. All you've seen is a picture, and seen their faces at the summit and thought, ''they shouldn't be there, they're musicians''. Stop thinking like a programmed ROBOT.

How isn't she? What ''qualifications'' are required?

You only see ''mediocrity'' in it because you see the name Nigeria attached to it. If the Americans had done the same thing and won global plaudits for their 'inclusiveness' etc, you would be here drooling over them. It's Nigeria so you think you can talk down at us. Aren't you smarter and wiser than the rest of us combined including our 'clueless govt'?

Is the UN also ''clueless and medicocre'' in appointing actress Angelina Jolie as its goodwill ambassador? She even attends G8 summits.

http://news.sky.com/story/1076845/angelina-jolie-joins-hague-at-g8-in-london

all this unnecessary typing you're doing, is simply to justify the fact that the nigerian government does not consider itself accountable to the nigerian people.

that's all.

neither does the nigerian media, but that's a long moot point.
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by Rossikk(m): 7:11pm On May 13, 2013
tpia@:

all this unnecessary typing you're doing, is simply to justify the fact that the nigerian government does not consider itself accountable to the nigerian people.

that's all.

neither does the nigerian media, but that's a long moot point.

If the govt does not consider itself accountable to the people, why is it remodelling 15 airports? Why is it fixing thousands of miles of federal roads? Why is it resuscitating the railways? Why is it reforming the power sector? Why don't they just sit in Abuja, do NOTHING AT ALL and just chop all the money

That is what unaccountable govts do.

I think the govt DOES consider itself accountable. We are in a democracy and they stand the risk of being voted out of power if they do nothing, so they are accountable. Military rule ended 13 years ago,
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by ideylaff: 8:58pm On May 13, 2013
A-HA:
PAW PAW DON TURN TO CONGO PEOPLE.
THAT WAS HOW MICHAEL JACKSON STARTED.
BLEACHING IS NOT GOOD,OR DOES HE HAVE VITILIGO ?

ROFL LOL LOL LOL
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by NovusHomo(m): 9:52pm On May 13, 2013
"World Economic Summit" and what face does Nigeria present? A plane-load of clowns. Man, o serious o!
Re: Pictures From World Economic Forum In South-Africa by gbokukueba(m): 10:27pm On May 13, 2013
livethinme:

USA exports more entertainment than Nigeria. Should Brad Pitt and Lil' Wayne be on economic delegations in the future?

I will answer your question like this... i am sure you are aware that Nigeria has a terrible reputation worldwide and entertainment has replaced football which made Nigeria a darling of many nations.

Banku&Tilapia:

Rampant stupidityyyyyy from u, stick to da point of discussion. It's a complete joke dat diz entertainers were der. Waste of money n u here ranting about how u went to Kenya and blah blah blah

You are the stupid one one bro... please dont hate everything na turn by turn. Abeg no commit sucide at this rate you are ranting that will not even change anything...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ademola Nurudeen Adeleke For Senatorial Bye Election In Osun West (Photos) / Opinion; 6 Years Single Term For Elective Political Offices In Nigeria. / Exposed: See The Dss Operative Who Tried To Kill Sowore In The Court Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.