Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,405 members, 7,881,478 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:49 PM

Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur (28629 Views)

Deadly Bombings Reported In Nigerian City Where Boko Haram Was Founded- NY Times / Buhari And Osinbajo Declare Their Assets / I Knew Babangida Was Planning To Overthrow Me - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by truly: 8:04pm On May 16, 2013
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

BAKASSI SINCE CAMEROON ADMINISTRATION

How interesting. Maybe you should come and run Nigeria and bring all these developments to us
You are still an appendage of your colonial master

Police states rely on propaganda
I can show you materials from China and North Korea
Give me freedom to think and talk
Hold onto your material development bribe
Biya is a human being. let me too aspire in my lifetime
One leader in 30 years. no man in infallible
Biya needs to hear engaged tone on the phone for a change
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by Nobody: 8:06pm On May 16, 2013
dbride:
What do you really have against Ibos? You bring them into every comment of yours even when it is not called for? Your comments are boring and unserious. Go clean up and start on a new page or we might just conclude that you are acting out your name.

The truth has no enemy, so dont see me as your enemy homie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvEQh0Tf3mI
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by olempe(m): 8:08pm On May 16, 2013
ArQueBusieR: In their wildest dreams.
Na so o...
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by bootlegaz: 8:09pm On May 16, 2013
dbride:

What do you really have against Ibos? You bring them into every comment of yours even when it is not called for? Your comments are boring and unserious. Go clean up and start on a new page or we might just conclude that you are acting out your name.
An igbo boy bursted her nuts and left a Trojan condom in it. Ignore her, she got mad cow disease.

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by Nobody: 8:18pm On May 16, 2013
lorretta u: And how hdid he get this info.do they tell him their plans before they embark on it?
I wonder my sister
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 8:21pm On May 16, 2013
truly:

You will be reminded of this sometime in the future
Sadam, Mubarak, Caucescu used to blow heads
Standard in repressive police states
They all collapse
You can murder Cameroonians for the sake of Biya republic
But Nigerians? You will regret it
Said it all along, your territory is an enemy state
They till 14th August, you can take them back, we actually don't need traitors or people who won't b loyal or won't bend in front of the rules.

See how Nigeria with all her democrats is collapsing
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 8:30pm On May 16, 2013
truly:
How interesting. Maybe you should come and run Nigeria and bring all these developments to us
You are still an appendage of your colonial master

Police states rely on propaganda
I can show you materials from China and North Korea
Give me freedom to think and talk
Hold onto your material development bribe
Biya is a human being. let me too aspire in my lifetime
One leader in 30 years. no man in infallible
Biya needs to hear engaged tone on the phone for a change

Blah blah prior to Cameroon rule(5years now) the people in Bakassi didn't know what is electricity/power, what is a house , what is a medical center or running water, they lived in abject poverty for 50years ..Cameroonian is helping them, Cameroon is giving a sense to their existence/live ....

Lol @ Cameroon is a police state, seems like you just learned the word and feel like throwing it anyhow.

Btw enemy ? Last time I checked Cameroon and Nigeria were fighting Mend and boko side by side, 20% of our trades are done with Nigeria.etc so wake up Bruce we ain't enemy.

Your problem is we don't bend in front of you and don't fear you in fact we have been teaching you a lesson since the creation of those entities.
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by Dewze(m): 8:39pm On May 16, 2013
@truly. It is obvious u are quite ignorant of the bakassi situation, how it all started and how it led to what it is now. I dont know how old u r and so i wld nt assume tht u were nt born by the time of the civil war. Even so u shld go and read more abt the situation and then come back with better arguments. It ll not be reasonable to think tht Cameroon ( a small nation compared to Nigeria) ll just wake up one morning and say ' hey, we like tht land and so we are going to take it'. Tht wld be impossible. Read the facts tht led to the judgement and then come back with points based on facts. That is the point I'm trying to make here.
Judging by all ur arguments so far it is like these nationalists hve more information abt ur country than u that is trying to defend it. Not a fair fight bro (information is power).
Drop the argument bro. It is the wise choice for u as 4 now.
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 8:48pm On May 16, 2013
[size=48pt]AS DAVID-CAMEROON CONTINUES HIS DOMINATION OF GOLIATH-NIGERIA[/size]

o you still remember the name of the national football team of The Republic of Cameroon especially after their disastrous outing at the Korea-Japan World Cup? As a Nigerian you cannot easily forget the Indomitable Lions, the perennial nemesis of the Nigerian Super Eagles! Ever thought of the real implications of Team Cameroon's name? Can you guess the country that has always fallen prey to the ever-ravenous lions of Cameroon? Of course, Cameroon has always considered Nigeria as fodder and prey in football competitions at least. But you might be surprised to learn that even in politics Nigeria has not fared any better against Cameroon. Cameroon is one country that seems to have figured out Nigeria's numbers in nearly everything. So in every competition, be it in politics or in sports, they seem to have both the trick and the ace to beat us. Cameroon named her football team The Indomitable Lions probably because she wanted the world to know that the self-described giant by her west side was nothing other than a conquered and devoured lamb. And this was not an empty boast. Cameroon had a lot of accomplishments against Nigeria to back up her boast. Nigeria and Cameroon have been playing the game of who-is-the-greater-of-the-two since time immemorial. And in the aggregate of victories Cameroon clearly has the upper hand. She seems always to be able to manufacture the way to have the last laugh over Nigeria. In nearly all their encounters Cameroon has always found the way to top Nigeria. Before there would be her unsurpassable victory in The Hague, Cameroon had recorded a landmark victory in 1961 when she capitalized on the UN-organized plebiscite to manipulate the citizens of the so-called Southern Cameroon to vote in favor of joining her in the Republic of Cameroon notwithstanding the fact that they would become in an instant the super-minority of English speakers in a nation of French-speaking hawks. Cameroon would repeat the same feat against Nigeria in the early 70's shortly after the civil war.

The great Ahmadou Ahidjo, the first president of Cameroon, saw firsthand the weaknesses in Nigerian leadership under the poorly equipped Yakubu Gowon and decided to capitalize to appropriate as much of Nigeria's territory as he could. Ahidjo manipulated the so-called Nigerian General and got him to sign away to his country a large chunk of Nigeria's territory in the now infamous Maroua Declaration of June 1st 1975. When the wiser Murtala Muhammed booted the inept Gowon out of office, there was a move to return to status quo ante. But Ahidjo and his Cameroonian political chase-masters were not the ones to be thus fooled. They stuck to their guns claiming, "What has been written has been written!" And that began the seesaw agitation that metamorphosed into the Bakassi crisis of today.

But Cameroon had not finished with Nigeria yet. The Cameroonians kept pressing to consummatewhat they had gotten free of charge from the shallow regime of Yakubu Gowon. But they were having a terrible time because Nigerian military leaders were coming from the no-nonsense pedigree of Murtala Muhammed rather than from the lackadaisical and unthinking clan of Yakubu Gowon. Having been frustrated for quite a long time by the hawkish Buhari, Babangida and Abacha; all of whom came from the school of Murtala Mohammed, Cameroon reclined back to her lab of diplomatic creativity. And when she emerged from there she took her case to the World Court in 1994 betting on her political and diplomatic wizardry to outsmart Nigeria. And that is what she has just done. Today Cameroon has embarked on a victory lap after a long fight that cost more in brains and strategy than bravado while Nigeria is confined to toeing the line of least resistance. Nigerians are today reacting in amazement and wonder simply because they have not been attentive enough to the all-round ingenuity and creativity of the Cameroonians in their relationship with Nigeria.

Believe it or not, Cameroon's victory in The Hague came as a result of her ingenious diplomaticinitiatives that included issues as mundane as her football team the Indomitable Lions. Have you been able to notice how she has been effectively employing her intimidating football team to mount a propaganda war against the self-portraying giant of Africa? Can you believe that the tiny country of Cameroon that is not worth more than two or three states in our nation has always beaten Nigeria in the game of international politics whose principal diplomat is her football team the Indomitable Lions? Did you notice that the American tennis superstar, the current world number one player, Serena Williams, proudly displayed the Cameroonian national colors during her magical run at the 2002 French Open? That was a major diplomatic coup by the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon with the help of their clothing company Puma against every other African nation at the World Cup. But it did not take a rocket scientist to discern that the ultimate object and victim of that diplomatic coup had been Nigeria. The Cameroonians in fact succeeded in letting it be taken for granted by the entire world that Cameroon is Africa's best, perhaps in everything. Do you notice how far Cameroon has succeeded in invading the present-day Nigeria with her flamboyant football antics? For the average Nigerians today the Indomitable Lions are like a bunch of out-of-space football wizards that have mastered the art of routinely humiliating our feckless football team that prides itself with an oversize misnomer, Super Eagles.

Did you know that it was the string of defeatsthe Indomitable Lions had inflicted on the Green Eagle that forced the hands of the National Football Association to decree the change of our national team's name from the soft-landing Green Eagles to the present tough-sounding Super Eagles? The NFA thought that Nigeria could use the magic of an awe-instilling name to turn around her fortunes against the "unconquerable" Cameroonians. They insisted on matching the horror-stirring Indomitable Lions with our own awe-inspiring Super Eagles. Hence our fragile Green Eagleswere accorded a super-name, the Super Eagles. And since then every national team in Nigeria has been given the lift of a super-title. You have today the Super Falcons and all what not. The Nigerian football officials obviously believed that Shakespeare could never have been serious when he said that there was nothing in a name!

But unfortunately for us, even after this transformation the Indomitable Lions have not ceased in finding their way to clip the wings of our nominally energized eagles. Many a time they behave as if they are taunting us saying, "give whatever scary name you may wish for your eagles, our 'unconquerable' lions must always have them for dinner." Isn't this frustrating? It is unfortunately the reality of the present-day Nigeria. I know that the Nigerian football officials must be grinding their brains about what else to add to the name of the Super Eagles to make them soar above the "unconquerable lions of Cameroon." I do not envy their position. I believe that Cameroon has shot far ahead in the mastery of the ways to beat Nigeria in all competitions, sports or politics.

Did you ever notice the propaganda of Cameroon at the last World Cup in Korea-Japan? The Indomitable Lions had gone to Korea-Japan toasting themselves as the best in Africa. And they deserved their boast. Having won in quick successions the two previous African Nations' Cup in Accra-Lagos and Mali, having taken African Nations' Cup in Nigeria for keeps, the Indomitable Lions had acquired a resounding bragging right in African football. But they would not be satisfied with just toasting themselves as Africa's best. They decided to carry it a little too far that it almost became a taunt and a put-down of the other African countries especially their neighbors, the Super Eagles, who had become their counterparts in the world tournament.

And together with his French masters and the collusion of Kofi Annan, the Secretary General of the UN, Biya took Obasanjo to the city of light Paris, fed him with milk.... That was exactly the pattern and the same type of trap Gowon seems to have fallen into in the early 70's. In 1971 and 1972, Ahidjo had taken Gowon to his mother's village of Garoua and bamboozled him to promise signing away Nigerian territories around Bakassi.

Their German coach even went as far as boasting to their one-party parliament and their president-for-life, Mr. Paul Biya that his lion-hearted team was the only credible representative of the African continent in the competition. He stopped short of saying that Nigeria alongside the three other African representatives was a mere pretender-representative of the African continent. But perceptive Nigerians understood his coded insult nonetheless. They knew that the Cameroonian coach had unleashed a salvo of insulting propaganda aimed at the heart of the football-crazy Nigerians. And it did hurt! But insult and pride were not the real goal of the coach's boast. The Indomitable Lions, through their foreign coach, were talking directly both to Nigerians and the entire world about the superiority of the nation of Cameroon over Nigeria.

At the end of the day, it was clear that the little nation of Cameroon had succeeded in delivering a coded message to the entire world telling them to forget size and noises obviously from their neighbors in Nigeria and focus on skill and quality and they would realize that Cameroon and not Nigeria was the true giant of the African continent. Fortunately for Nigeria and unfortunately for Cameroon fate pulled a fast one on the unconquerable lions of Cameroon at the world cup. Like their disparaged counterparts from Nigeria, the Super Eagles, the Indomitable Lions became among the most dominated teams of the competition. Could you imagine the relief felt by most Nigerians on seeing the boastful Cameroon crash out of the competition alongside our own humble team that had not been expected to go anywhere in the tournament? It was not loathsome for many Nigerians to see the star of the Indomitable Lions dim at the world cup. In fact they were happy to see the African football backwaters Senegal steal the thunder from the prideful Indomitable Lions.

However, notwithstanding the consolation of a mutual defeat at the world cup, Nigeria's fortune over time has remained dim against the Cameroonians. Cameroon has not only outclassed Nigeria in the field of football play she has consistently outwitted and out-maneuvered her in politics and diplomacy of every competition. The long-reigning Issa Hayatou of Confederation of African Football is a clear testimony that the nation of Nigeria is secondary to Cameroon in matters of skill and politics in sports. And that should give you a little information about the history of our woes with the nation of Cameroon. In nearly every competition they have found a way to dominate us despite their paltry population, which is roughly the size of the state of Lagos, documented and undocumented residents counted.

Am I the only one discerning some kind of symmetry in the way Cameroon gets the better part of Nigeria in nearly everything? Think about it, among the factors that emboldened Cameroon to seek redress in The Hague was the successful manipulation of the Nigerian Yakubu Gowon by her legendary leader Ahmadou Ahidjo. President Ahidjo had seen Gowon as somebody he could make mince meat of any day. And that was exactly what he had done. President Ahidjo kind of invented the Cameroonian recipe for tackling what Cameroon often considers as the Nigerian nuisance.

The same pattern seems to have repeated itself in the year of our Lord 2002. I have the hunch that Paul Biya had considered President Obasanjo as somebody he could just dribble around and goad into a trap. Remember, President Biya was Ahidjo's deputy. He might have learned a lot of tricks from the Cameroonian political sage. Paul Biya, in his political and diplomatic wizardry, seems to have known well ahead of time how the ICJ justices were going to rule. Somebody in or closer to the court might have tipped him off long before the majority would finishwriting their verdict. I would be surprised if he was not intimated well ahead of time on the ultimate outcome of the case he had taken to the world court. So in order to place himself in a vintage corner in which he would be able to enlist popular support to put enormous pressure on Obasanjo after the ruling, President Biya seems to have conspired with his colonial masters to robe Obasanjo into agreeing before hand that he would abide by the ICJ ruling no matter how the chips fell.

And together with his French masters and the collusion of Kofi Annan, the Secretary General of the UN, Biya took Obasanjo to the city of light Paris, fed him with milk, chocolate and some liquor to tingle his head. According to their version of events, Obasanjo thereafter signed on to their ploy to excise some parts of Nigeria alongside some Nigerian citizens and cede them to the government of Cameroon. As reports from the French and British angles have indicated, Obasanjo did promise that he would obey to the letter the International Court ruling no matter how it ultimately went.

That seems eerily familiar, isn't it? That was exactly the pattern and the same type of trap Gowon seems to have fallen into in the early 70's. In 1971 and 1972, Ahidjo had taken Gowon to his mother's villageof Garoua and bamboozled him to promise signing away Nigerian territories around Bakassi. In April of 1975, Gowon kept the faith with the promise he had made to Ahidjo. That was what got us to where we are today. I bet you, President Paul Biya was reading from the Ahmadou Ahidjo playbook when he took Obasanjo to Paris on September 5, this year. He succeeded somehow in boxing Obasanjo to a corner. In my view this proves only one thing. By tradition Cameroonian leaders are both politically and diplomatically smarter than their Nigerian counterparts.

How prophetic had the Cameroonians been with the propaganda they took to the last world cup! They have consistently bested Nigeria in these kinds of competitions. Following the World Court judgment against Nigeria these last couple of weeks, we may have to begin to tell ourselves the home truth that Cameroon may in fact be better than Nigeria in many ways. For a country of roughly 15 million people to have pulled off such an upset against a nation of nearly 120 million citizens required the type of diplomatic dexterity far superior to what is usually seen among the Third Word countries.

To say that Cameroon achieved a monumental victory at the expense of Nigeria is to greatly understate the whole thing. They had a David's kind of victory against a Goliath that is Nigeria. But the Cameroonian feat at the World Court says quite a lot about the political and diplomatic competence of the Nigerian political class. Our leaders indeed have a very long way to go in order to be able to match the skills of their counterparts in Africa and the world. The little nation of Cameroon has succeeded in telling Nigeria to stop fooling herself around comparing herself with the other great countries of the other continents. For Cameroon and perhaps for the Europeans that supported them at the ICJ Nigeria may be a big-for-nothing country!

The fact is a super-sized nation has some privileges over some of its smaller neighbors. But Nigeria no longer enjoys such privilege in the international arena for reasons bordering on her self-infliction of debilitating injuries during the military era and the diplomatic dexterity of her neighbors especially Cameroon. While Nigeria had dozed off on the laps of military dictatorship, Cameroon like Ghana and Ivory Coast before the recent upheaval quietly sold herself to the world as a more mature and organized African nation.

There is no doubt that if there was anything the world court judgment against Nigeria had proved beyond any shred of doubt it was that Nigeria no longer enjoyed the respect of the world. The ICJ verdict had provided one indisputable proof to the level Nigeria had sunk in international respectability. It proved that Nigeria, which has barely and in fact only symbolicallyemerged from her pariah status during the military era still has a long way to go in winning back her lost privileges and respect from the world. The world is yet to begin taking the democratic Nigeria seriously. That was the coded message the ICJ justices had delivered to Nigerians in their very suspicious verdict on the Bakassi peninsula.

http://nigeriaworld.com/columnist/ihenacho/102802.html
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by cumpaddre(m): 8:56pm On May 16, 2013
Buhari wants to be called President again by all means, even if it means being d president of a non-productive country, he doesn't give a bleep!
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by Nogen: 9:01pm On May 16, 2013
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

Blah blah prior to Cameroon rule(5years now) the people in Bakassi didn't know what is electricity/power, what is a house , what is a medical center or running water, they lived in abject poverty for 50years ..Cameroonian is helping them, Cameroon is giving a sense to their existence/live ....

Lol @ Cameroon is a police state, seems like you just learned the word and feel like throwing it anyhow.

Btw enemy ? Last time I checked Cameroon and Nigeria were fighting Mend and boko side by side, 20% of our trades are done with Nigeria.etc so wake up Bruce we ain't enemy.

Your problem is we don't bend in front of you and don't fear you in fact we have been teaching you a lesson since the creation of those entities.

Do not derail this thread please. This forum isn't about Cameroon, pls bug off and maybe you can start a Cameroonland internet forum in your so precious country so your likes can contribute to your sermons. For now, LEAVE NIGERIA AND NIGERIANS ALONE!!!!!!
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by PedroAmada(m): 9:27pm On May 16, 2013
I hope the military will discharge the islamist terrorists
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by yeboyes: 9:40pm On May 16, 2013
[size=15pt][b]@CAMNEWTON4PRES:

It is sad that you came into this thread and try to swing your dxck in our faces.I do not like to get into this country vs country argument but you asked for it.

First off there is nothing special about cameroon. When the name Cameroon is mentioned ,i just go blank as nothing comes to mind.That is how irrelevant your country is to most people on GOD's green earth. If your country was so good how come your athletes ran away from their camps during the Olympics and tried to stay in the Uk illegally.Dude don't throw stones in a glass house.You need to travel and and stop thinking your village country is heaven.

What is Cameroon known for beyond soccer? Have you produced any Nobel Laureates? Have you produced any notable inventors? Which wars have you been involved in that you actively won? Do you have any indigenous and unique industries? Do you have a globally recognized indigenous cuisine? Do you have a rich and diverse political history? Are you are a power player in Africa? Do your leaders have any clout in the international stage? What has any of your citizens ever done to contribute to the advancement of mankind? What is the highest award any of your citizens have ever received? Who knows you ? How have you impact Africa?

Dude your population is equal to that of Lagos state only and your GDP is $25billion so how are you a giant of any sort? When the name Cameroon is mentioned,nothing come to mind.You are not relevant.The only country in west Africa that can breathe near Nigeria is Ghana so wait in line.

If you want to give constructive criticism to Nigerians do so but if you want to brag to us that Cameroon is this or that,you will be verbally cut down. With all the history you have written about how "dominant" your leaders are how come your country is not an Utopia.How come your brothers are still lining up in their thousand at embassies trying to get the hell out of your wonderful Cameroon.How come your sportsmen don't want to go back home? How come i still see 100s of your brothers being arrested in my country of residence for wash wash and other crimes.

You are talking about what you have done in Bakassi,please show us the roads ,schools ,hospitals ,train tracks,Airports and refineries you have built in Bakassi![/b][/size]

2 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by dokunbam(m): 9:48pm On May 16, 2013
they are crazy

sons of b!ches
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by Dewze(m): 10:08pm On May 16, 2013
@yeboyes. Though i don't support these arguments but i think u ve got better poins than evry other so far.
On point.wink
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by Bestlyf: 10:11pm On May 16, 2013
lorretta u: And how hdid he get this info.do they tell him their plans before they embark on it?
This did not come to me as a surprise. I have always believed that Tukur is BH spokesman from the day he asserted that BH was created as a resullt of hunger.
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by cowtail: 10:16pm On May 16, 2013
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

[size=48pt]AS DAVID-CAMEROON CONTINUES HIS DOMINATION OF GOLIATH-NIGERIA[/size]

o you still remember the name of the national football team of The Republic of Cameroon especially after their disastrous outing at the Korea-Japan World Cup? As a Nigerian you cannot easily forget the Indomitable Lions, the perennial nemesis of the Nigerian Super Eagles! Ever thought of the real implications of Team Cameroon's name? Can you guess the country that has always fallen prey to the ever-ravenous lions of Cameroon? Of course, Cameroon has always considered Nigeria as fodder and prey in football competitions at least. But you might be surprised to learn that even in politics Nigeria has not fared any better against Cameroon. Cameroon is one country that seems to have figured out Nigeria's numbers in nearly everything. So in every competition, be it in politics or in sports, they seem to have both the trick and the ace to beat us. Cameroon named her football team The Indomitable Lions probably because she wanted the world to know that the self-described giant by her west side was nothing other than a conquered and devoured lamb. And this was not an empty boast. Cameroon had a lot of accomplishments against Nigeria to back up her boast. Nigeria and Cameroon have been playing the game of who-is-the-greater-of-the-two since time immemorial. And in the aggregate of victories Cameroon clearly has the upper hand. She seems always to be able to manufacture the way to have the last laugh over Nigeria. In nearly all their encounters Cameroon has always found the way to top Nigeria. Before there would be her unsurpassable victory in The Hague, Cameroon had recorded a landmark victory in 1961 when she capitalized on the UN-organized plebiscite to manipulate the citizens of the so-called Southern Cameroon to vote in favor of joining her in the Republic of Cameroon notwithstanding the fact that they would become in an instant the super-minority of English speakers in a nation of French-speaking hawks. Cameroon would repeat the same feat against Nigeria in the early 70's shortly after the civil war.

The great Ahmadou Ahidjo, the first president of Cameroon, saw firsthand the weaknesses in Nigerian leadership under the poorly equipped Yakubu Gowon and decided to capitalize to appropriate as much of Nigeria's territory as he could. Ahidjo manipulated the so-called Nigerian General and got him to sign away to his country a large chunk of Nigeria's territory in the now infamous Maroua Declaration of June 1st 1975. When the wiser Murtala Muhammed booted the inept Gowon out of office, there was a move to return to status quo ante. But Ahidjo and his Cameroonian political chase-masters were not the ones to be thus fooled. They stuck to their guns claiming, "What has been written has been written!" And that began the seesaw agitation that metamorphosed into the Bakassi crisis of today.

But Cameroon had not finished with Nigeria yet. The Cameroonians kept pressing to consummatewhat they had gotten free of charge from the shallow regime of Yakubu Gowon. But they were having a terrible time because Nigerian military leaders were coming from the no-nonsense pedigree of Murtala Muhammed rather than from the lackadaisical and unthinking clan of Yakubu Gowon. Having been frustrated for quite a long time by the hawkish Buhari, Babangida and Abacha; all of whom came from the school of Murtala Mohammed, Cameroon reclined back to her lab of diplomatic creativity. And when she emerged from there she took her case to the World Court in 1994 betting on her political and diplomatic wizardry to outsmart Nigeria. And that is what she has just done. Today Cameroon has embarked on a victory lap after a long fight that cost more in brains and strategy than bravado while Nigeria is confined to toeing the line of least resistance. Nigerians are today reacting in amazement and wonder simply because they have not been attentive enough to the all-round ingenuity and creativity of the Cameroonians in their relationship with Nigeria.

Believe it or not, Cameroon's victory in The Hague came as a result of her ingenious diplomaticinitiatives that included issues as mundane as her football team the Indomitable Lions. Have you been able to notice how she has been effectively employing her intimidating football team to mount a propaganda war against the self-portraying giant of Africa? Can you believe that the tiny country of Cameroon that is not worth more than two or three states in our nation has always beaten Nigeria in the game of international politics whose principal diplomat is her football team the Indomitable Lions? Did you notice that the American tennis superstar, the current world number one player, Serena Williams, proudly displayed the Cameroonian national colors during her magical run at the 2002 French Open? That was a major diplomatic coup by the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon with the help of their clothing company Puma against every other African nation at the World Cup. But it did not take a rocket scientist to discern that the ultimate object and victim of that diplomatic coup had been Nigeria. The Cameroonians in fact succeeded in letting it be taken for granted by the entire world that Cameroon is Africa's best, perhaps in everything. Do you notice how far Cameroon has succeeded in invading the present-day Nigeria with her flamboyant football antics? For the average Nigerians today the Indomitable Lions are like a bunch of out-of-space football wizards that have mastered the art of routinely humiliating our feckless football team that prides itself with an oversize misnomer, Super Eagles.

Did you know that it was the string of defeatsthe Indomitable Lions had inflicted on the Green Eagle that forced the hands of the National Football Association to decree the change of our national team's name from the soft-landing Green Eagles to the present tough-sounding Super Eagles? The NFA thought that Nigeria could use the magic of an awe-instilling name to turn around her fortunes against the "unconquerable" Cameroonians. They insisted on matching the horror-stirring Indomitable Lions with our own awe-inspiring Super Eagles. Hence our fragile Green Eagleswere accorded a super-name, the Super Eagles. And since then every national team in Nigeria has been given the lift of a super-title. You have today the Super Falcons and all what not. The Nigerian football officials obviously believed that Shakespeare could never have been serious when he said that there was nothing in a name!

But unfortunately for us, even after this transformation the Indomitable Lions have not ceased in finding their way to clip the wings of our nominally energized eagles. Many a time they behave as if they are taunting us saying, "give whatever scary name you may wish for your eagles, our 'unconquerable' lions must always have them for dinner." Isn't this frustrating? It is unfortunately the reality of the present-day Nigeria. I know that the Nigerian football officials must be grinding their brains about what else to add to the name of the Super Eagles to make them soar above the "unconquerable lions of Cameroon." I do not envy their position. I believe that Cameroon has shot far ahead in the mastery of the ways to beat Nigeria in all competitions, sports or politics.

Did you ever notice the propaganda of Cameroon at the last World Cup in Korea-Japan? The Indomitable Lions had gone to Korea-Japan toasting themselves as the best in Africa. And they deserved their boast. Having won in quick successions the two previous African Nations' Cup in Accra-Lagos and Mali, having taken African Nations' Cup in Nigeria for keeps, the Indomitable Lions had acquired a resounding bragging right in African football. But they would not be satisfied with just toasting themselves as Africa's best. They decided to carry it a little too far that it almost became a taunt and a put-down of the other African countries especially their neighbors, the Super Eagles, who had become their counterparts in the world tournament.

And together with his French masters and the collusion of Kofi Annan, the Secretary General of the UN, Biya took Obasanjo to the city of light Paris, fed him with milk.... That was exactly the pattern and the same type of trap Gowon seems to have fallen into in the early 70's. In 1971 and 1972, Ahidjo had taken Gowon to his mother's village of Garoua and bamboozled him to promise signing away Nigerian territories around Bakassi.

Their German coach even went as far as boasting to their one-party parliament and their president-for-life, Mr. Paul Biya that his lion-hearted team was the only credible representative of the African continent in the competition. He stopped short of saying that Nigeria alongside the three other African representatives was a mere pretender-representative of the African continent. But perceptive Nigerians understood his coded insult nonetheless. They knew that the Cameroonian coach had unleashed a salvo of insulting propaganda aimed at the heart of the football-crazy Nigerians. And it did hurt! But insult and pride were not the real goal of the coach's boast. The Indomitable Lions, through their foreign coach, were talking directly both to Nigerians and the entire world about the superiority of the nation of Cameroon over Nigeria.

At the end of the day, it was clear that the little nation of Cameroon had succeeded in delivering a coded message to the entire world telling them to forget size and noises obviously from their neighbors in Nigeria and focus on skill and quality and they would realize that Cameroon and not Nigeria was the true giant of the African continent. Fortunately for Nigeria and unfortunately for Cameroon fate pulled a fast one on the unconquerable lions of Cameroon at the world cup. Like their disparaged counterparts from Nigeria, the Super Eagles, the Indomitable Lions became among the most dominated teams of the competition. Could you imagine the relief felt by most Nigerians on seeing the boastful Cameroon crash out of the competition alongside our own humble team that had not been expected to go anywhere in the tournament? It was not loathsome for many Nigerians to see the star of the Indomitable Lions dim at the world cup. In fact they were happy to see the African football backwaters Senegal steal the thunder from the prideful Indomitable Lions.

However, notwithstanding the consolation of a mutual defeat at the world cup, Nigeria's fortune over time has remained dim against the Cameroonians. Cameroon has not only outclassed Nigeria in the field of football play she has consistently outwitted and out-maneuvered her in politics and diplomacy of every competition. The long-reigning Issa Hayatou of Confederation of African Football is a clear testimony that the nation of Nigeria is secondary to Cameroon in matters of skill and politics in sports. And that should give you a little information about the history of our woes with the nation of Cameroon. In nearly every competition they have found a way to dominate us despite their paltry population, which is roughly the size of the state of Lagos, documented and undocumented residents counted.

Am I the only one discerning some kind of symmetry in the way Cameroon gets the better part of Nigeria in nearly everything? Think about it, among the factors that emboldened Cameroon to seek redress in The Hague was the successful manipulation of the Nigerian Yakubu Gowon by her legendary leader Ahmadou Ahidjo. President Ahidjo had seen Gowon as somebody he could make mince meat of any day. And that was exactly what he had done. President Ahidjo kind of invented the Cameroonian recipe for tackling what Cameroon often considers as the Nigerian nuisance.

The same pattern seems to have repeated itself in the year of our Lord 2002. I have the hunch that Paul Biya had considered President Obasanjo as somebody he could just dribble around and goad into a trap. Remember, President Biya was Ahidjo's deputy. He might have learned a lot of tricks from the Cameroonian political sage. Paul Biya, in his political and diplomatic wizardry, seems to have known well ahead of time how the ICJ justices were going to rule. Somebody in or closer to the court might have tipped him off long before the majority would finishwriting their verdict. I would be surprised if he was not intimated well ahead of time on the ultimate outcome of the case he had taken to the world court. So in order to place himself in a vintage corner in which he would be able to enlist popular support to put enormous pressure on Obasanjo after the ruling, President Biya seems to have conspired with his colonial masters to robe Obasanjo into agreeing before hand that he would abide by the ICJ ruling no matter how the chips fell.

And together with his French masters and the collusion of Kofi Annan, the Secretary General of the UN, Biya took Obasanjo to the city of light Paris, fed him with milk, chocolate and some liquor to tingle his head. According to their version of events, Obasanjo thereafter signed on to their ploy to excise some parts of Nigeria alongside some Nigerian citizens and cede them to the government of Cameroon. As reports from the French and British angles have indicated, Obasanjo did promise that he would obey to the letter the International Court ruling no matter how it ultimately went.

That seems eerily familiar, isn't it? That was exactly the pattern and the same type of trap Gowon seems to have fallen into in the early 70's. In 1971 and 1972, Ahidjo had taken Gowon to his mother's villageof Garoua and bamboozled him to promise signing away Nigerian territories around Bakassi. In April of 1975, Gowon kept the faith with the promise he had made to Ahidjo. That was what got us to where we are today. I bet you, President Paul Biya was reading from the Ahmadou Ahidjo playbook when he took Obasanjo to Paris on September 5, this year. He succeeded somehow in boxing Obasanjo to a corner. In my view this proves only one thing. By tradition Cameroonian leaders are both politically and diplomatically smarter than their Nigerian counterparts.

How prophetic had the Cameroonians been with the propaganda they took to the last world cup! They have consistently bested Nigeria in these kinds of competitions. Following the World Court judgment against Nigeria these last couple of weeks, we may have to begin to tell ourselves the home truth that Cameroon may in fact be better than Nigeria in many ways. For a country of roughly 15 million people to have pulled off such an upset against a nation of nearly 120 million citizens required the type of diplomatic dexterity far superior to what is usually seen among the Third Word countries.

To say that Cameroon achieved a monumental victory at the expense of Nigeria is to greatly understate the whole thing. They had a David's kind of victory against a Goliath that is Nigeria. But the Cameroonian feat at the World Court says quite a lot about the political and diplomatic competence of the Nigerian political class. Our leaders indeed have a very long way to go in order to be able to match the skills of their counterparts in Africa and the world. The little nation of Cameroon has succeeded in telling Nigeria to stop fooling herself around comparing herself with the other great countries of the other continents. For Cameroon and perhaps for the Europeans that supported them at the ICJ Nigeria may be a big-for-nothing country!

The fact is a super-sized nation has some privileges over some of its smaller neighbors. But Nigeria no longer enjoys such privilege in the international arena for reasons bordering on her self-infliction of debilitating injuries during the military era and the diplomatic dexterity of her neighbors especially Cameroon. While Nigeria had dozed off on the laps of military dictatorship, Cameroon like Ghana and Ivory Coast before the recent upheaval quietly sold herself to the world as a more mature and organized African nation.

There is no doubt that if there was anything the world court judgment against Nigeria had proved beyond any shred of doubt it was that Nigeria no longer enjoyed the respect of the world. The ICJ verdict had provided one indisputable proof to the level Nigeria had sunk in international respectability. It proved that Nigeria, which has barely and in fact only symbolicallyemerged from her pariah status during the military era still has a long way to go in winning back her lost privileges and respect from the world. The world is yet to begin taking the democratic Nigeria seriously. That was the coded message the ICJ justices had delivered to Nigerians in their very suspicious verdict on the Bakassi peninsula.

http://nigeriaworld.com/columnist/ihenacho/102802.html
joblessness is a disease. What is the relevance of this essay with the topic of the thread?

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 10:20pm On May 16, 2013
You are a fool, and don't let me shame you please, if you dare open a thread
yeboyes: [size=15pt][b]@CAMNEWTON4PRES:

It is sad that you came into this thread and try to swing your dxck in our faces.I do not like to get into this country vs country argument but you asked for it.

First off there is nothing special about cameroon. When the name Cameroon is mentioned ,i just go blank as nothing comes to mind.That is how irrelevant your country is to most people on GOD's green earth. If your country was so good how come your athletes ran away from their camps during the Olympics and tried to stay in the Uk illegally.Dude don't throw stones in a glass house.You need to travel and and stop thinking your village country is heaven.

What is Cameroon known for beyond soccer? Have you produced any Nobel Laureates? Have you produced any notable inventors? Which wars have you been involved in that you actively won? Do you have any indigenous and unique industries? Do you have a globally recognized indigenous cuisine? Do you have a rich and diverse political history? Are you are a power player in Africa? Do your leaders have any clout in the international stage? What has any of your citizens ever done to contribute to the advancement of mankind? What is the highest award any of your citizens have ever received? Who knows you ? How have you impact Africa?

Dude your population is equal to that of Lagos state only and your GDP is $25billion so how are you a giant of any sort? When the name Cameroon is mentioned,nothing come to mind.You are not relevant.The only country in west Africa that can breathe near Nigeria is Ghana so wait in line.

If you want to give constructive criticism to Nigerians do so but if you want to brag to us that Cameroon is this or that,you will be verbally cut down. With all the history you have written about how "dominant" your leaders are how come your country is not an Utopia.How come your brothers are still lining up in their thousand at embassies trying to get the hell out of your wonderful Cameroon.How come your sportsmen don't want to go back home? How come i still see 100s of your brothers being arrested in my country of residence for wash wash and other crimes.

You are talking about what you have done in Bakassi,please show us the roads ,schools ,hospitals ,train tracks,Airports and refineries you have built in Bakassi![/b][/size]

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 10:25pm On May 16, 2013
This is why your country will never avance, you simply can't call a spade a spade and see beyond ethnicity/nationality etc....I was voicing my opinion on the impact of an Islamist region in West Africa when one of your brothers actually two of them jumped on me, I should shut right, well in your wet dreams and if u dare open a thread and post the link here...taking your ignorance for the absolute truth.lmao

Will b waiting
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 10:25pm On May 16, 2013
cowtail: joblessness is a disease. Wh at is the relevance of this essay with the topic of the thread?
go finger yourself
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by Jonzingmaster(m): 10:31pm On May 16, 2013
I LOVE THIS GOD FORSAKING COUNTRY CALLED NIGERIA......KILL ALL THAT WISH TO SECEDE....
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by chinaman666(m): 12:44am On May 17, 2013
bootlegaz:
Sir, the last time I checked Nigeria is a democratic country, so you have the freedom to express yourself. The problem with Nigeria started from almagamation by the British. We are people of different idealogy yet we were brought together out of greed. Its a shame that even the southern elites don't want a break up cos they are gaining from it. Ojukwu tried it after the massacring of his tribesmen in northern Nigeria and he was betrayed by his suppose southern brothers. Please read Frederick Foresight book on Nigerian civil war for more education.

Thanks for the insight. So you're saying the South really isn't benefitting from being joined to the North? Perhaps there are advantages to have a large country, especially to be able to say that Nigeria is the most populated country in Africa, and thus is the "Giant of Africa"?
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by chinaman666(m): 12:50am On May 17, 2013
Truckpusher: China is more than five times larger than Nigeria in land mass with an estimated population of almost one billion people and despite her growth in the last 10yrs, millions of Chinese are still poor in fact very very poor and poorer than some Nigerians unlike the US and Japan with big economies like China .......NOW ANSWER MY QUESTION: Why is it that your Chinese govt. will not allow these people to fragment into tiny countries and form a sovereign nation?

That's exactly what I'm trying to explore. Maybe there is a benefit to being a large country even with hostile groups inside that want out.

The case in China is different in that the minorities do not make up more than 10% of the population, so that they are easily dominated by the majority ethnic group and their natural resources utilized for the benefit of the entire country. The North of Nigeria make up roughly 1/3 of the Nigerian population, correct?

I'm sorry if I came off as arrogant. I'm not trying to either encourage nor discourage Nigeria breaking up. That's not what a foreigner like me should be doing, that should be up to Nigerians.
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by chinaman666(m): 12:57am On May 17, 2013
cogitoErgo:
Your answer is supplied here by a Camerounian!

If security is the chief concern, wouldn't they want the North to become a separate country but kept weak like Israel's immediate neighbors and not to be in the same country so that insurgents can easily infiltrate.

Here's my two cents: I feel like that by keeping the country together, the federal government is doing a big favor to the people of northern Nigeria by preventing Islamists from total control or chaotic anarchy as in Syria or Libya.
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by diarra94(m): 3:22am On May 17, 2013
I lived in borno for so many years and i can tell you that most of the muslims there are either directly or indirectly in support of the boko haram. In my opinion i dont even know why the government is disturbed, let them create their own state or country or wateva and die there

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by negosus: 4:16am On May 17, 2013
Hmn! that would have been interesting. But like it happened in the 60's against Biafra so will it happen to the Bokos. Nobody is breaking-off. Of course they would have been fought back with Federal force. NOBODY is leaving this contraption.
If they dare...there will be civil war like in 60's. This is what we call history repeating itself if it happens.
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by ojjp: 7:04am On May 17, 2013
Tukur should be investigated.
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by OneNaira6: 7:16am On May 17, 2013
CAMNEWTON4PRES: This is why your country will never avance, you simply can't call a spade a spade and see beyond ethnicity/nationality etc....I was voicing my opinion on the impact of an Islamist region in West Africa when one of your brothers actually two of them jumped on me, I should shut right, well in your wet dreams and if u dare open a thread and post the link here...taking your ignorance for the absolute truth.lmao

Will b waiting

dude. you started the fight. stop trying to make yourself look like the victim. one guy wrote about bakassi belonging to Biafra. you jumped on him with your tribalistic bigotted attacks. He defended himself. the bakassi resident joined in and attacked you as well. the first didn't reference you. if you didn't attack him, neither of them would have attacked you. stop playing the victim card. we all can read the transcition between you and them.
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by OneNaira6: 7:24am On May 17, 2013
As for the article. The north is not going anywhere without 6 million of their people dead first. one Nigeria by force. they think they can leave whenever they want but won't allow the courtesy to others. mba north you staying until we say you can go. You forced everyone to stay in this damn country, you ain't leaving like that after una milked ppl dry. have IBB, Atiku, Buhari and co give back all the oil money they stole and shared among eachother. appease everyone for the 6 million death you caused during the war plus the death you caused during asaba massacre. the death you caused during mrs.world, coup, etc bombing. After doing so, then you can leave. sit your @ss down. una are going to suffer this he11hole with the rest of us. Shebi that was your ancestors wish.

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by Nobody: 8:08am On May 17, 2013
Gentle Naaz: I wish GEJ cn wtdraw ds sate of imergncy, so dat ds pepl wl hv dia own country. While we hv our own peace-loving, life respectful soveriegn state of Biafra.
i don't know wats wrong with all you biafrans self. You people are just shouting rybbish because you have oil. You gys think we don't need other parts of the country? Hope you gys know that it is the north that we get pepper, tomatoe and other foodstuffs. I can imagine importing foodstuffs. Then ur eyes will clear. I am pretty sure yhat if you go ur ways you won't fare any better. The south south states get 12 percent of the revenue for derivation alone, and on that they get their normal allocations. And they are not faring better than other states. If you gys separate the few alams and igbenedions will wipe the money. So i dont know what you gys are saying.
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by Nobody: 8:25am On May 17, 2013
chinaman666:

Thanks for the insight. So you're saying the South really isn't benefitting from being joined to the North? Perhaps there are advantages to have a large country, especially to be able to say that Nigeria is the most populated country in Africa, and thus is the "Giant of Africa"?
"chon chin" you are talking sense jare, dont mind all these biafrans wu think thaey are the only ones that make up nigeria. There is a benefit of being jointed. For crying out loud we are the most populous black contry in the world. We have one of the best african armed forces. And we are the giants of africa.
Re: Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur by eldoradoxx: 9:00am On May 17, 2013
Wasn't Ojukwu right after all ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Governors Bowing To President Buhari In Aso Rock (Video) / Stop Creating Fake News On Social Media - Doyin Okupe Tells Obi's Supporters / I’m Not Obasanjo’s Concubine –ezekwesili

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 181
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.