Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,202,248 members, 7,981,432 topics. Date: Monday, 21 October 2024 at 05:06 PM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (70292 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechi’s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Obiagu1(m): 5:40pm On May 19, 2013
ACM10: Afam, respect yourself and don't hide my comment again

hahaha, jabs (not insults) are not even permitted anymore. shocked shocked shocked
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:42pm On May 19, 2013
Saint Chukz: Please what are you all about ? Because it seems from your posts you are not nigerian, so what's your stake in this discussion..? And just an observation too you sound childish also by your posts...
It proves she is a South African and she is trying to defend the right thing about Mandela you guys are dragging into this matter.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:45pm On May 19, 2013
Chinua Achebe rejected the title but some Igbo are here forcing it on him even after his death. This is what is happening in Igboland where when a person walks, a group of old men with red caps give him the title of Onye Na Gaga 1, a buys a car first he gets the title of Onye Puzo Zu Motor 1, etc. Hope the family of Chinua Achebe won't be sent to the EVIL FOREST for rejecting the title.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 19, 2013
Ola Johnson: Chinua Achebe rejected the title but some Igbo are here forcing it on him even after his death. This is what is happening in Igboland where when a person walks, a group of old men with red caps give him the title of Onye Na Gaga 1, a buys a car first he gets the title of Onye Puzo Zu Motor 1, etc. Hope the family of Chinua Achebe won't be sent to the EVIL FOREST for rejecting the title.

The man said he didn't want it, and some are here working overtime to pin it on him! A beg, what is the meaning of Onye Na Gaga and Onye Puzo zu Motor 1? grin
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by max1113(m): 5:54pm On May 19, 2013
babyosisi:

He made African literature popular and respected
Fiction or no fiction
African literature became a staple in USA schools due to Achebe and his things fall apart
That is the point
Your attempt to belittle fiction is laughable
I hope you know most classics that have stood the test of time by authors like Shakespeare,Mark Twain and George Orwell are fiction and the most widely sold book by an African ( things fall apart) also happens to be fiction so Chinua is in excellent company.
I smell ignorance all through your post.

Tanx bro, for putting some of this intellectual embezzle thru. Hw on earth can somebody argue the fact that chinua is FATHER of africa literature. Mctheeeeew.na de reason y them give bokoko amnesty.

Secondly I am tired of educating some of you ,it is annoying to read folks parrot what they hear others say without checking out the facts for themselves
Chinua's most popular book was fiction
But he has to his credit several non fictional books

He is your countryman celebrated the world over,others shouldn't know more about him and his works more than you do
If only the cloak of tribalism will let you.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by oneeast: 5:57pm On May 19, 2013
Here is another report from US. The point am trying to make is that Igbos did not give him this crown rather the world did. It spread like a wild fire all over the world and they started calling him the best of Africa. His work was the only work out of Africa that got to the world stage.

"The Nigerian author Chinua Achebe, Africa's best-known contemporary novelist passed away today at the age of 82. Though he is still best known for his classic 1958 novel, Things Fall Apart, Achebe had been back in the news last year for his memoir, There Was a Country, in which he recounted, for the first time in print, the story of his involvement with the Biafran government during the bloody 1967-1970 civil war. He was one of FP's Top 100 Global Thinkers last year."

http://ideas.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/03/22/chinua_achebe_1930_2013

Making reference to the bold, if there was any other better than this man Achebe in the literary world they wouldn't have accorded the position of AFRICA'S BEST.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 19, 2013
Aigbofa:

The man said he didn't want it, and some are here working overtime to pin it on him! A beg, what is the meaning of Onye Na Gaga and Onye Puzo zu Motor 1? grin
Onye Na Gaga means a person that goes, walks or moves. Onye Puzo Zu Motor means the first person to buy a car.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by oneeast: 6:04pm On May 19, 2013
The only African in the league with Mandela.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 6:06pm On May 19, 2013
Can we discuss the "Nigerian Disease" he alluded to in the interview...and focus on this generation of Nigerian writers? I don't really know much about Nigerian writers apart from; Chimamanda and Ben Okri.

Please, I need a comprehensive list of Nigerian writers who can hold their own in the literary world.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 6:06pm On May 19, 2013
oily+Yoruba:
I must state here, with heavy regret that Prof. Wole Soyinka disappointed some of his staunchest allies/followers (which I'm part of) when he said "Prof. Achebe shouldn't have written his last book". Does the erstwhile able Prof. Soyinka want history and the truth to be silenced/concealed? Why is he suddenly against the truth which is documented in the book called "there was a country"?

Let me state here also, following in the foot-steps of Wole Soyinka that: he (Soyinka) shouldn't have been against the truth undecided. What a shame!
i'm dissappoited too
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SaintChukz(m): 6:07pm On May 19, 2013
Ola Johnson:
The older a professor, the more learned he is. Do you know that when Chinua Achebe was Wole Soyinka's age he was already using wheelchair whereas Soyinka still walks miles on protest matches. Who between the two is age having/had negative impact on?
You are one of the reasons that makes reading here very distasteful. Its very disrespectful to have opined the above. You can be a better person if you want to, rather than drag yourself into the gutter over two people that can be regarded to as very accomplished in their chosen respective fields.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 6:12pm On May 19, 2013
Peole from the SE it is high time you said, Chinua Achebe, REST IN PEACE. And stop this unnecessary effort of yours at making him what he knew he wasn't hence his rejecting it.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SaintChukz(m): 6:16pm On May 19, 2013
all4naija: It proves she is a South African and she is trying to defend the right thing about Mandela you guys are dragging into this matter.
Can't you discern from her posts that she is way off key..? And not even that bothers me, what does is the fact that she is as blind as a bat or more or like an "Olodo" in the matter currently being discussed.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 6:16pm On May 19, 2013
Saint Chukz: You are one of the reasons that makes reading here very disstateful. Its very disrespectful to have opined the above. You can be a better person if you want to, rather than drag yourself into the gutter over two people that can be regarded to as very accomplished in their chosen respective fields.
You should have read and digested what I quoted, or better still, posted it together with yours to have a better understanding.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by emeseilari: 6:18pm On May 19, 2013
patrick89: This is a very intelligent response! But then I don't see anything wrong in making achebe the father of African literature he deserves it, owing to the fact that he popularized African literature through his work, I have few questions here to ask who is the Queen of nollywood? Who is the father of nollywood? what criteria were used in given them the title? Now let me chip in one thing more, those so called *first to do that and do this in Nigeria how did they get to be the first? He(soyinka) clearly stated that in the field like this, even in the music industry there must be this kind of tussle, so Achebe is the father of literature and so what? He is a "storyteller" he (soyinka)used there to me is absurd! I rest my case here

I am very sure u did not understand Prof. Nice try though.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by oneeast: 6:20pm On May 19, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nFPbsL_-SM

The whole world calls him father of modern African Literature.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by babyboy3(m): 6:22pm On May 19, 2013
X-factoria:
I hope those folks from the South-Eastern part of the country, who are constantly and desperately in search of a hero, would understand this and save us all the embarrassment and the noise they make.

First, they tried to make a cowardly Ojukwu a hero, then Chinua Achebe. Maybe their heroes are still in the womb and for God's sake, no one would scold them if they don't have one.

They are all putting there money behind Don Jazzy and Genevieve
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by oneeast: 6:23pm On May 19, 2013
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 19, 2013
Some people could be funny, just because Chinua Achebe posed a picture with Nelso Mandela, he is now called the most recognized in Nigeria. Maybe 9ice who also posed a picture with Nelson Mandela would be called the most influencial. Naija I dey laugh.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Iykeponti(m): 6:25pm On May 19, 2013
We all know dat chief Wole Soyinka deserves some credit.... & we Igbos respect him a lot, we love happening pple like him, dats why we succeed wherever we found ourselves.... There r things u guys can learn from us,same from us... Pls dont mind my grammer grin my mother is not from Britain :/ when u love goodthings,gudthings will get 2you in one way or d other.... CHINUA IS A GREAT FATHER 2US LIKEWISE WOLE...

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by emeseilari: 6:25pm On May 19, 2013
babyosisi:

Fame!
Who made it famous
That is the father

Read on

The highlighted part above can be said of Chinua Achebe
In his lifetime he was and still is Africa's most famous literary icon and has sold more books than any African author dead or alive
That is what makes him the father of African literature
I don't know why you tribalists are so pained by that
The world including fellow African writers,Nobel laureates like Gordimer( an African),Europeans,Americans and Asians describe him by that title and the only people that cry about it are a handful of Nigerians from the Yoruba tribe? grin grin grin
You are greatly outnumbered here cool cool cool
All boils down to jealousy folks
I am disappointed that WS would descend this low

Okay lets say a Chinese or an Indian author's literary work sold 20 million copies in Asia, does that make them fathers of literature. This is part what Prof meant when he warned against trivialising literature.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by wildchild1: 6:29pm On May 19, 2013
have really learnt a lot from the interview and the intelligent comments..respect to CA and WS
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Obiagu1(m): 6:29pm On May 19, 2013
Ola Johnson: Peole from the SE it is high time you said, Chinua Achebe, REST IN PEACE. And stop this unnecessary effort of yours at making him what he knew he wasn't hence his rejecting it.

Some people are called 'Heroes' but they dispute it, what do you say about that?
Is it not humility?

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 6:29pm On May 19, 2013
Iykeponti: We all know dat chief Wole Soyinka deserves some credit.... & we Igbos respect him a lot, we love happening pple like him, dats why we succeed wherever we found ourselves.... There r things u guys can learn from us,same from us... Pls dont mind my grammer grin my mother is not from Britain :/ when u love goodthings,gudthings will get you in one way or d other.... CHINUA IS A GREAT FATHER LIKEWISE WOLE...

The bolded got me rolling.
grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (46) (Reply)

Yakubu Dogara Visits Ibrahim Babangida / Atiku Floors Tinubu Inside Kaduna Government House / I Will Make A Beautiful Bride — Nerita Ezenwa, Fani-Kayode’s New Lover Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.