Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,202,252 members, 7,981,444 topics. Date: Monday, 21 October 2024 at 05:14 PM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (70293 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechi’s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by indoorlove(m): 8:30pm On May 19, 2013
InvertedHammer: Any writer whose work is so important to be translated into 50 languages is simply the best.

Am not surprised because Africans will never appreciate their owns.

The problem with WS is that he wants to be more English than the English--a typical African mentality.

He is trying so hard to attach importance to Nobel Prize which is what Academy Award is to movies.

Let WS come up with something that will be translated to 10 languages only and I will give him the attention he so much

desires. For one, he is a Shakespeare wanna be and lacks originality.
you have just said nothing!
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Obiagu1(m): 8:30pm On May 19, 2013
babyosisi:

You quoted me talking about the nobel referencing peace prize and then tell me it s about the peace prize
Huh
Does the thought of politiiing any if their awards alone not put a dent in the whole award?
That is te point here

I just told him he was lost yet he still finds it hard to understand.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:30pm On May 19, 2013
Crayola1:

We are talking about real movies not backyard productions.
Do think it was produced by your brothers in Alaba market? It is 15 years older than Things Fall Apart.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:32pm On May 19, 2013
Obiagu1: @ TouchDown

I just asked my cousin and he said: "MacBeth I know, Achebe I know, JP Clark I know but who is Soyinka?".

As your brother's keeper, you should have asked him who/what is Macbeth in the context of Achebe and Clark...

grin
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Obiagu1(m): 8:33pm On May 19, 2013
BluIvy:

I am sure these people are asking these questions raght now about the so called " Father of African literature" . Very funny

Unfortunately, more countries are asking for Achebe's work to be translated to their local languages so that millions of their citizens will read the amazing work of Africa Greatest Writer, the Father of African Literature.

50 languages and counting...
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:35pm On May 19, 2013
4watever:

You are not doing too badly yourself. grin

Me? shocked

I haven't had English classes since I left sec. school. I studied sciences. grin

Thanks, anyway. wink
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:35pm On May 19, 2013
It Is hard to find a high school or college student in the USA who hasn't read or will not read Things fall apart as a required text
It is a required text in Nigeria and most African countries
It has been translated into 50 languages and read the world over
I strongly believe the estimated figure of over 10 million copies is highly under calculated
It has to be more than that
Nigeria alone must have more than that number in circulation

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 8:35pm On May 19, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Do think it was produced by your brothers in Alaba market? It is 15 years older than Things Fall Apart.

Still a backyard production dear.

Made with a nokia phone I bet lmao
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Obiagu1(m): 8:36pm On May 19, 2013
TouchDown:

As your brother's keeper, you should have asked him who/what is Macbeth in the context of Achebe and Clark...

grin

Nigerians tried, they wanted more African/Nigerian work in the curriculum but they found Soyinka's work very absurd and they had to replace him with a foreigner.
Drama: Shakespeare
Prose: Achebe
Poetry: JP Clark
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 8:37pm On May 19, 2013
babyosisi: It Is hard to find a high school or college student in the USA who hasn't read or will not read Things fall apart as a required text
I strongly believe the estimated figure of over 10 million copies is highly under calculated

I read it in AP English in HS and again in College.

Its the go to book in the US.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:38pm On May 19, 2013
I'm sure Chimanda Adichie won't say the Booker Int'l Prize is political like she did say on the Nobel Laureate. I pity this girl who lies like Chinua Achebe, only that does this by saying 'my uncle said.'
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 8:40pm On May 19, 2013
Ola Johnson: I'm sure Chimanda Adichie won't say the Booker Int'l Prize is political like she did say on the Nobel Laureate. I pity this girl who lies like Chinua Achebe, only that does this by saying 'my uncle said.'

Are you deranged? You've said this before have you already forgotten?

Ok next time she will say your uncle said cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:40pm On May 19, 2013
Crayola1:

I read it in AP English in HS and again in College.

Its the go to book in the US.

I re-read the book some years ago,you cannot imagine the number of strangers that told me they read it
When I carried around his memoir and read,I had people tell me they read his things fall apart in high school
It s a great feeling to see Americans acknowledge a celebrated author from Nigeria rather than talk about the 419 gang on the evening news
And here people want to belittle the book because tribalism gets the better part of them
Most of them can't make a point coherent enough for an ordinary nairaland "thank you" from any intelligent poster , let alone write an acceptable article for a backyard newspaper

CHinua was 28 or 29 years old when he wrote Things fall apart as a hobby and thought to have it published
He didn't set out to be famous
But the book brought him fame and fortune and exposed the world to African literature like never before
That is a big deal
Anyone trying to downplay it is foolish

RIP to the father of African literature

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:41pm On May 19, 2013
Obiagu1:

Unfortunately, more countries are asking for Achebe's work to be translated to their local languages so that millions of their citizens will read the amazing work of Africa Greatest Writer, the Father of African Literature.

50 languages and counting...

Hehehe! Igbos and their creative mouths, at first it was 15 now 50.

Source please or just mention one language that it was translated to except English which it was written in. Just one!

You people cannot continue claiming things with your mouth with no action to match that other wise you are history!
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:42pm On May 19, 2013
Obiagu1:

Nigerians tried, they wanted more African/Nigerian work in the curriculum but they found Soyinka's work very absurd and they had to replace him with a foreigner.
Drama: Macbeth
Chinua Achebe target audience are children, just like you whereas Wole Soyinka's is the learned adults which you are far from, hence your misunderstanding this interview since the last 24 hours.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 19, 2013
Obiagu1:

Drama: Macbeth

I assumed you knew better than your cousin. Who/what is Macbeth? What books did he write?

LOL.

Its obvious many people here are not even avid or even average followers of literature. Most of us have picked our sides based mainly on ethnic affiliation.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ihimami: 8:45pm On May 19, 2013
My biggest surprise was to found out how competitive the Igbos and Yoruba are through Nairaland, always trying to prove the other is superior. In real life, I hardly noticed this or is it because this is unanimous forum. It is really an unpleasant surprise to me and this really shows this country is not united at all.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Obiagu1(m): 8:46pm On May 19, 2013
BluIvy:

Hehehe! Igbos and their creative mouths, at first it was 15 now 50.

Source please or just mention one language that it was translated to except English which it was written in. Just one!

You people cannot continue claiming things with your mouth with no action to match that other wise you are history!

"Things Fall Apart has been translated into 50 languages "

http://africasacountry.com/2013/03/22/chinua-achebe-the-writer-lives-on/

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by eazzzy1(m): 8:46pm On May 19, 2013
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:47pm On May 19, 2013
TouchDown:

grin

Bro., the "Macbeth" bit got me ROTFL... grin

Obiagu1 has never been the smartest tool in the shed, literally. grin

I bet the guy didn't read the interview. The only thing he cares about is the: "Father of African Literature."

Well, Wole Soyinka can't be compared to "Okonkwo" as well. grin grin grin grin
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Obiagu1(m): 8:49pm On May 19, 2013
TouchDown:

I assumed you knew better than your cousin. Who/what is Macbeth? What books did he write?

LOL.

Its obvious many people here are not even avid or even average followers of literature. Most of us have picked our sides based mainly on ethnic affiliation.

Are you really OK?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:49pm On May 19, 2013
TouchDown:

LOL.

Hahaha! Funny indeed! People are getting exposed. Hahaha
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:51pm On May 19, 2013
Obiagu1:

Are you really OK?

Macbeth was a character in a book by William Shakespeare. grin grin grin grin

I bet in your mind "Okonkwo" was also greater than WS, no? bwhahahahahahaha

Dayokanu: laugh wan make me slap bokoharam

^^^^FML!!!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:51pm On May 19, 2013
Crayola1:

Are you deranged? You've said this before have you already forgotten?

Ok next time she will say your uncle said cheesy
Certain things need to be repeated to carry low thinking pupils like you in the class along. I don't know why it is difficult, more than 24 hours after this interview was posted, for you to understand.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Obiagu1(m): 8:52pm On May 19, 2013
shymexx:

Macbeth was a character in a book by William Shakespeare. grin grin grin grin

Oh, laughing so hard. Corrected.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 8:53pm On May 19, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Certain things need to be repeated to carry low thinking pupils like you in the class along. I don't know why it is difficult, more than 24 hours after this interview was posted, for you to understand.

You said all that to say nothing at allcheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:54pm On May 19, 2013
Obiagu1:

"Things Fall Apart has been translated into 50 languages "

http://africasacountry.com/2013/03/22/chinua-achebe-the-writer-lives-on/

An interesting sentence there is and I quote

Things Fall Apart has been translated into 50 languages – how many of them are African languages? How many of the translations are in a Nigerian language?

We should be ashamed that the book is not in any Nigerian language including Igbo or is it?
That is a big shame
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 8:54pm On May 19, 2013
BluIvy:

Hahaha! Funny indeed! People are getting exposed. Hahaha

You too lol you asked what languages Things Fall Apart was in and was too lazy to use simple google cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:55pm On May 19, 2013
Crayola1:

You too lol you asked what languages Things Fall Apart was in and was too lazy to use simple google cheesy

Lol
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by oneeast: 8:55pm On May 19, 2013
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by oneeast: 8:55pm On May 19, 2013
ayox2003:

Honestly, his points are flawless. Come-to-think-of-it, if civilisation started in Egypt- which is now africa- before the birth of Christ, then its very senseless to say the "Father of African Literature" died in 2013. Makes african literature assume a toddler stage. Even Igbo literature has been way before the birth of Achebe but the fact that we africans are poor record keepers made our past heroes and giant disappear into oblivion.

For a thing, Achebe did excellently well in his chosen field but saying he's the Father of those who passed his culture to him makes it very watery. Plus, because it was written in a whitemans language makes it "un-african".

Achebe is definitely the most popular writer but Father? Shove it.

Frawzey

Yes it is possible that there were people that came before Achebe. But the fact of it all is that Achebe popularized and brought to the world stage African Literature. Infact Achebe created in the first instance what is known as African Literature. This is because before him came, people like Joseph Conrad had written off Africa as savages and wild dungeon until Achebe intervened and gave to the world what is known today as the African Literature. This is how Achebe came to be known world wide as the Father of Modern African Literature.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 8:57pm On May 19, 2013
babyosisi:

An interesting sentence there is and I quote

We should be ashamed that the book is not in any Nigerian language including Igbo
That is a big shame

No need to be in any Nigerian language. This thread shows that Nigerians don't treasure or have an appreciation of what they have so why waste good ink and paper cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (46) (Reply)

Atiku Floors Tinubu Inside Kaduna Government House / I Will Make A Beautiful Bride — Nerita Ezenwa, Fani-Kayode’s New Lover Says / Fatima Buhari: N100,000 Paid As Bride Price At Her Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.