Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,202,283 members, 7,981,541 topics. Date: Monday, 21 October 2024 at 07:39 PM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (70297 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechi’s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:57pm On May 19, 2013
Obiagu1:

"Things Fall Apart has been translated into 50 languages "

http://africasacountry.com/2013/03/22/chinua-achebe-the-writer-lives-on/

I said mention one other language or source that list the languages. Please! What you listed is nothing really than a hear say!
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:57pm On May 19, 2013
Crayola1:

Still a backyard production dear.

Made with a nokia phone I bet lmao
You're indeed educated for saying a 1971 movie was produced with a nokia phone.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 8:59pm On May 19, 2013
TheBookWorm: It is very hard to compare Chinua Achebe with Wole Soyinka.

If one is to read a novel by Chinua Achebe, you notice that you become engrossed into the book. It shows that he is a master storyteller.

And let me be honest, it took me a while to appreciate Wole Soyinka's literary masterpieces. When I read his work in high school, his work was like reading an African Shakespeare. It took me going to college and reading his work again to appreciate his style. His work is also good for plays just like Shakespeare.

So I think it is safe to say that Chinua Achebe is the Father of Africa's Modern Literature, but Wole Soyinka is like Africa's Shakespeare. But this is just my humble opinion.
The truth is that, the only reason why people try to compare Soyinka to Achebe is unconnected with the fact that Soyinka won the Nobel prize. Had he not won it, he would have just been regarded with the likes of Elechi Amadi, Cyprian Ekwensi, Ola Rotimit etc.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Obiagu1(m): 8:59pm On May 19, 2013
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Fexydurn(m): 8:59pm On May 19, 2013
babyosisi: For those actually interested in knowledge not the block heads parroting hear say

Chinua Achebe's published works include non fictional books dating back to many decades and they include

The trouble with Nigeria

The African Trilogy

The Education of a British protected Child

Home and Exile

Hopes and Impediments

There was a Country

And others

Don't let ignorant posters on nairaland who have never read ANY BOOKS ,deceive you

OMG you read the books indeed with this I dont need further explanation on the reason for your being a 'dye in the wool' ignoramus
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Zikado: 8:59pm On May 19, 2013
babyosisi: Wole Soyinka should be careful not to destroy the legacy he has built by involving himself in unsavory affairs.
The first time the Prof disappointed me was when he spoke in support of Patience Jonathan's perm sec appointment,now this.

Chinua Achebe was called the father and grandfather of African literature by others
He did not label himself that
People recognized his immeasurable contribution to African literature and bestowed on him that honor in his lifetime so it is quite petty for WS whom I respect a great to utter such words.
It makes him sound jealous and he should be above such pettiness.
Michael Jackson was called the King of Pop
Elvis was the King of Rock and Roll
Donna Summer was the Queen of Disco While Aretha Franklin is and remains the Queen of soul
That label on Chinua is deserving.

Secondly why speak about Chinua's Book in his death what you couldn't say while he was alive?
I love Soyinka but his words here are beneath a man of his calibre
Maybe old age is setting in
Still respect you sir but you disappoint me here once again

tnx bro,u jst spoke ma mind ...u v said it all

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 9:01pm On May 19, 2013
Ola Johnson:
You're indeed educated for saying a 1971 movie was produced with a nokia phone.

Who cares lol. Is anyone checking for that film or know it exists?

Ironically the film Soyinka is well known for is based on Things Fall Apart.

Its come full circle for the guy cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:03pm On May 19, 2013
POSSIBLE TITLES TO BE CONFERRED ON SOME IGBOS BY THEIR PEOPLE
*Father of football - JayJay Okocha.
*Monday of African literature - Chimanda Adichie.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 9:04pm On May 19, 2013
shymexx:

Your last sentence don't make sense at all. Shakespeare is the standard for English literature, and if he's a "Shakespeare wannabe" - that's good thing. At the end of the day, he got to the pinnacle of that Shakespeare wannabe-ism and also won the most prestigious prize for it. Whilst still being African in his consciousness. wink You can't be more African than WS. wink
I'm surprising that you said this. Whatever happened to your Africanism.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 9:06pm On May 19, 2013
Afam4eva:

It was and always was complete bs cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 9:06pm On May 19, 2013
soyinka is a nobel winner, so is gordimer, and a nobel winner called achebe 'father of modern african literature', so why the fuss? Big ups achebe, you've made the literary world world salute africa, you've also opened the door to other writers in africa. Rest in peace.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Ojiofor: 9:06pm On May 19, 2013
Even if he did said that,he said it to his face.why did soyinka have to wait until Achebe pass on before opening his mouth?

Nah, the jealous one was the one that said this:

"He did make one rather unfortunate statement that brought down the hornet’s nest on his head, something like: “The fact that Wole Soyinka was awarded the Nobel Prize does not make him the Asiwaju (Leader) of African literature”.[/quote]
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:07pm On May 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
The truth is that, the only reason why people try to compare Soyinka to Achebe is unconnected with the fact that Soyinka won the Nobel prize. Had he not won it, he would have just been regarded with the likes of Elechi Amadi, Cyprian Ekwensi, Ola Rotimit etc.

No, the only reason why people compare Achebe to Soyinka is because of his "Things Fall Apart" book that counteracted Joseph Conrad's racist "Heart of Darkness." He fed off that energy and truth be told, without that energy, I doubt Achebe belongs to the same class as WS in literature, in its purest form.

That's the truth and nothing but the truth!!

I'm out, yo!! undecided

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:09pm On May 19, 2013
Afam4eva:

You are a hypocrite! Who moderates your bigotry? Smh* Now you can ban me if you want.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Obiagu1(m): 9:09pm On May 19, 2013
Can we realistically say that Wole Soyinka was over hyped for nothing.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 9:11pm On May 19, 2013
shymexx:

No, the only reason why people compare Achebe to Soyinka is because of his "Things Fall Apart" book that counteracted Joseph Conrad's racist "Heart of Darkness." He fed off that energy and truth be told, without that energy, I doubt Achebe belongs to the same class as WS.

I'm out, yo!! undecided
It's the truth to you. As a matter of fact, i rate the likes of Ola Rotimi and Cyprian ekwensi ahead of Soyinka anyday. Whenever Soyinka is being talked about in the media, the only thing you hear is "Nobel winner". They never talk about his body of work. But we hear of Achebe's "Things fall apart", "Arrow of God" and "man of the people". They shouldn't even be compared cos they're not mates in anyway.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:11pm On May 19, 2013
why is it that ibo people thinks everyone hates them and is jealous of them. Why do they have to be so bitter. Father or no father, the man don die. All you can do now is to honour his memory. maybe it will be better sef if they have biafra nation so we can rest.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 9:14pm On May 19, 2013
Some folks really are uneducated. People think that the more difficult a book is to read the better it is lmao.

Really who are the functioning illiterates and what backwards school allowed them to leave their 4 walls with a degree in hand cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:15pm On May 19, 2013
Obiagu1: Can we realistically say that Wole Soyinka was over hyped for nothing.

WS is not overhyped
The movie that wins an academy award is not necessarily the highest grossing movie or the people's choice but the choice of those in the committee that did the selection.
It is still noble to win the academy award.
That is what I see here
Let us not forget that Chinua won the man booker award several times in his lifetime plus others
That is no easy feat either.

It s said that his harsh criticism of Conrad's heart of darkness which portrayed Africans as savages must have cost him the white man's Nobel
Well those are Speculations
We may never know

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Mrchippychappy(m): 9:16pm On May 19, 2013
shymexx:

No, the only reason why people compare Achebe to Soyinka is because of his "Things Fall Apart" book that counteracted Joseph Conrad's racist "Heart of Darkness." He fed off that energy and truth be told, without that energy, I doubt Achebe belongs to the same class as WS in literature, in its purest form.

I'm out, yo!! undecided

http://entertainment.time.com/2005/10/16/all-time-100-novels/slide/all/

Check under "S-T" Column . There's a little "surprise" for you there wink wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 19, 2013
honey86: why is it that ibo people thinks everyone hates them and is jealous of them. Why do they have to be so bitter. Father or no father, the man don die. All you can do now is to honour his memory. maybe it will be better sef if they have biafra nation so we can rest.

1000000+ likes
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ajanaku2(m): 9:18pm On May 19, 2013
Afam4eva:

...bad usage of the English Language!..."is not unconnected"/"is connected" you meant up there!

How many Soyinkas and Achebes have you read sef? I guess none!

Small boy!
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Obiagu1(m): 9:18pm On May 19, 2013
babyosisi:

WS is not overhyped
The movie that wins an academy award is not necessarily the highest grossing movie or the people's choice but the choice of those in the committee
That is what I see here
Let us not forget that Chinua won the man booker award several times in his lifetime
That is no easy feat either

Not today.

Ha ma ka ha si akpu anyi n'ala
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:19pm On May 19, 2013
Crayola1:

Why you mad though. If you want to call Soyinka the alpha and omega of literature you are free to do so. Is anyone stopping you folks?
Wole Soyinka is far ahead Chinua Achebe. While Chinua Achebe is known only in writing fictions, Wole Soyinka is, in addition to being known as a poet and a dramatist, also known for activism, essay writing, the MC at independence day ceremony on 01/10/1960, the founder FRSC, the winner of drama entries for independence in 1960 etc. It is only the educated class that read literature that know Chinua Achebe. But in addition to being known as a writer, Wole Soyinka is also known even by illiterates as an activist, a critic, etc. My uncle in the village without education knows Wole Soyinka.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (46) (Reply)

I Will Make A Beautiful Bride — Nerita Ezenwa, Fani-Kayode’s New Lover Says / Fatima Buhari: N100,000 Paid As Bride Price At Her Wedding / Charly Boy Joins Shettima Challenge (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.