Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,681 members, 7,945,093 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 11:06 AM

When Is It Good To Be Poor - Tonnie Iredia, Former NTA DG - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / When Is It Good To Be Poor - Tonnie Iredia, Former NTA DG (718 Views)

10 Ways To Be Poor In Life / Happy Birthday Uyi Iredia / Why It Is Imperative For Some People To Be Poor!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

When Is It Good To Be Poor - Tonnie Iredia, Former NTA DG by etunoman76(m): 7:14am On May 20, 2013
Different write-ups attract different readers. While some people prefer light-hearted articles that relax the mind, other persons that are often described as ‘serious’ readers are hardly interested in storylines. Rather, they want the point to be quickly but logically made. What such persons tend to overlook however, is the ease with which stories enhance the quality and opinions being made by writers. Indeed, stories can help readers to easily comprehend the issues in focus in a write-up. This is why today’s article is softened with a few stories on prosperity and vanity.

Our first story is that of my rich friend who built a mansion with 10 waiting rooms, 16 living rooms and 12 bedrooms. Those who visit him daily leave his premises in awe after going through the inspection tours organized for visitors to the mansion. Each visitor would exclaim that the man has arrived meaning that it is good to have money. But is it really expedient to be stupendously rich? May be wealth can place a person in a position to meet virtually every need. On the other hand, it can make him to be irrational.

What does anyone need 16 different living rooms for in his house? Is it so as to have enough rooms to meet with 16 different visitors at the same time?  Again, what does any person need 12 different bedrooms for? Is it so as to be able to sleep on more than one bed at the same time? A deep thought on these issues is likely to suggest that sometimes, too much money can increase the level of a man’s insanity. In other words, there are times when it is probably good, if not better, for a person not to be wealthy.

This is a subject from which as an individual, I gained ample experience during my days in service.    From 2003-2008, I headed the Nigerian Television Authority-a federal government parastatal which was compelled (only during my tenure) to rely on internally generated revenue. The several projects I initiated and completed showed that many things can be achieved through prudence and determination.

More importantly, was my discovery that in Nigeria, it is those who have money that have problems. While my colleagues who thought they knew how to lobby and attract huge government subventions were permanently under siege in their offices, I had little money but great peace. Contractors had no interest in my office because they got first hand information from their friends in government that only salaries were sent to me.

Thus, while the scarcity of funds provoked ingenuity, the serene environment occasioned by the absence of contractors and busy bodies provided for me an enabling disposition towards innovation, efficiency and effectiveness. Even over sight functions by legislators concerning my organization were quite few during my tenure. In all, I got little money, little attention and little troubles including interference. So, who says there is no time when it is probably better to be poor?
Even if the issue is looked at from point of view of an entire government, it is also not difficult to see the evils of money. This year, 3 States- Enugu, Niger and Bayelsa announced their budgets at about the same time making it easy to compare the figures. The money available to Bayelsa to prosecute capital projects only was about the same as the total budgets of Enugu and Niger put together. Lagos, Akwa Ibom, Rivers and Delta States similarly have huge budgets which ought to put them well ahead of others. But there is no evidence that the wealthy States are where we can best find the dividends of democracy.

For example, Ekiti State cannot be described as one of our wealthy States but it has a commendable system of welfare assistance including free health care and welfare grants to the elderly to reduce old age poverty. In like manner, Jigawa State, a visibly poor State has a social security package for the disabled and other disadvantaged people. It is a pragmatic programme put in place by the Sule Lamido administration through which every disabled person in the State receives a monthly income of N7, 000.00.

Jigawa is poor but in 2012, it announced the completion of works on about 1000 kilometres of township, feeder and new roads in the State at a total cost of N56 billion. In ‘wealthy’ States, road contracts are a different ball game. In the first place, they are never advertized; so, neither the issue of competitive bidding nor cost benefit analysis arises. Some of the contracts go for as high as N400million per kilometre and there can be variations two or three times. Half way through, the contracts can be re-awarded while in some cases, they may never be completed because the State concerned is not essentially a poor entity.

Let us take a look at Gombe State which is no doubt poor. It is the second from the bottom in the table of revenue allocation in Nigeria. Yet, it reportedly has the highest record of delivery in terms of water supply and road infrastructure in the country. In recognition of such giant strides, an award was conferred on the State Governor, Alhaji Ibrahim Dankwambo, by the Nigerian Society of Engineers at its 45th National Engineering Conference and Annual General Meeting in Ilorin.
Gombe is indeed twice lucky. The first aspect is that it has as its Governor, a chartered accountant, whose passion is to harness the State’s meagre resources for optimal benefit to his people. As a result, Dankwambo cuts the State’s coat according to its cloth. He does not under the guise of development; procure huge loans that the next 3 generations of his successors cannot repay.

The second is that Gombe has the advantage of not being one of our wealthy States. Oh yes, paucity of funds plays a big role in dissuading profligacy. It is more difficult for instance, for a leader in a poor State to join the league of those who renovate government guest houses at a cost higher than what is needed to build a new university.  Is it not good to be poor some times?

By Tonnie Iredia

http://www.nigerianeye.com/2013/05/when-is-it-good-to-be-poor.html?m=1
Re: When Is It Good To Be Poor - Tonnie Iredia, Former NTA DG by Nobody: 7:42am On May 20, 2013
He make sense sha

(1) (Reply)

I'm In A Hurry / Sexkillz Banned Me Till 2040...high Level Of Madness / What Kind Of Moderators Do We Have On Nl This Days(post Ur View On Mods)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.