Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,201 members, 7,933,968 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 03:15 PM

Reason Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Reason Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers (2181 Views)

Parents With Young Children And Phones / Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? / Is It Wise For Parents To Bath With Their Young Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reason Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers by AMossley(m): 7:04pm On May 20, 2013
Hello nairalanders,I am currently doing a research to know reasons why young children(from birth to like 5/6 years) suck their fingers.some even suck two fingers and only stop when they are matured enough to see that it's not proper.Others stopped after being forcefully made to through application of bitter things on their fingers by parents.Not only fingers,some suck their lips while rubbing their navel.
I want reasonable contributions as per the reason,any congenital,medical or hereditary reason?
Re: Reason Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers by Nobody: 7:43pm On May 20, 2013
Its natural.nothing wrong in it.just leave them,they will outgrow it.my mom too said i sucked my thumb when i was an infant so no big deal.just ensure your kids fingers are always clean.she said i stopped by myself at 5years however when it still continues at 7 plus,then you should be bothered
Re: Reason Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers by azubaby(f): 2:37pm On May 22, 2013
Its caused by hunger i think. My daugther sucked hr hand becaus i was not lactatin well. Now my 10weeks old baby is tryin to do d same wen ever he is hungry. If dey r fed wen ever dey r hungry dey wil nt suck dir finger.
Re: Reason Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers by degurl(f): 4:01pm On May 22, 2013
I watched a video titled The human body by Dr Robert Winston. In the pregnancy and childbirth chapters, a scan showing a 7months old foetus clearly showed the baby sucking its thumb. The Doctor said that babies start sucking their fingers from the womb and i believe him cos I saw the live video of the ultrasound.
My girlfriends one year old son sucks his thumb any time of the day even immediatley after eating. Its just a habit which they all outgrow. The most difficult to stop and outgrow is sucking of the lips. Back in the university, I had a 29yr old female course mate who still sucked her lips and another child hood friend of mine who still sucked her lips when we were 24years old. She stopped after she got married.

Google for more information.
Re: Reason Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers by nellaluv(f): 12:33am On May 24, 2013
To tell u the truth sucking the thumb is easier to outgrow, but sucking the lips, o boy it's death do you part shocked
Re: Reason Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers by Nobody: 8:35pm On May 25, 2013
Some babies start sucking immediately they are born. Case in point- my nephew. Right from day one, he had started sucking his thumb. Cause he was as young as can be at that time, he sometimes even found it difficult to co-ordinate his fingers to get the thumb out and alone in other to successfully get it into his mouth. That would even make him cry. Was quite a cute and funny scene to watch i must say.

Hmmm, that's the little i know about it. And sorry, cos i dont know why they do so.
Re: Reason Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers by Nobody: 8:38pm On May 25, 2013
By the way, i saw the same nephew after three years, and didnt notice him sucking at all for the few days i was with him- so i think he has stopped.
Though i'm sorry, cos yet again, i cant tell you why.
Re: Reason Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers by Nobody: 4:23pm On May 26, 2013
Thumb sucking is therapeutic and relaxing to kids. Thats why.

(1) (Reply)

My Mother Became Jealous When She Heard We Were Becoming Close To Our Step Mum / This Lady Has No Womb Nor Cervix / Man Bathing His Baby In Blue Coloured Bowl, Must Be A Male Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.