Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,084 members, 7,906,974 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 08:06 PM

Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court (11597 Views)

Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Affirming Akwa Ibom, Delta, Oyo, Yobe Elections / Atiku Abubakar Hanging Out With His Daughter / Man, 22, To Die By Hanging For Stealing N955, 600. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by lanre2009: 11:05am On May 23, 2013
Nigeria’s Supreme Court on Friday in Abuja ordered that the ring leader of a notorious armed robbery gang, Mr. Salisu Isiaka, who has been terrorizing the people of Kwara state and giving them sleepless nights, is to die by hanging for stealing handset.

In a unanimous decision, the apex Court restored the decision of the High Court which had earlier sentenced Isiaka to death
by hanging.

The convicted armed robber had pleaded not guilty at the trial court and had contested the death by hanging judgment passed on him.

Dissatisfied with the death sentence thrown at him by the High Court, Isiaka appealed the sentence at the Court of Appeal. He recorded a temporary reprieve at the appellate court as the death by hanging sentence was set aside and his release from prison custody was also ordered by the court.

His joy was however short-lived as he soon ran into yet another trouble.

Trouble started for Isiaka on the 27th of August, 2009, in the evening hours when one Mulikat Abdulkareem was allegedly attacked by Isiaka who was armed with a cudgel with which he hit his victim on her head several times until she was dispossessed of her handset.

Luck however ran out on him when the police who were on patrol in the area got a distress call and raced to the scene.

He was shot on the leg by the police but he managed to escape to a nearby house from where he was arrested by the police.

After his arrest a search was conducted on his person and the same Nokia handset just stolen from the victim as well as the cudgel were recovered by the police.

This prompted the challenge of the Court of Appeal’s decision at the apex court which restored the high court death by hanging sentence on the handset thief.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/05/10/scourt-phone-thief-must-die-by-hanging/

1 Like

Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by YOUNGKAHUNA: 2:40pm On May 23, 2013
Na wa oo.......
Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by skyfaze(m): 2:41pm On May 23, 2013
Mtcheew Ndi Ara......
Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by hoochay: 2:43pm On May 23, 2013
WHAT OF THOSE WHEN THEY STEAL MONEY?HW WILL THEY NOW DIE

2 Likes

Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by daviide: 2:43pm On May 23, 2013
Becuz he stole a phone Embezzlement nkor diz jux sad angry angry angry angry
Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by ojjp: 2:43pm On May 23, 2013
His cup is full.

1 Like

Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by Dapyem(m): 2:44pm On May 23, 2013
i tink dats beta if d judiciary can continue 2 uphold d rules of law witout bias,sentiment e.t.c
Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by Nobody: 2:44pm On May 23, 2013
Ok he has bei.g stealing,stop puting it that way handset. but it don,nt wort hanging or lifeimprisonment.
Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by manny4life(m): 2:45pm On May 23, 2013
The mere fact that he caused undue harm to the woman and she was unconscious, probably suffered head injury is enough for severe punishment. However, on a lighter note, is capital punishment/death penalty an equitable sentence? Nope.

NASS has to repeal certain criminal laws and their sentencing guidelines, this is ridiculous. Someone steals million and indirectly cause harm resulting to death of others, and they go home with a bail bond, while another steals a much lesser valued item, and death is the penalty.

3 Likes

Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by Warlord3000(m): 2:45pm On May 23, 2013
So basically.. He wasn't really sentenced for stealing the phone per se..

I guess his armed robbery record tarnished it all..

RIP in advance to him.. That's all

5 Likes

Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by odiman: 2:45pm On May 23, 2013
Others should learn from this
Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by dplomaticVal: 2:45pm On May 23, 2013
Na wa!..He
Ws Arraigned
In 3 Courts For
Stealing A Cell Phone.....

1 Like

Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by Nobody: 2:45pm On May 23, 2013
Did Mulikat die? ? ?

Na attempted murder/stealing na!!!

Why should he be hanged?
Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by AtheistD(m): 2:46pm On May 23, 2013
He is not a phone thief, he is an armed robber. A thief steals, an armed robber uses a weapon to terrorise his/her victims and then steals from them.

Armed robbery is a much more serious crime due to the potential for deaths during the operation to occur.

Tough sentences need to be passed down to armed robbery gangs no doubt.

5 Likes

Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by Evablazze(m): 2:47pm On May 23, 2013
Dead by hanging for stealing a phone..nah dis barbaric, wat then happens to billion $ stealin politicians..
Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by Pukkah: 2:47pm On May 23, 2013
Generally, I have no pity for criminals but our justice system seems to be kinder to big time scoundrels and criminals like militants, embezzlers and pen robbers who from time to time get a mere slap on the wrist or plea bargain.

What is good for the goose should be good for the gander. If our justice system continues to administer light punishment on the likes of those pension thieves, the Cecilia Ibrus and Lucky Igbinedions, and impose harsh punishment on this phone thief and the one in Osun state, then it would generally embolden people to 'sin big time' whenever they want to sin.

Interestingly, it is the actions of the treasury looters and embezzlers that further impoverish the people and thereby create 'small thieves'. It's a vicious cycle.

By the way, I am not saying that the law should have pity on any thieves or armed robbers. But the justice system should equally come down very hard on the subsidy thieves as well as phone thieves.

4 Likes

Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by troy07: 2:48pm On May 23, 2013
How will corrupt politician die? Firing Squad
Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by Nobody: 2:48pm On May 23, 2013
Let the idiet die. He's a killer. If he can hit the woman with a cudgel because of a nokia handset, only God knows what he will do when it comes to a million.

2 Likes

Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by GoodSamaritan: 2:49pm On May 23, 2013
Oil subsidy thieves nko?
Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by hoochay: 2:49pm On May 23, 2013
Evablazze: Dead by hanging for stealing a phone..nah dis barbaric, wat then happens to billion $ stealin politicians..
my sister if u ask me now,may be i will ask the mod for hiding my mumu post
Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by Nobody: 2:51pm On May 23, 2013
The ignorance displayed by fellow Nigerians sometimes is shocking! I dont care where the poster got this news from, but the Supreme Court can never uphold such a judgement, and i know the lower court did not make that pronouncement based on just the facts given here.

What must have happened is this: yes, the convict must have committed murder as well, along with phone theft- as such he must have been charged with; 1. Murder. 2. Phone theft.

Going by the aforemention, the sentence of death by hanging passed on him, must have been for murder, not the other- phone theft.

People,reporters are fond of leaving out important details, just to create excitement, and elicit comments like, ''na wha oh'', ''hmmm'', ''nigeria'', etc.

Abeg im tired of typing, but please let's change.

1 Like

Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by TS2(m): 2:53pm On May 23, 2013
He got what he deserved. You know you have a case to answer then you go and commit the same crime again
Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by tutu1: 2:54pm On May 23, 2013
I don't understand, I have not read anywhere that the man killed somebody so why get death by hanging, even boko haram members are been given amnesty, the court should be fair in judgement, we need to see boko haram members and sponsored hanged not petty thief's

2 Likes

Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by Kx: 2:57pm On May 23, 2013
Is d heading correct when it reads phone thief must die by hanging?
Well, if phone thief must die by hanging, N23b pension thief must be commended with national award.
Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by Drsunnie(m): 2:57pm On May 23, 2013
No evil doer shall go unpunished . Everyday is for the thief one day is for the owner . His CUP is full. May he receive lord's mercy before the D-day .
Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by Nobody: 2:59pm On May 23, 2013
Warning for petty thieves, stop stealing peanuts. It will land u in jail, go to a bank and steal millions. I'm yet to see a bank robber die by hanging in modern Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by DJDOLA(m): 3:04pm On May 23, 2013
Yes I like dat....am using dis 2 tell who so ever stole my bold 5 u will not die by hanging but die by acid..
Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by ireke(m): 3:09pm On May 23, 2013
The title is grossly misleading - the stolen phone case was just used in court to support the fact that he is a dangerous and unrepentant criminal.
-
Summary:
The guy was sentenced to death by hanging for ARMED ROBBERY.
He appealed the judgement and managed to get the sentence lifted at the Court of Appeal and he was also released.
Shortly after his release, he attacked this woman and stole the handset in question. He was caught.
This action prompted a challenge of appeal Court's decision at the Supreme court.
Supreme court upheld the initial judgement of the lower court for him to die by hanging for ARMED ROBBERY.

Nairalanders should also take time to read before replying in droves

4 Likes

Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by Tunsbobo(m): 3:21pm On May 23, 2013
Death penalty is too harsh, even if he was found guilty of earlier charges!
Re: Phone Thief Must Die By Hanging - Supreme Court by loswhite(m): 3:38pm On May 23, 2013
daviid_e: Becuz he stole a phone Embezzlement nkor diz jux sad angry angry angry angry
do u knw hw to read @ all

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Uguru Usani Was Indicted For Fraud In Cross River (Documents Attached) / Court Rules On Suit Trying To Stop Buhari's Inauguration Of Ministers / Jangali: N500 Per Cow Yearly — Katsina To Introduce Levy For Cattle Owners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.