Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,131 members, 7,943,077 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 03:19 AM

Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English (9370 Views)

NYSC Director Berates Youth Corpers Who Cannot Speak Simple English / Some NYSC Members Can’t Speak English Language- NYSC DG / Many Nigerian NYSC Corpers Can’t Read Or Write – Brigadier General Nnamdi Okore- (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by oziomatv(m): 6:35pm On May 06, 2008
I'm 100% sure that this story is fabricated. And may looking at it it has TRIBAL undertune.
 I've an uncle who is on import and export he travels to Europe and Asia every month. he only finished primary school that's all, So you people are trying to tell me that he do communicate with his business partners with Igbo language. This is a way to bring Igboman's image low.

It doesn't happen in history for a graduate who studied in English language not to speak English.

Bleep YOU GUYS THAT MADE THIS THREAD.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 6:37pm On May 06, 2008
oziomatv:

I'm 100% sure that this story is fabricated. And may looking at it it has TRIBAL undertune.
I've an uncle who is on import and export he travels to Europe and Asia every month. he only finished primary school that's all, So you people are trying to tell me that he do communicate with his business partners with Igbo language. This is a way to bring Igboman's image low.

It doesn't happen in history for a graduate who studied in English language not to speak English.

Bleep YOU GUYS THAT MADE THIS THREAD.

where was this outburst in IPBM's threads?

You people are funny. Denial ko ma daa grin
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by oziomatv(m): 6:50pm On May 06, 2008
D-reloaded:

where was this outburst in IPBM's threads?

You people are funny. Denial ko ma daa grin

Yes, I was attacking IPBM for writting mess about YORUBA and HAUSA without a good reason.
And base on that you're taking your revenge?
Listen,
those who come against us, they finally end up being part of us. It has has happened in many ways than one.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 6:55pm On May 06, 2008
oziomatv:

Yes, I was attacking IPBM for writting mess about YORUBA and HAUSA without a good reason.
And base on that you're taking your revenge?
Listen,
those who come against us, they finally end up being part of us. It has has happened in many ways than one.

who are you referring to?

who's taking revenge? Lmfao. abegi oziimatv, lo joko

Just because this story is hard for you to swallow cos it happened in your part of the country has nothing to do with me. Yes the story COULD have been made out to be more than it is but you are crying out for the wrong reason and that is what I have a problem with.

Then again, it's not that hard for me to believe that story anyway, it's Nigeria afterall, all the girl had to do is throw money around, connections and money is what works for people, infact i'm sincerely surprised she didnt do the same for NYSC
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by oziomatv(m): 7:02pm On May 06, 2008
Remember your surname is changing soon to Igboname or added to.

Please it's oziomatv not oziimatv the O makes the meaning.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 7:04pm On May 06, 2008
oziomatv:

Remember your surname is changing soon to Igboname or added to.

Lmfao 

Is that so? Better tell your brothers calling a guy "Dim" is not in my blood.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by oziomatv(m): 7:12pm On May 06, 2008
Fighting us will get you heart attack , just learn to love us and see changes in your life.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by 4Play(m): 7:19pm On May 06, 2008
These 2 lovebirds are at it again. grin grin
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by oziomatv(m): 7:26pm On May 06, 2008
@4him, 4play 4u, 4sex, 4us .4them. whatever you put after 4, get this to your mind an inquisitive monkey always carry bullet on his head.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by OsunAmazon: 7:39pm On May 06, 2008
Now you are just being silly
Is it proper for a moderator to be proficient in languages like this? Ain't moderators supposed to be setting the pace here?

NO, it is not strange to me as I have actually seen people who claim to have college degrees in Nigeria that have a seriously poor command of the English language that I always assumed they were lying to me but deep down, since I have been through the system, I can understand how it could be possible. I am not sure if you have ever been on campus on Nigeria before but take a trip and you might see what others who believe it is possible this story is true, know, that you do not seem to get.
What about George W Bush that graduated from Yale but can hardly speak good english? Does that sound strange to you too? Once again, do you that criticize Nigerian graduates speak impeccable english? I cannot be a media LovePeddler because a story is skewed to entertain me. First of all, the girl did not commit any crime and you and I know that publishing her name in the newspaper constitutes to a libel suit if it was in America. Why should they infringe on her personal rights and publish her name in the first place? Will you find that funny if she is your relative?  So much for junk journalism in Nigeria where everybody is lawless.

Instead of trying to make excuses, go see what others have seen and know. Ever wonder why people are made to take the TOEFL exam before they move here for school from Nigeria That might be someplace for you to start.

There you go again, Indians, Ghananians, South Africans,Philipinos and most countries where english is spoken also write TOEFL and it's preety much a way of making money.

I already pointed to all parts of the story that make it credible and all you can come back with is cause you can not IMAGINE how it could happen is reason why it is not possible and GW does not know how to speak English. Keep it up!!! Maybe with all the excuses, you may be able to get her a job.

Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 7:42pm On May 06, 2008
he's not a moderator anymore, dimwit.

oziomatv:

Fighting us will get you heart attack , just learn to love us and see changes in your life.

Save that for IPBM, mohdana and co jare.

4Play, how many people are you placing on my head sef.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by OsunAmazon: 7:42pm On May 06, 2008
Better to only speak with "ghetto" language than make make so called discussions that have YET to make any sense
Talk about english proficiency.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by oziomatv(m): 7:46pm On May 06, 2008
Hotfunmi and D-reloaded
Please am begging for the peace of this thread.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 7:49pm On May 06, 2008
OsunAmazon:

Talk about english proficiency.

Hey dumb cunt, there's nothing wrong with that sentence. You are the last person that should EVER correct anyone, not to talk of moi

Looking for another banning, right? Continue looking for my trouble.  grin
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Kobojunkie: 7:51pm On May 06, 2008
OsunAmazon:

Is it proper for a moderator to be proficient in languages like this? Ain't moderators supposed to be setting the pace here?

What about George W Bush that graduated from Yale but can hardly speak good english? Does that sound strange to you too? Once again, do you that criticize Nigerian graduates speak impeccable english? I cannot be a media LovePeddler because a story is skewed to entertain me. First of all, the girl did not commit any crime and you and I know that publishing her name in the newspaper constitutes to a libel suit if it was in America. Why should they infringe on her personal rights and publish her name in the first place? Will you find that funny if she is your relative?  So much for junk journalism in Nigeria where everybody is lawless.

There you go again, Indians, Ghananians, South Africans,Philipinos and most countries where english is spoken also write TOEFL and it's preety much a way of making money.

First off, even moderators have minds of their own but I have no idea what that even has to do with anything or even this debate.

There you go pointing to GW bush and other people when this story is about a woman in Nigeria who cannot speak or write good English. She was denied a job with a secondary school as an intern cause of this. How many college graduates do you know of that were denied internships cause they could not speak good English. All you have come up with is one lame excuse after another. Please focus, we are not speaking of Bush who seems to have be doing well regardless of your personal opinion of his English skills. Every single person on this thread has pointed out that this is not about speaking IMPECCABLE English or BEING perfect in the language but simply about being able to effectively communicate your idea as best you can. I am not sure the principal would have penalized her should she have been able to do so in broken English but seems the case here is that she can not at all handle basic English language, written and spoken and that is the problem.

Stop trying to come up with lame excuses already and focus on the issue here. The media reports she was penalized by a school principal, not a college professor or even the English Queen herself. But a school principal.

TOEFL is being taken in countries where the standard of English being taught is not considered up to par, is the point I am trying to make here. JEEZZZ
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 7:51pm On May 06, 2008
oziomatv:

Hotfunmi and D-reloaded
Please am begging for the peace of this thread.

Tell the tarbaby to ignore me like she usually does, after all Im not a dude so she doesnt need my attention and all will be well. Else, iya ma joro e.

Madam Iyabo Obsanjo twin, Tell us more about communism  cheesy
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by oziomatv(m): 8:03pm On May 06, 2008
two wives of the same man has never fight the way you chics do.
Your making thread looks like a war zone.
Ladies for that matter.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by OsunAmazon: 8:13pm On May 06, 2008
One thing is being stupid, another is calling a whole generation ugly because they are dark complexioned. Either way, you win and you can be light skinned for all I care but you still remain a bloody negro. Wannabe oyibos here dey make me laugh. Tar black?  it's people that make fools out of themselves. I'm sure that 90% of us here from the western part of Nigeria are dark complexioned and what a shame for a fellow westerner to think that 90% of us are ugly not because of the way we reason or behave but because of our complexion. It's all good, thank God the world seems to think differently and beyond skin colors. No wonder ibo boys make money from your likes selling steroids. I may be TAR black but am happy,athletic,healthy and DAMN  gorgeous.

"Ghetto is good for nobody"-Tupac Shakur.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 8:18pm On May 06, 2008
Lmao. looks like I struck a nerve. Mission Accomplished.  grin

Save the sermon for someone who cares. That is a word I would use for only you and you alone so shut your bloody trap and spare us the rants. Burnt amala looking tart  cheesy

As for ghetto, Lmao is someone from Baltimore seriously calling a Westchester girl "ghetto". Lmfao. Look here, it's not my place of living that is shown on The Wire  k?
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by OsunAmazon: 8:22pm On May 06, 2008
Baltimore is a city in MD and OsunAmazon does not live in Baltimore. Anyway, you are not from west whatever, you are actually from Ekiti abi?
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 8:33pm On May 06, 2008
Why? Have a problem with Ekiti or something?

Btw denying Baltimore cos it's a hellhole isnt gonna help you.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by OsunAmazon: 8:41pm On May 06, 2008
First off, even moderators have minds of their own but I have no  idea what that even has to do with anything or even this debate.

Shouldn't they exercise some form of control and try to be civil at all costs even amidst heated debates?

There you go pointing to GW bush and other people when this story is about a woman in Nigeria who cannot speak or write good English. She was denied a job with a secondary school as an intern cause of this.

Can you expertly correlate her job denial with her english proficiency? What if there are tribal  sentiments involved? You are yet to justify the media publishing her name and subjecting her to public ridicule when she did not commit any crime? Will you be happy if a multinational company do the same to you in the national dailies  because you failed a simple java test?

How many college graduates do you know of that were denied internships cause they could not speak good English
There is always a reason to deny, fire or hire us all. Banks in Nigeria hire people that are less qualified than others all the time and can justify it even at the supreme court. In America, it's not only your degree that speaks, it's a total package that leans heavily on your PR and race so don't be surprised you'll be bounced from a teaching job if you apply to become a professor in a university  here even though you are a smart alec. That is life, even if the girl is a complete 'ode' that somehow passed through the system, it's not a reason to claim that the whole Nigerian students are half baked.  When I was in Creighton, the best foreign students came from Nigeria and they already had a first degree in Nigeria. If they were that bad, how come they turned around to humiliate even the smart Chinese students here?

. Every single person on this thread has pointed out that this is not about speaking IMPECCABLE English or BEING perfect in the language but simply about being able to effectively communicate your idea as best you can

Do you have any proof that she cannot communicate effectively in the language since the same article claims she speaks only Ibo and serves in hausaland? Was she speaking ibo to them to get around, buy food, enter okada etc? Being able to communicate in a language is relative and can only be figured out to a degree of uncertanty.
English is a language, it's not mathematics where you can effectively guess who's average, below average or above average. More than 80% of people I hear that criticize people for bad english commit blunders while expressing their disgust in the same language. Sounds like apot calling kettle black to me.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by sheniqua: 8:44pm On May 06, 2008
I'm also a tar baby and we rule!
so are you TOH!
It's nothing to ashamed of
we don't all have to be yellow banana abi paw paw
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by OsunAmazon: 8:45pm On May 06, 2008
No, I don't have any problem with Ekiti. I only have problem with people that deny Ekiti and claim they are from WestChester unless there is a local government in Ekiti called Westchester. I can only remember Ikerre, Efon Alaye, Ise,Ode,Ikole,Ado etc but no WestChester. As for me, I can never come from Baltimore. I've worked there before but can never come from WestChester, Hollywood, Brooklyn,Bverly Hills etc, I'm from Ilesha.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by sheniqua: 8:47pm On May 06, 2008
TOH and funmi need to marry OYB
that's the only solution here grin
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 8:47pm On May 06, 2008
are you daft or something?

Seriously why are you so retarded? Chicken pox went wrong?

I live in Westchester you stupid slowpoke. What the hell?

Are you living in Osun State right now, slowpoke?
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by vicade(m): 8:49pm On May 06, 2008
i think there should be a cursing thread/forum so that when people go off topic and start cursing, they can go there and battle it out.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 8:51pm On May 06, 2008
sheniqua:

I'm also a tar baby and we rule!
so are you TOH!
It's nothing to ashamed of
we don't all have to be yellow banana abi paw paw

Osis I no be tarbaby e jo. I'm definitely not lightskinned however.

I don't even like the word, it's offensive which is why it's only being used on DaftFunmi.  grin
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 8:54pm On May 06, 2008
omo dada ni oyb. I like him jare.

He sees thru her desperate antics which is why she stalks him grin
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by sheniqua: 8:56pm On May 06, 2008
lol.
it's derogatory to call darkskinned people tar baby
what is not tar to you may be tar to another but it's wrong for us blacks to say such
I am definitely not light skinned but not black like Ghanaians.
I've seen your pics,we have the same skin tone.
let's not accept any labels or put labels on each other.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Kobojunkie: 9:05pm On May 06, 2008
I took the liberty of reposting the article abstracts for you so you can take a second look to see what it really and maybe understand what it really says.

So much has been written about the falling standard of education in Nigeria over the past few years, that one cannot fail to appreciate the severity of the situation for Nigeria as a nation.

Last week there was a case of a Professor of computer science in court who could not answer basic questions about computers, today we read about a lady who was supposed to have completed primary school, secondary school, and then Enugu State University before enrolling in the NYSC.

The only problem was that somewhere along her educational pathway, somebody forgot to teach her English.
No matter what her paper credentials say, it's obvious that she never really learnt to communicate outside her mother tongue. Once again, this is not a problem limited to Enugu state university graduates( I know many excellent Enugu State university graduates), or Ondo computer graduates, it's a national disaster.

Very soon, Nigerian companies would be going to other countries to recruit messangers, clerks, cashiers, not to talk of accountants, engineers, or doctors.

Anybody who agrees that this is a national problem deserving urgent and quick action is welcome to share his/her opinion, also anybody who disagrees and thinks that this is another case of Nigerians in diaspora bashing Nigeria their motherland is also welcome to contribute, but as for me, I fear for naija!

http://news.dailytrust.com/content/view/9008/27/

NYSC member can’t speak English’
Written by Aliyu M. Hamagam, Gombe
Sunday, 04 May 2008
Article Index
‘NYSC member can’t speak English’
Page 2
Page 1 of 2
The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in Gombe State has rejected the posting of one Miss Ikpeama Doris Ifeoma, over her inability to speak the English language.

Sunday Trust learnt that Ikpeama, a 28 years old Accountancy graduate of the Enugu State University of Science Technology (ESUT) and a serving corps member in the state could not communicate or write in English.

Speaking to Sunday Trust, the state coordinator, Dr. Ogo-ochi Agbo Emmanuel, said she had undergone three weeks orientation programme without being discovered until she was posted to Government Girls’ Secondary School Doma Gombe for her primary assignment as classroom teacher.

She was reportedly screened by the school principal who found out that she could only speak her native language, Igbo.

She applied to the NYSC state secretariat before any complaints from the school principal that she could not go on with her primary assignment on health grounds.

While making the complaints, she was asked to lodge a formal complaint in writing by the state coordinator, Dr. Emmanuel, after some difficulty in communication with her.

Dr Emmanual said she could not write the letter, adding that the state secretariat later got the rejection letter from the secondary school, complaining of her inability to speak English.

He said the NYSC secretariat alerted the NYSC headquarters, saying that Ikpeama is now at the state secretariat pending further directives from the headquarters.

He added that she claimed to have attended the community primary and secondary schools Eziagu, her hometown, before enrolling into ESUT.

OsunAmazon:

Shouldn't they exercise some form of control and try to be civil at all costs even amidst heated debates?

Maybe you need to look up the meaning of what you are being told in the dictionary. Trying to argue the way you are trying to now is just you being silly. Focus on the subject at hand and not try to dart about the place, trying to find excuses when there is none for this to exist in a country where the lingua franca happens to be English and the Queen’s English to be exacts.

Can you expertly correlate her job denial with her english proficiency? What if there are tribal sentiments involved? You are yet to justify the media publishing her name and subjecting her to public ridicule when she did not commit any crime? Will you be happy if a multinational company do the same to you in the national dailies because you failed a simple java test?

This is the problem with not focusing on what we know and trying to inject every thing you can to make a point that is not even related in anyway to the story. What if this and what if that. We can pull that for the next 100 years but fact remains that two separate people in the article are said to have noticed that she was seriously deficient in English skills. Tribal?? They are all ibos involved here. Could we also inject racism into this for an excuse??

There is always a reason to deny, fire or hire us all. Banks in Nigeria hire people that are less qualified than others all the time and can justify it even at the supreme court. In America, it's not only your degree that speaks, it's a total package that leans heavily on your PR and race so don't be surprised you'll be bounced from a teaching job if you apply to become a professor in a university here even though you are a smart alec. That is life, even if the girl is a complete 'ode' that somehow passed through the system, it's not a reason to claim that the whole Nigerian students are half baked. When I was in Creighton, the best foreign students came from Nigeria and they already had a first degree in Nigeria. If they were that bad, how come they turned around to humiliate even the smart Chinese students here?

This is the problem that I have with people who have this thing with telling the truth. They feel a need to make unfounded excuses so they do not need to face reality.

Fact is we have a bad system right now. We have been churning out too many illiterate graduates and it is not a joke anymore. In every school, there is surely that number of folks who pass through the school but the school never really passes through them.

In this case, this gal cannot speak or write the English language which you do not even have to attend college to know of or be able to use. I have and know people who have never really been to college but have a good command of the language and can write well. In fact, my best friend never went to college and he is doing great as a senior IT professional who spends most of his day studying one principle or another as an architect. He gives demos and seminars to members of his team. If it was the case that he did not know how to express himself or even write his ideas down and effectively communicate them to others, do you think it would not matter in his career??

If this girl actually went to college and came out with a degree, what message do you think that sends of our educational system??

Stop trying so hard to inject America into this debate and focus on the issue here.

Do you have any proof that she cannot communicate effectively in the language since the same article claims she speaks only Ibo and serves in hausaland? Was she speaking ibo to them to get around, buy food, enter okada etc? Being able to communicate in a language is relative and can only be figured out to a degree of uncertanty.

If you have never been to hausaland, ask. There are tons of ibos in the north and they get by with their language and even broken when they do not understand Hausa. Please do not go on to tell us that Hausa’s speak immaculate English to the Ibos in the north cause that will be where I end this.

English is a language, it's not mathematics where you can effectively guess who's average, below average or above average. More than 80% of people I hear that criticize people for bad english commit blunders while expressing their disgust in the same language. Sounds like apot calling kettle black to me.

Actually, your English is not immaculate either, so please get off that high horse ( just incase you are riding one). English is a language and if you have any understanding of what language is, it is the only form of communication we all have with the world around us. How can you communicate anything, even in Math’s when you do not have good language skills?? You can continue to take pock shots at people but it remains that this case speaks of a situation where a person, on two separate occasions, been found wanting when it comes to basic communication in a language that is not new but the Lingua France in that country. She failed to get a job at a primary school cause she did not have the good command of the language needed. This is again, a College Graduate and not just any high school drop out.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 9:23pm On May 06, 2008
osisi like I said I dontcall anyone tarbaby cos I believe it's an offensive term however knowing that it hits a nerve in her body, I believe it's just right for her grin

How your ":abeokuta" btw tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

GRAPHICS! Worsening Pictures Of Oyo State NYSC Camp / Nysc Batch B 2012: B.r.e.a.k.i.n.g. N.e.w.s / ‘Take Care Of NYSC Members’, Gov. Ajimobi Tells Residents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.