Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,553 members, 7,972,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 11:18 PM

Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English - NYSC (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English (9415 Views)

NYSC Director Berates Youth Corpers Who Cannot Speak Simple English / Some NYSC Members Can’t Speak English Language- NYSC DG / Many Nigerian NYSC Corpers Can’t Read Or Write – Brigadier General Nnamdi Okore- (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by naijaking1: 12:20am On May 07, 2008
English may not always reflect a student's depth of knowledge, especially when it is secondary to a mother tongue. However, the importance of English as a communicative, teaching, and learning instrument cannot be over-emphasized. High schools in the east knew and emphasized the importance of English as long as I could remember.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by sheniqua: 12:31am On May 07, 2008
bia kobo who the fried fish are you writing all that GS 101 term paper for?
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by naijaking1: 12:54am On May 07, 2008
Even those doing Igbo, Igbo, BK still had to pass English in those days.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Kobojunkie: 12:55am On May 07, 2008
[size=13pt]I apologize. Just wanting to drive home the point that there is no such thing as a valid acceptable excuse for a 28 year old woman, living in Nigeria, holding a Bachelors in Accounting, should not be able to Speak and write good English, enough to get her a job , better still enough to teach a primary school English Class. Why in the world do the entrance exams stress the need for students to pass the verbal aptitude tests to qualify, if it is of no relevance??[/size]
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by naijaking1: 1:02am On May 07, 2008
Even if all this lady knew was accounting, I bet her textbooks were written in English. I agree, she did not have to be a Chinua Achebe or a Wole Soyinka, but she should have enough English language in her to communicate, even as an accountant.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by OsunAmazon: 1:15am On May 07, 2008
However, the importance of English as a[b] communicative[/b], teaching, and learning instrument cannot be over-emphasized
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by OsunAmazon: 1:20am On May 07, 2008
I
apologize. Just wanting to drive home the point that there is no such thing as a valid acceptable excuse for a 28 year old woman, living in Nigeria, holding a Bachelors in Accounting, should not be able to Speak and write good English, enough to get her a job , better still enough to teach a primary school English Class. Why in the world do the entrance exams stress the need for students to pass the verbal aptitude tests to qualify, if it is of no relevance??

Do you also agitate for the press to continously and aggressively disgrace any graduate found wanting in that area by publishing their names in the national dailies?
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Kobojunkie: 1:58am On May 07, 2008
Is that what this debate is now about
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by naijaking1: 2:27am On May 07, 2008
For the sake of counter-argument, let's not frget that the lady in question has not stated her case, all we have is a press interpretation of the circumstances which does not always have a 100% accuracy (not a good time to list all possible reasons why press reports are often inaccurate)

Hypothetically, our discussion is based on the fact that the story is accurate as written.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Nobody: 5:01am On May 07, 2008
naijaking1:

For the sake of counter-argument, let's not frget that the lady in question has not stated her case, all we have is a press interpretation of the circumstances which does not always have a 100% accuracy (not a good time to list all possible reasons why press reports are often inaccurate)

Exactly the point Osunamazon has been trying to drive home.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by palmwine(m): 7:02am On May 07, 2008
sacking her dean and VC is not the issue here. You all fail to realise that this may just be another case of Toronto certficate!
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by naijaking1: 7:51am On May 07, 2008
palmwine:

sacking her dean and VC is not the issue here. You all fail to realise that this may just be another case of Toronto certficate!

What's that?
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by OsunAmazon: 8:34am On May 07, 2008
What's that?
Have you forgotten Buhari? How quick we Nigerians forgive and forget!
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Kobojunkie: 9:10am On May 07, 2008
If debating how legit NewsPaper articles are in here, we would have absolutely no debate in here daily considering there is bound to be bias when it comes to which we think is legit and which we do not think is legit. That is why people try to use real life instances to support their stance on issues. We could also go about analyzing the post about the Computer Science Professor the same way and would end up with people coming up with the same sort of excuses @OsunAmazon tried to come up with to explain that one as well.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by naijaking1: 9:20am On May 07, 2008
OsunAmazon:

Have you forgotten Buhari? How quick we Nigerians forgive and forget!

Pardon me, but I just don't remember Toronto certificates.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by naijaking1: 9:30am On May 07, 2008
Kobojunkie:

If debating how legit NewsPaper articles are in here, we would have absolutely no debate in here daily considering there is bound to be bias when it comes to which we think is legit and which we do not think is legit. That is why people try to use real life instances to support their stance on issues. We could also go about analyzing the post about the Computer Science Professor the same way and would end up with people coming up with the same sort of excuses @OsunAmazon tried to come up with to explain that one as well.

I think for the sake of a complete argument, we should consider everything. We're discussing this issue here because of the 90 something percent trust we have in our news media, we hope that the facts as presented are true. Until I hear from the other party, I like to maintain my 1% suspicion of the original story.
Same principle applies to all news reports, ie computer prof/Nigerian priest arrested for having sex with 2 prison inmates/Gani/Obama, etc.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by RichyBlacK(m): 3:25pm On May 07, 2008
I've read through the whole post. My comments:

1. Kobojunkie continues to reason with her left breast instead of with her brain. No hope for her yet.

2. +osisi/babyosisi/nwando/sheniqua/list-too-long-to-continue has been balanced and objective.

3. naijaking1 has expressed real concerns about Nigeria and the state of her educational system.

4. As for D-reloaded, I wonder why she would go as far as using a racial slur (used by those racist assholes scattered all over the Americas) against a fellow black; talk about black on black crime sad . For example, inasmuch as I consider Kobojunkie an amateur practitioner of sophistry, I'll NEVER call her a nigger, NEVER.

5. OsunAmazon has delivered the most insightful posts on this thread, while maintaining an enviable level of objectivity. Your intellect is recognized!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

‘Take Care Of NYSC Members’, Gov. Ajimobi Tells Residents / GRAPHICS! Worsening Pictures Of Oyo State NYSC Camp / Corpers Posted To Yobe And Borno Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.