Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,316 members, 7,971,159 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 01:00 AM

"Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State (12976 Views)

Youths Entrepreneurship Support (YES) Launched By Buhari Administration / See Photos Of The 259 Customized Patrol Vehicles Launched By Police IG In Abuja / Opon Imo Launched By Osun Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by DuduNegro: 8:08am On Jun 11, 2013
jibsai:

First his name is Ajimobi and not ajumobi...oyo state political slogan for dz administration is "Ajumose gbogbo wa" meaning it is our collective responsibility..."Ajumo mo" stated here mearly means its "collective understanding" more we should all be in the known zone, get informed...anyways this is a good idea, something to be happy about esp d students that will benefit directly...

......the DAWN vision was to create a Common Front Enterprise for all governing lands under the Yoruba commonwealth. Part of their objective was that a child relocating from one state can resettle in another with a seamless transfer and resumption of his/her education because all the interfaces of classroom studies and instruction will be uniform.

Against that background, how does Ajumo Mo integrate a child relocating from Oyo to Osun where their tablet is called Opon Imo? Let us stop cheering everything as a brilliant idea. The age of cheerleading is past. What Osun did was innovative and brilliant, we dont need to reinvent the name - Opon Imo.
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by mankand(m): 8:29am On Jun 11, 2013
Meritbaba: Must you criticise everything from the SW?

He is 100% correct, why should he name it after himself? That is one thing that pisses me off this country. Why was he elected as a governor?

Only in Nigeria is see the elected seeing it as doing a favoir for the masses
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by VALIDATOR: 8:43am On Jun 11, 2013
Who are these eediots that do not even understand Yoruba language saying he named it after himself.Why not seek clarification from those who understand the language? FYI, Ajumo'mo means collective knowledge (pool of knowledge) and is not related to Ajimobi (rising up to find your way... or something like that).

Also, is anything wrong in not calling it Opon imo (tablet of knowledge)as Osun, it's pioneer did? So, you are saying if Anambra state introduces same thing they should call it Opon imo? It is hi time we learned to appraise things for effectiveness and efficiency and not just on sentiments. We should be more concerned about having an appraisal system for the project from conception to realization. We should be more concerned about if it is just a way for the governors and his paddy's to siphon money or if it is a project that will add value to Nigerian students living in that state.

5 Likes

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by mankand(m): 8:50am On Jun 11, 2013
I am proudly Nigeria, proudly yoruba.

Only the Yorubas have poved and will always prove to be the pride of Africa and Nigeria by developing their mind.

I do not want say something now and my oga at the top (mod) will be angry with me an say something else

2 Likes

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by jibsai(m): 9:10am On Jun 11, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

......the DAWN vision was to create a Common Front Enterprise for all governing lands under the Yoruba commonwealth. Part of their objective was that a child relocating from one state can resettle in another with a seamless transfer and resumption of his/her education because all the interfaces of classroom studies and instruction will be uniform.

Against that background, how does Ajumo Mo integrate a child relocating from Oyo to Osun where their tablet is called Opon Imo? Let us stop cheering everything as a brilliant idea. The age of cheerleading is past. What Osun did was innovative and brilliant, we don't need to reinvent the name - Opon Imo.

All I kno is we are in a federal republic where 36states make up d federation, why on earth will u insist states must be uniformed? Ofcos there will be a guildline, a format to follow...dats why it 6-3_3-4 format of education nationwide, that's y certain number of textbooks are recommended, that's y syllabus are given out. Now osun came out with "opon imo" for her STUDENTS, they designed it d way dey felt best suits dem nd there kids, why must oyo do dat? Is it a must? I say NO, I disagree with d idea dat dey most be uniformed. Laws of d 2 states differs, yes same party, good ideas but telln me oyo have to call it opon imo too is out of it. This is not a regional govt, it is 2 individual states wit a Govt dat can change in terms of policy, work rate nd continuity anytime...remember PDP's akala nd oyin agreed to split lautech, ACN's ajimobi nd aragbe have reversed dat...so if it were a joint project den there will b a law enforcing dat it does not break! ThankS

2 Likes

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Gbawe: 9:13am On Jun 11, 2013
mankand:

He is 100% correct, why should he name it after himself? That is one thing that pisses me off this country. Why was he elected as a governor?

Only in Nigeria is see the elected seeing it as doing a favoir for the masses

He did not name it after himself. What is the correlation between Ajimobi and Ajumo mo? Please let us be factual and not just assassinate character emptily.

1 Like

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Nobody: 9:15am On Jun 11, 2013
Made by an 'asian company', when Zinox is there. Mtchw......

Sorry, but i can never be impressed with any Government ajumo whatever made by an asian firm when it can be made in Nigeria! Fullstop!
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Nobody: 9:18am On Jun 11, 2013
@Gbawe,
I believe the guy is right. The introduction of this tablet is a smart move in the Western states initiated by Ogbeni. From the political point of view, the name "Opon Imo" is a nice one that others can also use (Morever they are talking about regional integration plan) instead of naming things after their names; same non sense Oyinlola did in Osun State (inscribing Oyin on all state properties). Shoud these guys loose power, consequent government would not see reasons to scarp the development for political reasons.
Gbawe:

He did not name it after himself. What is the correlation between Ajimobi and Ajumo mo? Please let us be factual and not just assassinate character emptily.
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by jibsai(m): 9:19am On Jun 11, 2013
speedyboi: Made by an 'asian company', when Zinox is there. Mtchw......

Sorry, but i can never be impressed with any Government ajumo whatever made by an asian firm when it can be made in Nigeria! Fullstop!

Am guessing ur phone is made in nigeria (zinox),maybe ur computer sha, u prolly hav all ur materials and needs made in nigeria! Mtcheeeewwwwww...nobody is interested if u are impress or not! FULLSTOP

2 Likes

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Nobody: 9:19am On Jun 11, 2013
HNosegbe: What I'm not clear on is whether the teachers have been trained on the use of these tablets.

I mean, if it's a "learning tablet", someone's gotta do the teaching, right? undecided

I don't think they need to do any "teaching" per se - they just need to show the students how to navigate the device(probably for a day or two). And with computing devices; once you use it regularly, you should be able to navigate everything on your own. It's more of a comprehensive e-book.

Topic:

I think this is a good initiative. And they overall cost would be way cheaper than buying hard-cover textbooks. Also, it depends on the memory of the tablets. Impressive.

3 Likes

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by TriPorth: 9:21am On Jun 11, 2013
Afam4eva:
He should leave subsequent governors to name things after him and not him naming it after himself. It's not just right. If this stuff succeeds, the next governor might see a need scrapping if not for anything but for the fact that it has the name of the previous governor attached to it.
There is need for criticism, no doubt. Unhealthy criticism has been your hallmark. Kindly do a little research and get good knowledge about what to criticize.

1 Like

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 11, 2013
What many people here do not know is that all these 'opon imo', 'ajumo mo' of a thing is not new in Nigerian schools. Federal government started it few years ago through NCC and the project was given to ZINOX. What ACN government are doing is just rebranding this as if they are the pioneer. I am not condemning it, at least its a positive development but all am saying ia that federal government started it even since the time of Obasanjo and they have not made so much noise about it. What federal government did that time was that they picked on some schools all over the country, established ICT departments there and equipped them with necessary facilities, internet, solar power supply, 100 tablets minimum, computer systems and printers and even furnitures in most cases. they sent experts to train the teachers on how they will use it to teach the students as well. Whoever is in doubt should visit Methodist Grammar school, bodija and some other schools like that in Oyo state.
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Gbawe: 9:24am On Jun 11, 2013
speedyboi: Made by an 'asian company', when Zinox is there. Mtchw......

Look at issues honestly vis a vis your own entrenched attitude and perhaps patently unreasonable outlook. Oyo may have many legitimate reasons for not sourcing from Zinox same as British Schools may use Dell instead of Apricot which is British. Why then is your approval or disapproval for this initiative tied rigidly to the supplier chosen and not the idea itself and its benefit to our children?
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by jibsai(m): 9:26am On Jun 11, 2013
jejet: @Gbawe,
I believe the guy is right. The introduction of this tablet is a smart move in the Western states initiated by Ogbeni. From the political point of view, the name "Opon Imo" is a nice one that others can also use (Morever they are talking about regional integration plan) instead of naming things after their names; same non sense Oyinlola did in Osun State (inscribing Oyin on all state properties). Shoud these guys loose power, consequent government would not see reasons to scarp the development for political reasons.

Um, bruv its either u aint reading or u aint understanding...Ajumose wa is oyo state political slogan, av no effect on us as citizens, akala had oyato, ladoja had idera de, when he was impeached it went down with him, he came back to campaign with dat again in 2011...ajimobi has always said is govt wud be a collective one, so stop sayin what is not, its not is name, ajimobi is pronounced in a funny way sef, smfin lik (waking up to know where evil is) ow is dat related to "our collective task"(ajumose wa)

1 Like

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by cycline404(m): 9:30am On Jun 11, 2013
Afam4eva:
INteresting indeed...I guess i'll be expecting other ACN states to do same.

OSUN STATE Did it FIRST!.... But when will Lagos do theres? Maybe they are negotiating with Steve Jobs.
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by mightykay(m): 9:32am On Jun 11, 2013
it is a pity that people of low or no senses are talking in Nigeria, at this age brainless people criticise good ideas, all the critisms are baseless 1. ajumo mo is not ajimobi, 2 tablets is goods for our students now even if the basic amenities are not in place, critice dat. you know this people's problem, their children will not benefit from it cos they put them in private school. for God's sake let these poor students enjoy something in this Governments. if u want a tablet for your child, put him in public school.oyo state and western states in nigeria are known to set pace therefore dont mind dullard heads, non inovative minds, and follow follow people.they will soon adorpt it while we have moved to another level we will continue to set pace for you in nigeria

1 Like

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by VALIDATOR: 9:33am On Jun 11, 2013
2curiousity: What many people here do not know is that all these 'opon imo', 'ajumo mo' of a thing is not new in Nigerian schools. Federal government started it few years ago through NCC and the project was given to ZINOX. What ACN government are doing is just rebranding this as if they are the pioneer. I am not condemning it, at least its a positive development but all am saying ia that federal government started it even since the time of Obasanjo and they have not made so much noise about it. What federal government did that time was that they picked on some schools all over the country, established ICT departments there and equipped them with necessary facilities, internet, solar power supply, 100 tablets minimum, computer systems and printers and even furnitures in most cases. they sent experts to train the teachers on how they will use it to teach the students as well. Whoever is in doubt should visit Methodist Grammar school, bodija and some other schools like that in Oyo state.

What FG did is completely different. They equipped a few school's ICT centers with computers and tablets. The states are giving out textbooks (in form of tablets) to all students. Putting a few books in the library is different from giving books to all students to take home.

1 Like

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by EkoAtlantic: 9:33am On Jun 11, 2013
2curiousity: What many people here do not know is that all these 'opon imo', 'ajumo mo' of a thing is not new in Nigerian schools. Federal government started it few years ago through NCC and the project was given to ZINOX. What ACN government are doing is just rebranding this as if they are the pioneer. I am not condemning it, at least its a positive development but all am saying ia that federal government started it even since the time of Obasanjo and they have not made so much noise about it. What federal government did that time was that they picked on some schools all over the country, established ICT departments there and equipped them with necessary facilities, internet, solar power supply, 100 tablets minimum, computer systems and printers and even furnitures in most cases. they sent experts to train the teachers on how they will use it to teach the students as well. Whoever is in doubt should visit Methodist Grammar school, bodija and some other schools like that in Oyo state.

Can you provide any credible source to back that highlighted claim of yours?
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Gbawe: 9:33am On Jun 11, 2013
jejet: @Gbawe,

He is not right and you are confusing two separate issues. If you say there is a good argument for naming this "Opon Imo" ,for uniformity, instead of "Ajumo mo" , then I agree and have already said so earlier.

Yeah, you're right. Keeping the name uniform would have been best for many reasons. Good initiative though.

It still has to be said that anyone who says Ajumo mo is named after Ajimobi is flat wrong.

1 Like

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Gbawe: 9:42am On Jun 11, 2013
HNosegbe: What I'm not clear on is whether the teachers have been trained on the use of these tablets.

I mean, if it's a "learning tablet", someone's gotta do the teaching, right? undecided

Tablets are one of the most intuitive things anyone can use. Give even a 3 year old child one and they will be a dab hand with it in one week. We are actually talking of secondary school children who, presumably, can read and write. This is relevant because the tablet willl feature an onboard manual and help/troubleshooting menu.

They will be up to speed with these tools in even a day or two. This is why it is essential for them to have this tablet and gain practical awareness of the UI (user interface) of this important technology as soon as possible because it is effectively now a mainstay of technology.
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Nobody: 9:49am On Jun 11, 2013
VALIDATOR:

What FG did is completely different. They equipped a few school's ICT centers with computers and tablets. The states are giving out textbooks (in form of tablets) to all students. Putting a few books in the library is different from giving books to all students to take home.

Its all about providing books for student to use
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Nobody: 9:49am On Jun 11, 2013
Eko Atlantic:

Can you provide any credible source to back that highlighted claim of yours?

Whoever is in doubt should visit Methodist Grammar school, bodija and some other schools like that in Oyo state.
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by walata2011(m): 9:50am On Jun 11, 2013
This new innovation worths commendation. It brings educational reading materials closer to the students.
I remember during our days when we used to exchange textbooks for reading since we can't afford to buy all the textbooks.
This new innovation will bring out the best from students and also reduce rate of exam malpractice, since they will be better prepared.

1 Like

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Nobody: 9:52am On Jun 11, 2013
ShyM-X:

I don't think they need to do any "teaching" per se - they just need to show the students how to navigate the device(probably for a day or two). And with computing devices; once you use it regularly, you should be able to navigate everything on your own. It's more of a comprehensive e-book.

Topic:

I think this is a good initiative. And they overall cost would be way cheaper than buying hard-cover textbooks. Also, it depends on the memory of the tablets. Impressive.

Indeed. One of the great things about technology is that it encourages enquiry, investigation and independence.

Educational researcher Dr. Sugata Mitra’s “Hole in the Wall” experiments have shown that, in the absence of supervision or formal teaching, children can teach themselves and each other, if they’re motivated by curiosity and peer interest. In 1999, Mitra and his colleagues dug a hole in a wall bordering an urban slum in New Delhi, installed an Internet-connected PC, and left it there (with a hidden camera filming the area). What they saw was kids from the slum playing around with the computer and in the process learning how to use it and how to go online, and then teaching each other.

The "Hole in the Wall" project demonstrates that, even in the absence of any direct input from a teacher, an environment that stimulates curiosity can cause learning through self-instruction and peer-shared knowledge. Mitra, who's now a professor of educational technology at Newcastle University (UK), calls it "minimally invasive education."
At TED2013, Sugata Mitra made a bold TED Prize wish: Help me build a place where children can explore and learn on their own -- and teach one another -- using resouces from the worldwide cloud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-5UlM5zln0
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Administrator: 9:56am On Jun 11, 2013
This should start from SSS1 and not JSS for now.
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by baby124: 9:59am On Jun 11, 2013
Abeg, who is supplying these tablets? Which brand? Some people are making millions, you are talking nonsense. grin

2 Likes

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by yetunsbay(m): 9:59am On Jun 11, 2013
[b][/b]
django1:

http://whatsupibadan.com/

Great move Ajimobi, let's get Oyo going.
A commendable move bt GAME cry
django1:

http://whatsupibadan.com/

Great move Ajimobi, let's get Oyo going.
A commendable move bt GAME ...no no no
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by jotti: 10:00am On Jun 11, 2013
Its a good idea ooo! My question is...1.will it be giving to students for free?if no then will it be something the students can afford? 2.if it is stolen,will government give u anoda 1? 3.they say it has games in it.one can easily pretend to be studying but actually playing game even while in class.its a matter of removing the game sound. 4.if the screen or any other part of the tablet is bad,will government repair it?cos we all know that cost of maintenance is high. Even if government is to repair it,am sure its going to take a long process which might take up to a term or 2.what will that student use while waiting?5.am sure the textbooks are offline books so they don't need internet connection,but i can see it has internet connection mayb its for further research.is it free connectivity or the students are to subscribe themselves?6. With that students can be browsing while lectures are going on or even watching or downloading video, listening to music e.t.c and personally i feel the meaning of ajumo 'mo does not mean learning together in this context but ajumobi mobile just made it short in a way it has two meanings so that it will be acceptable by the public.oooh another question! Will be the governor forever?its easy to start something but keeping it up is the task.so he wants to start something that along the line might be hard 4 the next person to continue and people will call him the bad guy while ajumobi?the saviour,the good one
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Dawdy(m): 10:01am On Jun 11, 2013
Osun state is now the father whose steps are being followed by the others. Gone are the days of ''Ajise bi oyo laa ri oyo kii se bi baba eni kookan'' now (Ajise bi osun laa ri osun kii se egbe baba won) kudos to Ogbeni Aregbe.
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by DuduNegro: 10:02am On Jun 11, 2013
jibsai:

All I kno is we are in a federal republic where 36states make up d federation, why on earth will u insist states must be uniformed? Ofcos there will be a guildline, a format to follow...dats why it 6-3_3-4 format of education nationwide, that's y certain number of textbooks are recommended, that's y syllabus are given out. Now osun came out with "opon imo" for her STUDENTS, they designed it d way dey felt best suits dem nd there kids, why must oyo do dat? Is it a must? I say NO, I disagree with d idea dat dey most be uniformed. Laws of d 2 states differs, yes same party, good ideas but telln me oyo have to call it opon imo too is out of it. This is not a regional govt, it is 2 individual states wit a Govt dat can change in terms of policy, work rate nd continuity anytime...remember PDP's akala nd oyin agreed to split lautech, ACN's ajimobi nd aragbe have reversed dat...so if it were a joint project den there will b a law enforcing dat it does not break! ThankS

If you notice, i repeatedly mentioned DAWN. This is because the governors themselves voluntarily sponsored that platform as a regional front going forward. I am only being patriotic by demanding that they deliver on what was promised. It is a good interface for learning and there's no need to give it six brand names in each of the six governing states in DAWN partnership. The agenda is there for guidance, why deviate from it because Nigerian constitutiin says you can.
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Honey74(f): 10:03am On Jun 11, 2013
what is dis 'copy copy' that dese governors r doing? Can't he come up with an idea on his own? must he do because someone else has done. *looooooooonnnnnngggggg hiiiiissssssssssssssssssssss*
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by DuduNegro: 10:05am On Jun 11, 2013
Dawdy: Osun state is now the father whose steps are being followed by the others. Gone are the days of ''Ajise bi oyo laa ri oyo kii se bi baba eni kookan'' now (Ajise bi osun laa ri osun kii se egbe baba won) kudos to Ogbeni Aregbe.

I dont think anyone state has monopoly on social innovations and breakthroughs. Osun may have to follow behind another on some other project. The focus should be on regional cooperation but national competition.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Radio Biafra Is Gaining Relevant Sahara Reporters / It Is Insanity For Anybody To Wish Buhari To Continue Beyond 2019 - Igbo Youths / PDP Youths Describe Buhari's Reelection Bid As "Dead On Arrival"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.