Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,654 members, 7,889,125 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 11:53 PM

Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches (6705 Views)

Pics From Aba Township Marathon / Photo Of Warri Township Stadium After Heavy Downpour / Akwa Ibom Stadium, Nominated As World Stadium Of The Year (Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Etumgbe(m): 5:04pm On Jun 11, 2013
The Uyo Township Stadium has been banned from playing host to any Glo Premier League matches, supersport.com can report.

The League Management Company, LMC, has put the stadium in Uyo under ban for the rest of the season.

The development means Akwa United will now play their home matches at the Rojenny Stadium in Oba near Onitsha.

The Uyo Township Stadium was banned following the alleged assault on centre referee, Henry Ogunyamodi on 5 June by unidentified fans during the Akwa United and Warri Wolves game.

The match was abandoned after the first half when the referee refused to continue officiating on the grounds that he had been attacked by some fans in the dressing room.

As at the time of abandonment Akwa United were leading 2-0 through goals from Ubong Ekpai and Emmanuel Enize.

Akwa United will also lose three points and three goals to Warri Wolves.

LMC has also directed Akwa United to pay the referee and foot the bill for the pitch panels destroyed during the game.

“We need to send a strong signal. They will also compensate each of the assaulted refs with N200,000 and pay for the cost of advert and branding materials destroyed by their fans. Other sanctions might be imposed after full investigation,” said the LMC chief operating officer, Salihu Abubakar to supersport.com.

It is understood that Akwa United will appeal the sanctions at the Organising and Disciplinary Committee of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).

Another NPFL club, Lobi Stars were also at the wrong end of the LMC’s stick.

The Makurdi club will play their next eight home matches behind closed doors after their fans allegedly attacked centre referee, Audu Ahmed Ibrahim on 8 May when Lobi played out a 0-0 draw against Enyimba in Katsina-Ala.

Supersport.com was informed that the case of Lobi Stars is currently with the disciplinary committee of the NFF for final pronouncement.

“Their case is before the NFF disciplinary committee. We just took a preliminary decision to ask them to play eight games behind closed doors,” said Abubakar.

Supersport.com
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 12, 2013
UYO ? IS THAT CALABAR ?
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by goingsolo: 3:35pm On Jun 12, 2013
MALAWI 2 KENYA 2 FINAL RESULT IN BLANTYRE, NIGERIA ONLY NEED A WIN TO GO THROUGH TO THE KNOCK OUT STAGE. GOD BLESS NIGERIA.
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by SamConquer(m): 3:36pm On Jun 12, 2013
#Cross Leg and Puffing My Expensive Cuban Cigar#
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jun 12, 2013
Nice one.
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Kings77: 3:38pm On Jun 12, 2013
Toooo bad for Awka United.
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by paskido: 3:39pm On Jun 12, 2013
Nigerian league nawaooh, anyway 1st Pg tinx.
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Uwakuwak(f): 3:40pm On Jun 12, 2013
Is it the state government that will pay the fine or the club? Well, it is a lesson to learn.
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by eyenCalabar(m): 3:44pm On Jun 12, 2013
obadiah777: UYO ? IS THAT CALABAR ?

Mr. Capital Letter, does the name, Uyo sounds like Calabar?

1 Like

Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Uwakuwak(f): 3:48pm On Jun 12, 2013
They no try
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jun 12, 2013
eyenCalabar:

Mr. Capital Letter, does the name, Uyo sounds like Calabar?
IT DOES SIRE undecided
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Afam4eva(m): 3:56pm On Jun 12, 2013
Was it not the same Akwa United that beat Calabar rovers 14-0 in a match some years back just because they needed 13 goals to escape relegation and it happened. This team is always identified with fraud. I think stiffer penalties should ne put in place to punish erring clubs. But i don't support the 3 points being given to Warri wolves because they did not win the match.
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Uglyduckling: 4:00pm On Jun 12, 2013
Seriously
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by dioman: 4:03pm On Jun 12, 2013
NIGERIAN FOOTBALL, HOW CAN A FAN ATTACK THE REFEREE WHEN THE HOME TEAM WAS LEADING COMFORTABLY...THE REFEREE INTENTION WAS TO FAVOUR WARRI WOVES COS HE WAS BRIBED, WHEN THINGS PLAYED AGAINST, HE ABANDON THE MATCH ON THE GROUND OF ASSAULT.

WETIN FAN GO FIND INSIDE DRESSING ROOM...HIS PLAN FINALLY WORKED.

WELDONE REFEREE.

1 Like

Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jun 12, 2013
Ugly duckling: Seriously
WELL ARE YOU GOING TO TELL ME WHAT STATE UYO IS IN ? tongue

1 Like

Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by bong4(m): 4:08pm On Jun 12, 2013
i watched a clip of the assault on the referee and i must say that the penalty meted to Akwa United was too lenient. They should have been banished to play in Abuja, 10 points should have been deducted from them and then made to pay for damages. This would have served as a deterent to other clubs. Beating up match officials just over a game of football is babaric.

1 Like

Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Inik(m): 4:08pm On Jun 12, 2013
Uyo is different from Calabar. Uyo is the capital city of Akwa ibom state while Calabar is the capital of Cross river state. However Akwa ibom state used to be a part of cross river state until it was seperated from cross river and created as a new state by ex-military president Babangida on 23rd september 1987.

You owe me 20$ for the information smiley

3 Likes

Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by MostIncredibleDFirst: 4:12pm On Jun 12, 2013
Mr. Obadiah, u're embarrassing urself here as a crappy dumb dunce!

1 Like

Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by dioman: 4:13pm On Jun 12, 2013
bong4: i watched a clip of the assault on the referee and i must say that the penalty meted to Akwa United was too lenient. They should have been banished to play in Abuja, 10 points should have been deducted from them and then made to pay for damages. This would have served as a deterent to other clubs. Beating up match officials just over a game of football is babaric.

Post the clip for urs to watch. Tnx
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Keneeby(m): 4:16pm On Jun 12, 2013
I'm disappointed by the actions of NPL officials. Akwa United was leading 2:0 goals. Hw can a team dat is leading attack d referee in a dressing room? Wat wil carry fan go dressing room? Dis is robbery of justice.
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Inik(m): 4:21pm On Jun 12, 2013
This whole issue looks like a setup to me. Akwa united was leading warri wolves with two goals at half time when this incidence occurred. According to a journalist friend who was in the dressing room "a fan" threw a satchet of pure water at the referee. It was nothing serious so it was surprising that the referee refused to restart the game despite the pleadings of Akwa united officials.
There are indications that the fan was hired by warri wolves to "attack" the referee and that the referee was acting according to the predetermined arrangement he had with warri wolves to disrupt the game so as to award boardroom points to Warri wolves. The Nigerian league is a big mess.

1 Like

Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Afam4eva(m): 4:24pm On Jun 12, 2013
Inik: This whole issue looks like a setup to me. Akwa united was leading warri wolves with two goals at half time when this incidence occurred. According to a journalist friend who was in the dressing room "a fan" threw a satchet of pure water at the referee. It was nothing serious so it was surprising that the referee refused to restart the game despite the pleadings of Akwa united officials.
There are indications that the fan was hired by warri wolves to "attack" the referee and that the referee was acting according to the predetermined arrangement he had with warri wolves to disrupt the game so as to award boardroom points to Warri wolves. The Nigerian league is a big mess.
NPFL must have done ttheir investigations before coming up with a decision. One of the goals that Akwa even scored was scored with the hand.
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Uglyduckling: 4:38pm On Jun 12, 2013
obadiah777: WELL ARE YOU GOING TO TELL ME WHAT STATE UYO IS IN ? tongue
last time I checked, nairaland was only accesed via the internet which could still be used to access google,bing, yahoo, wikipedia and all other search engines. Kind stop embarassing yourself, thank you! PS: typing in capital letters is supposed to indicate that you are shouting, are you?

2 Likes

Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by MostIncredibleDFirst: 4:41pm On Jun 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
NPFL must have done ttheir investigations before coming up with a decision. One of the goals that Akwa even scored was scored with the hand.
Most of ur posts on nairaland are always based on rumor mongering and/or prejudiced assumptions. U dont also sound as an educated!

1 Like

Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jun 12, 2013
Inik:
Uyo is different from Calabar. Uyo is the capital city of Akwa ibom state while Calabar is the capital of Cross river state. However Akwa ibom state used to be a part of cross river state until it was seperated from cross river and created as a new state by ex-military president Babangida on 21st september 1987.

You owe me 20$ for the information smiley
I APPRECIATE YOU BRUV. I DEFINITELY OWE YOU wink grin

1 Like

Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jun 12, 2013

When you have learnt the 36states and their capital by heart, you won't need a map to find which state Uyo is.
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jun 12, 2013

When you have learnt the 36states and their capitals by heart, you won't need a map to find which state Uyo is in.

1 Like

Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by bong4(m): 4:57pm On Jun 12, 2013
dioman:

Post the clip for urs to watch. Tnx

Sorry bro i wish i could but it was showed during news time on AIT last night.
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jun 12, 2013
Bertadayz:

When you have learnt the 36states and their capital by heart, you won't need a map to find which state Uyo is.
WHY I GOTTA DO ALL DAT ? WHY YALL CANT TELL ME IN HERE TO PREVENT ME FROM CRAMMING DOWN 36 STATES ? SMDH undecided
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by Ibangap(m): 5:19pm On Jun 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
So who's fault is it if a goal was scored by hand and d ref allowed it to stand?.... The fans?
Re: Uyo Township Stadium Banned From Hosting Matches by searay(m): 5:51pm On Jun 12, 2013
"As at the time of Abandonement, Akwa United were leading 2-0..."
Is something not fishy here? What would have provoke a fan to attack the referee when his team is leading by a 2 goals margin at the end of the 1st half?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Bundesliga games, German football suspended / Do 1xbet Pay In Dollars / 2odds Daily Proffesor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.