Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,412 members, 7,964,697 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 06:13 PM

Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country (6986 Views)

Nigeria Now The 12th Least Peaceful Country In The World-global Peace Index / Nigeria Is The 5th Least Peaceful Country In The Africa / Nigeria Listed: No.5 Least Peaceful Nations In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by jmoore(m): 1:03pm On Jun 16, 2013
Another unbalanced research. Where is USA the nation of guns?
Ndiara researchers!
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by ikenga67: 1:24pm On Jun 16, 2013
njokusboy:

The united states is 20 times larger than Nigeria, alaska alone is almost twice as large as this country. If 12996 murders were commited in the usa (assuming you are even right) and 3600 were murdered in naija (of course we both know it is larger than dat, dis is just an estimate) then the united states is still ten times more secure than naija.

The United States is a huge country, but it is not 20 times the size of Nigeria. And as others have pointed out, in comparing this kind of statistics, what matters more is population and not size. Population wise, at least going by Nigeria's official numbers, Nigeria is about a little more than half the population of the US.
However the person that started the comparison of the murder rate of the US and Nigeria was being either dubious or woefully ignorant. The US figure quoted is the total number of murders. In the US there is still a culture that considers human life sacred and a law enforcement mechanism that still functions. So they count every death there and keep an accurate tab of murders. Yes, the US murder rate is too high by civilized standards as a result of a culture that celebrates violence and gun ownership. However it is possible that the Nigerian murder rate is higher than the US in both absolute and per capita terms. The statistic someone quoted here was the number of murders attributed to just one terrorist organization. How many have been killed by the other violent militia and vigilante groups? How many have been killed by hit and run drivers? How many have been killed by erstwhile business associates who felt cheated in a business deal? How many have been poisoned by friend and foe alike? How many have been killed at "hospitals" by reckless doctors? How many have been murdered by SARS, the JTF, and other "security agencies" scattered over the Nigerian landscape?
I think the comparison is misplaced - totally apple and oranges. It flows from the mindset that argues from watching CNN and reading the statistics of the prison population in the US that there is more crime in the US than in Nigeria. But if people go to jail in Nigeria for just a fraction of what people get put in jail for in the US, more than half the population of Nigeria would be in jail!

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by ojimbo(m): 1:26pm On Jun 16, 2013
everyday: GEJ should step up to guarantee security to its citizens and also foreign investors
the security of this country is in our hand not the president
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by druid06(m): 1:26pm On Jun 16, 2013
ikenga67:

The United States is a huge country, but it is not 20 times the size of Nigeria. And as others have pointed out, in comparing this kind of statistics, what matters more is population and not size. Population wise, at least going by Nigeria's official numbers, Nigeria is about a little more than half the population of the US.
However the person that started the comparison of the murder rate of the US and Nigeria was being either dubious or woefully ignorant. The US figure quoted is the total number of murders. In the US there is still a culture that considers human life sacred and a law enforcement mechanism that still functions. So they count every death there and keep an accurate tab of murders. Yes, the US murder rate is too high by civilized standards as a result of a culture that celebrates violence and gun ownership. However it is possible that the Nigerian murder rate is higher than the US in both absolute and per capita terms. The statistic someone quoted here was the number of murders attributed to just one terrorist organization. How many have been killed by the other violent militia and vigilante groups? How many have been killed by hit and run drivers? How many have been killed by erstwhile business associates who felt cheated in a business deal? How many have been poisoned by friend and foe alike? How many have been killed at "hospitals" by reckless doctors? How many have been murdered by SARS, the JTF, and other "security agencies" scattered over the Nigerian landscape?
I think the comparison is misplaced - totally apple and oranges. It flows from the mindset that argues from watching CNN and reading the statistics of the prison population in the US that there is more crime in the US than in Nigeria. But if people go to jail in Nigeria for just a fraction of what people get put in jail for in the US, more than half the population of Nigeria would be in jail!

You couldn't have said it better. Nice one!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by ojimbo(m): 1:28pm On Jun 16, 2013
Lifebender: Jonathan....... shockedcheesy:*
Buhari
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by ikenga67: 1:29pm On Jun 16, 2013
jmoore: Another unbalanced research. Where is USA the nation of guns?
Ndiara researchers!
My dear, the US may be the nations of guns, but you can drive all night from NY to Florida and all you have to worry about is getting speeding ticket from the ubiquitous Police cruisers. Try driving from even Lagos to Ijebu Ode or Enugu to Awka at midnight! We should not always be so defensive when faced with statistics that paint a not so rosy picture of us

1 Like

Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by AroOkigbo(m): 1:34pm On Jun 16, 2013
Otono2: All thanx 2 d religion of....... U can fill in d gap if u know d answer?
I know the answer. It will be considered "offensive" by the Mod.
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by ikenga67: 1:36pm On Jun 16, 2013
mu2sa2: Peace is a state of mind. You can live in a place and feel peaceful inspite of what's happening around you. For example somebody in maiduguri may feel it's more peaceful than say port harcourt or onitsha, because he would rather live with jtf/boko haram violence in Maiduguri than perpetually engage in hide and seek with armed robbers, ritual killers and kidnappers in port harcourt or onitsha.

I get your drift, but no, the "peace" that is being talked about here is not a state of mind. It is an objective measurement of social and demographic phenomena. I have to agree with you that the southern cities you mentioned are far from peaceful, but Maiduguri is fast becoming a no-man's land.
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jun 16, 2013
sambos994:

Yet the population is twice that of Nigeria's. It doesn't matter about the area.

Even at that, the 3600 is only the estimated number of people murdered by bokoharam, those killed in the post election violence,those killed by fulani herdsmen, civilian collateral damages by the army, those shot by armed robbers, the cultists killed and the others were not even included, if u add all of them am quite sure the figure would double and the figure u quoted for the united states is fictitious. It might be the amount of pple that died in plane crashes or road accidents, am quite sure its not the number of people that were murdered. Show me a link dat proves ur figure and how they were killed.
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by Frostyzone(m): 1:49pm On Jun 16, 2013
All hail the religion of peace!
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by Ilaje44(m): 1:49pm On Jun 16, 2013
ebucha: All thanks to religion of peace!

No, not really. If you read and understood the article, you would not hastily blame the religion of peace. Nigeria is a very lawless country, and this is largely responsible for the instability we are experiencing everywhere now.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 16, 2013
druid06:

You couldn't have said it better. Nice one!

My point exactly. But the usa is almost 20 times larger than naija actually, alaska is almost twice naija nd they have 50 states. Texas, alaska and california alone are atleats 5 times larger than naija, could be more. Verify
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by Frostyzone(m): 1:54pm On Jun 16, 2013
Ilaje44:

No, not really. If you read and understood the article, you would not hastily blame the religion of peace. Nigeria is a very lawless country, and this is largely responsible for the instability we are experiencing everywhere now.

Take a look at the top 11 and tell me what they all have in common.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jun 16, 2013
ikenga67:

Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by ifebosco: 1:59pm On Jun 16, 2013
druid06: Nigerians with our nonchalant attitude of leaving every problem to GOD or a supreme being to solve our problems. GOD won't come down from heaven to fight our battles, we need to end this incessant corruption evading this country and eating through us like a cancerous virus. We need to take matters into our hands and bring the yardstick between the rich and the poor closer. The bitter truth is that without a revolution and an uprising, we're forever going to remain the way we are even worse in the proceeding years to come. We should learn from great contries before us like the U.S with their civil war, France with their revolution. Food for thoughts
who will bell the cat?
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by Mustay(m): 2:04pm On Jun 16, 2013
Frostyzone:

Take a look at the top 11 and tell me what they all have in common.

Perhaps, you should take a closer look at the map:

What does Nigeria and SA have in common

US, Britain, Australia?

Russia, North Korea and those 11 countries
?

Statistics!!! tongue
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by Mutab4u(m): 2:10pm On Jun 16, 2013
saheedsa: Wot I knw is that nigeria Nigeria was never like dis before and there is still hope for nigeria..... As for those pointing accusing fingers at religion, then I put it to u that if our country is economically bouyant and security capable, there will be minimal terrorism!!! Nigeria will be a better place someday! Dont be a persimist cus u will never be positive wif. Ur thought
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by GHSwagg: 2:32pm On Jun 16, 2013
Mustay:

US, Britain, Australia?

?

Statistics!!! tongue

God bless mother GHANA, and let peace continue to reign! smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by Frostyzone(m): 2:33pm On Jun 16, 2013
Mustay:

US, Britain, Australia?

?

Statistics!!! tongue

I'm not here to engage in a blind argument with you. If you take a closer look at the map you brought up, you will notice that more than three-quater of the Islamic government and communist government are painted in red, to mark unstable areas. Those ones that are painted in red but with none of those governments in control are usually third world countries.

Then take another look at the map and look at the areas in blue and yellow. Those are the west which are predominantly Christian, atheist and with democratic system of government.

That's the difference.
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by Mustay(m): 2:40pm On Jun 16, 2013
Frostyzone:

I'm not here to engage in a blind argument with you. If you take a closer look at the map you brought up, you will notice that more than three-quater of the Islamic government and communist government are painted in red, to mark unstable areas. Those ones that are painted in red but with none of those governments in control are usually third world countries.

Then take another look at the map and look at the areas in blue and yellow. Those are the west which are predominantly Christian, atheist and with democratic system of government.

That's the difference.

Wow, I already knew where you were headed. No. need for the explanation. I can't change your mindset as you have every right to your opinion and conclusions.

You can decide to short-circuit and zoom in on what to you is the causal factor but I choose to look at the wider picture.

Thank you.
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by Godogwu: 2:46pm On Jun 16, 2013
njokusboy:

The united states is 20 times larger than Nigeria, alaska alone is almost twice as large as this country. If 12996 murders were commited in the usa (assuming you are even right) and 3600 were murdered in naija (of course we both know it is larger than dat, dis is just an estimate) then the united states is still ten times more secure than naija.

I'm not going to say Nigeria is more secure than the US, nahh not atall but in terms of deaths related to gun violence, homicide and all that, the US has recorded way more deaths than Nigeria.
Here's a source http://smartgunlaws.org/gun-deaths-and-injuries-statistics/

The US is just a little over twice the size of Nigeria in population and taking that into consideration 12,000 is still quite a lot.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by ikenga67: 3:13pm On Jun 16, 2013
Godogwu:

I'm not going to say Nigeria is more secure than the US, nahh not atall but in terms of deaths related to gun violence, homicide and all that, the US has recorded way more deaths than Nigeria.

The US is just a little over twice the size of Nigeria in population and taking that into consideration 12,000 is still quite a lot.

I am glad you use the operative word "recorded" in your statement. At least they keep record of the murders in their country which I think is still way too high and shameful for such a developed country. But go ask SARS at Ikeja and Adeniji Adele and Awkuzu in Anambra State and all the other states of the "record" of those they sent on "travel. Go to Defense Headquarters and get me the "record" of those eliminated by the various taskforces of the armed forces.
The only reason the US has recorded way more deaths than Nigeria is that the law mandates such record-keeping and there, the law is still the boss and is followed. Can you say that for Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jun 16, 2013
Godogwu:

U see, u have ended the argument yourself, 12000 murders were recorded in the us, assuming this figure is correct, these are random murders in the united states which were actually recorded, the figure for naija represents only the number murdered by bokoharam which was only estimated because of the publicity it invariably generated. 90% of the murders in naija are not even recorded, they are either swept under the carpet or even left uninvestigated, on dat basis alone, am quite convinced the murders in the states "even though they have a larger population than naija", is not higher than those in dis country, both the recorded and unrecorded.
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jun 16, 2013
Godogwu:

U see, u have ended the argument yourself, 12000 murders were recorded in the us, assuming this figure is correct, these are random murders in the united states which were actually recorded, the figure for naija represents only the number murdered by bokoharam which was only estimated because of the publicity it invariably generated. 90% of the murders in naija are not even recorded, they are either swept under the carpet or even left uninvestigated, on dat basis alone, am quite convinced the murders in the states "even though they have a larger population than naija", is not higher than those in dis country, both the recorded and unrecorded.
Hope u grab??
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by FILEBE(m): 4:26pm On Jun 16, 2013
They make it sound like missiles and fighter jets fly over Nigeria's airspace everyday. Even America's wild wild west was far worse than Nigeria' presently.
This people just watch CNN and then make Statitics.
U for come my Area see our Kamoru and co dey throw party every weekend.
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by maclatunji: 5:09pm On Jun 16, 2013
GEJ is doing wonders. Nigeria is more peaceful than Somalia, let us celebrate this uncommon transformation.
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by Skmoda360(m): 5:52pm On Jun 16, 2013
Tired of reading this menace story.
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by Iykeponti(m): 7:13pm On Jun 16, 2013
Two nigerians stabbed to Death by 2nigerian ocult group...in Athens, Greece. All man dey indoor now because of police wahala , whats wrong with we nigerians? I want u guys over there to look into d matter, Nigerian embassy here is aware of d matter... We want those guys exposed both home & abroad wtf!!!
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by FelixL(m): 12:23am On Jun 17, 2013
Anybody knows Harald Eia? Funny guy (with language) and an excellent video about violence. Google Brainwash (4/7) - Violence and enjoy.
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by druid06(m): 12:39am On Jun 17, 2013
ifebosco: who will bell the cat?

Unfortunately, the catalyst for a revolution in Nigeria are the prominent members of our society and this same persons are top politician and influencial people in the society who are already being corrupt and enjoying the ''Nigerian National cake''. They are supposed to constantly challenge the government about it's rogue policies and if the government doesn't agree, they're the one that is supposed to create an opposition and an uprising then the masses would follow suit. Such an example of influencing people gone rogue is Asari Dokunbo and the rest of the Niger Delta militant bullshit. A revolution in Nigeria is highly impossible if this influencials don't get their acts together and get their heads out of their as-ses.
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by toffinc: 7:24am On Jun 17, 2013
How to avoid all kind of terrorism? In my opinion, the most urgent for government is to develop economic and improve level of civic life.
If everybody got food and respect, Boko haram would not find any support in the country.
However, We can't deny it is government who cause all this problem.
Re: Nigeria 14th Least Peaceful Country by Revolva(m): 2:28pm On Jun 17, 2013
we support the fact...true true

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The True Story Of Alleged IPOB Members Shot Dead / Nigerians In Total Shock As Buhari’s Secret Letters To Judges Leak / My Hands Are Off The Biafran Struggle.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.