Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,797 members, 7,889,603 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 04:19 PM

CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? (19724 Views)

Untold Secrets Of How Smart People Improve Their Cvs And Personalities: A Case.. / Struggling With Cover Letters? Let's Crack It Here. / Cover Letters - How "Blunt" Should You Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Shinor(m): 10:56am On Jun 17, 2013
[b]I have come across a great number of CV's in the course of my work and my reaction sometimes after perusing some copies has been " What on earth is this'? I wonder what was going through the candidate's mind as they put together that CV. Many are yet to understand the traditional role of a CV. It is simply the primary document a would be employer or agency consults to assess your eligibility for a position. The employer reads through your work and education history for any experience or skills that you may possess which will help you perform your role and then makes a decision whether to call your for an interview or not.
Unfortunately if there are question marks in any area of your CV, the decision is made without giving you an opportunity to explain. In other words you are judged based on what your CV said.
Therefore it is imperative to ensure that your CV is always saying the right things about you.
For more details on what should be on a CV, read my next article on CV's to be published subsequently.
http://saotheemploymentcoach..co.uk/2013/06/cvs-speak-is-yours-speaking-for-you.html[/b]
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by clily: 5:30pm On Jun 17, 2013
Please can u send a copy of a cv format 4 me so I can edit mine..tnx, dis Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣ email address-

1 Like

Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Shinor(m): 6:39pm On Jun 17, 2013
I have sent you a few samples.
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by FKMagazine(m): 9:17pm On Jun 17, 2013
pls I need a copy...pls send it to ultiliberty@gmail.com
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Shinor(m): 10:11pm On Jun 17, 2013
FKMagazine Check your mailbox.
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by cfranky: 11:42pm On Jun 17, 2013
I also need a copy. Thanks. charlesfrank40@yahoo.com
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Tobbiedammie: 11:48pm On Jun 17, 2013
Kindly send ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ a copy too.♍Ɣ email-jokeajalaza@yahoo.co.uk
Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣king Ʊ in anticipation
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by moneyhungry(m): 6:47am On Jun 18, 2013
sir, please send a copy to dicepiano@gmail.com
it's urgent.
thanks.
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Nobody: 9:15am On Jun 18, 2013
pls kindly send me some samples my email is mahyoureal@gmail.com
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by johnfca(m): 9:46am On Jun 18, 2013
please kindly send me sample(s)....clap4john@gmail.com....Thanks
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Ijeawele(m): 10:13am On Jun 18, 2013
Pls kidly send me some samples. My email is manuel4luv39@yahoo.com
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Shinor(m): 10:35am On Jun 18, 2013
It's been sent. Regards.
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by johnfca(m): 11:13am On Jun 18, 2013
Thanks a lot, it's been sent
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by rubi96(f): 1:49pm On Jun 18, 2013
Kindly send to me whyteruby96@gmail.com thanks
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by moneyhungry(m): 1:59pm On Jun 18, 2013
thanks man. got it.
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by SaintChukz(m): 3:02pm On Jun 18, 2013
Hi..Mr Shinor Please, could you help to send me a few of your CV samples...my mail : louchuks at gmail dot com. I have decided to write it in full for sake of unscrupulous elements. Thanks
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Shinor(m): 3:37pm On Jun 18, 2013
Done.
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by greatgeo(m): 4:13pm On Jun 18, 2013
send me a copy pls nathetelgeo@yahoo.com
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by rubi96(f): 4:47pm On Jun 18, 2013
Thank you Mr Shinor, I've received it
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by teejanjan: 6:35pm On Jun 18, 2013
I need it to sir,tunji86@gmail.com.God bless
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by tinnymerit(m): 6:39am On Jun 19, 2013
tinnymerit@yahoo.com,you can also add cover letters.Thanks in advance.
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by omaojo1: 7:20am On Jun 19, 2013
Pls send to oomaojo@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance.
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Mzdemmie(f): 7:40am On Jun 19, 2013
Pls send to me..abidemieludire@yahoo.com,thank you
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Shinor(m): 9:18am On Jun 19, 2013
10 things you should have in your CV

Contact details
It’s important to provide a range of contact options including your home address, your main phone number and your email address to make it easy for employers to get in touch with you.
Employment history
Make sure to include the jobs that are relevant to the position you are applying for. If you haven't had much relevant experience, however, you may want to include your whole work history.
Education and qualifications
Your education and qualifications may not be directly related to the job you are applying for, but they’re still important achievements that any employer will want to see.
Skills and strengths
Emphasising your skills and strengths is vital when building a CV. A strength is something you’re naturally good at. A skill is something you acquire with education and experience. Make sure to demonstrate how your skills and strengths will help you to do well in the job.
Your personality
Your CV should follow a fairly standard format and the interview is where your personality is really important, but you can still stand out from the crowd with the language you use. Check out Clever Word Play for more ideas.
A prioritised layout
The way you layout your CV will depend on your age and work experience level. The My CV tool allows you to choose between a work-focused or education-focused template. If you have don’t have much work experience or you’re looking for a career change, you should place your skills and strengths section before employment and education.
A good simple format
Unless you’re going for a highly creative job, getting too fancy with fonts and borders will only take the focus from the important information in your CV.
Good spelling and punctuation
There’s no room for poor spelling and punctuation in either your cover letter or your CV. Keep sentences short to avoid confused punctuation and, if you can, give it to a friend to check it over. Spell check should be the very last thing you do before sending it off.
References available on request
You don’t have to include references in your CV and leaving them out will save you space, but make sure to state at the end of your CV that they are available on request.
A cover letter
Most employers will expect a cover letter with your CV. It gives you a chance to get across your personality, ambition and to explain any gaps in your CV. Check out our Cover letter guide following shortly
For a sample of a CV click http://saotheemploymentcoach..co.uk/2013/06/your-cv-is-meant-to-do-one-thing-get.html
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by news4akin: 10:13am On Jun 19, 2013
Kindly send some samples to my box. My email is news4akin@yahoo.com.
Thanks.
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by EmmyDe25(m): 11:49am On Jun 19, 2013
Uncle shinor, please i need some samples too... adeolamanuel@gmail.com. tankx in anticipation.
Meanwhile, i'll like to ask if its that important to list the primary and the secondary school one attended while drafting out. his CV? Submitted a couple of my cv without including those.
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Shinor(m): 12:52pm On Jun 19, 2013
EmmyDe25: Uncle shinor, please i need some samples too... adeolamanuel@gmail.com. tankx in anticipation.
Meanwhile, i'll like to ask if its that important to list the primary and the secondary school one attended while drafting out. his CV? Submitted a couple of my cv without including those.

You don't have to quote primary school. Secondary school? Yes especially if you are a recent graduate.
Will send a couple.
@ News4Akin. Ditto
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Phlota(f): 2:15pm On Jun 19, 2013
Please send me samples too. dafloata@yahoo.co. Thanks
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Leon90(m): 10:51pm On Jun 21, 2013
Kindly send me a sample, pls.
Leonvictor90@gmail.com
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Oilwealth: 11:49pm On Jun 21, 2013
For more info visit: Totaloilwealth.com
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Nobody: 9:30am On Jun 22, 2013
I wud appre8 if u can send me both.cover letter format and d CV.nicenikky4real@yahoo.com thanks
Re: CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? by Nobody: 11:12am On Jun 22, 2013
@Shinor, you did a nice work here. Keep it up. Pls, can you send me a sample of CV to guide me build mine: write2lujan@yahoo.com. Tnx in anticipation.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Michele Ekure Receives AIT Staff From ICT Department / What A Man Can Do A Woman Can Also Do (photos) / Meet Olayemi Samson, Nigerian Enterpreneur Making Fashion Out Of Trash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.