Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,782 members, 7,965,931 topics. Date: Friday, 04 October 2024 at 04:39 AM

Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? (2016 Views)

Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? / Why Are Nigerians So Judgemental / Why Are Nigerians Obsess With Marriage Sef? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by coolier(f): 1:49pm On May 11, 2008
I don't understand why people cannot come out honestly to answer a simple question. And these people are precisely Nigerians.

Let's start with one's Date of Birth. I suppose everybody has one. So what's the big deal then in saying this if asked. You ask someone for his DOB, he says N/A. You ask someone for his age, he/she comes up with this ambiguous answer: "am over 20, 30, or 40" or it's "am nearer 40 to 30". Is that your age?.

You ask a Nigerian how many children she's got and the answer is "wọn kii ika ọmọ fun ọlọmọ" meaning you do not count other peoples children, or they tell you "I am blessed with both boys and girls". You innocently ask a Nigerian pregnant woman in the middle of a conversation: "when is the baby due?" and she gives you a vague answer: "very soon" - what date is that? sometimes some would stupidly say "am still not sure"! How can one not know her baby's due date? You cannot even ask some men what they do for a living! They dribble you and tell you sweet tales of nothing.

I don't understand this, why are Nigerians so evasive?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by HRhotness(f): 1:55pm On May 11, 2008
coolier:

I don't understand why people cannot come out honestly to answer a simple question. And these people are precisely Nigerians.

Let's start with one's Date of Birth. I suppose everybody has one. So what's the big deal then in saying this if asked. [b]You ask someone for his DOB, he says N/[/b]A. You ask someone for his age, he/she comes up with this ambiguous answer: "am over 20, 30, or 40" or it's "am nearer 40 to 30". Is that your age?.

You ask a Nigerian how many children she's got and the answer is "wọn kii ika ọmọ fun ọlọmọ" meaning you do not count other peoples children, or they tell you "I am blessed with both boys and girls". You innocently ask a Nigerian pregnant woman in the middle of a conversation: "when is the baby due?" and she gives you a vague answer: "very soon" - what date is that? sometimes some would stupidly say "am still not sure"! How can one not know her baby's due date? You cannot even ask some men what they do for a living! They dribble you and tell you sweet tales of nothing.

I don't understand this, why are Nigerians so evasive?

I noticed u did the same on your profile undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by Seun(m): 1:56pm On May 11, 2008
(1) People are superstitious and (2) Maybe they are not as free with you as you think they are?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by coolier(f): 1:57pm On May 11, 2008
HR.hotness:

I noticed u did the same on your profile undecided

When in Rome, behave like the Romans!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by HRhotness(f): 1:59pm On May 11, 2008
coolier:

When in Rome, behave like the Romans!!!

then starting this thread is rather hypocritical, don't u think?  undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by coolier(f): 2:03pm On May 11, 2008
HR.hotness:

then starting this thread is rather hypocritical, don't u think? undecided

No maam, I wouldn't think so.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by tboy1(m): 2:08pm On May 11, 2008
@ poster

I suggest you stop hangin' around the wrong crowd , like someone already told ya' the people you're askin this questions are definitely not comfortable round you

BTW
Why does everybody start their postin' with nigerians this, nigerians that. Its gettin' so pathetic.

Poster - what country are you from?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by coolier(f): 2:16pm On May 11, 2008
tboy1:

@ poster
Why does everybody start their postin' with nigerians this, nigerians that. Its gettin' so pathetic.

So what do you suggest we do? Talk about meaningful developments in other countries!

tboy1:

@ poster
Poster - what country are you from?

Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by tboy1(m): 2:33pm On May 11, 2008
coolier:

So what do you suggest we do? Talk about meaningful developments in other countries!

Don't get me wrong, i have loads of problems with nigerians but i've come to realise that just because of a small ratio of nigerians are like that does not mean i have to generalise and say example 'why do nigerians always fight in parties' or 'why are nigerians so loud' The fact is its only a small ratio of nigerians behave that way and im not going to generalise the whole nigerian community because of 1 or 2 experiences.

Are you sayin' all the nigerians you know are all evasive?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by coolier(f): 3:32pm On May 11, 2008
tboy1:

Are you sayin' all the nigerians you know are all evasive?

MAJORITY of them are.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by Cadet(f): 3:42pm On May 11, 2008
Why should we not be evasive? grin
Why should we be evasive? tongue
Why are you asking? cheesy
Why Nigerians and not another? grin grin
Why am I asking you alll this question? tongue tongue
Is it becuz you asked? Why? embarassed
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by HRhotness(f): 3:51pm On May 11, 2008
coolier:

MAJORITY of them are.

again u're generalising,,, how are u sure the statistics u have are for a majority,,, after all nigeria has a population of over 140 million

Cadet:

Why should we not be evasive? grin
Why should we be evasive? tongue
Why are you asking? cheesy
Why Nigerians and not another? grin grin
Why am I asking you alll this question? tongue tongue
Is it becuz you asked? Why? embarassed

now You sista,,, r being evasive!  grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by Pennywise(m): 3:59pm On May 11, 2008
@Poster

Let's start with one's Date of Birth. I suppose everybody has one. So what's the big deal then in saying this if asked. You ask someone for his DOB, he says N/A. You ask someone for his age, he/she comes up with this ambiguous answer: "am over 20, 30, or 40" or it's "am nearer 40 to 30". Is that your age?.

Being evasive would suggest being cold. I doubt it that Nigerians can be seen as such. We are actually very warm and receptive. If on the other hand you mean we are inhibited (some people will say pretend or hypocritical) compared to other Africans you will get a big, big nod from me. East,Central and Southern Africans are by far in my mind much less inhibited.

The example you chose to illustrate with may have been skewed from the point. Age is a very personal thing. I am sure the reason you left it out of your profile has nothing to do with your being Nigerian.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by Cadet(f): 4:23pm On May 11, 2008
HR.hotness:

now You sista,,, r being evasive! grin
LOL! WHAT? wHAT MAKES ME EVASIVE?
wHY DO YOU THINK SO?
wHAT IS THE MEANING OF EVASIVE?
grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by iice(f): 5:14pm On May 11, 2008
Dunno about others, but the ones i know don't even need to be asked for them to spill whether you wan hear or not. . .
Me?. . .yes i am evasive. . .
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by mazaje(m): 6:14pm On May 11, 2008
The reason is purely cultural, most of our Nigerian cultures do not encourage open mindedness and individaul reliance, secrecy is highly supported and dissenting is not tolerated in most cultures hence people choose to be secretive in most of their day to day endeavours.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by wendymanda: 6:19pm On May 11, 2008
MAybe because they want you to mind your own business while they mind theirs
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by coolier(f): 6:59pm On May 11, 2008
Pennywise:

@Poster
Being evasive would suggest being cold. I doubt it that Nigerians can be seen as such. We are actually very warm and receptive.

Not necessarily, one can be evasive in a nice friendly way. I agree with the fact that Nigerians are one warm and hospitable people but too precautious and overly suspicious.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by Spermdrops(m): 10:24pm On May 11, 2008
I wonder why people still ask these kinds of questions.  Do you think the reputations of Nigerians around the world is a conspiracy? 

Because they (Nigerians) are natural, born liers, experts in duplicity and skillfull in primitive deception skills!  With too many skeletons in the cupboard and under the bed, evasiveness can be the only way out because they would not know where to start and could definitely not keep up with the lies they have told themselves not to mention the ones they have told to others.

Always in a tangled, web weave without salvation!

They tell a lot of lies and they steal alot too!  Can never tell the truth with all the visits to the holy places, even if their lives depended on it. Gosh! shocked  The greatest liers in the whole planet Earth! Never believe anything they open their mouth to spit out. cheesy

419 peeps!

Gottta love em'!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by Cadet(f): 10:39pm On May 11, 2008
AlmondJoy, you don come with trouble again. See, your stalkers will be back o
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by wendymanda: 7:29pm On May 12, 2008
Cadet:

AlmondJoy, you don come with trouble again. See, your stalkers will be back o

Was she banned?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by Dreloaded(f): 7:33pm On May 12, 2008
lol you want them to tell you all that so you can call INS on them?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by LASIEFAIRE(m): 8:15pm On May 12, 2008
Whats your Date of Birth? - Do you work with social services or something?
Whats your social security number? - ***** Please

Ask reasonable questions you will get good answers. Its not call evasion its keeping private what needs to be kept private.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by sheniqua: 10:21pm On May 12, 2008
and every dead person in Nigerian obituary section died of a "brief illness"
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by coolier(f): 10:32pm On May 12, 2008
sheniqua:

and every dead person in Nigerian obituary section died of a "brief illness"

Now we're talking!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by mafolayomi(f): 11:11am On May 15, 2008
@ poster, you self, no dey ask too much question you hear
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by mafolayomi(f): 11:16am On May 15, 2008
@ poster, you self, no dey ask too much questions you hear
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by coolier(f): 1:45pm On May 15, 2008
Speak up about your ailment, Gani tells Yar’Adua
By OLA AGBAJE
Thursday, May 15 , 2008

Chief Gani Fawehinmi
Mores Stories on This Section

Lagos lawyer, Chief Gani Fawehinmi (SAN) has challenged President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua to disclose his ailment to the Nigerian people.Fawehinmi gave the challenge in Lagos on Wednesday during a courtesy visit by the Edo State governorship candidate of the Action Congress (AC), Adams Oshiomhole.

The ailing human rights crusader said there was no reason for the continued silence of the president on the nature of his ailment. Using his present situation as an example to Yar’Adua, Fawehinmi said: “I’m suffering from the cancer of the lungs. I did not put it there. Let me use this opportunity to call on President Yar’Adua to disclose the nature of his ailment to the people.
“I want to prevail on the president of Nigeria to tell us what is wrong with him. We are entitled to know. Why should he be afraid. Look at myself, I didn’t put the cancer there.

“The people are entitled to know what is wrong with the man running our affairs. And he has not told us. He is going to Germany for five days, eight days, 12 days. Oh! I mean it is a slap on the integrity and respectability of our people.”
He lamented that he had to travel abroad before the nature of his ailment could be discovered, blaming the development on the poor state of healthcare delivery in the country.

The fiery lawyer further regretted the lack of diagnostic facility in the country to properly detect his ailment, which, according to him, had led to the growth of the cancer.
He lamented that despite the abundant wealth of the nation, successive governments in the country had not deemed it fit to seriously invest in the health sector.

AND EVEN OUR PRESIDENT TOO!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by savanaha: 4:33am On May 16, 2008
Good for Fawehinmi, someone needs to tell it like it is. A president that can't trust his own health care system aught to be highly ashamed of himself. I don't know who is more embarrassing President Bushman or Mr. YAR' Dumbass.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by Nobody: 4:59am On May 16, 2008
Is there anything wrong in being evasive tongue
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by iice(f): 3:24am On May 17, 2008
@Topic The other day, my bro's gf said the same thing to me. . .
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Evasive? by coolier(f): 9:42am On May 17, 2008
iice:

@Topic The other day, my bro's girlfriend said the same thing to me. . .

(1) (2) (Reply)

African Man With 999 Wives / See Michelin Baby / In Nollywood Married Women Wear Ankara: Ankara = Responsible Woman?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.