Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,859 members, 7,972,992 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 02:58 AM

Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. (10983 Views)

Application For Admission Into Federal Government Unity Schools 2016 Is Ongoing / Federal Unity Schools Strike Has Been Called Off / JAMB UTME 2011 Cutoff Marks Of Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by obyrich(m): 8:10pm On Jun 27, 2013
sage_: These is all happening under the nose of the southern reps. What are their governors even saying. For those from the south who want to genuinely criticize GEJ government, your time is here. So much hypocrisy in the land.
Did federal character and quota system start with GEJ? Please leave GEJ out of this. This administration is laying bare all the fraud the north has been commiting in this nation
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jun 27, 2013
ketoprofen:

and who is asking bauchi andGombe students not to turn up for exams? amd who is forcing Abia students to turn up for exams too? mtchew
Read the post again.
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by Albaniy(m): 9:12pm On Jun 27, 2013
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jun 27, 2013
[size=16pt]@Bonteee[/size]

You really need to stop trying to support mediocrity please. angry The current cut-off system is just trash and daz all. If kids up north aren't doing well then the educational system should be addressed... instead of they providing such senseless cut-off marks as a consequence of the decadence in that sector. In the interest of diversity at these schools, I support a system where students from different regions are considered a little differently... but such huge disparities in cut-off scores used for screening? na nonsense be that na. undecided

1 Like

Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by IGBOSON1: 9:53pm On Jun 27, 2013
ACM10: It is only in Nigeria that schools are establised for the purpose of unity, instead of learning. Yet some mofos are shamelessly defending it. Later you wonder why Nigeria is a shithole.

^^^Heheheheheh grin grin grin They must achieve this elusive unity and ram it down your throat come hell or high water! wink
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by 2chief(m): 10:30pm On Jun 27, 2013
Even if they admit them on zero point, yet it will take another 50 years or more for the north to come close to the south in terms of education and literacy level.That is what their so called leaders want.
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by IGBOSON1: 10:34pm On Jun 27, 2013
noblezone:

Your "best brains" really caught my attention!
Are you saying that the best brains from Yobe can manage to get just 2 out of 200?
Your explanations are okay, except that those are not the issues we are talking about.

How will someone who scored 2 (which means basic english and maths are serious problems) cope with someone who score 120?

Mind you, it not Anambra that decided to make their cut off to 139, it is the policy from the Federal ministry of education.

Emm, please as far as I can recall, 40% is the least pass mark!
What is wrong with you people? 2 is just a score of 1%! 1% for goodness sake!

This is why I will have to do whatever I can to make sure that we get Biafra out of Nigeria. Nigeria will never make progress with this sort of madness.

My God! So there is nothing like pass mark because it is unity school>

A child who cannot solve simple equation will be sent to secondary school to solve quadratic equation, and perhaps he does not need to pass. He must be promoted also, so that his quota must remain filled.

I am ashamed of being called a Nigerian.
I don't blame you guys sha, I blame Lord Luggard!

^^^I think part of the problem is that the core moslem north of today has lost that sense of pride and dignity that Sadauna had, that saw the north in his day try to match the south in all aspects of human/economic development.

The present crop of northern elite (well most to be fair) are just interested in gaining and holding on to power at the centre to control the allocation and distribution of economic largesse and benefits; like oyel wells, gov't contracts, high-level appointments, and enacting policies (like the one in question) that could help keep the 'competition' in sight.

Ahmadu Bello would be spinning in his grave!
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jun 27, 2013
this policy is a shame. What's wrong in setting A pass mark?
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jun 27, 2013
basisop: This is how mediocrity starts. Are some of the students half humans? Same way they will also be pushed to graduate and they will sort themselves into a sensitive office as leaders. Our future is....

Our future ARE blight! I doesn't knows why you piple is worry over a cutting of a marks. Look, it are Wetin is dey inside the head naaa! grin
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by adconline(m): 2:11am On Jun 28, 2013
Bontee:

The cost for attending a unity school is the same irrespective of the cutoff mark used in gaining admittance so the logic does not correlate for me and there is no where in the world such is practiced.
Requirement for acceptance is same cost..
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by tpia5: 3:05am On Jun 28, 2013
C. whyte:
You guys should reason the order way too.
Lowering the cut off marks in northern states is a plan to get these kids to school b4 they grow to become idle and then Boko Haram.

I don't think it is a bad idea to lower cut off marks to get these kids to school.

the lower cut off is to refute the "best brain" fantasy.

the schools were established to promote unity among nigerians [hasnt happened so far, save for among the cult groups].

what seems to have obtained is the schools typically have as their catchment areas, people considered elites or middle class, not necessarily people considered brilliant.

so, maybe the entertainment circuit might be what gives rise to the "best" label here, not sure.

if the south is sending what they consider their "best" brains while the north sends whoever scored a cut off mark of 2 or 3, then clearly we are all arguing in circles here.
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by tpia5: 3:07am On Jun 28, 2013
btw what are the names and constituents of the reps discussing this.
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by connkg(m): 7:51am On Jun 28, 2013
Bontee and others,

The foundation of Unity Schools was based on the assumption of locality and geographical spread. There is no longer the need for the assumption that a child of Southern parents who schooled in the North should have a cut-off different from the rest of his/her schoolmates, when the same environmental factors or lack of teachers affected them both equally. The child should no longer be assessed based on State of Origin.
Nigeria is now more cosmopolitan than that assumption.
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by cikranco: 8:36am On Jun 28, 2013
Bontee: It is better people read up about the unity schools of a thing before they start abusing the people of northern Nigeria. Its not like every kids from the south is smart or by default more intelligent than any kid from the north.

My brother if i didn't read well explained it to me please
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by Mekky2010: 8:57am On Jun 28, 2013
I d rather suggest that all schools in the South be closed until such a time that the north catches up.. Aren't nonsense!
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 28, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^I think part of the problem is that the core moslem north of today has lost that sense of pride and dignity that Sadauna had, that saw the north in his day try to match the south in all aspects of human/economic development.

The present crop of northern elite (well most to be fair) are just interested in gaining and holding on to power at the centre to control the allocation and distribution of economic largesse and benefits; like oyel wells, gov't contracts, high-level appointments, and enacting policies (like the one in question) that could help keep the 'competition' in sight.

Nwa nna,
we must do something for our generation!
I am not pretending about it. If Nigeria cannot reform, then Biafra is a very good option.
It is futile trying to ride a dead horse!

1 Like

Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by Bontee: 12:56pm On Jun 28, 2013
The unity schools are model schools with a defined purpose and goal hence the criteria and system of admission used to direct activities towards that goal. It is a simple methodology, x amount of students from each state to be distributed in equal y amounts to all the unity schools across the country except where a state cannot fill her allocation. Each state has their own criteria in selecting students to fill their allocation and its not the business or concern of other states.

We can decide to bring five nuclear scientist from ten different countries but you will agree with me that they are not all equal in intelligence even if they are all the best brains representing their country. There are many other ills which you guys are overlooking, educationally less developed states syndrome, catchment areas, appointing indigenes mostly to state civil service and giving scholarship to state indigenes only. Physician heal thyself first before you condemn northerners for an insignificant amount of unity schools in comparison to the multitudes of state schools littered all over the place.

@cong_kg

Then tell the national assembly to abolish state of origin in place of state of residence.

sam4xadams: this policy is a shame. What's wrong in setting A pass mark?

There is a passmark but different for each state based on students performance and appropriate level to meetup with given allocation for the state.

@ekwah

Its not compulsory to attend unity schools as there are numerous state schools littered all over the place and even private schools are everywhere now.

@noblezone

Setting the cutoff point to be 2 does not mean there no students with pass marks way above 100 from those states. The cut off points are set so low to accommodate as many student as possible in view of the allocated slot given to these states. Coping with student with higher pass marks is not relevant as teamwork and proper teaching methods will help every student grow and stimulate learning that might not be possible if allowed to continue with the teaching methods used in their state of origin.

Most state has more secondary schools than unity schools and even more capacity to accommodate huge number of students than unity schools. So our focus should be on upgrading the standard of our state schools because the unity schools were the best in the country at the time of their establishment. When we focus on the purpose and system created for the unity schools then it is no need to fuse about the present situation. If you are going to make the cutoff points equal and uniform then there is no point calling them unity schools anymore. We can aswell abolish catchment areas and educationally less developed states provisions in our admission process also as people get cheated with such provisions.
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jun 28, 2013
Bontee: The unity schools are model schools with a defined purpose and goal hence the criteria and system of admission used to direct activities towards that goal. It is a simple methodology, x amount of students from each state to be distributed in equal y amounts to all the unity schools across the country except where a state cannot fill her allocation. Each state has their own criteria in selecting students to fill their allocation and its not the business or concern of other states.

We can decide to bring five nuclear scientist from ten different countries but you will agree with me that they are not all equal in intelligence even if they are all the best brains representing their country. There are many other ills which you guys are overlooking, educationally less developed states syndrome, catchment areas, appointing indigenes mostly to state civil service and giving scholarship to state indigenes only. Physician heal thyself first before you condemn northerners for an insignificant amount of unity schools in comparison to the multitudes of state schools littered all over the place.

@cong_kg

Then tell the national assembly to abolish state of origin in place of state of residence.

There is a passmark but different for each state based on students performance and appropriate level to meetup with given allocation for the state.

@ekwah

Its not compulsory to attend unity schools as there are numerous state schools littered all over the place and even private schools are everywhere now.

@noblezone

Setting the cutoff point to be 2 does not mean there no students with pass marks way above 100 from those states. The cut off points are set so low to accommodate as many student as possible in view of the allocated slot given to these states. Coping with student with higher pass marks is not relevant as teamwork and proper teaching methods will help every student grow and stimulate learning that might not be possible if allowed to continue with the teaching methods used in their state of origin.

Most state has more secondary schools than unity schools and even more capacity to accommodate huge number of students than unity schools. So our focus should be on upgrading the standard of our state schools because the unity schools were the best in the country at the time of their establishment. When we focus on the purpose and system created for the unity schools then it is no need to fuse about the present situation. If you are going to make the cutoff points equal and uniform then there is no point calling them unity schools anymore. We can aswell abolish catchment areas and educationally less developed states provisions in our admission process also as people get cheated with such provisions.

hmmm... u try with this ur replies sha... Me I just tire for everything about this country. embarassed
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jun 28, 2013
Bontee: The unity schools are model schools with a defined purpose and goal hence the criteria and system of admission used to direct activities towards that goal. It is a simple methodology, x amount of students from each state to be distributed in equal y amounts to all the unity schools across the country except where a state cannot fill her allocation. Each state has their own criteria in selecting students to fill their allocation and its not the business or concern of other states.

@cong_kg

@ekwah

@noblezone

[b]Setting the cutoff point to be 2 does not mean there no students with pass marks way above 100 from those states. The cut off points are set so low to accommodate as many student as possible in view of the allocated slot given to these states. [/b]Coping with student with higher pass marks is not relevant as teamwork and proper teaching methods will help every student grow and stimulate learning that might not be possible if allowed to continue with the teaching methods used in their state of origin.

Please, the average pass mark is 40%.
A student who does not score 40% in an exam has failed and therefore cannot be promoted.
I don't know if this is too much for one to understand.

It does not matter whether it is unity school or not. Admitting a student who failed the entrance exam because of quota is not only unpatriotic but also stupidity of the highest order. It is a mockery of academics!

I wish you well!!!
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by InvertedHammer: 6:13am On Jun 29, 2013
josh4ever:

Our future ARE blight! I doesn't knows why you piple is worry over a cutting of a marks. Look, it are Wetin is dey inside the head naaa! grin

See what I mean?
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by Nobody: 7:01am On Jun 29, 2013
InvertedHammer:

See what I mean?

he did it intentionally jor grin
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by elder05(m): 7:25am On Jun 29, 2013
The federal govt might feel this quota system helps the northerners but it doesn't. I attended a unity sch and by the time we got to SS3 majority of the northern students had dropped out. My advice is to increase their cut off marks, at least this will give their primary sch teachers more challenge.

1 Like

Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by ketoprofen(m): 9:27am On Jun 29, 2013
IGBO-SON:

before i respond to this post,pls, explain wat u mean by Ahmadu Bello will be soinning in his grave. is it that he is unhappy or otherwis?
Re: Reps Fault Cut-off Marks Of Unity Schools. by ketoprofen(m): 9:32am On Jun 29, 2013
noblezone:

Nwa nna,
we must do something for our generation!
I am not pretending about it. If Nigeria cannot reform, then Biafra is a very good option.
It is futile trying to ride a dead horse!

My dear, no be small dead horse o.Am with u on this one

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

15 Totally Strange Facts That Will Make You Feel Uneasy / N3.564bn Expenditure Scandal In Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture Umudike / Best Law Books For Law Students: A Must Read For Aspiring Lawyers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.