Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,264 members, 7,887,770 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 01:33 PM

Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar (7343 Views)

Akpabio & Obong Attah Reunite At Florence Ita-Giwa's Birthday Party (Pics) / Anambra Central: Appeal Court Ruling Has Vindicated Me – Sen Chris Ngige / High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by Youngzedd(m): 7:41am On Jul 05, 2013
CALABAR — APPEAL Court sitting in Calabar, yesterday, confirmed a Calabar High Court ruling which, in October 2012, nullified the processes for the selection of Obong of Calabar through which Etubom Ekpo Okon Abasi Otu emerged as Obong.

The court ordered for another selection process to elect an Obong for the Efik.

In a unanimous decision, Justice Mohanmmed Lawal, Justice Uzor Ndukwe and Justice Onyekachi Okisi, the Appeal Court judges agreed that the selection processes through which Etubom Abasi Otu emerged to become the Obong of Calabar was not all inclusive and thus new processes should be instituted for all eligible persons to undergo the selection of Obong.
*Aloma-Mariam-Mukhtar, CJN: Promises reformation

*Aloma-Mariam-Mukhtar, CJN

The judgment also disqualified Chief Anthony Ani, who is the first respondent from contesting since he was not a capped chief, which is a prerequisite for the qualification to contest for the post of Obong.

Reacting to the judgment, counsel to Chief Anthony Ani, Mr. Bassey Offiong said: “The court delivered judgment in part.

“So many issues were in contention including first, whether Etubom Anthony Ani was qualified to contest for the stool.

“The court ruled that since he was not capped, he was not qualified to contest for the Obongship stool based on the constitution of Obong council.”

He said secondly, the court considered the issue of natural justice and said Etubom Ani was not given fair hearing during the selection process because his complaints were not listened to and therefore another selection exercise should be conducted which is all inclusive.

Reacting, Etubom Anthony Ani said he would study the judgment before taking a decision whether to appeal.

or not. “Well, I was not in court and my lawyer just briefed me. So far, I see the ruling as 50-50 affair. I will look at it, see how it affects me and may be appeal the judgment.

“However, one thing we are sure of for now is that there is no Obong of Calabar because the judgment today has nullified the entire processes. For the Efik people now, there is no Obong”.

On his part, counsel to Obong Barrister A.A Archi of Nella, Lawal and Rabana chambers said the judgment is a vindication that capping is a fundamental requirement for a candidate to be eligible to be qualified to contest for selection, election or appointment to the Obong of Calabar throne.

“The judgment also upheld our view that a learned trial judge, with all due respect, sought to perpetually alter the standing and recognized customs of the Efiks which would have affected the lives and people of the community”.

according to him the barring of Etubom Ani from the selection processes is a vindication that the Obong of Calabar, was eligible to be selected and appointed as Obong “although the court nullified the processes but we are still confident that the he will still after due processes have been followed emerge as the Obong of Calabar”.

Chief Ani, the counsel said is not qualified and “will no longer be qualified to contest since he was not abintio capped while all others who are qualified will be eligible to contest.

Source
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by momodub: 9:48am On Jul 05, 2013
Obong of Calabar position is vacant ohhh my Etighi people
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by Cusubaba(m): 9:49am On Jul 05, 2013
Na wa ooo..
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by cmooa: 9:51am On Jul 05, 2013
This is another setback
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by MrAladin: 9:53am On Jul 05, 2013
thank God.. Cus all dis ppll na dem dey spoil cross river..
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by Capnd143(m): 9:56am On Jul 05, 2013
Obong of calabar? When their mates in other countries are trying to find way to improve their economic situation? In Yuzedo's voice; we give up! Moving back from calabar to my banana island

2 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by fitzmayowa: 9:57am On Jul 05, 2013
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by bellaberry: 10:01am On Jul 05, 2013
Na wah o. make them no stone the person wey sanction the sack calabar jazz o!
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by Cmoyor: 10:03am On Jul 05, 2013
Vacancy! Pls apply wit ur cv
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by alaoeri: 10:03am On Jul 05, 2013
Is like advancement don render Oba's position powerless unlike before because such things can never happen.
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by nifemi25(m): 10:06am On Jul 05, 2013
Capnd143: Obong of calabar? When their mates in other countries are trying to find way to improve their economic situation? In Yuzedo's voice; we give up! Moving back from calabar to my banana island

From fry pan to fire.
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by enrisky(m): 10:07am On Jul 05, 2013
[quote author=Youngzedd][/quote] hmmmm[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by Nobody: 10:23am On Jul 05, 2013
Calabar, a land of Peace.
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by executinal(m): 10:32am On Jul 05, 2013
Etubom Ekpo Okon Abasi Otu
See Name grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by Lilimax(f): 10:47am On Jul 05, 2013
This post has been hidden
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by waja(m): 11:25am On Jul 05, 2013
What happened to his dogs?
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by Inik(m): 11:36am On Jul 05, 2013
Too bad that a reputable traditional institution has been dragged into the mud by greedy and self seeking men.
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by Nten: 11:37am On Jul 05, 2013
executinal:
Etubom is a title
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by pbling: 11:39am On Jul 05, 2013
wetin concern court wt traditn,dose days who bon govt wel?
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by MillionDollars: 11:58am On Jul 05, 2013
na calabar tinz nah! D "obong" for dn f.u.ck all d calabar girls bend
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by babslamin: 12:36pm On Jul 05, 2013
I thought most traditional title are inherited. Every post in naija is now politically own. Traditional title will soon start going on election
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by Elueme: 12:41pm On Jul 05, 2013
The case has been in court. Learnt his enthronement negates all known norms for such office, hence the rightful person to the throne was denied. Maybe justice is being served rightly.
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by KINGwax(m): 12:47pm On Jul 05, 2013
This is Tinubu's fault!
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by jonexty(m): 12:51pm On Jul 05, 2013
MillionDollars: na calabar tinz nah! D "obong" for dn f.u.ck all d calabar girls bend
ikpa, no wetin u d talk wit Obong... Where r u 4rm? Beta dnt drag dat name to d mud or jazz go reach ur side.
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by DGovnor1(m): 1:13pm On Jul 05, 2013
pbling: wetin concern court wt traditn,dose days who bon govt wel?

Things have fallen apart and the centre can no longer hold....
When we embraced western culture in its totality, that was when the centre stopped holding and it ushered the death of traditional known values and norms
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by AbuMikey(m): 3:16pm On Jul 05, 2013
Ok
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by Dibiachukwu: 10:02pm On Jul 05, 2013
Nigerian courts interfering in historic kingdoms. This can never be a gud thing.
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by Blackgold09(f): 10:07pm On Jul 05, 2013
executinal:
write all ur names make we see
Re: Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar by Everfrank(m): 8:40am On Jul 06, 2013
This proves that our courts are working. I pray to God to also make me win my case at the Supreme Court come July 12.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atiku Cancels Birthday Celebration In Honour Of Kano Bomb Blast Victims / Check Out Ghanians Reactions To Nigeria Delaying Plans To Cut Ghana's Gas Supply / Tony Nwulu In Chieftancy Regalia As Christian Association Commends Achievements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.