Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,980 members, 7,915,859 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 11:28 AM

High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V (5662 Views)

Ndoma-egba, Otu, Others Defect To APC In Cross River State / Federal High Court Dismisses Saraki's Application Seeking To Stop His Trial / Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by mukina2: 3:26pm On Jan 30, 2012
The Obong of Calabar, Abasi Otu V was this morning dethroned by a Calabar High Court ruling.

The high court presided over by Justice Obojor Ogar held that the selection process that led to Obong Abasi Otu’s enthronement in 2008 was flawed.

The court further ruled that the Obong Council excluded one of the sons of Ikon Ito, Chief Anthony Ani, one time Finance Minister.

He was excluded even though he is a son of Ikon Ito where the Obongship was zoned to in 1998. The court therefore declared the stool of Obong of Calabar vacant and ordered that another selection process instituted with Chief Anthony Ani as one of the contestants.

The court also said with the stool of Obong declared vacant anyone who is parading himself as the Obong is parading an illegality. The deposed Obon Abasi Otu V is presently outside the country. It is expected that he will appeal the judgement when he returns.

Chief Anthony Ani challenged the selection and installation of the Obong in court, claiming that he was schemed out of the selection process.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/01/30/court-sacks-calabar-king/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PmNewsNigeria+%28PM+News+Nigeria%29
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by Afam4eva(m): 3:28pm On Jan 30, 2012
Laugh wan kill me for hia. Are Obongs voted for?
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by executinal(m): 3:33pm On Jan 30, 2012
Naija will never seaze to amaze me grin grin
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jan 30, 2012
How embarrassing can dis be? SMH 4 Naija
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by otokx(m): 3:45pm On Jan 30, 2012
Interesting
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by nizelgirl(f): 3:49pm On Jan 30, 2012
From the Governor to Obong of calabar who knows what will happen next there.
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by Acidosis(m): 3:56pm On Jan 30, 2012
I used to have this belief that obas and kings are immortals.

I never knew obas go to court.
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by Afam4eva(m): 3:58pm On Jan 30, 2012
Very soon evil spirits will start going to court.
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by Baawaa(m): 4:01pm On Jan 30, 2012
Magomago everywhere tongue tongue
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by mbulela: 4:08pm On Jan 30, 2012
after 4 years.
our judicial system needs overhauling.
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by Arosa(m): 4:11pm On Jan 30, 2012
afam4eva:

Very soon evil spirits will start going to court.

You never see anything, no be person sue God the other day.
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by ceejayluv(m): 4:36pm On Jan 30, 2012
Acidosis:

I used to have this belief that obas and kings are immortals.

I never knew obas go to court.
Lol, I heard Masquerades were spirits but one was Arrested and locked up in my villa few years back
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by mikky89(m): 5:35pm On Jan 30, 2012
If the Obong decides to appeal which he would, who becomes obong in the interim maybe the deputy speaker of the house of assembly
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by Afam4eva(m): 5:37pm On Jan 30, 2012
mikky89:

If the Obong decides to appeal which he would, who becomes obong in the interim maybe the deputy speaker of the house of assembly

Lmao

The Obong should switch to PDP jare.
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by kepsi123(m): 5:45pm On Jan 30, 2012
this is exactly why that exalted position holds no respect anymore.
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by kasperone8: 6:10pm On Jan 30, 2012
hmmm, Very soon boko haram will go to court
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by Iranoladun(f): 7:14pm On Jan 30, 2012
Chief Anthony Ani's case against the Obong was probably stalled due to the Governor's meddling. So on Friday when the Supreme court passed the Judgement on Liyel Imoke's tenure as governor of Cross River; I knew the judgement for this Obong case will be deliver any moment.

Expect more of such cases in other states affected!
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by kinguwem: 7:21pm On Jan 30, 2012
It is a shame that the throne of the Obong of Calabar is being ridiculed. The Obong of Calabar is the head of the efiks. The efik etuboms should shun selfish interests and select the Obong of Calabar according to laid down tradition. The prestige of the efiks and their culture is at stake if the dispute of the Obong's throne is not amicably resolved.
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by jmaine: 7:28pm On Jan 30, 2012
For once i thought the incessant bickering to the throne of obong of calabar was rested . . . Bassey Ekpo Bassey easily comes to the mind as one of those who fomented endless troubles to the kingship . . .
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by odumchi: 10:52pm On Jan 30, 2012
Does that state court have the power to do that?

How can a [state] court have the power to do that unless it is a traditional court? I don't think it's constitutional for state or federal governments to meddle in the affairs of a traditional ruler or society.
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by dexterefa: 11:03am On Jan 31, 2012
Well, my people this is a very serious matter, the evil called corruption will never die in Nigeria. It is an inborn thing, but the pride of the Efik Kingdom is at stake. shocked
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by member479760: 1:01pm On Jan 31, 2012
Ekiti to Calabar - what's going on?
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by Koolking(m): 1:11pm On Jan 31, 2012
This is ludicrous! The credibility of Obongship as a cultural prestige and heritage of the Efiks has been embarrassingly lampooned. Why do we derive so much pleasure in doing the last thing first? I have it on good authority that Obongship is hereditary. It stays within a lineage. That being said, how did Calabar Obongship find it way to be PDPically and ACNically maneuvered? True, Christianity has seriously downplayed the powers of the forefathers and gods hence someone would have been struck dead. SMH
Re: High Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Abasi Otu V by donifecent(m): 5:42pm On Jan 31, 2012
were was the court when he was ordained. malpractice inside village. Obong rig the spiritual crown, chai, were is the gods

(1) (Reply)

Why Do We Nigerian Keep On Voting Pdp, Then Complian About Them Later: ? / Obj To Produce His Grand Son's New Album ( See Pix) / BREAKINGNEWS! Akpabio’s Sneak Visit To Buhari Ends In Disgrace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.