Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,096 members, 7,939,430 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 04:54 AM

The African's Duty - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The African's Duty (691 Views)

Nollywood Is Preserving The African Film - Nigerian Films / Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? / The African Phenotype Diversity Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The African's Duty by yorubaamerican(m): 8:38am On Jul 08, 2013
What do you think?

Re: The African's Duty by yorubaamerican(m): 2:40pm On Jul 08, 2013
"No, my sister. You have it backwards. Did you not understand the story of the prodigal son? You need to reclaim your kidnapped (and betrayed) brethren because WE HOLD THE KEY to your salvation. It is your arrogance that will be your undoing. So much so that you cannot even see Satan in your very utterance." -- Comment from an African-American with experience in Nigeria, he married a Nigerian woman
Re: The African's Duty by makahlj2: 10:19am On Jul 09, 2013
yorubaamerican: You need to reclaim your kidnapped (and betrayed) brethren because WE HOLD THE KEY to your salvation.
How so? Nobody should be held responsible for his ancestors' doings. And should I mention that there are WHITE SLAVEOWNERS among the ancestors of African-Americans?

3 Likes

Re: The African's Duty by anonymous6(f): 2:15pm On Jul 09, 2013
yorubaamerican: Did you not understand the story of the prodigal son? You need to reclaim your kidnapped (and betrayed) brethren because WE HOLD THE KEY to your salvation

The story of the prodigal son has nothing to do with this topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_Prodigal_Son

Nobody needs to reclaim anybody; africans hold the key to their own salvation, african americans hold the key to their own salvation, and the same goes with black Caribbeans.
Re: The African's Duty by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 09, 2013
I disagree with her.
Africans owe us nothing.

Some will be willing to explain our past anf thats cool.
But its not their duty. Whats done is done and we are different people now.
Re: The African's Duty by yorubaamerican(m): 9:31am On Jul 12, 2013
makahlj2: How so? Nobody should be held responsible for his ancestors' doings. And should I mention that there are WHITE SLAVEOWNERS among the ancestors of African-Americans?

What do you mean "his" ancestor's doings? Don't you mean our ancestors?
Re: The African's Duty by yorubaamerican(m): 9:33am On Jul 12, 2013
*Kails*:
I disagree with her.
Africans owe us nothing.

Some will be willing to explain our past anf thats cool.
But its not their duty. Whats done is done and we are different people now.

Very interesting comment. Tell me, what exactly makes us different from one another?
Re: The African's Duty by makahlj2: 10:58am On Jul 12, 2013
yorubaamerican:

What do you mean "his" ancestor's doings? Don't you mean our ancestors?
I meant everyone's ancestors. Africans', African-Americans', and even whites', to a degree.
Re: The African's Duty by yorubaamerican(m): 11:14am On Jul 12, 2013
yorubaamerican: What do you think?

Another comment from a Facebook friend, since Nairalanders won't touch this "meme".

"Africans people born on the continent are victims of an equally poor education system. Thus, they are ignorant, arrogant, and are unwilling to be taught. African people born outside of the continent are ignorant, willing to be taught, and very knowledgeable of the devil who spoiled them. Africans born and socialized on the continent are in no position to teach anybody anything about Africa -- which they know nothing about. (All of the knowledge on Africans in the past several centuries have come from her diaspora) Ms. Fatima Diouf is promoting arrogance and false pride ("proud for nothing"wink -- both tools of the devil to maintain division. But, upon closer inspection, the message of this "meme" is slickly packaged and is within the conceptual parameters of Western feminist philosophy (an anti-African phenomenon)"
Re: The African's Duty by makahlj2: 11:50am On Jul 12, 2013
yorubaamerican:

Another comment from a Facebook friend, since Nairalanders won't touch this "meme".

"Africans people born on the continent are victims of an equally poor education system. Thus, they are ignorant, arrogant, and are unwilling to be taught. African people born outside of the continent are ignorant, willing to be taught, and very knowledgeable of the devil who spoiled them. Africans born and socialized on the continent are in no position to teach anybody anything about Africa -- which they know nothing about. (All of the knowledge on Africans in the past several centuries have come from her diaspora) Ms. Fatima Diouf is promoting arrogance and false pride ("proud for nothing"wink -- both tools of the devil to maintain division. But, upon closer inspection, the message of this "meme" is slickly packaged and is within the conceptual parameters of Western feminist philosophy (an anti-African phenomenon)"
Hom many "Africans people born on the continent" has this person ever met? Three? Four? Africa is a big continent; too big to be subjected to such generalizations.
Re: The African's Duty by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 12, 2013
yorubaamerican:

Very interesting comment. Tell me, what exactly makes us different from one another?

Culture
Outlook/perspective
History; etc etc.

We have the same skin color and may have some similarities we can pin point for example some words in patois or some AA custom in south carolina etc etc but we are still just as different because of my list above.

Being caribbean I dont know what life is like for an african. I have some idea what it is for AAs because I was born and raised in america but even then because I was raised mostly around my jamaican family I take more to that side so I view life through the lense of a jamaican.

when it comes to Africans AND AAs, we dont have the same culture. We dont have the same view point.
Re: The African's Duty by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jul 12, 2013
yorubaamerican:

That is very interesting statement right there.

I would love to reason with her. Could you ask her to explain more what she means by that?

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians' Fixating Folly In "Where Are You From?" - Attorney Patryk Utulu / How Language Can Affect The Way We Think / PICTURES: American Scientist Rubbish Human's Preoccupation With Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.