Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,510 members, 7,888,627 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 11:45 AM

Netherlands Shuts Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Netherlands Shuts Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals (2158 Views)

Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe / USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack / Netherland Set To Close Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Netherlands Shuts Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 09, 2013
While the early 1990’s saw an increase in crimes occurring in the
Netherlands; in 2009 the crime level had dropped to a record low
that the Dutch justice ministry has decided to close 8 prisons,
cutting off 1,200 jobs within the prison. Low crime rates have led to
an overcapacity in the country’s jails; with them now housing
12,000 detainees, although the capacity is for 14,000.

The Netherlands are recognized as one of the safest countries in
which to live in the world. Hardly any violent crime occurs,
although due to the tourism industry, tourists are still often the
target of pickpockets and bag snatchers. Occasionally, thieves may
even end up breaking in hotel rooms and even cars.
Anyone visiting the Netherlands should practice precaution and
alertness, instead of being complacent about its low crime rates.
Theft occurs mostly on public transportation systems, including the
tram and trains, especially to and from the airport.

Every year since 2004 has seen a drop in crimes in the
Netherlands, with 167,100 criminal cases registered in 2011, 13%
lower than the previous year. Traffic offenses which include
speeding and parking cases, have also continued to drop
consistently. Bike theft has also been a predominant problem
which Dutch authorities continue to work on, with over 750,000
bikes stolen each year due to the country’s large bike ownership. In
order to resolve bike theft, authorities have included new measures
such as installing a chip in each one, and registering each in a bike
registry.

Long story, continue reading here

http://www.therichest.org/location/netherlands-shuts-down-prisons-due-to-lack-of-criminals/
Re: Netherlands Shuts Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals by dasparrow: 6:38pm On Jul 09, 2013
@Post

Ha! I wait for the day something like that will happen in Nigeria. Shut down prisons because they are no criminals.
Re: Netherlands Shuts Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals by antartica(m): 6:52pm On Jul 09, 2013
Because why?It is a weed friendly country and descent weed users don't think low,delusionally,violently or in anyway condescend to the level cheap criminality.

Same thing can not be said of crack,alcohol,heroine and cocaine that prolifirates places america where even having a joint of weeds is criminalized.
Re: Netherlands Shuts Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals by spenca: 6:53pm On Jul 09, 2013
where there are no laws there are no offences
Re: Netherlands Shuts Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals by Tolexander: 7:17pm On Jul 09, 2013
Instead of closing down the prisons, they can export them to nigeria so that we can help them to over utilize it.

1 Like

Re: Netherlands Shuts Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jul 09, 2013
Tolexander: Instead of closing down the prisons, they can just bring them to nigeria so that we can help them to over utilize it.
abi.
Re: Netherlands Shuts Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 09, 2013
If they can grant us free entry,I am sure millions of unemployed,hopeless Nigerian youths will be grateful to occupy those prisons

1 Like

Re: Netherlands Shuts Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals by Temismith(f): 9:09pm On Jul 09, 2013
Abeg make dem borrow us deir prisons for d main time befor we become like dem. undecided sad
Re: Netherlands Shuts Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 09, 2013
Instead of closing the prisons,they should just come to Nigeria and make announcement that anyone who wants free permanent residence would stay in their prison for 5 years first. who no like better thing? grin
Re: Netherlands Shuts Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals by cecegorz(m): 9:55pm On Jul 09, 2013
Can't Nigeria lease the prisons for 100 years tenure?
We have over-capacity here and they are growing astronomically.
Minister of Interior and his Foreign affairs counter part should work on a bilateral deal here, it's a great opportunity out there.
Re: Netherlands Shuts Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals by stebell(m): 10:15pm On Jul 09, 2013
Kamanda: If they can grant us free entry,I am sure millions of unemployed,hopeless Nigerian youths will be grateful to occupy those prisons
My guy yu jus said my mind. Like seriouly, some naija guys wud prefer going there and be locked up to dis country wit no hope for de masses. Can't stop laffing @ ur post tho.
Re: Netherlands Shuts Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals by Les: 10:31pm On Jul 09, 2013
But in nija here, all prisons are overcrowded angry were did we go wrong
Re: Netherlands Shuts Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jul 09, 2013
The topic made me smile wistfully. . . .with regretful thoughts of my beloved hell-hole of a country called Nigeria.

Heaven and hell are both right here on earth, to be honest.
Re: Netherlands Shuts Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals by mrman2(m): 12:34am On Jul 10, 2013
Kiriki too will soon shut down. grin
Re: Netherlands Shuts Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals by toms94(m): 6:03pm On Jul 10, 2013
now i believe in the article tagged hell: a place called home#naija#...here we cry f overcrowding,yet a country z shutin down prisons due to shortage f criminals....i guess this jxt diferentiates btw paradise#netherland n hell#nigeria
Re: Netherlands Shuts Down Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals by wildikeman(m): 5:05pm On Dec 23, 2014
cecegorz:
Can't Nigeria lease the prisons for 100 years tenure?
We have over-capacity here and they are growing astronomically.
Minister of Interior and his Foreign affairs counter part should work on a bilateral deal here, it's a great opportunity out there.
dutch prison lottery! Its on. Visit dis web www.iamdesperatefornetherlandsvisa.com e fit b u oo

(1) (Reply)

New Poll Shows That Idiot, Incompetent,liar Are The Words Used To Describe Trump / Photos: I Killed Princess Diana On The Order Of The Uk Royal Family – Mi5 Agent / See What President-elect Joe Biden Just Posted That Has Caused Reactions From Pe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.