Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,337 members, 7,907,854 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 03:23 PM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (519719 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 1:39pm On Sep 03, 2013
Good day V.O, not sure where to start from, in 2004 I was denied a student visa, in 2005 an immigrant visa my step mum filed for me but I was denied due to wrong documentation by my Dad. 2010 my Dad became a U.S citizen and he has filed since then but till now as I speak no response from the homeland yet. Earlier this year I applied for a tourist visa and was denied. I have been to several countries on holiday. U.K 2yrs multiple visa, Netherlands, Dubai. My twin brother applied for a business visa and he was granted. Am still not sure why I can't get a U.S Visit visa.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 1:41pm On Sep 03, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by current? I just meant it should be an open, existing, active account, not a statement from 2011 or something. My apologies if I misunderstood. smiley

Okay then, whew. Was a bit worried there smiley. Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by riteaide: 1:49pm On Sep 03, 2013
VisaOfficer:

My advice will always be to be completely honest. Yes, having a sibling who's in the U.S. kind of sort of illegally at the moment will be a mark against your brother in the interview; but it's better than not admitting it, and having the interviewing officer find out he's trying to hide it. Anyway, I imagine USCIS will make you an LPR in the near future, so soon your brother will be able to say "I have a sister who's a Legal Permanent Resident."

I do feel better about this now and will wait. Your response has better-positioned my thoughts. Thank you soooo much. Your words are kind and soothing. I wish all COs were like you!!! smiley

I appreciate your advice. Have a great week.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 2:30pm On Sep 03, 2013
kaydguru: Good day V.O, not sure where to start from, in 2004 I was denied a student visa, in 2005 an immigrant visa my step mum filed for me but I was denied due to wrong documentation by my Dad. 2010 my Dad became a U.S citizen and he has filed since then but till now as I speak no response from the homeland yet. Earlier this year I applied for a tourist visa and was denied. I have been to several countries on holiday. U.K 2yrs multiple visa, Netherlands, Dubai. My twin brother applied for a business visa and he was granted. Am still not sure why I can't get a U.S Visit visa.

Greetings! It may be quite difficult for you to obtain a non-immigrant visa. Clearly, you are an intending immigrant; it may be difficult for you to convince an interviewing officer that you wouldn't overstay if you were issued a non-immigrant visa. The good news is that your previous denials wouldn't negatively affect the petition your father's filing for you (unless, of course, you were refused for committing a crime, which would open a whole different box of problems). Best of luck to you!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by obicentlis: 3:24pm On Sep 03, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! There are really too many factors involved for me to hazard a guess without interviewing you in person. It's really impossible to say just from what you've written. Best of luck to you!
Thank you fro kind reply sir, please do understand if I ask you this question. What are the factors involve? My interest in going to US is to see Newyork city and its hustling
Life.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by feranmines: 3:35pm On Sep 03, 2013
VisaOfficer:

We don't rely on documents, but in this case it would be a good idea to bring your personal statement of account, as it's directly relevant to your travel plans. Yes, the account should be current. The discrepancy in length of stay shouldn't present a big problem if the rest of your case makes sense. I can't give you an estimate of your chances -- there are way too many factors involved. Good luck!

Thanks very much, I really appreciate Ur effort, God bless U.
Sir, you know we operate 2 type of account, current and savings account but my salary account is savings account, so, am asking if dis saving account is presentable?

Thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by feranmines: 3:39pm On Sep 03, 2013
VisaOfficer:

We don't rely on documents, but in this case it would be a good idea to bring your personal statement of account, as it's directly relevant to your travel plans. Yes, the account should be current. The discrepancy in length of stay shouldn't present a big problem if the rest of your case makes sense. I can't give you an estimate of your chances -- there are way too many factors involved. Good luck!

Sir, you know we operate 2 type of account, current and savings account but my salary account is savings account, so, am asking if dis saving account is presentable?

Thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:45pm On Sep 03, 2013
feranmines:

Thanks

Sure, it should be fine. Your ability to answer the officer's questions will be much more important than any documentation, though. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:48pm On Sep 03, 2013
obicentlis:
Thank you fro kind reply sir, please do understand if I ask you this question. What are the factors involve? My interest in going to US is to see Newyork city and its hustling
Life.

The simple answer is that you'll have to convince the interviewing officer that you intend to abide by the terms of your visa. Because everyone's situation is different, it's simply impossible for me to answer your question in this venue.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by obicentlis: 3:57pm On Sep 03, 2013
VisaOfficer:

The simple answer is that you'll have to convince the interviewing officer that you intend to abide by the terms of your visa. Because everyone's situation is different, it's simply impossible for me to answer your question in this venue.
Thanks.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by musajohn80: 6:30pm On Sep 03, 2013
VO, My friend ( who was given parole) got the travel documents today and should be traveling soon. Thanks a million for your help.God bless you always.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by gudboyz: 7:44pm On Sep 03, 2013
Hello VisaOfficer,

I was selected among the winners of DV 2012(May 1st 2011) the result was later annuled because the draw was not conducted in fairness or total randomness. Although I have already sent my form to KCC before the result was cancelled,which means I have already showed an immigration intent.

I intend to apply for non-immigrant visa soon, do you think the failed lottery result will affect my chances of securing any non-immigrant visa in the future, do you guys have our record on your system from KCC.?

Since I didn't win after the redraw it will be unfair to deny us a chance of visiting USA.

I await your clarification on this. Thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nickusmc: 12:23am On Sep 04, 2013
Hello and thanks a lot for your time. I am an Italian citizen 21yo married to a USC 42 yo had my interview in Italy for CR1 but been put in admin process (never overstayed not committed any crime in my life my wife is also a member of the NYPD). Been waiting for 7 months now. I discovered my case has been sent last month to USCIS for review. What do I have to expect? Can I also file for a tourist visa to visit my wife in the mean time? On October it will be our 2nd anniversary and we would love to spend it together..... Thanks a lot
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by srloring13: 5:40am On Sep 04, 2013
So if you are in Administrative Processing several months, at what point should you be concerned? Is there any way to check the status? How about verifying what has been done and what needs to be done?

Are any notes as to what has been done and what still needs to be done included in the files?

I have heard some people from Nigeria that have been in Administrative Processing for 6 months - 2 years. Some were in Administrative Processing even longer than that but cancelled their applications. What types of issues cause these long delays?

If there hasn't been any movement, what are our next steps?

What or which agencies need to get involved in this process and why?

Who do we contact if we can't get any resolution with the Embassy/Consulate?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by srloring13: 5:45am On Sep 04, 2013
Once an applicant/beneficiary has had an interview and all they were given was a letter stating that the application requires administrative processing, can the applicant request a second interview?

If the applicant/beneficiary wants to submit additional documents, how can that be done?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:28am On Sep 04, 2013
gudboyz: Hello VisaOfficer,

I was selected among the winners of DV 2012(May 1st 2011) the result was later annuled because the draw was not conducted in fairness or total randomness. Although I have already sent my form to KCC before the result was cancelled,which means I have already showed an immigration intent.

I intend to apply for non-immigrant visa soon, do you think the failed lottery result will affect my chances of securing any non-immigrant visa in the future, do you guys have our record on your system from KCC.?

Since I didn't win after the redraw it will be unfair to deny us a chance of visiting USA.

I await your clarification on this. Thanks

Greetings! Actually, I'm pretty sure that your 2012 result won't even show up in our system when you come for your non-immigrant interview. The only time I ever come across the cancelled 2012 cases is when I specifically go looking for them, which is time-consuming and hardly ever necessary. I don't think your DV experience will affect your NIV chances at all. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:33am On Sep 04, 2013
Nickusmc: Hello and thanks a lot for your time. I am an Italian citizen 21yo married to a USC 42 yo had my interview in Italy for CR1 but been put in admin process (never overstayed not committed any crime in my life my wife is also a member of the NYPD). Been waiting for 7 months now. I discovered my case has been sent last month to USCIS for review. What do I have to expect? Can I also file for a tourist visa to visit my wife in the mean time? On October it will be our 2nd anniversary and we would love to spend it together..... Thanks a lot

Greetings!

USCIS will review the case and contact the petitioner if they need more information. In the meantime, you can apply for a non-immigrant visa, but it may be difficult to convince the officer that you don't intend to overstay. Your best bet might be for your wife to come see you for your anniversary, rather than vice versa. Good luck to both of you.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:44am On Sep 04, 2013
srloring13 :
So if you are in Administrative Processing several months, at what point should you be concerned? Is there any way to check the status? How about verifying what has been done and what needs to be done?

Are any notes as to what has been done and what still needs to be done included in the files?

I have heard some people from Nigeria that have been in Administrative Processing for 6 months - 2 years. Some were in Administrative Processing even longer than that but cancelled their applications. What types of issues cause these long delays?

If there hasn't been any movement, what are our next steps?

What or which agencies need to get involved in this process and why?

Who do we contact if we can't get any resolution with the Embassy/Consulate?

You should only be concerned if, say, three months have passed with no word -- and even then, that's not unusual. Administrative processing is a catch-all term that refers to any processing that needs to be taken care of before we can move forward with the case... it can range from a quick divorce decree verification, to a full and complicated investigation of an adopted child's origins. Sometimes applicants have criminal histories and we need full details before we can know if they're still eligible for their particular visa category. Every case is different. We always put notes in the files, so that officers know where the case is and what still needs to be done. The notes, however, are strictly internal, and are not released to the public.

Some issues that cause long delays are the number of agencies that can be involved in handling the processing. Other issues include the difficulties in traveling around Nigeria. For instance, if we have an adoption investigation somewhere difficult to reach, it can take a long time to plan the trip and get out there. Then, sometimes, we get where we need to be, and the people we need to talk to have coincidentally ("coincidentally" ) forgotten that we were coming and traveled out of the area, so we have to reschedule. Between the size of the country and the size of our staff, planning these trips can take some time. It's very frustrating for the families, and we know that, and we do everything we can to process cases expeditiously.

You can always e-mail the Embassy or Consulate to check on the status of your case. There's really nothing you can do to speed up administrative processing. We do it because we want to adhere to U.S. immigration law, and we can't skip steps because we want to hurry. Again, I know it's frustrating. People involved in legitimate cases have nothing to worry about; it will all come out right in the end.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:46am On Sep 04, 2013
srloring13 :
Once an applicant/beneficiary has had an interview and all they were given was a letter stating that the application requires administrative processing, can the applicant request a second interview?

If the applicant/beneficiary wants to submit additional documents, how can that be done?

The applicant shouldn't request a second interview. The Embassy or Consulate will let the applicant know when they've finished the administrative processing and will invite the applicant to a follow-up interview at that time. The applicant can e-mail the Embassy or Consulate and ask to drop off the additional documents; the response may be "Please bring them to your follow-up interview; we'll contact you when it's time for that," or it may be "Yes, the sooner the better, thanks." Every case is different.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:48am On Sep 04, 2013
musajohn80: VO, My friend ( who was given parole) got the travel documents today and should be traveling soon. Thanks a million for your help.God bless you always.

Awesome, glad it worked out! smiley Did you friend tell you the secret fact she knows about my secret identity, now that we've spoken on the phone? grin (Good grief, that makes me sound like Batman.)
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Melson1: 8:40am On Sep 04, 2013
Good morning officer,but did you think consular officer who will interview him in his nest interview will give him a listening ear when he applies again for the correction of the last mistake on his ds-160 form,Pls sir your advice is needed,Good morning
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 9:35am On Sep 04, 2013
Melson1: Good morning officer,but did you think consular officer who will interview him in his nest interview will give him a listening ear when he applies again for the correction of the last mistake on his ds-160 form,Pls sir your advice is needed,Good morning

I don't think the prior mistake on his DS-160 will make any difference at all, unless there are other red flags that somehow make it important. I wouldn't worry about it.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by musajohn80: 9:37am On Sep 04, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Awesome, glad it worked out! smiley Did you friend tell you the secret fact she knows about my secret identity, now that we've spoken on the phone? grin (Good grief, that makes me sound like Batman.)

Yeah she did..still a secret though grin..Thanks once more.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 11:20am On Sep 04, 2013
Can an out-of-status student in US adjust his status after he gt selected in the DV lottery ?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 2:15pm On Sep 04, 2013
Amefrica: Can an out-of-status student in US adjust his status after he gt selected in the DV lottery ?

Being out of status is not a disqualification for the DV Lottery, actually. I honestly don't know if USCIS will let you adjust in the U.S. if you're there out of status, but the worst case scenario is that you'd have to interview for the DV in your home country. Assuming you weren't out of status long enough to incur a ban (and assuming you don't have any other ineligibilities), having been out of status won't keep you from being issued the visa. You may even be able to do it all in the U.S., but that's a part of the immigration puzzle with which I am unfamiliar.

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4762.html has more information. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 2:44pm On Sep 04, 2013
Don't forget!

Effective September 1, 2013, the DS-260 Immigrant Visa Electronic Application and the DS-261 (Choice of Address and Agent) have replaced the paper-based DS-230 Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration (parts I and II) and the DS-3032 (Choice of Address and Agent).

Beneficiaries submitting new cases that arrive at the National Visa Center (NVC) from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on or after September 1 will be instructed to complete the DS-260/261 in lieu of the DS-230/3032. Also, beneficiaries of reaffirmed cases in which the DS-230 was signed more than 12 months previously will also need to complete the DS-260. Please see http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_5164.html for more information.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 4:14pm On Sep 04, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Being out of status is not a disqualification for the DV Lottery, actually. I honestly don't know if USCIS will let you adjust in the U.S. if you're there out of status, but the worst case scenario is that you'd have to interview for the DV in your home country. Assuming you weren't out of status long enough to incur a ban (and assuming you don't have any other ineligibilities), having been out of status won't keep you from being issued the visa. You may even be able to do it all in the U.S., but that's a part of the immigration puzzle with which I am unfamiliar.

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4762.html has more information. Good luck!

Ok, thanks I really appreciate..
But I'm not talking about being over staying the duration on the VISA(Out of status) but I meant not able to register for classes due to financial problems.. Would I still have to go back to the home country ?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 4:21pm On Sep 04, 2013
Amefrica:

Ok, thanks I really appreciate..
But I'm not talking about being over staying the duration on the VISA(Out of status) but I meant not able to register for classes due to financial problems.. Would I still have to go back to the home country ?

I wish I had an answer, but I just don't know. That's a USCIS question. If you find out, please tell us...

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by valworld: 4:26pm On Sep 04, 2013
Thank you very much for the enlightenment sir, May God continue to bless u abundantly.
VisaOfficer:

I'm glad you asked that. Yes, this would be an offense under U.S. immigration law -- quite a serious one, in fact -- technically, it would be human smuggling, which incurs a permanent ineligibility. The spouse of the DV Lottery winner is only eligible to travel if they intend to continue living as husband and wife. You should definitely notify the VO.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Melson1: 5:01pm On Sep 04, 2013
Sir he said he made a mistake in his last ds-160,but he was denied, instead of using brother in his place of contact he made mistake of using friend,he is nervous if his brother petition for him from u.s won't it not affect his chances,pls sir your advice is much needed
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 5:21pm On Sep 04, 2013
Melson1: Sir he said he made a mistake in his last ds-160,but he was denied, instead of using brother in his place of contact he made mistake of using friend,he is nervous if his brother petition for him from u.s won't it not affect his chances,pls sir your advice is much needed

Are you asking if a previous denial would adversely affect an immigrant petition filed on his behalf by his brother? If so, no worries, that type of mistake would not affect the immigrant petition.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Melson1: 6:54pm On Sep 04, 2013
sir,the son of my late uncle is a u.s citizen, he sent an invitation letter to her mother,but my uncle is now late,as in his wife is now a widow,pls sir in filling of her ds-160 non immigrant form what will be on her marital status now the husband is late,is it married or widowed,she is confuse in what to feel,but she has her late husband's death certificate,pls sir your advice is needed

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (66)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.