Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,368 members, 7,907,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 05:19 PM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (519733 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by usef83: 1:27pm On Sep 09, 2013
sir,instead of male the certificate was mistakenly printed as female so the school has to pasted (fe) in replace of male..every other information on the certificate are okay..dis is my own suggestion...but when asked from the school authority they refer me to waec office
of which they cannot reissue another one...sir wat can it be done in this case..your advice is seriously needed...thanks.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by OlalereTosin(f): 2:20pm On Sep 09, 2013
Thanx alot CO. And am still waiting for your response on how to contact them on phone. Forget to u the most important aspect of the whole scenario is that my Marriage certificate is still with the CO that interviewed us that day
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by OlalereTosin(f): 2:20pm On Sep 09, 2013
Thanx alot CO. And am still waiting for your response on how to contact them on phone. Forgot to u the most important aspect of the whole scenario is that my Marriage certificate is still with the CO that interviewed us that day
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Melson1: 3:11pm On Sep 09, 2013
thank you so much sir for the help you are rendering to us,Sir for the birth certificate,marriage or death certificate,will it be issued in a local government or federal government,pls Sir your advice is needed
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by srloring13: 3:21pm On Sep 09, 2013
I have a question in regards to the medical. If the applicant was required to take a Sputum Test, does that change the validity period of the underlying medical? Or is the Sputum Test only valid for 3 months and the medicals for 6 months.

The results of the Sputum Test were negative.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 4:58pm On Sep 09, 2013
vtdluv:
Good morning Co,

Trust u had great weekend, Thank you so much for your response.I followed the link you provided but still unable to access the form ds-260.I provided my nvc case number as required but could not input the nvc invoice id number which i assumed was the INS Reciept number (same as the USCIS reciept number) stated on the letter my petitioner recieved from NVC. The space provided did not match our Uscis reciept number. Kindly assist.Many Thanks.

Guess what! Thanks to you, vtdluv, yes, you personally, http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html is being corrected . K applicants do not need to fill out the DS-260 -- that's an error. All they need is the DS-156 and DS-156K. If you go to http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visa_forms.html you can download the information packet for K applicants (it's too big to attach to this post). Thank you for getting me to track down an answer so we could get the correct information out to all the K applicants in the world! cheesy
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 4:59pm On Sep 09, 2013
Olalere Tosin: Thank u so much sir.......Cos we have send a mail since 13days bk bt no response. Pls how can we contact them cos my husband didn't even saved the number. And all the numbers i gathered 2day to call wasn't getting through. Ex. 012615697. Thanks alot

Please send another e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov so we can follow up. Thanks!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 5:02pm On Sep 09, 2013
daprof2: I'm a married woman here in Nigeria with two kids, I have a close citizen friend in US..network to be precise, his willing to help my younger brother who just finish serving to come to US sir.......pls what are the steps we should take sir...steps for both my friend and I....

permanent relocating sir

Your friend cannot help you or your brother immigrate to the United States. You would need someone to file an immigrant petition on your behalf, and friends do not qualify. In general, to be eligible to apply for an immigrant visa, a foreign citizen must be sponsored by a U.S. citizen relative(s), U.S. lawful permanent resident, or by a prospective employer, and be the beneficiary of an approved petition filed with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1326.html has more information about the types of immigrant visa categories that are available.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 5:04pm On Sep 09, 2013
usef83: sir,instead of male the certificate was mistakenly printed as female so the school has to pasted (fe) in replace of male..every other information on the certificate are okay..dis is my own suggestion...but when asked from the school authority they refer me to waec office
of which they cannot reissue another one...sir wat can it be done in this case..your advice is seriously needed...thanks.

If that is the only discrepancy, you shouldn't have a problem -- especially if your name is clearly a female name. I know that many names can be used for both men and women, though. Even so, if everything else is in order, that alone will not be grounds for disqualification. Just be prepared to explain. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 5:06pm On Sep 09, 2013
Olalere Tosin: Thanx alot CO. And am still waiting for your response on how to contact them on phone. Forgot to u the most important aspect of the whole scenario is that my Marriage certificate is still with the CO that interviewed us that day

Greetings! Please keep in mind that this thread has become very long and I can't always find the original question. Whenever you post, please make sure that your question is obvious in the new post, so that we don't have to go searching backward through all these pages. In any case, the best way to contact us is always by e-mail, LagosIV@state.gov.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 5:07pm On Sep 09, 2013
Melson1: thank you so much sir for the help you are rendering to us,Sir for the birth certificate,marriage or death certificate,will it be issued in a local government or federal government,pls Sir your advice is needed

Usually the documents come from a local government office. In some cases (I'm thinking of the NPR birth certificates) they'll be issued at a federal level, but most documents are issued locally.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 5:08pm On Sep 09, 2013
srloring13 :
I have a question in regards to the medical. If the applicant was required to take a Sputum Test, does that change the validity period of the underlying medical? Or is the Sputum Test only valid for 3 months and the medicals for 6 months.

The results of the Sputum Test were negative.

If the sputum test results were negative, I believe that the medical report is good for six months. If, however, the results were positive and the person requires treatment, it's three months. I'll double-check, though...
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Fortsucc(f): 5:13pm On Sep 09, 2013
Well done sir, it is possible to denial visa because of inadequate skill after meeting the minimum requirement. 5 credit in SSCE? What is the meaning of inadequate skill and what can be done to that situation? Thanks for your reply sir.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 5:20pm On Sep 09, 2013
Fortsucc: Well done sir, it is possible to denial visa because of inadequate skill after meeting the minimum requirement. 5 credit in SSCE? What is the meaning of inadequate skill and what can be done to that situation? Thanks for your reply sir.

It is possible to fail to convince the interviewing officer that the documents submitted are genuine, if the applicant is completely unable to talk about his or her secondary school experience. Look at it this way: I'm pretty sure that I could convince you that I went to high school, even without documents. I don't remember everything I studied, but I can tell you what my favorite class was, how many classes I usually had per day, and why I got such a low grade in physics my senior year after doing pretty well in my other science classes (true story). On the other hand, someone with great documents who can't have a conversation about what high school was like will probably have a rough time during the interview.

3 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by OlalereTosin(f): 5:50pm On Sep 09, 2013
Tanx so much my CO.......I really do appreciate it. I checked d ceac website just now and my status is updated 2day as wel, making the 5th update bt till AP. Pls sir what does the updating implies?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 6:07pm On Sep 09, 2013
Olalere Tosin: Tanx so much my CO.......I really do appreciate it. I checked d ceac website just now and my status is updated 2day as wel, making the 5th update bt till AP. Pls sir what does the updating implies?

I've been assuming you're an immigrant visa applicant. What visa category are you applying for?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by vtdluv: 6:19pm On Sep 09, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]
VisaOfficer:

Guess what! Thanks to you, vtdluv, yes, you personally, http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html is being corrected . K applicants do not need to fill out the DS-260 -- that's an error. All they need is the DS-156 and DS-156K. If you go to http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visa_forms.html you can download the information packet for K applicants (it's too big to attach to this post). Thank you for getting me to track down an answer so we could get the correct information out to all the K applicants in the world! cheesy

@Co,

Yipee glad too and i also got this clarified but on the other hand my fiancé already emailed and called NVC and he was given my invoice number but i guess it doesnt hurt to have that too. Many Thanks again . Next step is facing one of your colleagues.

Regards.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by OlalereTosin(f): 6:34pm On Sep 09, 2013
Using myself to laugh already ve really exhausted u to much 2day, so sorry about that. Dv2013, that's y am so anxious 2 knw
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by OlalereTosin(f): 6:34pm On Sep 09, 2013
Using myself to laugh already my CO ve really exhausted u to much 2day, so sorry about that. Dv2013, that's y am so anxious 2 knw. Thank u sirrrr
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by hastron: 6:39pm On Sep 09, 2013
VisaOfficer:

You can certainly apply for a non-immigrant visa, but it may be difficult for you to convince the visa officer that you are just planning a visit. You will need to show VERY strong ties to Nigeria to overcome the perception that you are an intending immigrant. It's not impossible, but it is quite difficult.

VO i really appreciate your response,i need to know the steps to take if my wife wants to file for me and how long this process would take, the distance is really tearing my family apart.Please i need your reply Asap, i had to buy her a return ticket recently just to see my son,the boy has missed two of his immunization already,they would be going back soon,so we are really hoping there's something that can be done. thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by daprof2: 6:41pm On Sep 09, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Your friend cannot help you or your brother immigrate to the United States. You would need someone to file an immigrant petition on your behalf, and friends do not qualify. In general, to be eligible to apply for an immigrant visa, a foreign citizen must be sponsored by a U.S. citizen relative(s), U.S. lawful permanent resident, or by a prospective employer, and be the beneficiary of an approved petition filed with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1326.html has more information about the types of immigrant visa categories that are available.
....OK thank you very much sir for spending out of your little time to respond to my question......thank you sir........sorry for bothering again sir, what of non-immigrant sir? Can he help my brother?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Fortsucc(f): 7:13pm On Sep 09, 2013
Thank you very much sir,for taking your time to explain deeply.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by papaadex: 9:36pm On Sep 09, 2013
Thank you for your kind gesture, it is real service for humanity.Please ,I know that someone who has immigrant visa process awaiting is ineligible to apply for non-immigrant. Please ,I want to know if the same rules is applicable to DV lottery.I want to know if I am eligible to put in for DV lottery.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by pejumi85: 1:40am On Sep 10, 2013
you are a blessing on this forum, and i have been following all the advice you have been giving in a very dedicated manner. thanking you in advance. Do you still end in September, or have your superiors allowed you to go on for longer? I am married to a USC and he has filed a petition for me, problem is I visited him on my visitors visa and have overstayed my 6 months. This happened because I got pregnant and started having pregnancy sicknesses that were ongoing. My mother would love to come and visit me, and support me during this tough time, but am worried that she might be denied when asked about her daughter. Are there usually cases of compassion in such cases? really sick as i type this too, i am just looking for help and honest advice. thank you and look forward to hearing from you
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by usef83: 7:06am On Sep 10, 2013
sir, thank u so much for your kind respond ,the name was clearly written as male n the certificate belongs to a male not female.thanks once again..peace.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:41am On Sep 10, 2013
Olalere Tosin: Using myself to laugh already my CO ve really exhausted u to much 2day, so sorry about that. Dv2013, that's y am so anxious 2 knw. Thank u sirrrr

That's okay -- it's why I'm here! I really don't know why the DV website would be showing you any updates. Once the cases are shipped to us, we make notes in the computer, but they're *our* notes -- they don't update on external sites. I really don't know what the updates you're seeing might mean. What's the http address that you're looking at?

Have you had a chance to e-mail us? It can take a few days to get a response...
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:43am On Sep 10, 2013
hastron:

VO i really appreciate your response,i need to know the steps to take if my wife wants to file for me and how long this process would take, the distance is really tearing my family apart.Please i need your reply Asap, i had to buy her a return ticket recently just to see my son,the boy has missed two of his immunization already,they would be going back soon,so we are really hoping there's something that can be done. thanks

If your wife is a Legal Permanent Resident, she should follow the instructions at the USCIS website to file for you. The link is: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=75783e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=75783e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:44am On Sep 10, 2013
daprof2: ....OK thank you very much sir for spending out of your little time to respond to my question......thank you sir........sorry for bothering again sir, what of non-immigrant sir? Can he help my brother?

Your brother (and you as well!) can apply for a non-immigrant visa, but that's not something anyone can help him with. He'll have to qualify based on his own merits, showing that he has strong ties to Nigeria and that he intends to abide by the terms of the visa.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:49am On Sep 10, 2013
papaadex: Thank you for your kind gesture, it is real service for humanity.Please ,I know that someone who has immigrant visa process awaiting is ineligible to apply for non-immigrant. Please ,I want to know if the same rules is applicable to DV lottery.I want to know if I am eligible to put in for DV lottery.

Actually, you can still apply for a non-immigrant visa if you have an immigrant visa pending. It's a little more difficult to show that you intend to return to your home country, but it's not impossible. As for the Diversity Visa program, it has very little effect on your non-immigrant application if you've applied for the DV Lottery. In my personal opinion, the only DV-related situation that would bias me against a non-immigrant application is if the person had won the DV and then been refused the visa (for not having the necessary qualifications, or especially for fraud). That, to me, would indicate someone who really wanted to go to the U.S. and who might not use the non-immigrant visa as intended. Even then, however, I can imagine situations where I would still issue the non-immigrant visa.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:55am On Sep 10, 2013
pejumi85: you are a blessing on this forum, and i have been following all the advice you have been giving in a very dedicated manner. thanking you in advance. Do you still end in September, or have your superiors allowed you to go on for longer?

I'm having a lot of fun, so I think I'll keep right on going until someone explicitly tells me to stop! grin

I am married to a USC and he has filed a petition for me, problem is I visited him on my visitors visa and have overstayed my 6 months. This happened because I got pregnant and started having pregnancy sicknesses that were ongoing. My mother would love to come and visit me, and support me during this tough time, but am worried that she might be denied when asked about her daughter. Are there usually cases of compassion in such cases? really sick as i type this too, i am just looking for help and honest advice. thank you and look forward to hearing from you

So you're in the United States now? If so, you can contact USCIS and ask for permission to extend your stay, especially if you're ill. As for your mother, as long as she convinces the interviewing officer that she intends to return to Nigeria and that she can afford the trip, your situation shouldn't have a negative effect on the interview. Let us know how it goes!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Melson1: 10:24am On Sep 10, 2013
Good morning Sir,my friend whom i told you that made a mistake in his previous Ds-160 in th previous application,his brothers name was on his u.s point of contact but he made a mistake by indicating friend instead of brother in his last application,he reapplied yesterday at the bank Gtb bank,he now want to correct the former mistake by using his brothers name which is in the prior ds-160 as friend instead of brother,Sir hope there will be no problem in his interview and new application now that he is indicating his brother with the same name,or should he ask the V.O that will interview him for the the correction of the former one,as his brother has petitioned for him now even when he goes to the immigrant interview,will the previous mistake in Ds-160 affect his chances in immigrant interview,pls SIR your advice is needed,thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Melson1: 11:46am On Sep 10, 2013
Sir,if someone was denied a non immigrant visa base on section 214 and reapplied again when he start filling Ds-160 and get to Have you ever been refused a U.S. Visa, or been refused admission to the United States, or withdrawn your application for admission at the port of entry?what will be likely to explain in the column,pls sir your advice is needed

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (66)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.