Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,552 members, 7,972,089 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 11:04 PM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (521348 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by osashilton: 10:36pm On Sep 11, 2013
VisaOfficer:

You know, if she files for you while she is still an LPR, your petition will convert from F2B to F1 when she naturalizes, and you'll have an earlier priority date.... cool All perfectly above-board and legal.

Confusing, I don't get, earlier priority date? Earlier than the 7yrs waiting time? Cos she hasn't filed yet, she just applied for citizenship a week ago and said she wuld file once she gets her citizenship. Dis still dosnt change the current waiting time! Am I right sir? And "all perfectly above-board and legal" what does this sentence mean sir? In simpler english sir, no offense smiley
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by srloring13: 10:50pm On Sep 11, 2013
I would like to talk to someone about my husbands visa. When I arrive at the consulate, who do I need to talk to?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by jennpar2013: 12:11am On Sep 12, 2013
I am a U.S. citizen and my fiance lives in Nigeria. We plan to get married before the end of year in Nigeria. I will be there on a tourist visa and will have to return to U.S. I want to know what steps to take to get him to U.S. with me once we are married in Nigeria. Thank you.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by ikjay: 3:50am On Sep 12, 2013
Good Day Sir/ Ma, please i just got my case number should i email Lagos Embassy on there email which is lagosIV@state.gov? And please how many copies would i print of the DS 156 and DS156k Non immigrant fiance visa form? Also could you kindly enlighten me more about some question been ask in the form of DS156 which is below;

Hello Good day Sir/ Ma. 22. When do you intend to arrive in the U.S.?
(Provide specific date if known) (dd-mmm-yyyy)

26. How long do you intend to
stay in the U.S.?

27. What is the purpose of your trip?

32. Do you intend to work in the U.S.?
(If YES, give the name and complete address of U.S. employer.)

33. Do you intend to study in the U.S.?
(If YES, give the name and complete address of the school.)
Has your U.S. visa ever been cancelled or revoked?

36. Has anyone ever filed an immigrant visa petition on your behalf?

37. Are any of the following persons in the U.S., or do they have U.S. legal permanent residence or U.S. citizenship?
Mark YES or NO and indicate that person's status in the U.S. (i.e., U.S. legal permanent resident, U.S. citizen, visiting, studying, working, etc.).
Yes No Husband/Wife?
Yes No Father/Mother?
Yes No Fiance/ Fiancee?
Yes No Son/Daughter?
Brother/Sister?

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by usef83: 7:07am On Sep 12, 2013
mornin,sir.pls any official confirmation for october selection yet..thanx.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Godsspeed: 7:29am On Sep 12, 2013
Good Morning Sir, and thank you so much for your immense help to us here! Please on the D230 form I sent to the KCC, for the place of birth, I filled: City: Lagos, Province: Lagos. This is because I was born in Lagos at a hospital in Ikeja. Please, am I correct, or does the city suppose to read 'Ikeja', if so, please what do I do? Thanks for your invaluable advise!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:16am On Sep 12, 2013
ifecx4real: Good day Mr VO,
Please my younger sister's were scheduled for their DNA sample collection today, but sis1 is about to marry and the husband doesn't approve the continuation of her IV processing, so as a result only sis2 went for the DNA sample collection. so while she was there, someone said that sis1 not coming for the DNA sample collection might lead to the embassy thinking that our mother isn't the biological mother and as a result might not give her visa.

please i would like to know if sis1 missing her DNA sample collection and canceling her visa application might lead to IV refusal for sis2.
Thanks and GOD bless

Assuming that the DNA results show that sis2 is the biological child of the mother, the fact that sis1 isn't continuing with the case won't make any difference to sis2's visa. Thanks!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:20am On Sep 12, 2013
Melson1: Thank you so much Sir.he did not have any issues in his application other than that,is just that he is nervous of the the mistake he made in his previous application by indicating his brothers name as a friend now his brother has petitioned for him,f it will bring up any issues,and the visa agent he went to ask him to give them 250thousand naira for them to write to the embassy for the correction of the previous ds-160 form,thank sir your advice is needed

250 thousand naira? Really? Please tell the visa agent that he is an unethical scam artist who ought to get a real job, instead of scaring people and trying to extort ridiculous amounts of money over details that won't make any difference at all. I don't see how that man sleeps at night.

Seriously, everyone: I can understand people charging a nominal fee for the use of their computers or for their assistance with application forms, but if the agents are asking for more than the cost of the visa application itself, chances are they're just scamming you. Nothing visa-related should cost that much money. Shame on that guy.

3 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:25am On Sep 12, 2013
osashilton:

Confusing, I don't get, earlier priority date? Earlier than the 7yrs waiting time? Cos she hasn't filed yet, she just applied for citizenship a week ago and said she wuld file once she gets her citizenship. Dis still dosnt change the current waiting time! Am I right sir? And "all perfectly above-board and legal" what does this sentence mean sir? In simpler english sir, no offense smiley

If your mother is already an LPR and files TODAY, the priority date will be Sept. 12, 2013, for your F2B visa. Then when she naturalizes, even if it's a year from now, you will convert to the F1 category, and your priority date will still be Sept. 12, 2013.

If she waits until she naturalizes, you'll be in the F1 category from the very beginning, but your priority date will be later because your mother waited to file.

So if she files now, it's almost like jumping the queue because you know you'll have an earlier priority date even though you'll end up processing as an F1. But you're not actually jumping the queue or doing anything unethical or illegal; you're just being smart.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:27am On Sep 12, 2013
srloring13 :
I would like to talk to someone about my husbands visa. When I arrive at the consulate, who do I need to talk to?

We do not answer inquiries about visa cases in person. American citizens with visa inquiries or Legal Permanent Residents requiring assistance with their travel documents should direct their inquiries to LagosIV@state.gov.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:42am On Sep 12, 2013
jennpar2013: I am a U.S. citizen and my fiance lives in Nigeria. We plan to get married before the end of year in Nigeria. I will be there on a tourist visa and will have to return to U.S. I want to know what steps to take to get him to U.S. with me once we are married in Nigeria. Thank you.

Congratulations! You'll need to file an I-130 petition for alien spouse through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Their website is http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis -- scroll down to "Family of U.S. Citizens."
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:44am On Sep 12, 2013
i.kjay:
Good Day Sir/ Ma, please i just got my case number should i email Lagos Embassy on there email which is lagosIV@state.gov? And please how many copies would i print of the DS 156 and DS156k Non immigrant fiance visa form? Also could you kindly enlighten me more about some question been ask in the form of DS156 which is below;

Hello Good day Sir/ Ma. 22. When do you intend to arrive in the U.S.?
(Provide specific date if known) (dd-mmm-yyyy)

26. How long do you intend to
stay in the U.S.?

27. What is the purpose of your trip?

32. Do you intend to work in the U.S.?
(If YES, give the name and complete address of U.S. employer.)

33. Do you intend to study in the U.S.?
(If YES, give the name and complete address of the school.)
Has your U.S. visa ever been cancelled or revoked?

36. Has anyone ever filed an immigrant visa petition on your behalf?

37. Are any of the following persons in the U.S., or do they have U.S. legal permanent residence or U.S. citizenship?
Mark YES or NO and indicate that person's status in the U.S. (i.e., U.S. legal permanent resident, U.S. citizen, visiting, studying, working, etc.).
Yes No Husband/Wife?
Yes No Father/Mother?
Yes No Fiance/ Fiancee?
Yes No Son/Daughter?
Brother/Sister?

Greetings! Yes, go ahead and e-mail LagosIV@state.gov, and we'll send you the information on making an appointment, etc. You'll need to submit two copies of the DS-156 and one of the DS-156k.

I can't help you answer the questions on the DS-156. Just fill them out to the best of your ability.

Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:47am On Sep 12, 2013
usef83: mornin,sir.pls any official confirmation for october selection yet..thanx.

Are you asking if there will be a 2015 DV season? No news yet and I am DYING to get an official answer one way or the other.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:48am On Sep 12, 2013
Godsspeed: Good Morning Sir, and thank you so much for your immense help to us here! Please on the D230 form I sent to the KCC, for the place of birth, I filled: City: Lagos, Province: Lagos. This is because I was born in Lagos at a hospital in Ikeja. Please, am I correct, or does the city suppose to read 'Ikeja', if so, please what do I do? Thanks for your invaluable advise!

Either way is fine. Technically you were born in the city of Lagos, so your answer is perfectly appropriate.

Best of luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by osashilton: 8:55am On Sep 12, 2013
VisaOfficer:

If your mother is already an LPR and files TODAY, the priority date will be Sept. 12, 2013, for your F2B visa. Then when she naturalizes, even if it's a year from now, you will convert to the F1 category, and your priority date will still be Sept. 12, 2013.

If she waits until she naturalizes, you'll be in the F1 category from the very beginning, but your priority date will be later because your mother waited to file.

So if she files now, it's almost like jumping the queue because you know you'll have an earlier priority date even though you'll end up processing as an F1. But you're not actually jumping the queue or doing anything unethical or illegal; you're just being smart.
I hv forwarded this message for her to view and act ASAP. Thnks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 9:04am On Sep 12, 2013
grin
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Obatide(m): 9:22am On Sep 12, 2013
Weldone consular officer.
Guess you had a wonderful night?
Pls I would want to know what process is involved for someone on DV2014 category whose interview may be in NOVEMBER but Delivered a new baby in SEPTEMBER (note that months used here are just instances).
Do they need to update KCC on the pregnancy and other information needed?
Thank you
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 10:02am On Sep 12, 2013
Obatide: Weldone consular officer.
Guess you had a wonderful night?
Pls I would want to know what process is involved for someone on DV2014 category whose interview may be in NOVEMBER but Delivered a new baby in SEPTEMBER (note that months used here are just instances).
Do they need to update KCC on the pregnancy and other information needed?
Thank you

The person doesn't need to inform KCC about the pregnancy, but after the baby is born, s/he should let KCC know the name and date of birth so that the baby can be included in the case.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Obatide(m): 10:04am On Sep 12, 2013
VisaOfficer:

The person doesn't need to inform KCC about the pregnancy, but after the baby is born, s/he should let KCC know the name and date of birth so that the baby can be included in the case.

Thanks so much.
but what documentations will be required from less than 2months old baby pls?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 10:22am On Sep 12, 2013
Obatide:

Thanks so much.
but what documentations will be required from less than 2months old baby pls?

At the time of the interview, the baby will need a passport, visa photos, DS-230, birth certificate, and medical report.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Obatide(m): 10:25am On Sep 12, 2013
VisaOfficer:

At the time of the interview, the baby will need a passport, visa photos, DS-230, birth certificate, and medical report.
Thank you
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by feranmines: 10:28am On Sep 12, 2013
Tanks 4 been there VO, I really appreciate Ur effort sir. Just want 2 ask a question, I applied for B1B2 visa, I am married but ve lost d marriage certificate, although I still ve a photocopy with me, do I need to process another certificate or make an affidavit and come 2 d interview with d photocopy? More so, d birth date on my marriage certificate is different from d one on my passport, d birth date on my passport is d real age. Sir, can dis be a big issue?

Thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 10:39am On Sep 12, 2013
feranmines: Tanks 4 been there VO, I really appreciate Ur effort sir. Just want 2 ask a question, I applied for B1B2 visa, I am married but ve lost d marriage certificate, although I still ve a photocopy with me, do I need to process another certificate or make an affidavit and come 2 d interview with d photocopy? More so, d birth date on my marriage certificate is different from d one on my passport, d birth date on my passport is d real age. Sir, can dis be a big issue?

Thanks

I don't see why you would need to bring your marriage certificate to a non-immigrant visa interview at all. If for any reason the visa officer asks about your marriage, you can explain the situation to him/her at that time. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by effisyman: 10:47am On Sep 12, 2013
Dear VO,

Kudos to the good job up there.

I want my wife and kids to relocate to the US, to give my kids good education and the good foundation.

I have my own business registered here, and will be here monitoring my investments.

My wife has only been to mecca for pilgrimage.

my four kids are aged 7,5,3 and 1yr old.

what do i need to do to make their travelling easy?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 10:56am On Sep 12, 2013
effisyman: Dear VO,

Kudos to the good job up there.

I want my wife and kids to relocate to the US, to give my kids good education and the good foundation.

I have my own business registered here, and will be here monitoring my investments.

My wife has only been to mecca for pilgrimage.

my four kids are aged 7,5,3 and 1yr old.

what do i need to do to make their travelling easy?

Greetings! To immigrate to the United States, you would need someone to file an immigrant petition on your behalf. http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/immigrants_1340.html is a good place to start. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 10:58am On Sep 12, 2013
Can anyone tell me if we are expecting Eid-El-Kabir to be celebrated on Oct. 15 and 16 this year? I know that we won't know for sure until closer to the dates, but is that what people are expecting? Just trying to figure out how to schedule next month...

Thanks!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Melson1: 11:17am On Sep 12, 2013
thanks sir,pls sir i want to know what will be done in the previous visa application [Ds-160]he mistakenly indicated his brother as a friend although he was denied base on Section 214,now he has applied again he want to visit his brother,if he indicate that same name as sibling,hope there will no problem on his interview,or should he ask the V.O for the correction of the former one,pls Sir your advice is needed
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by effisyman: 11:17am On Sep 12, 2013
VisaOfficer: Can anyone tell me if we are expecting Eid-El-Kabir to be celebrated on Oct. 15 and 16 this year? I know that we won't know for sure until closer to the dates, but is that what people are expecting? Just trying to figure out how to schedule next month...

Thanks!

15th and 16 oct are the likely dates for the Eid celebration.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by effisyman: 11:19am On Sep 12, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! To immigrate to the United States, you would need someone to file an immigrant petition on your behalf. http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/immigrants_1340.html is a good place to start. Good luck!

i don't have anyone in the states.

what other altrnatives?

i have the financial power.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by effisyman: 11:33am On Sep 12, 2013
Ralphlauren:

well, if you have the financial power as you claim, why not try UK.

with 200,000pounds, you can apply as an investor. but that 200,000pounds must be invested in the UK economy and you must create fulltime jobs to qualify for permanent residence

VO, sorry for derailing your thread wink

Thanks, but i don't have N44mio to invest in UK.

Please allow the responsible to continue her good work.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by ifecx4real: 12:06pm On Sep 12, 2013
Thank you Sir, appreciate.

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (66)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.