Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,611 members, 7,941,349 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 02:54 AM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (520446 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:40am On Sep 16, 2013
Chegal: Hello, would you advice one to file an i-129 after they receive the NOA1 for i-130? Is i-129 truly obsolete? Extends the waiting time for spouses? What does priority date mean? Thanks.

Greetings! You can file an I-129 after filing the I-130, but it really doesn't shorten the wait by any appreciable degree. Right now all spouse cases are current (no waiting period), so there's no reason to file for a K3 visa.

The priority date is the date the petition was filed.

Hope this helps!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:44am On Sep 16, 2013
brudiga: hello visaofficer, a very close relative of my mum want me to come to america and she said the only way she knows(aside visa lottery) for me to come there is to do a marriage with a foreigner which she said she is going to arrange. But from your earlier post, you adviced that no one should employ that style as it is dangerous. pls i will like you to suggest to me another way she can help so that i can convey it to her in america. she has been living in america for the past 20 yrs and want me to come. i am single and i just finished my university education.thanks

If you try to come to the United States via a fraudulent marriage, you can be permanently banned from the United States, and your relative could be found guilty of attempted human smuggling and deported.

If you don't qualify for any of the visa types at http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1326.html , I advise you not to try.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:45am On Sep 16, 2013
Delph_ne: Hello visa officer my case number is 2014AF00015XXX I would please like to know when I'm likely to go for interview and also can a church based in the US be the affidavit of support for me although I listed the head pastors name..thank you

Greetings! Your interview will be very late in the DV season. DVs don't need affidavits of support, so don't worry about that.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:46am On Sep 16, 2013
tayoolufolahan: Good day Visaofficer, thanks for all you are doing here. Please I have a question its on non immigrant visa. Please kindly help if you can. I am going for a course sponsored by my company a multinational and in my application form I stated that no one is travelling with me even though my husband has paid for his visa fees and intends to travel with me. At the time I submitted my application he didn't have the approval to travel from his executive director. He is a branch manager in one of the banks. I have gotten my visa. Now my husband has the approval to go on leave and has booked his appointment for interview at the embassy. Should he state that am travelling with him in his application form?. He intends to tell the visa officer his purpose of applying for visa is vacation and also accompanying me. I hope my stating no one is travelling with me will not be an issue for him at the embassy. He has never travelled before and he has been with the bank for 6 years. Thank you.

Greetings! Your husband should just tell the truth. He could explain that his leave wasn't approved until after you had your visa interview, if it comes up. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:47am On Sep 16, 2013
Dainy1: Pls i ve some qustions. am planing on going to do my master's program. what if i want to remain there after my studies, is it posible?

Greetings! If a qualifying employer offers you a job, you could stay. Also, as much as I loathe fraudulent marriages, people do genuinely fall in love during graduate school sometimes.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by tundedaluja: 7:49am On Sep 16, 2013
thanks for the appropriate answers you have been giving here, more greese to your elbow, my question is this, now that Nigeria will nt be eligible for dv 2015, i am a Nigerian, can i be a beneficiary to my Ghanaian wife? or she should apply as single
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:49am On Sep 16, 2013
usef83: Hi,CO.Now it has been confirmed dat nigeria is not eligible for dv 2015 program...my question is..would there b october selection of mor winners..t
ill I hear from u...tax.

I'm not sure I understand your question about an October selection of more winners. 2014 winners have already been announced; Nigerians are not eligible for 2015.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:50am On Sep 16, 2013
dugbatgd: My fiancé and I just got denied a K1 at a West African US Embassy. They gave us a letter stating they are unable to issue a via at this time so we went ahead a got married since I am visiting him and we are both ready. My question is, do we still have to cancel the K1 visa or am we good to file the CR1 and if so how do I cancel the K1? Thank you so much in advance and to the Moderators and Administrators for this forum.

Greetings! Yes, you're good to file the CR1. The Embassy will take care of cancelling the K1 visa. Technically, they send the petition back to USCIS, where it will be reviewed and likely revoked; Embassies and Consulates don't actually refuse family-based petitions, they just send them back to USCIS.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:52am On Sep 16, 2013
wakes: Hello VO, My wife and I have been invited for a conference by a US company- ZIJA INTERNATIONAL taking place in October 9-15. I got a mail yesterday about Visa interview tomorrow - Sept. 17. Please what documents are we supposed to take along for the interview? Also any other advice to enable us pass the interview is highly appreciated! Many thanks in advance. Blessings!

Greetings! Bring your invitation to the conference and I guess your financial information. You all know how I feel about documents (the interview is more important; any document can be faked), but it can be a bad sign if someone has no documentation at all. Just tell the truth and if you qualify, you should be fine. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:53am On Sep 16, 2013
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:03am On Sep 16, 2013
tundedaluja: thanks for the appropriate answers you have been giving here, more greese to your elbow, my question is this, now that Nigeria will nt be eligible for dv 2015, i am a Nigerian, can i be a beneficiary to my Ghanaian wife? or she should apply as single

You can be a derivative spouse in your wife's case, yes. In fact, if she applies as single, she can be disqualified for failing to list you in her application.

Even better news for you: You can actually enter the 2015 lottery with yourself as the principal applicant and your wife as your derivative, because per the DV rules, "A spouse or child born in a country, which is not among those for which DV visas are available, may use the principal registrant’s chargeability when they are accompanying or following-to-join." So you and your wife can legally enter the lottery twice, once with her as the principal applicant and once with you as the principal applicant.

Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 9:19am On Sep 16, 2013
Hi Mr VO.
My non immigrant(F1) interview is in 2 weeks.. There's an error in my WAEC certificate.. The WAEC made mistake on my DOB, instead of 19*4 they put 19*5.. Is this going to affect me..
Note: It is only the year, all other things are correct like date, month, names..
Thanks in the anticipated response
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by auschris: 9:44am On Sep 16, 2013
How can a nigerian registered nurse who has passed the CGFNS exams and obtained the VISASCREEN certificate be able to obtain an employment based immigrant visa to the US?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 10:04am On Sep 16, 2013
Amefrica: Hi Mr VO.
My non immigrant(F1) interview is in 2 weeks.. There's an error in my WAEC certificate.. The WAEC made mistake on my DOB, instead of 19*4 they put 19*5.. Is this going to affect me..
Note: It is only the year, all other things are correct like date, month, names..
Thanks in the anticipated response

Good morning! These errors happen quite frequently, so if there are no other red flags associated with your case, this one small error should not make a difference. Best of luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 10:06am On Sep 16, 2013
auschris: How can a nigerian registered nurse who has passed the CGFNS exams and obtained the VISASCREEN certificate be able to obtain an employment based immigrant visa to the US?

A qualifying U.S. employer must file a petition on your behalf. I have no idea how employers and employees find each other; I don't come into the process until after the petition is filed. I'd imagine you could search for employment opportunities on the internet. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by valworld: 10:49am On Sep 16, 2013
thank you very much
grin
VisaOfficer:

If you're a 2014 winner, it means that they're just waiting to schedule your interview with us. They'll let you know what your appointment date will be. smiley
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by phonetics: 11:14am On Sep 16, 2013
VisaOfficer: .

Hello VisaOfficer, with this US-DV 2015 development, so what now happens to your job?! We hate to lose one of our dearest Nairalanders O! (Just pulling your legs; hope that brought a "smile-break" to you considering your job is so hectic. My way of saying you are appreciated!)

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by tundedaluja: 11:15am On Sep 16, 2013
thanks for the response, if we are selected for dv 2015, which US embassy will handle the interview? in NIGERIA OR GHANA?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by pickabeau1: 11:24am On Sep 16, 2013
If Nigeria is not eligible for dv-15, on what condition can eligibility be restored
In another 5 years?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 11:27am On Sep 16, 2013
phonetics:

Hello VisaOfficer, with this US-DV 2015 development, so what now happens to your job?! We hate to lose one of our dearest Nairalanders O! (Just pulling your legs; hope that brought a "smile-break" to you considering your job is so hectic. My way of saying you are appreciated!)

You are so sweet! I appreciate you too!

We are all looking forward to processing many, many family-based and employment-based petitions more quickly than ever before, with the shortest wait times humanly possible, as a result of this interesting news.

Anyway, we won't feel the change here in the office until Oct. 1, 2014. I plan on staying in Nigeria for a long time -- certainly long enough to experience the change...

2 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by tundedaluja: 11:28am On Sep 16, 2013
thanks for your reply, pls if we are selected for dv 2015, which US embassy will handle the visa interview? GHANA OR NIGERIA?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 11:30am On Sep 16, 2013
tundedaluja: thanks for the response, if we are selected for dv 2015, which US embassy will handle the interview? in NIGERIA OR GHANA?

Whichever country you would prefer to be interviewed in will be fine. I expect we'll continue to see DV cases here, for applicants residing in Nigeria who have chargeability elsewhere.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by tundedaluja: 11:35am On Sep 16, 2013
if we are selected, which US embassy will handle the visa interview? is it in NIGERIA OR GHANA? Thank you
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 11:35am On Sep 16, 2013
pickabeau1: If Nigeria is not eligible for dv-15, on what condition can eligibility be restored
In another 5 years?

If we fall below the threshold of 50,000 visas issued in a five-year period, Nigeria will become eligible again. It will all depend on demand. We'll process all the family-based and employment-based petitions we receive, as fast as we can process them; but if for some reason there are too few petitions to keep us above 50,000, Nigeria will regain eligibility. There's no telling when or if that will happen, but it's possible.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 11:38am On Sep 16, 2013
tundedaluja: if we are selected, which US embassy will handle the visa interview? is it in NIGERIA OR GHANA? Thank you

Either one. The case can be transferred from Ghana to Nigeria if Nigeria is where you reside.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Melson1: 4:45pm On Sep 16, 2013
Sir if Nigeria is not eligible for dv-15,will family base,immediate relative petition still be processed in u.s embassy Nigeria,pls Sir your answer is needed
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 5:06pm On Sep 16, 2013
Melson1: Sir if Nigeria is not eligible for dv-15,will family base,immediate relative petition still be processed in u.s embassy Nigeria,pls Sir your answer is needed

Family-based, immediate relative petitions will continue to be processed in Nigeria. Only Diversity Visas are going away, and not until after the 2014 DV season.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by MrsBee: 5:36pm On Sep 16, 2013
Dear @Visa Officer my husband and I were previously refused UK visas for our 10 vacation recently, we have stable jobs here in Nigeria and do not plan to run away to anywhere we just wanted to make up for the honeymoon that we missed after our wedding in march this year due to the fact that we had to resume work almost immediately after. Please advise if would affect our application for a US visa negatively.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by FunW: 6:01pm On Sep 16, 2013
Dear visa officer, is it okay for a wife to sponsor her husband for the 2years visiting visa?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by akintunde95: 6:10pm On Sep 16, 2013
@visa officeer what is chargeability
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Muycom(m): 6:58pm On Sep 16, 2013
Thank you for your reply visa officer; final interview today and the visa was denied due to human smulgging which was totally not through but to me God's time is the best. Please all my original document has not been giving to me, how do i collect them back? What pain me most was that Nigeria is eligible for dv 15,i will just apply as married so they will know that my wife is not smugling me;despite of all documents as evidences bearing my surname on my wife's document,they still believe we are not husband and wife,all is well. My second question is,did you know any other country doing dv?cause am tired of Nigeria,thanks.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Delphne(f): 9:37pm On Sep 16, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! Your interview will be very late in the DV season. DVs don't need affidavits of support, so don't worry about that.

Thank you very much

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (66)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.