Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,729 members, 7,905,677 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 04:19 PM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (519653 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by hammerh(f): 6:01pm On Sep 18, 2013
thank you VO.

Congratulations twice! Okay, we have until Sept. 30, 2014, to figure it out. Keep working on the adoption, let us know what you have left to do when you come to your interview, and we'll do what we can to include the baby in the case when the adoption is full and final.[/quote]
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Okontami: 6:38pm On Sep 18, 2013
Hello Vo, pls i have a challenge with the DS160 part for Month Salary in Local Currency: I get paid in 3 currencies. USD , NGN and CFA. My basic salary is in CFA while my monthly allowances is in NGN. My annual once off payment is in USD. These funds comes in at different period of the year. My monthly salary is the basic and not a true representation of my actual income. What should i do? Should I add these 3 monies together and divide by 12 or just convert the CFA to Naira since i will be coming back to Nigeria to apply. Even though I have a resident permit and work permit as an expat where I am . Am so so confused.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Boomshakar: 7:00pm On Sep 18, 2013
VO, pls I didn't right my name and case number on the upper right hand side of my forms sent to KCC in JUNE hope it doesn't matter? though my barcode sheet was attached with them as instructed. Secondly pls my case number is 3*** i sent my forms in June and was received by KCC in JUNE ending but have not yet received my 2NL pls when will I be current for interview.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by emmamaraihe: 8:48pm On Sep 18, 2013
goodmorning vo, how are you today? i want to know how you can be of help to this my case, last week i went to the interview, but i was found ineligible because of education and job skill said the interviewer, but i think i did the right thing, in the sense that i did not forged a fake result start tell lies, which is not good be fore my God jehovah rather i said the whole truth about myself which i stated in the form sent to kentuky that i finish my junior secondary school but due to the death of my parent i could not further i went for a biznes traing in pharmaceutical company i learn dis job for over six years n iam good at it.pls vo is it not a skill?why do they hav to do dis to me.goodmorning vo, how are you today? i want to know how you can be of help to this my case, last week i went to the interview, but i was found ineligible because of education and job skill said the interviewer, but i think i did the right thing, in the sense that i did not forged a fake result start tell lies, which is not good be fore my God jehovah rather i said the whole truth about myself which i stated in the form sent to kentuky that i finish my junior secondary school but due to the death of my parent i could not further i went for a biznes traing in pharmaceutical company i learn dis job for over six years n iam good at it.pls vo is it not a skill?why do they hav to do dis to me.goodmorning vo, how are you today? i want to know how you can be of help to this my case, last week i went to the interview, but i was found ineligible because of education and job skill said the interviewer, but i think i did the right thing, in the sense that i did not forged a fake result start tell lies, which is not good be fore my God jehovah rather i said the whole truth about myself which i stated in the form sent to kentuky that i finish my junior secondary school but due to the death of my parent i could not further i went for a biznes traing in pharmaceutical company i learn dis job for over six years n iam good at it.pls vo is it not a skill?why do they hav to do dis to me.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by bamideleniayo(m): 9:14pm On Sep 18, 2013
VO, please am new here and a friend of mine needs an urgent help.. He is one of the Lucky winners for the DV 2014 fiscal year but while filling his forms for the lottery the highest Qualification he put in was Bsc hoping he would get his results/certificate early in case he won..but now the results are not ready and the school would not listen to him.. So the qestion now is that, should he fill in jst his SSCE which he has already and submit h
is forms to KCC for processing and will KCC or even if it gets to the CO ''ASK'' of the BSc he intially entered as the highest qualification he has while entering for the loterry. His case number is 7*** .and submitting his forms now,when is he likely to be current or interviewed?. Pls help..
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Melson1: 10:36pm On Sep 18, 2013
Sir.thank you for your help you have been rendering to the people in the forum,sir my elder brother wants to get married to a u.s citizen lady,she came down here in Nigeria for the first time,so both of them decided to get engaged,now his fiancee has gone back to u.s,they are now trying to get married in Nigeria here when the lady visit for the second time,the u.s citizen lady is older than his fiance with 7years,the question now is if the 7yrs is a large gap between them,they are preparing to get married when the lady visit for her second time,pls sir your advice is needed,thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by olivialuv(m): 4:49am On Sep 19, 2013
Good morning VO thanks for your immense support on this thread, I want to ask if it is accepted for my wife to bear my first name as her surname also my child becos that is what she have on her passport too. Thanks for ur quick reply.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:44am On Sep 19, 2013
odungboriAO: Please what are the likely question the US Consular would ask me during the interview - my spouse file for me

Every officer takes his or her own approach to relationship interviews. As long as you can demonstrate that you have a reasonable amount of knowledge about your spouse, you should be fine.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:44am On Sep 19, 2013
Fortsucc: Thank you vo, I have just been called by the embassy to come next week, my question Ϟ•ώ is how am I going to enter into the embassy since I did not have any appointment letter and are they going to interview me again? Thanks for your reply in advance.

Greetings! You'll be on the entry list, don't worry. If you're who I think you are, please bring photos of your parents and your spouse's parents, okay? smiley Everyday photos, not special-occasion, airbrushed photos.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:46am On Sep 19, 2013
Okontami: Hello Vo, pls i have a challenge with the DS160 part for Month Salary in Local Currency: I get paid in 3 currencies. USD , NGN and CFA. My basic salary is in CFA while my monthly allowances is in NGN. My annual once off payment is in USD. These funds comes in at different period of the year. My monthly salary is the basic and not a true representation of my actual income. What should i do? Should I add these 3 monies together and divide by 12 or just convert the CFA to Naira since i will be coming back to Nigeria to apply. Even though I have a resident permit and work permit as an expat where I am . Am so so confused.

I'd convert the three to Naira, add them together, and divide by 12, then be ready to explain to the officer. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:49am On Sep 19, 2013
Boomshakar: VO, pls I didn't right my name and case number on the upper right hand side of my forms sent to KCC in JUNE hope it doesn't matter? though my barcode sheet was attached with them as instructed. Secondly pls my case number is 3*** i sent my forms in June and was received by KCC in JUNE ending but have not yet received my 2NL pls when will I be current for interview.

You should contact KCC and ask for their advice. They may not be able to track your forms if you didn't write your name and case number on them....

"If you need to contact the KCC, always refer to your name and case number exactly as they appear on your original Selectee Letter. Your case number should be clearly written in the upper right hand corner of all documents and correspondence sent to the KCC. The KCC telephone number is 606-526-7500 (7:30am until 4:00pm EST), or send an E-mail inquiry to KCCDV@state.gov."
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:50am On Sep 19, 2013
emmamaraihe: goodmorning vo, how are you today? i want to know how you can be of help to this my case, last week i went to the interview, but i was found ineligible because of education and job skill said the interviewer, but i think i did the right thing, in the sense that i did not forged a fake result start tell lies, which is not good be fore my God jehovah rather i said the whole truth about myself which i stated in the form sent to kentuky that i finish my junior secondary school but due to the death of my parent i could not further i went for a biznes traing in pharmaceutical company i learn dis job for over six years n iam good at it.pls vo is it not a skill?why do they hav to do dis to me.

Again, I'm glad you told the truth. That means that when you apply for other visas in the future, we will have it on record that you are an honest person. But you do not qualify academically or through your work experience for a Diversity Visa, unfortunately.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:52am On Sep 19, 2013
bamideleniayo: VO, please am new here and a friend of mine needs an urgent help.. He is one of the Lucky winners for the DV 2014 fiscal year but while filling his forms for the lottery the highest Qualification he put in was Bsc hoping he would get his results/certificate early in case he won..but now the results are not ready and the school would not listen to him.. So the qestion now is that, should he fill in jst his SSCE which he has already and submit h
is forms to KCC for processing and will KCC or even if it gets to the CO ''ASK'' of the BSc he intially entered as the highest qualification he has while entering for the loterry. His case number is 7*** .and submitting his forms now,when is he likely to be current or interviewed?. Pls help..

As long as he can demonstrate credibly that he has a high school education, it won't matter if his Bsc results are unavailable.

If 2014 progresses like 2013, I'd guess his interview would be in March or April, more or less.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:01am On Sep 19, 2013
Melson1: Sir.thank you for your help you have been rendering to the people in the forum,sir my elder brother wants to get married to a u.s citizen lady,she came down here in Nigeria for the first time,so both of them decided to get engaged,now his fiancee has gone back to u.s,they are now trying to get married in Nigeria here when the lady visit for the second time,the u.s citizen lady is older than his fiance with 7years,the question now is if the 7yrs is a large gap between them,they are preparing to get married when the lady visit for her second time,pls sir your advice is needed,thanks

The seven year difference isn't a big deal, if your brother can credibly explain how in the world they met and why in the world he would propose to someone the first time they saw each other in person...

If it's a bona fide relationship and not just for immigration purposes, he shouldn't worry.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:02am On Sep 19, 2013
olivialuv: Good morning VO thanks for your immense support on this thread, I want to ask if it is accepted for my wife to bear my first name as her surname also my child becos that is what she have on her passport too. Thanks for ur quick reply.

We're mostly concerned with making sure that people aren't hiding their true identities, and that their claimed relationships are bona fide. Your wife should be fine. If she receives a visa it will be printed in whatever name appears on the passport. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by joechima: 8:38am On Sep 19, 2013
Visa officer Sir,pls is marrying my spouse a USC on a first time visit a red flag considering the huge financial burden of several visits,and is her being there with me during the interview considered as well being a bonafide relationship,provided I am able to proof the relationship is real
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by WileECoyote: 9:01am On Sep 19, 2013
I accompanied my Spouse to the interview recently.

Had nothing but good feedback for the staff that was encountered. The interpreter was a God sent and we are indubitably eternally grateful.

I wasn't allowed to join the interview as expected but I used the restroom and the staff for that process was very professional.

It was emotional for me to see our flag at half mast.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 9:05am On Sep 19, 2013
joechima: Visa officer Sir,pls is marrying my spouse a USC on a first time visit a red flag considering the huge financial burden of several visits,and is her being there with me during the interview considered as well being a bonafide relationship,provided I am able to proof the relationship is real

We do understand the financial burden. Your spouse will likely not be permitted inside the building for your interview, but the fact that she has returned to Nigeria to visit you after the wedding will add to your credibility. If you are able to discuss the evolution of the relationship and some reasonable details about your wife, all *should* be well.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 9:09am On Sep 19, 2013
Wile.E.Coyote:
I accompanied my Spouse to the interview recently.

Had nothing but good feedback for the staff that was encountered. The interpreter was a God sent and we are indubitably eternally grateful.

I wasn't allowed to join the interview as expected but I used the restroom and the staff for that process was very professional.

It was emotional for me to see our flag at half mast.

I'm glad you had a good experience! It's nice to have positive feedback. smiley

The flag at half mast is such a powerful image of respect and sorrow. It's emotional for me, too. Thanks for noticing it.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by joechima: 9:12am On Sep 19, 2013
Thank u sir,God bless u for ur understanding and good works
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by bamideleniayo(m): 2:03pm On Sep 19, 2013
Thanks so much VO for ur reply.. But my other question is that;is it better to fill in the highest academic qualification as SSCE and send to KCC for Processing leaving out the BSc since the results are not ready. And will the CO ask what he has been doing all this years because the gap between him getting his SSCE till date is quite much (8years); that's incase we leave out everything about the BSc..

And secondly, should in case by Gods favour he gets to the US and wants to further his education and request for a transcript from the said sch, would it be said to a concealment of a material fact that he has a Bsc which was never mentioned in the forms sent to KCC... Thank u so much.! VO
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by bamideleniayo(m): 2:13pm On Sep 19, 2013
bamideleniayo: Thanks so much VO for ur reply.. But my other question is that;is it better to fill in the highest academic qualification as SSCE and send to KCC for Processing leaving out the BSc since the results are not ready. And will the CO ask what he has been doing all this years because the gap between him getting his SSCE till date is quite much (8years); that's incase we leave out everything about the BSc..

And secondly, should in case by Gods favour he gets to the US and wants to further his education and request for a transcript from the said sch, would it be said to a concealment of a material fact that he has a Bsc which was never mentioned in the forms sent to KCC... Thank u so much.! VO
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by cutekingd1: 2:17pm On Sep 19, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! So was it his cousin or was it him?

If he can demonstrate that he has a bona fide relationship with his current wife, then he should be all right... eventually. If he lied about a previous relationship or visa application, that would make us suspicious. But even if he incurred a 6C1 ineligibility for material misrepresentation, his wife in the U.S. can file a waiver of that through USCIS. In situations like this one, those waivers are generally approved (assuming nothing else is wrong).

This is exactly why it's always best just to tell the truth at the interview, no matter what.

Thank you so much for the kind response, he said it was his cousin.yes they are married pls can u elaborate the bona fide relationship u mean he also need to know when his wife can fill in a wavier is it along side with the spouse visa petition?.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 19, 2013
@ Visa Officer Officer

My wife just visited the states and she is back in Nigeria however she did not return the white immigration (I-94) slip that was to be taken from her at the airport.

(Maybe its her fault or that of the immigration officer in the US..we dont know.) The slip has 13th Oct 2013 on it as the date she must not stay beyond in the US.

Can she bring the slip and return it at the US embassy here in Lagos? I hope this doesn't have any negative effect on her status.

Thanks for your prompt response.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by atinaewa: 3:16pm On Sep 19, 2013
@Boomshakar, If your case number is 3*** then, you ought to have. received your 2NL and your interview should be on october according to the october bulletin for Nigeria.
Pls. try to call KCC and find out.

Pls let me here the outcome because I have a case like that at hand.
thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:20pm On Sep 19, 2013
bamideleniayo: Thanks so much VO for ur reply.. But my other question is that;is it better to fill in the highest academic qualification as SSCE and send to KCC for Processing leaving out the BSc since the results are not ready. And will the CO ask what he has been doing all this years because the gap between him getting his SSCE till date is quite much (8years); that's incase we leave out everything about the BSc..

I'd fill in the highest qualification. On the DS-230 (or DS-260) there will be a section where he can list ALL his education. I'm sure the officer will ask about his BSc, but the explanation makes sense, and even without the BSc, he qualifies academically. He doesn't need to worry about this, I promise.

For the second question: No, it wouldn't be a concealment of a material fact. It's actually not material, as he qualifies even without the BSc!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:26pm On Sep 19, 2013
cutekingd1:

Thank you so much for the kind response, he said it was his cousin.yes they are married pls can u elaborate the bona fide relationship u mean he also need to know when his wife can fill in a wavier is it along side with the spouse visa petition?.

When he comes for the interview, we'll interview him and ask for evidence to see if he has a bona fide relationship with his spouse. I imagine that the 6C1 ineligibility will make us suspicious, but if he really is married to her (and not just for immigration purposes), he'll be fine. When he comes for his interview, we'll give him the instructions to file for a waiver.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:27pm On Sep 19, 2013
Deyou: @ Visa Officer Officer

My wife just visited the states and she is back in Nigeria however she did not return the white immigration (I-94) slip that was to be taken from her at the airport.

(Maybe its her fault or that of the immigration officer in the US..we dont know.) The slip has 13th Oct 2013 on it as the date she must not stay beyond in the US.

Can she bring the slip and return it at the US embassy here in Lagos? I hope this doesn't have any negative effect on her status.

Thanks for your prompt response.

Greetings! This happens a lot, actually. You wife can bring the I-94 to her next visa interview (or take it with her the next time she travels to the U.S., if her visa is still valid).
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by atinaewa: 3:43pm On Sep 19, 2013
@ VISA OFFICER & Every body in the house!!!

Pls. has anybody seen, heard or known any past dv lottery winner with the issue of not written his or her case number on all the forms given a 2NL or visa?

Pls. I need genuine response to this question.

Thanks.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 4:41pm On Sep 19, 2013
atinaewa: @ VISA OFFICER & Every body in the house!!!

Pls. has anybody seen, heard or known any past dv lottery winner with the issue of not written his or her case number on all the forms given a 2NL or visa?

Pls. I need genuine response to this question.

Thanks.

I don't have an answer. By default, I only see applicants who have successfully turned in all their forms....

Does anyone else know?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by srloring13: 5:14pm On Sep 19, 2013
VisaOfficer:

There is really very little that the petitioner or beneficiary can do to speed up the process. Administrative processing happens for a variety of reasons; I'm sure you can imagine why some of those reasons need to be investigated independently before we reach out to the petitioner and beneficiary for their input, and why we don't release additional information. To give a concrete example, some Nairaland members have mentioned that we sometimes do field investigations to see if a beneficiary is really married, or to see if a court actually issued a divorce decree. In those cases, you can understand why we don't say "Hey, we're going to drop by your house on Tuesday to see if you're really married." We say, "Your case is under administrative processing."

The supervisor actually reviews all the cases, with special attention to refusals.

We work as quickly as possible, but sometimes there are travel restrictions or other problems. When we get to a point where we need to talk to the beneficiary and/or the petitioner, we will contact them directly.

In a worst-case scenario, when we do not believe there are grounds for a visa to be issued, the petitioner always has the opportunity to rebut our findings. The petition goes back to USCIS with a memo outlining our findings, and USCIS asks the petitioner to respond before making a decision. So even in the worst-case scenario, the petition will not be revoked without the petitioner's involvement.

The overwhelming majority of cases that go through administrative processing are eventually issued.

I hope this helps!

Does it make any sense to notify the Consulate of when the petitioner will be back in the country in case there are questions?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by atinaewa: 5:51pm On Sep 19, 2013
@ Visa Officer,

Does that mean that any DV winner who fails to write his or her case number on the right hand corner of all the forms will be disqualified?

He or She should just forget about the whole stuff?

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (66)

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Thread for South Korea prospective students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.