Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,751 members, 7,905,781 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 06:17 PM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (519659 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Ddream77: 1:30pm On Sep 17, 2013
Dear V.O.... If I want to update my forms sent to KCC how do I go about it? if I'm not mistaken, in an earlier post you mentioned something about the ds-230 forms are now replaced with an online form ds 260 or so.... *not sure*.... according to the paper reduce act. Kindly advice. Thanks.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 2:13pm On Sep 17, 2013
onpointbaby: I am a lucky dv winner and I want to make an enquiry. Before going for my interview in November. On my international passport and birth certificate after my surname my second name comes before my first name but in all my academic certificates my first name comes before my second hope this won't pose a problem for me on the interview day. On my international passport and birth certificate my names read. Odejobi iretunde adura, while my names on my academic certificates reads Odejobi adura iretunde. Thanks.

Greetings! What you describe is a fairly common occurence and shouldn't pose a problem at all. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 2:14pm On Sep 17, 2013
atinaewa: thanks for your response visa officer. But. I hope this will not disqualify her.

I really don't know if it will or not... that's a KCC issue....
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 2:15pm On Sep 17, 2013
D-dream77:
Dear V.O.... If I want to update my forms sent to KCC how do I go about it? if I'm not mistaken, in an earlier post you mentioned something about the ds-230 forms are now replaced with an online form ds 260 or so.... *not sure*.... according to the paper reduce act. Kindly advice. Thanks.

Please contact KCC directly and ask them what you should do. I haven't heard anything *yet* about DS-260s and DVs.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by cutekingd1: 3:02pm On Sep 17, 2013
Hello consular, Your doing quite an awesome job here more grease to ur elbow and God bless u...i have a question my friend as a misrepresentation of identity with the us embassy. He was married before but divorced now because of the mischievous act of the previous wife and married to a new person currently his new wife want to file in for him for a family immigrant visa (spouse visa), he got married last year.Both decided to move together to the US but he has a previous issue with the US embassy in Nigeria he won us lottery for immigrant
visa which he was married to another person then but divorced now and was interviewed and was ask to come the next week to collect there visa, 3 days to the collection day he was later called to come over to the embassy to identify something the consular ask if he has ever applied to the us embassy before he said no the consular then printed a copy of the picture that looks exactly like him out but he said that should have been his cousin he was later asked to bring his cousin but he took along with him some couples of pictures stating that was not him but the consular refused the visa then he later filed a case with a lawyer but the duration of time and date for the lottery was over so he didn't hear back from them but he sent email to LagosIV@state.gov. please what his he going to do because his wife want him to stay together with her in US because she is pregnant and she needs his husbands.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by hammerh(f): 3:38pm On Sep 17, 2013
VO, please can the chest x-ray cause a refusal for a DV lottery winner and also can one who already has a non immigrant visa be refused an immigrant visa please, also if one is refused will the visa be cancelled?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:48pm On Sep 17, 2013
hammerh: VO, please can the chest x-ray cause a refusal for a DV lottery winner and also can one who already has a non immigrant visa be refused an immigrant visa please, also if one is refused will the visa be cancelled?

Greetings! Yes, all applicants must be medically cleared to travel. Certain medical conditions can be considered ineligibilities. Also, if we have issued a visa and then we find out that the applicant may be attempting to conceal a medical condition, we cancel the visa until we see proof that the applicant is medically cleared to travel.

In general, medical refusals are not permanent; they are overcome when a panel physician confirms that the applicants are allowed to travel.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by hammerh(f): 3:52pm On Sep 17, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! Yes, all applicants must be medically cleared to travel. Certain medical conditions can be considered ineligibilities. Also, if we have issued a visa and then we find out that the applicant may be attempting to conceal a medical condition, we cancel the visa until we see proof that the applicant is medically cleared to travel.

In general, medical refusals are not permanent; they are overcome when a panel physician confirms that the applicants are allowed to travel.

thanks you VO and please what about this question
one who has a non immigrant visa be refused an immigrant visa please, also if one is refused will the visa be cancelled?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:53pm On Sep 17, 2013
cutekingd1: Hello consular, Your doing quite an awesome job here more grease to ur elbow and God bless u...i have a question my friend as a misrepresentation of identity with the us embassy. He was married before but divorced now because of the mischievous act of the previous wife and married to a new person currently his new wife want to file in for him for a family immigrant visa (spouse visa), he got married last year.Both decided to move together to the US but he has a previous issue with the US embassy in Nigeria he won us lottery for immigrant
visa which he was married to another person then but divorced now and was interviewed and was ask to come the next week to collect there visa, 3 days to the collection day he was later called to come over to the embassy to identify something the consular ask if he has ever applied to the us embassy before he said no the consular then printed a copy of the picture that looks exactly like him out but he said that should have been his cousin he was later asked to bring his cousin but he took along with him some couples of pictures stating that was not him but the consular refused the visa then he later filed a case with a lawyer but the duration of time and date for the lottery was over so he didn't hear back from them but he sent email to LagosIV@state.gov. please what his he going to do because his wife want him to stay together with her in US because she is pregnant and she needs his husbands.

Greetings! So was it his cousin or was it him?

If he can demonstrate that he has a bona fide relationship with his current wife, then he should be all right... eventually. If he lied about a previous relationship or visa application, that would make us suspicious. But even if he incurred a 6C1 ineligibility for material misrepresentation, his wife in the U.S. can file a waiver of that through USCIS. In situations like this one, those waivers are generally approved (assuming nothing else is wrong).

This is exactly why it's always best just to tell the truth at the interview, no matter what.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 4:02pm On Sep 17, 2013
hammerh:

thanks you VO and please what about this question
one who has a non immigrant visa be refused an immigrant visa please, also if one is refused will the visa be cancelled?

Are you asking what happens if someone who has a non-immigrant visa is refused an immigrant visa? That's a complicated question and it depends why the immigrant visa is refused. If fraud is involved, we're probably going to cancel all the visas the person has. If he or she has incurred an ineligibility, likewise, their visas will likely be cancelled.

But take the example of someone whose LPR father files an immigrant petition for a son in Nigeria. Let's imagine that the son has a non-immigrant visa, and that as we're processing the immigrant petition we find out that the LPR petitioner is not truly his father. No fraud, just a negative DNA test, let's say. And the father was never married to the mother, so there's no step-parent relationship. We would not be able to issue the immigrant visa. In this case, I doubt we would cancel the existing non-immigrant visa even though the person now has a pretty good incentive to use it improperly. The kid would have to say to me under oath, "HA HA! Even though you refuse to give me an immigrant visa, I shall travel to the U.S. on my non-immigrant visa and not come back! HA HA HA HA!" Then, yeah, I'd cancel all his visas. Otherwise... nah. We're just not that mean and suspicious.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by hammerh(f): 4:05pm On Sep 17, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Are you asking what happens if someone who has a non-immigrant visa is refused an immigrant visa? That's a complicated question and it depends why the immigrant visa is refused. If fraud is involved, we're probably going to cancel all the visas the person has. If he or she has incurred an ineligibility, likewise, their visas will likely be cancelled.

But take the example of someone whose LPR father files an immigrant petition for a son in Nigeria. Let's imagine that the son has a non-immigrant visa, and that as we're processing the immigrant petition we find out that the LPR petitioner is not truly his father. No fraud, just a negative DNA test, let's say. And the father was never married to the mother, so there's no step-parent relationship. We would not be able to issue the immigrant visa. In this case, I doubt we would cancel the existing non-immigrant visa even though the person now has a pretty good incentive to use it improperly. The kid would have to say to me under oath, "HA HA! Even though you refuse to give me an immigrant visa, I shall travel to the U.S. on my non-immigrant visa and not come back! HA HA HA HA!" Then, yeah, I'd cancel all his visas. Otherwise... nah. We're just not that mean and suspicious.

VO,
thank you sir.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by onpointbaby: 6:47pm On Sep 17, 2013
Thanks VO for responding to my question I appreciate God bless you.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by chelseaguy: 7:35pm On Sep 17, 2013
I will like to know if an unmarried Nigerian native with an EU passport (citizenship) can still be eligible for 2015 DV? Thank you for your anticipated reply.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by onpointbaby: 9:37pm On Sep 17, 2013
Goodevening VO, I want to ask a question on behalf of my friend who also won the DV lottery. In her form that she filled on history of employment. She did her NYSC in Jigawa state in 2005 after the orientation she was posted to a school for her primary assignment but she started work in April 2005 and ended in February 2006. The question now is that her NYSC Certificate reads March 2005 to March 2006 and she already wrote April 2005 to February 2006 because that was the actual duration she started and ended her service year. She wants to find out if this is not a threat to refusal of her visa and if it is what do you advise she does because her interview is in November.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by joy1111: 12:24am On Sep 18, 2013
Sir,thank you for the good help you are rendering to this forum,i have a question to ask,i applied for a non immigrant visa some time ago and got denied base on section 214,in my former application i mistakenly indicated my present husband who is a u.s citizen as my brother,now we have gotten married,and he filled for me as his wife,sir i hope that the previous mistake on my former Ds-160 will not affect me in the immigrant visa interview which will soon come up,pls sir your advice needed
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by srloring13: 6:01am On Sep 18, 2013
What other options are available for a petitioner to check the status of a immigrant visa for their beneficiary?

If the petitioner wants a supervisor to review the file, can that request be granted?

Why wont the Consulate release additional information about where a case is in the Administrative Processing stage?

If the petitioner wants to talk to an investigator, how can that be done?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:44am On Sep 18, 2013
chelseaguy: I will like to know if an unmarried Nigerian native with an EU passport (citizenship) can still be eligible for 2015 DV? Thank you for your anticipated reply.

You can enter the 2015 DV Lottery if you are chargeable to any of the countries listed here: http://travel.state.gov/pdf/DV_2015_Instructions.pdf

Can I still apply if I was not born in a qualifying country?

There are two circumstances in which you still might be eligible to apply. First, if your derivative spouse was born in an eligible country, you may claim chargeability to that country. As your eligibility is based on your spouse, you will only be issued a DV-1 immigrant visa if your spouse is also eligible for and issued a DV-2 visa. Both of you must enter the United States together using your DVs. Similarly, your minor dependent child can be “charged” to a parent’s country of birth.

Second, you can be “charged” to the country of birth of either of your parents as long as neither of your parents was born in or a resident of your country of birth at the time of your birth. People are not generally considered residents of a country in which they were not born or legally naturalized, if they were only visiting, studying in the country temporarily, or stationed temporarily for business or professional reasons on behalf of a company or government from a different country other than the one in which you were born.

If you claim alternate chargeability through either of the above, you must provide an explanation on the E-DV Entry Form, in question #6.

Listing an incorrect country of eligibility or chargeability (i.e., one to which you cannot establish a valid claim) may disqualify your entry.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:45am On Sep 18, 2013
onpointbaby: Goodevening VO, I want to ask a question on behalf of my friend who also won the DV lottery. In her form that she filled on history of employment. She did her NYSC in Jigawa state in 2005 after the orientation she was posted to a school for her primary assignment but she started work in April 2005 and ended in February 2006. The question now is that her NYSC Certificate reads March 2005 to March 2006 and she already wrote April 2005 to February 2006 because that was the actual duration she started and ended her service year. She wants to find out if this is not a threat to refusal of her visa and if it is what do you advise she does because her interview is in November.

As long as she convinces the interviewing officer that she has at least a high school education OR two years' work experience in a qualifying field, the discrepancy won't matter.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:46am On Sep 18, 2013
joy1111: Sir,thank you for the good help you are rendering to this forum,i have a question to ask,i applied for a non immigrant visa some time ago and got denied base on section 214,in my former application i mistakenly indicated my present husband who is a u.s citizen as my brother,now we have gotten married,and he filled for me as his wife,sir i hope that the previous mistake on my former Ds-160 will not affect me in the immigrant visa interview which will soon come up,pls sir your advice needed

As long as you are truly in a bona fide spousal relationship with the petitioner, your previous NIV experience will not have a detrimental effect. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:58am On Sep 18, 2013
srloring13 :
What other options are available for a petitioner to check the status of a immigrant visa for their beneficiary?

If the petitioner wants a supervisor to review the file, can that request be granted?

Why wont the Consulate release additional information about where a case is in the Administrative Processing stage?

If the petitioner wants to talk to an investigator, how can that be done?

There is really very little that the petitioner or beneficiary can do to speed up the process. Administrative processing happens for a variety of reasons; I'm sure you can imagine why some of those reasons need to be investigated independently before we reach out to the petitioner and beneficiary for their input, and why we don't release additional information. To give a concrete example, some Nairaland members have mentioned that we sometimes do field investigations to see if a beneficiary is really married, or to see if a court actually issued a divorce decree. In those cases, you can understand why we don't say "Hey, we're going to drop by your house on Tuesday to see if you're really married." We say, "Your case is under administrative processing."

The supervisor actually reviews all the cases, with special attention to refusals.

We work as quickly as possible, but sometimes there are travel restrictions or other problems. When we get to a point where we need to talk to the beneficiary and/or the petitioner, we will contact them directly.

In a worst-case scenario, when we do not believe there are grounds for a visa to be issued, the petitioner always has the opportunity to rebut our findings. The petition goes back to USCIS with a memo outlining our findings, and USCIS asks the petitioner to respond before making a decision. So even in the worst-case scenario, the petition will not be revoked without the petitioner's involvement.

The overwhelming majority of cases that go through administrative processing are eventually issued.

I hope this helps!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by emmamaraihe: 8:43am On Sep 18, 2013
goodmorning vo, how are you today? i want to know how you can be of help to this my case, last week i went to the interview, but i was found ineligible because of education and job skill said the interviewer, but i think i did the right thing, in the sense that i did not forged a fake result start tell lies, which is not good be fore my God jehovah rather i said the whole truth about myself which i stated in the form sent to kentuky that i finish my junior secondary school but due to the death of my parent i could not further i went for a biznes traing in pharmaceutical company i learn dis job for over six years n iam good at it.pls vo is it not a skill?why do they hav to do dis to me.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by joy1111: 8:55am On Sep 18, 2013
thank you Sir for answering my question,sir as i mistakenly indicated my husband as a brother in my previous non immigrant visa application which i was denied base on sec214,now i want to apply for non immigrant visa,i want to indicate my husband as my spouse whom i mistakenly indicated as my brother in my previous Niv application,now that i am indicating him in my application as my spouse hope there will be no problem during my non immigrant interview,and i also have spouse petition from my husband who is a u.s citizen,pls sir your advice is needed
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 9:57am On Sep 18, 2013
emmamaraihe: goodmorning vo, how are you today? i want to know how you can be of help to this my case, last week i went to the interview, but i was found ineligible because of education and job skill said the interviewer, but i think i did the right thing, in the sense that i did not forged a fake result start tell lies, which is not good be fore my God jehovah rather i said the whole truth about myself which i stated in the form sent to kentuky that i finish my junior secondary school but due to the death of my parent i could not further i went for a biznes traing in pharmaceutical company i learn dis job for over six years n iam good at it.pls vo is it not a skill?why do they hav to do dis to me.

I'm glad you were honest. Unfortunately you don't qualify for the Diversity Visa program. You don't have the necessary education, and it sounds like your work experience is not in a qualifying occupation. Take a look at http://www.onetonline.org/find/quick?s=pharmaceutical and see which one best describes your actual job. To qualify, your job must be designated in Job Zone 4 or 5.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1319.html has more information.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 9:59am On Sep 18, 2013
joy1111: thank you Sir for answering my question,sir as i mistakenly indicated my husband as a brother in my previous non immigrant visa application which i was denied base on sec214,now i want to apply for non immigrant visa,i want to indicate my husband as my spouse whom i mistakenly indicated as my brother in my previous Niv application,now that i am indicating him in my application as my spouse hope there will be no problem during my non immigrant interview,and i also have spouse petition from my husband who is a u.s citizen,pls sir your advice is needed

I have to say that, based solely on what you have written, you are very unlikely to be issued a non-immigrant visa. You are clearly an intending immigrant and you previously listed your spouse as your brother. While that's not going to be a problem for your immigrant visa, it does sound to me that you do not qualify for a non-immigrant visa.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by junglej: 3:00pm On Sep 18, 2013
Hello, I am happy for the help u have been rendering. Please I have a question, what's someones chance of getting a non imigrant VISA who took a voluntary back exactly 10 years ago, was in the states for nine years and has a social security number
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Fortsucc(f): 3:42pm On Sep 18, 2013
Thank you visa officer, it is possible for embassy to call someone back for his visa after the person might have been refused in the first place or may be after some verification?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:48pm On Sep 18, 2013
jungle-j:
Hello, I am happy for the help u have been rendering. Please I have a question, what's someones chance of getting a non imigrant VISA who took a voluntary back exactly 10 years ago, was in the states for nine years and has a social security number

Greetings and thank you! Could you explain what you mean by "took a voluntary back"? Was the person in the U.S. legally for those nine years?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:50pm On Sep 18, 2013
Fortsucc: Thank you visa officer, it is possible for embassy to call someone back for his visa after the person might have been refused in the first place or may be after some verification?

It is rare but possible. I actually called someone back just this week, due to new information that came to my attention after the visa was refused. We try not to make mistakes, but when we do, we correct them as soon as we can. smiley

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by hammerh(f): 4:27pm On Sep 18, 2013
VO,please I have been waiting for an adaptation for a baby, and I just discovered that I won the dv lottery, I have sent my forms to KCC and yet to get an approval from Lagos state Government for the baby, what do I do because my case number is about 2014AF0000392. Please
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by odungboriAO: 4:58pm On Sep 18, 2013
Please what are the likely question the US Consular would ask me during the interview - my spouse file for me
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Fortsucc(f): 5:00pm On Sep 18, 2013
Thank you vo, I have just been called by the embassy to come next week, my question n•ώ is how am I going to enter into the embassy since I did not have any appointment lette? Thanks for your reply in advance.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 5:00pm On Sep 18, 2013
hammerh: VO,please I have been waiting for an adaptation for a baby, and I just discovered that I won the dv lottery, I have sent my forms to KCC and yet to get an approval from Lagos state Government for the baby, what do I do because my case number is about 2014AF0000392. Please

Congratulations twice! Okay, we have until Sept. 30, 2014, to figure it out. Keep working on the adoption, let us know what you have left to do when you come to your interview, and we'll do what we can to include the baby in the case when the adoption is full and final.

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (66)

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Thread for South Korea prospective students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.