Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,612 members, 7,941,349 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 02:56 AM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (520447 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 9:24am On Sep 24, 2013
akintunde95: thank you VO for your response about my question.... But i have write KCC several times about the real data ... They reply that KCC DOES not have chance to change data in initial form and they continue that i should complete form Ds230 and Dsp122...... Pls what do you refer me to do ......

Go ahead and fill out the paperwork with the correct data. You can explain when you come to the interview.

Thanks!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by foohard: 9:25am On Sep 24, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Is that an F1 student visa or an F1 "unmarried child of an American citizen" visa? If it's a student visa, you'll have no problem. Please contact USCIS for information about adjustment of status -- www.uscis.gov .

If it's an F1 "unmarried child" visa and you have a wife, you may have trouble adjusting status, as you should not have traveled on that visa.

Good luck!

It's student VISA... I wrote I-130 immediate I got to USA and still haven't heard from them. What next can I do to contact them?

Thank you for your prompt response
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 10:50am On Sep 24, 2013
foohard:

It's student VISA... I wrote I-130 immediate I got to USA and still haven't heard from them. What next can I do to contact them?

Thank you for your prompt response

You can find their contact information at www.uscis.gov -- I would call them directly and ask what the status of your I-130 is.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by mrrule: 11:14am On Sep 24, 2013
VO plz my case number is 2014af00002*** and have not received any message from kcc regarding my interview or anything and the last time I mailed the reply me that they have received my forms and they are processing and said I shud refer to the visa buletin and when I checked there I cud not understand anythin there as regard to my case number.please can u asist me with more info cuz am new here.thank you
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by akintunde95: 12:05pm On Sep 24, 2013
thank you VO now my case number is 2014af000452** when is it better for me to send my forms and when ll i get my appointment letter
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by paparazzi1987(m): 12:18pm On Sep 24, 2013
Hello VO,
Can a pension Account Statement be used instead of Bank statement while applying for student Visa
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Fortsucc(f): 1:43pm On Sep 24, 2013
Thank you visa officer, Yes you know us. Very grateful and God Bless.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by foohard: 2:24pm On Sep 24, 2013
VisaOfficer:

You can find their contact information at www.uscis.gov -- I would call them directly and ask what the status of your I-130 is.

They already notify my wife that the I-130 has been approved and that it's has been forwarded to National VISA center for further processing, National Visa Center e-mailed my wife last week that I should complete DS-261 which I think is irrelevant since I am already in the USA.

So, what should I then do? Thank you for your guidance.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 2:35pm On Sep 24, 2013
Fortsucc: Thank you visa officer, Yes you know us. Very grateful and God Bless.

Glad it all turned out okay. We try not to make mistakes, but when we make them, we like to fix them. Good luck in the U.S.!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by paparazzi1987(m): 2:52pm On Sep 24, 2013
Hello VO,
Please sire, Can a pension Account Statement be used instead of normal Bank statement (i.e Savings or Checking Account) while applying for student Visa
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Fortsucc(f): 3:44pm On Sep 24, 2013
Well done visa officer, We were not given our National Population Birth Certificate yesterday. Please how do we get it,thanks.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by collegegrad2013: 7:41pm On Sep 24, 2013
Hi Visa Officer,
Thanks for taking the time to help people with their processes. I have a question about Administrative Processing at the Lagos embassy. Why is someone placed into AP and how long does it take after an approval at the embassy interview to complete the AP process?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by onpointbaby: 10:28pm On Sep 24, 2013
Dear VO, I have to two results My WAEC and GCE and I don't know which to take along for my interview.My WAEC I have 3passes, 3 distinctions,and 3Credits. Had Pass in Maths and English. But My GCE I have 1 Pass, 3Distinctions, 3Credits. Had Credit in English but Pass in Maths. Thank You.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by kevweflex(m): 10:46pm On Sep 24, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Greetings!

1. Does he have his father's birth certificate? Previous passports? School records or other documents showing that he lived in the U.S.?

2. Every case is different, so I can't really give advice. He should bring whatever he has.

3. Categorically no. It will be harder to prove his claims in the U.S. that it would be here.

4. Technically we can't require DNA, but we CAN strongly suggest it. In this case, clearly, it can't be done.

5. The best thing to do is to make an appointment for a U.S. passport at American Citizens Services, so the ACS Officer can interview the person and get a feel for how the case should be investigated.

I think this would be a easy ride if all necessary documents are available. And like you will always say, The burden of proof is on the person being interviewed to convince the officer at the ACS to get a feel for how the case should be investigated.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:45am On Sep 25, 2013
mr rule: VO plz my case number is 2014af00002*** and have not received any message from kcc regarding my interview or anything and the last time I mailed the reply me that they have received my forms and they are processing and said I shud refer to the visa buletin and when I checked there I cud not understand anythin there as regard to my case number.please can u asist me with more info cuz am new here.thank you

I don't have a lot of information about the KCC side of the process. My knowledge starts at the point when interviews have already been scheduled and the cases arrive here in my office. That said, if your number is 2***, I imagine you'll get an appointment date very early in the DV season.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:46am On Sep 25, 2013
akintunde95: thank you VO now my case number is 2014af000452** when is it better for me to send my forms and when ll i get my appointment letter

Again, I don't have a lot of information about the KCC side of the process. My knowledge starts at the point when interviews have already been scheduled and the cases arrive here in my office. That said, if your number is 452**, I imagine you'll get an appointment date relatively late in the DV season.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:46am On Sep 25, 2013
paparazzi1987: Hello VO,
Can a pension Account Statement be used instead of Bank statement while applying for student Visa

I don't see why not...
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:49am On Sep 25, 2013
foohard:

They already notify my wife that the I-130 has been approved and that it's has been forwarded to National VISA center for further processing, National Visa Center e-mailed my wife last week that I should complete DS-261 which I think is irrelevant since I am already in the USA.

So, what should I then do? Thank you for your guidance.

You should file form I-485 to adjust your status while in the U.S. Here's the information from USCIS:

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) permits the change of an individual's immigration status while in the United States from nonimmigrant or parolee (temporary) to immigrant (permanent) if the individual was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States and is able to meet all required qualifications for a green card (permanent residence) in a particular category. The common term for a change to permanent status is “adjustment of status.”

Depending on the category you wish to adjust under, you may be eligible to have the petition filed at the same time that you file your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. This is called “concurrent filing.” Immediate relatives of a U.S. citizen may be able to file concurrently. Also, other certain classes of individuals who have a visa immediately available may be able to file concurrently. Most categories, however, require that you first establish your eligibility for the immigrant category by having an approved petition before you are allowed to file Form I-485, for these categories you will not be able to file concurrently.

For more information on concurrent filing, see our Concurrent Filing page. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=32d80a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=32d80a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:50am On Sep 25, 2013
Fortsucc: Well done visa officer, We were not given our National Population Birth Certificate yesterday. Please how do we get it,thanks.

My apologies for the oversight! It will be included in your visa package, which you'll receive along with your visa. BTW, it looks like your visas will be printed TODAY. ~whew~
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:51am On Sep 25, 2013
DEBOLABI: we discover a friend of mine won the previous VISA lottery.. and he has no WAEC or any O'level result.

please, do we have any hope?

If he has not completed secondary school, and does not have qualifying work experience, he should not waste his time, money, and energy applying.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:58am On Sep 25, 2013
collegegrad2013: Hi Visa Officer,
Thanks for taking the time to help people with their processes. I have a question about Administrative Processing at the Lagos embassy. Why is someone placed into AP and how long does it take after an approval at the embassy interview to complete the AP process?

There are many reasons why a case may be placed under administrative processing. It can be anything from just needing to check with an employer that a job offer is still open (for employment-based petitions), to visiting an orphanage to make sure that the place is a REAL orphanage and the child is really available for adoption, to calling a registrar's office to see if a divorce decree is genuine, to conducting a field investigation to see if a fiance is actually married to someone else, to waiting for an e-mail reply from Washington if we've had to ask a question about an unusual wrinkle of immigration law. It can take anywhere from days to months. Most cases are resolved in a matter of weeks, and most cases that are placed under administrative processing are ultimately issued.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Fortsucc(f): 8:08am On Sep 25, 2013
Thanks very much visa officer.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by lilbro(m): 8:12am On Sep 25, 2013
V.O I Just confirmed from him he has none of those. But a photocopy of his dads u.s drivers license. Will that help?

VisaOfficer:

Greetings!

1. Does he have his father's birth certificate? Previous passports? School records or other documents showing that he lived in the U.S.?

2. Every case is different, so I can't really give advice. He should bring whatever he has.

3. Categorically no. It will be harder to prove his claims in the U.S. that it would be here.

4. Technically we can't require DNA, but we CAN strongly suggest it. In this case, clearly, it can't be done.

5. The best thing to do is to make an appointment for a U.S. passport at American Citizens Services, so the ACS Officer can interview the person and get a feel for how the case should be investigated.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:20am On Sep 25, 2013
onpointbaby: Dear VO, I have to two results My WAEC and GCE and I don't know which to take along for my interview.My WAEC I have 3passes, 3 distinctions,and 3Credits. Had Pass in Maths and English. But My GCE I have 1 Pass, 3Distinctions, 3Credits. Had Credit in English but Pass in Maths. Thank You.

I checked with a higher authority. The answer is: "WAEC organizes the GCE exam as well. He can bring both if he chooses. From what he writes, he appears to be educationally qualified."
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by oyesmiling: 9:13am On Sep 25, 2013
Hello, I want to apply for a tourist visa, i had once travel to kenya and dubai with my wife. I want to go for tourist with my wife and kids. What other thing will i still need?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by reeq(m): 11:11am On Sep 25, 2013
Greetings VO.. Please I like to know how long exactly its takes for USCIS to issue a case number. My fiancee(u.s citizen) filed for me,its been 3months now,have'nt gotten any reply. Also if the case number given,what's the next step? God Bless you.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 11:12am On Sep 25, 2013
oyesmiling: Hello, I want to apply for a tourist visa, i had once travel to kenya and dubai with my wife. I want to go for tourist with my wife and kids. What other thing will i still need?

Every case is different. Basically, you'll need to show that you can afford the trip and that you intend to abide by the terms of the visa.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 11:13am On Sep 25, 2013
reeq: Greetings VO.. Please I like to know how long exactly its takes for USCIS to issue a case number. My fiancee(u.s citizen) filed for me,its been 3months now,have'nt gotten any reply. Also if the case number given,what's the next step? God Bless you.

Greetings! It can take several months for USCIS to issue a case number. Your fiancee should contact USCIS directly to ask what the status is. When the case is documentarily complete, you'll be sent instructions on how to make an appointment. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by swiftycool(m): 1:12pm On Sep 25, 2013
Hi Visaofficer, nice job you are doing here, Please id like to know what visa options are currently available for Skilled graduate professional Nigerians wanting to migrate to live and work permanently in the US presently, as i understand that Nigerians have been banned cry from the DV lottery scheme henceforth. cheers!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 2:07pm On Sep 25, 2013
swiftycool: Hi Visaofficer, nice job you are doing here, Please id like to know what visa options are currently available for Skilled graduate professional Nigerians wanting to migrate to live and work permanently in the US presently, as i understand that Nigerians have been banned cry from the DV lottery scheme henceforth. cheers!

Greetings! It's not that Nigerians were banned; what happened is that the Diversity Visa program is only for countries that provide less than 50,000 immigrants over a five-year period, and Nigeria has surpassed that threshold now, so the Diversity Visa program is no longer needed here. It's good news for Nigeria! I say that it's good news because I don't expect our caseload to decrease AT ALL; we'll just have more time to handle more family-based and employment-based visas, more quickly! So Nigerians can expect shorter wait times and quicker reunifications with their family members in the U.S.

Also, the 2014 DV program will continue as planned. We're updating our website over the next couple of days...

It sounds like you may qualify for an employment-based immigrant visa. I encourage you to review the information at http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1323.html and see if any of the employment categories might apply to you.

Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 2:18pm On Sep 25, 2013
Speaking of the 2014 Diversity Visa program: We're expecting a very busy year, so it is imperative that applicants honor their scheduled appointment dates. If you miss your originally scheduled appointment date, for whatever reason, it is highly unlikely that we will be able to reschedule you.

Here's what our website will soon say:

The 2014 Diversity Visa (DV) season begins October 1, 2013, and will end at midnight on September 30, 2014.

The U.S. Department of State Electronic Diversity Visa Entrant Status Check for Diversity Visa Program for DV- 2014 is available until September 30, 2014. To check the entrant status online, please be sure to have the Entrant's Confirmation Number, Last/Family Name, and Year of Birth. Follow the instructions at https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ .

If you have lost or forgotten your confirmation number, follow the instructions at https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/(S(lxcbl355j1s1ssat55igtpfu))/Secure/RetrieveConfirmation.aspx to retrieve it.

If you have an interview date scheduled, you must attend your scheduled interview. If you are married, your spouse and any children must accompany you to the scheduled interview even if they do not intend to travel. If you cannot attend the interview appointment that was scheduled for you by the Kentucky Consular Center, it may not be possible to reschedule your appointment.

You must honor your appointment even if you are lacking some required documentation such as your medical exam. At your interview, a consular officer will inform you in writing if you qualify for a Diversity Visa subject to submission of a missing document. In such cases, a separate admission letter prepared by the consular officer will be given to you, and you will be permitted entry to the Consulate General on the designated day to submit the missing document(s) prior to the end of the program, if sufficient visa numbers are still available.

The rules for the Diversity Visa program are simple but strict. There are no exceptions:

• You must meet either the education or work experience requirement of the DV program: you must have either a high school education or its equivalent, OR two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring at least two years of training or experience to perform. The U.S. Department of Labor’s O*Net OnLine database at http://www.onetonline.org/ will be used to determine qualifying work experience.

• On your original entry, you must have listed your spouse (husband or wife), and all living unmarried children under 21 years of age, regardless of whether or not they are living with you or intend to accompany or follow to join you should you immigrate to the United States, with the exception of children who are already U.S. citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents. A spouse or child who is already a U.S. citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident will not require or be issued a DV visa. Failure to comply with this instruction will result in the disqualification of your entry.

• Failure to enter the correct photograph of each individual into the E-DV system will result in disqualification of the principal applicant and refusal of all visas associated with the case at the time of the visa interview. Entries are subject to disqualification and visa refusal for cases in which the photographs are not recent, show manipulation in any way, or fail to meet the specifications explained in the entry instructions. (I would also add that if the quality of the originally entered photo is so poor that we can't tell if you're the same person, you are probably not going to get a visa from us.)

• In addition to the above, each applicant must show that he or she has no ineligibilities which would prevent him or her from immigrating to the United States.

Please note that there are a limited number of visas available, and the number of visas available is less than the number of applications selected. Applicants who honor their original appointment are given first priority for these visas; applicants with complete documentation for their previously rescheduled interview will be given second preference; all others will be considered only if slots become available.

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (66)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / USA Visit Visa Part 4

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.