Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,641 members, 7,889,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 10:02 PM

Xenophobia: Nigeria And South Africa Have Now A Bad Record - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Xenophobia: Nigeria And South Africa Have Now A Bad Record (2371 Views)

Falana Fires Back At Okonjo Iweala Saying She A Very Bad Record .... Hmmmmm / Xenophobia: Nigeria Gives South Africa 24hours Ultimatum. Threatens Action / Should Africa Have Nuclear Weapons? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Xenophobia: Nigeria And South Africa Have Now A Bad Record by panafrican(m): 3:25pm On May 22, 2008
During the 1980s under Shehu shagari, Nigeria kicked out, in a very brutal manner, millions of african immigrants accusing them of corruption and burglary. Today South Africans are doing the same thing.
Two nations with a very bad record. Where is this continent going ?

Re: Xenophobia: Nigeria And South Africa Have Now A Bad Record by Nobody: 3:47pm On May 22, 2008
When Nigerians were kicking the immigrants out in the 80s, they didnt burn some to death. Ok?

Where is the continent going? Do you mean the barbaric African continent?
Did they tell you that they want to go somewhere? Even if they decide to go somewhere, the roads are bad. Ask Allison Madueke. grin

Abeg. , . . . . . Africa has shown that she is okay with status quo.
Re: Xenophobia: Nigeria And South Africa Have Now A Bad Record by nwansukka(f): 7:51pm On May 22, 2008
Turn back a few leafs in history and you will find that other nations have been twice as 'barbaric' as Africa in their treatment of the [/i]other [i] but let's not get into that.

Besides I think that people are somewhat territorial (by nature) and feel as strongly/xenophobic as some of the South Africans. The same could happen in the west. It's the forbidding arm of the law that keeps sentiments in check.
Re: Xenophobia: Nigeria And South Africa Have Now A Bad Record by Spermdrops(m): 11:47pm On May 22, 2008
Another South Africa Vs Nigeria thread?

Una no get work at all! Please go and find out what kind of disease Yaradua has before it spreads all over Africa unchecked. The color of his skin is always changing like that of a "Karma Chameleon"!
Re: Xenophobia: Nigeria And South Africa Have Now A Bad Record by TheSly: 11:50pm On May 22, 2008
Spermdrops:

Another South Africa Vs Nigeria thread?

Una no get work at all! Please go and find out what kind of disease Yaradua has before it spreads all over Africa unchecked. The color of his skin is always changing like that of a "Karma Chameleon"!
grin grin grin grin
This Mrs American woman self. . . . . . .Na wah!!
Re: Xenophobia: Nigeria And South Africa Have Now A Bad Record by Kobojunkie: 12:04am On May 23, 2008
nwansukka:

Turn back a few leafs in history and you will find that other nations have been twice as 'barbaric' as Africa in their treatment of the [/i]other [i] but let's not get into that.

Besides I think that people are somewhat territorial (by nature) and feel as strongly/xenophobic as some of the South Africans. The same could happen in the west. It's the forbidding arm of the law that keeps sentiments in check.

Wonderful then,  we can all sit back and relax since some people in past history have been twice as barbaric and the same could happen in the west. Africa is in GREAT SHAPE then. I mean as long as we can find the same faults in the west if we dig deeper, then we are all good. WOOHOOO!!
Re: Xenophobia: Nigeria And South Africa Have Now A Bad Record by Mustay(m): 11:43am On Jul 04, 2008
[center]Xenophobia is foreign to me — Mbeki[/center]

The attacks on foreign nationals in May this year — which left 62 people dead and thousands displaced — were, rather, the direct result of[b] “naked criminal activity”, [/b]Mbeki said.

He was speaking at a tribute to the victims of the xenophobic violence, held at the Pretoria City Hall. It was attended by cabinet ministers, politicians, religious leaders and families of victims.

While Mbeki offered the country’s apologies for the attacks, vowing they would never happen again, he vehemently denied that xenophobia was behind “the dark days of May”.

Referring to his visits to urban and rural areas across the country, Mbeki said it was clear to him that foreigners had been accepted by local communities.

“When I heard some accuse my people of xenophobia, of hatred of foreigners, I wondered what the accusers knew about my people, that I did not know,” he said.

These masses [South Africans] are neither antipathetic towards nor do they hate foreigners.

“And this I must also say: none in our society has any right to encourage or incite xenophobia by trying to explain naked criminal activity by cloaking it in the garb of xenophobia.

To support his assertions, Mbeki said the violence was not targeted at poorer immigrants.

“Those who have eyes to see will have seen that much of the violence we experienced was targeted at the immigrants who had property to loot. Those who have eyes to see will have seen that the majority of the immigrants who live in conditions of poverty, as do many of our people, were not attacked,” he said.

But Mbeki did not mention the attacks on jobless foreigners at the Central Methodist Church in Johannesburg or the necklacing of a Mozambican man in the poor Ramaphosa informal settlement outside Boksburg.

Mbeki, who has been accused of being out of touch before, said there “are some in our country who will charge that what I have said constitutes a denial of our reality”.

Mbeki offered South Africa’s apologies to the rest of the world: “I humbly convey our apology that we allowed criminals in our midst to inflict terrible pain and damage to many in our society.”

Minister of Safety and Security Charles Nqakula said that 21 of the 62 people killed during the attacks were South African.

He said the government’s reintegration plan for those displaced to return to their communities were well under way.

Currently, about 9 000 people are still living at the temporary refugee shelters set up after the attacks. Some 5175 are in the Western Cape and more than 3 000 in Gauteng.

According to Nqakula, some of the bodies found during the attacks had not yet been identified.

Their fingerprints are not on our systems, which means their movement into this country was not documented,” he said.

As part of the government’s plan to deal with the more than 1200 people arrested for xenophobic crimes, special courts were set up in the Western Cape and Gauteng.

Those arrested face charges including murder, attempted murder, robbery, arson and public violence.
Re: Xenophobia: Nigeria And South Africa Have Now A Bad Record by panafrican(m): 3:13am On Jul 05, 2008
sad
Mbeki is whining about his people's image being damaged,well  africans  also are disgusted  about innocent foreigners  being burned alive, foreign women being raped, foreign children crying in front of the dead body of their beloved father whose dream was to find something better for his kids. Why did it take so long for Mbeki to react?
A simple discourse in a City Hall won't bring back the dead. And rethoric about south africans " hospitality"  won't overshadow the ugly facts.
Re: Xenophobia: Nigeria And South Africa Have Now A Bad Record by naijacutee(f): 11:40am On Jul 05, 2008
It's a natural animal instinct to want to be with your own kind, hence I'm sure every nation on the planet has been xenophobic to some extent at one point in their existence or the other. Even if you retract back to of Biblical times, Israeli fathers told their sons not to marry from outside their communities, Moses killed a person for killing one of his own etc. It's human nature, even though I do not condone it.
Re: Xenophobia: Nigeria And South Africa Have Now A Bad Record by panafrican(m): 2:34pm On Jul 05, 2008
One calls this Excuses.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria To Start Exporting Cement By 2011 -dangote / Un / NAFDAC DG, Ministers Escape Air Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.