Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,227 members, 7,919,932 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 04:26 PM

Blatter: Still Time For 2022 Qatar World Cup Winter Switch - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Blatter: Still Time For 2022 Qatar World Cup Winter Switch (550 Views)

[PHOTO] The V*gina Stadium: Design For Qatar’s World Cup Purpose-built Stadium / Vagina Stadium: Design For Qatar's World Cup Purpose- Built Stadium Release / Photo:- Qatar World Cup Organizers Criticized For Making Vagina Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blatter: Still Time For 2022 Qatar World Cup Winter Switch by Nobody: 1:44am On Jul 18, 2013
The boss of world football's governing body is determined to switch the 2022 World Cup to the winter because of the intense Qatar summer heat.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter plans discussions over the change, which would cause major disruption to various domestic leagues, with his executive committee in October.

He said: "We still have enough time.

Sepp Blatter believes there is still time to switch the 2022 World Cup to winter

"The executive committee will certainly follow my proposal. Then we will have dealt with the topic for good."

Temperatures can hit 50C in Qatar, with games scheduled to be played in air-conditioned stadiums.

But Blatter said: "The World Cup must be a festival of the people. But for it to be such a festival, you can't play football in the summer.

"You can cool down the stadiums but you can't cool down the whole country and you can't simply cool down the ambience of a World Cup. The players must be able to play in the best conditions to play a good World Cup."

Speaking via video link, the head of Qatar's organising committee, Hassan Al-Thawadi, told the conference in Austria: "If it's a wish of the football community to have the World Cup in winter, then we are open to that."

Blatter said his change of heart had followed medical information about the effects of the heat on players.

"There has been a fresh medical investigation into what it would be like to play football there in the summer and we have to take into account the health, not of the spectators, but of the players," he told Sky Germany.

Moving the World Cup to the winter would significantly impact on the the European leagues. Many leagues outside Britain have a winter break but they would need a hiatus of at least six weeks to accommodate national teams preparing for, and playing at, the World Cup finals.

"We have to have the courage - that is Fifa's executive committee - to play this World Cup in the winter and to start to work out now what impact this will have on the international calendar," Blatter added.

"It would only be for one year, afterwards you'd be back to the normal routine. But I will advocate that."

Qatar defeated bids from South Korea, Japan, Australia and the United States to win a ballot of Fifa's 22 executive members for the right to host the 2022 World Cup.

Meanwhile, Blatter said Brazil might have been the wrong choice to host the 2014 World Cup if the tournament is affected by the wave of protests seen at the Confederations Cup last month.

Hundreds of thousands of Brazilians took to the streets expressing their anger over the costs to stage the World Cup and demanding better public services.

"If this happens again we have to question whether we made the wrong decision awarding the hosting rights," Blatter said.

"We didn't do a political debriefing, but we did emphasise the fact of this social unrest being there for the entire duration of the Confederations Cup.

"The government is now aware that next year the World Cup shouldn't be disturbed."

He added: "It's not we who have to learn lessons from the protests in Brazil; politics in Brazil have to do that."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23351824
Re: Blatter: Still Time For 2022 Qatar World Cup Winter Switch by sojihandsome: 10:53am On Jul 19, 2013
Hope Noting will happen to the Date of the next year World cup if 2022 will be shifted
Re: Blatter: Still Time For 2022 Qatar World Cup Winter Switch by Afam4eva(m): 11:00am On Jul 19, 2013
The hotter the better abeg. I can't imagine a world cup match being played amidst snow. This is not a winter world cup. Blatter should shove that plan abeg. The Airconditions in the stadiums are good enough.
Re: Blatter: Still Time For 2022 Qatar World Cup Winter Switch by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jul 19, 2013
Afam4eva: The hotter the better abeg. I can't imagine a world cup match being played amidst snow. This is not a winter world cup. Blatter should shove that plan abeg. The Airconditions in the stadiums are good enough.

It does not snow in Qatar at any time of the year besides Christmas and world cup won't be a bad combo
Re: Blatter: Still Time For 2022 Qatar World Cup Winter Switch by Afam4eva(m): 1:02pm On Jul 19, 2013
Obiagelli:
It does not snow in Qatar at any time of the year besides Christmas and world cup won't be a bad combo
So, what does winter mean if it does not snow? Permit my ignorance.
Re: Blatter: Still Time For 2022 Qatar World Cup Winter Switch by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
So, what does winter mean if it does not snow? Permit my ignorance.
They want to move the 2022 world cup to winter(dec-feb) because it extremely hot in Qatar(the host country) around summer the usual world cup time(july- Aug).
Re: Blatter: Still Time For 2022 Qatar World Cup Winter Switch by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jul 19, 2013
FIFA made a grave error in awarding the hosting rights to Qatar, a country where summer temperatures are as high as 40C or 50C! Surely, some "brown envelopes" were exchanged during voting process. The US or Australia would have been better options, but common sense is mainly not synonymous with the suits at FIFA.
The plan to install airconditioners in the stadia sound plausible, but as the corrupt Blatter himself implied, you can't cool the entire country. I just hope Qatar has enough oil money to pay compensation to the Western European league that will lose 10s of billions of $$ in lost revenue, if this plan ever comes to fruition.
Re: Blatter: Still Time For 2022 Qatar World Cup Winter Switch by Nobody: 12:22am On Jul 20, 2013
Why Qatar anyways ? undecided

I pity the players, its practically playing in the desert.
Re: Blatter: Still Time For 2022 Qatar World Cup Winter Switch by Afam4eva(m): 12:32am On Jul 20, 2013
adaobi123: Why Qatar anyways ? undecided

I pity the players, its practically playing in the desert.
I remember i wasn't happy about the rights being awarded to Qatar because the first thing that came to my mind was that Qatar was an Islamic country and the fun associated with the world-cup will be reduced due to the many Islamic laws in that country. Of course, coupled with the heat. In a opposite reaction, i was happy when the 2014 world cup was awarded to Brazil. It's countries like Brazil that should be hosting the world cup. I also hope the US hosts the world cup again but it may not be soon due to the fact that they hosted it in 1994.
Re: Blatter: Still Time For 2022 Qatar World Cup Winter Switch by Nobody: 12:41am On Jul 20, 2013
Afam4eva:
I remember i wasn't happy about the rights being awarded to Qatar because the first thing that came to my mind was that Qatar was an Islamic country and the fun associated with the world-cup will be reduced due to the many Islamic laws in that country. Of course, coupled with the heat. In a opposite reaction, i was happy when the 2014 world cup was awarded to Brazil. It's countries like Brazil that should be hosting the world cup. I also hope the US hosts the world cup again but it may not be soon due to the fact that they hosted it in 1994.

Yeah same here. I don't see Qatar as a football nation. I still don't understand why they were given the rights. Because they have plenty money ? undecided

The weather is another disadvantage. Heat stroke and dehydration will be a major cause of players not playing up to their potential.

Yes. Brazil will be a good world cup to watch. Brazillians will go down to be the most decorated footballers ever !

America and football shouldn't be in the same sentence. angry
Re: Blatter: Still Time For 2022 Qatar World Cup Winter Switch by Nobody: 12:44am On Jul 20, 2013
Afam4eva:

Yeah, I was also hoping the US will get to host in 2022; but I guess officials of the US Soccer Federation refused to part with bribes or kick-backs. I guess the US or Nigeria will get the 2026 WC.
The 1994 World Cup is the most profitable to date.
Re: Blatter: Still Time For 2022 Qatar World Cup Winter Switch by Afam4eva(m): 12:46am On Jul 20, 2013
adaobi123:
America and football shouldn't be in the same sentence. angry[/b]
Maybe you're right. But as far as hosting goes, they're good to go. The US 94 world cup is still adjudged one of the best ever. They sure know how to host events.
Re: Blatter: Still Time For 2022 Qatar World Cup Winter Switch by Nobody: 12:47am On Jul 20, 2013
Afam4eva:
Maybe you're right. But as far as hosting goes, they're good to go. The US 94 world cup is still adjudged one of the best ever. They sure know how to host events.
And the US is one of the few countries that can host a World Cup at a moment's notice.
Re: Blatter: Still Time For 2022 Qatar World Cup Winter Switch by Afam4eva(m): 12:51am On Jul 20, 2013
CFCfan:
And the US is one of the few countries that can host a World Cup at a moment's notice.
Exactly. They may not even need to build new stadiums like most countries do.
Re: Blatter: Still Time For 2022 Qatar World Cup Winter Switch by Nobody: 12:51am On Jul 20, 2013
Afam4eva:

Yeah Americans like to go big with everything.

CFCfan:

You guys probably have a stadium in every street. America is mad sport orientated.

(1) (Reply)

Pregnant Former Olympian Suddenly Collapses And Dies In Restaurant / Time For Arsenal Fans To Port / Mrs. Wenger Wants A New Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.