Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,177 members, 7,903,891 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 July 2024 at 11:52 PM

Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled (34418 Views)

Poll: University students expelled for not carrying along their bibles to assembly! This:

Outrageous: 80% (226 votes)
Justified: 19% (54 votes)
This poll has ended

Jane Ihuoma-Ottah Expelled From RUST Over Of Hearing & Speech Problem / Lesbianism Scandal Rocks Kogi University / 3 Covenant University Students Expelled Over Live Sex, Unclad Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by spoilt(f): 4:55pm On Jul 05, 2008
davidylan:

To be candid, the man is another money-grabbing dictator in religious garb.

easy now. grin
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by na2day2(m): 5:27pm On Jul 05, 2008
the fact that some of u run out here to give support to this illegal action makes me really wonder what is the true meaning of education. are u supporting this action because u went to the same school or u belong to Living Faith church? there is a reason why God gave u a brain, use it to reason properly before u come here giving blind support. if the actions where right, where does that place Christ? if u want to truly justify the actions, let them expel every church member that dont come to church with their bibles(including the ones that give fat check for offerings) and expel every one that didnt hold their morning devotion, na yam! angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by chuksloy: 6:58pm On Jul 05, 2008
anybody who supports convenant university on their act must be totally insane and very very stupid. how will you feel if God decide to destroy your entire family because non of you brushed your teeth in the morning. if you feel its ok, then i have nothing more to say.
let me give you the insight. this students where not just expelled because they didnt have their bible with them. but to reduce the population of students that the school can accomodate.
i think it is high time the nigeria government should create a new body that will regulate the rules and regulation of private schools and universities in nigeria.

once again i see it as total madness for any human with hearth and worships a good God to do this kind of thing. calculate the millions wasted by this individuals. and not to speak of the phsycological effect that will live with this guys for the rest of their live.

www.fashonplc.com
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by ovadose(f): 11:54am On Jul 06, 2008
SOmetimes it is hard to understand the purpose of certain instituitions. Is Convenant grooming adults or spitting out 22 year old kids back into society with Diplomas in hand.
It is a wonder some of the best Higher education instituitions are located in certain places.

God help them sha.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by na2day2(m): 5:38pm On Jul 06, 2008
ovadose:

SOmetimes it is hard to understand the purpose of certain instituitions. Is Convenant grooming adults or spitting out 22 year old kids back into society with Diplomas in hand.
It is a wonder some of the best Higher education instituitions are located in certain places.

God help them sha.

the thing tire me sister, i never see this kin crap for my life before sad sad sad
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by atutupoyo(f): 6:39pm On Jul 06, 2008
Touch not my anointed and do my prophet no harm, lets be careful what we say about Oyedepo(sorry don't know his prefix)

The sch is trying to produce graduates with good character,
I feel since is a Christan sch, it's meant to reform people, students dat public (fed and states) schools cant handle, when people commit offends they are to forgive and show them the right way to behave not throw them to the wolves in the world. When they are thrown away from conventant where are they to go to?

The sch is producing some good graduate but I believe many of them are hypocrites, They are forced to go to church what happens when they come out and don't have any one to force them to go to church ?

Guys and gals are not to seen together except they are around class area or the chapel (if this true), how will they perform in their work place where they are expected to work with d opposite sex.

I feel as ADULTS they should be shown the way but allowed to move on their own, u cant spoon-feed an adult how do u expect him or her live in this harsh world?, these are the type dat fall on rocky soil, they germinate but soon die cos the environment is too harsh.
Thank U.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by na2day2(m): 8:05pm On Jul 06, 2008
atutupoyo:

Touch not my anointed and do my prophet no harm, lets be careful what we say about Oyedepo(sorry don't know his prefix)

The sch is trying to produce graduates with good character,
I feel since is a Christan sch, it's meant to reform people, students that public (fed and states) schools can't handle, when people commit offends they are to forgive and show them the right way to behave not throw them to the wolves in the world. When they are thrown away from conventant where are they to go to?

The sch is producing some good graduate but I believe many of them are hypocrites, They are forced to go to church what happens when they come out and don't have any one to force them to go to church ?

Guys and gals are not to seen together except they are around class area or the chapel (if this true), how will they perform in their work place where they are expected to work with d opposite sex.

I feel as ADULTS they should be shown the way but allowed to move on their own, u can't spoon-feed an adult how do u expect him or her live in this harsh world?, these are the type that fall on rocky soil, they germinate but soon die because the environment is too harsh.
Thank You.

no offence but king david was God's anointed too but he messed up also like many of us do, but the difference between him and many nigerian pastors, is that he acknowledges when he is wrong and will make amends, God forbid that a nigerian pastor admits to his/her faults. if Covenant University was Jesus, Peter would have gotten a one way ticket to hell for denying him 3 times and folks like me wont have been given that unmerited favor of grace to be saved from sin. we want to train Godly folks to be a shinning example in our society today? do it with simplicity and mercy, fairness and not with high handedness, period!
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by victorayo: 11:00am On Jul 07, 2008
Nna e get as e be oooo! Sanity!
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by DejiYesufu(m): 12:04pm On Jul 07, 2008
chuksloy:

anybody who supports convenant university on their act must be totally insane and very very stupid. how will you feel if God decide to destroy your entire family because non of you brushed your teeth in the morning. if you feel its ok, then i have nothing more to say.
let me give you the insight. this students where not just expelled because they didnt have their bible with them. but to reduce the population of students that the school can accomodate.
i think it is high time the nigeria government should create a new body that will regulate the rules and regulation of private schools and universities in nigeria.

once again i see it as total madness for any human with hearth and worships a good God to do this kind of thing. calculate the millions wasted by this individuals. and not to speak of the phsycological effect that will live with this guys for the rest of their live.

www.fashonplc.com
angry easy, easy my guy its not a matter of life and death; just enjoy the topic
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by victorayo: 12:30pm On Jul 07, 2008
Although, what the students were said to have done, if it is true may not be good enough. But the question is, the punishment is not too grave than the gravity of the offence?
I believe that Jesus Christ didn't show us how to treat people with ignominy and wreckless abandon in the name of religion obligations. I thought that Christians are supposed to follow the examples of Jesus Christ and not implementing human principles and self righteousness. Where can the action of expelling 120 students be rightfully placed or aligned in the Bible?
Sebi Jesus Christ knew from the begining that Judas Iscariot was a betrayal, yet He (Jesus) did not incaserate him. He (Jesus) even told Peter, that you are going to deny me three times, yet He (Jesus) did not denegrate him for that. What about the issue of Herod the teratch? yet Jesus Christ did not command his angels to destroy the man. The woman caught in adultery was to be stoned to death, Jesus Christ intervened and saved the situation. So, what are we talking about? We should be humane in all our dealings. I beg u.
This is what I think Christianity is all about-teaching with human feelings and mercies.
Let us not forget that no one can create a society of piece until the person is first full at piece within himself.
I wish that we will stop chasing shadows.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by janami(f): 2:14pm On Jul 07, 2008
o ga o
some people are yet to understand the meaning of the word "private" No be govt inst. wot the man does in his skool is his business especially if those who are enrolling in it are privy of the rules. They sign up to d skool of their own free will.
Anyway, sm pple has been mantioning Jesus' name, even God's grace will stop one day if taken for granted
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by victorayo: 4:42pm On Jul 07, 2008
Janami, "private" you said? No wonder even the Kidnapers, the Armed Rubbers and the touts are already calling their heinous ventures "private business" in Nigeria. For God's sake, for how longer are we going to be unjustly suffering one another in the name of "private business"?
Remember that Nigeria is not a jungle. Human to human is no longer private. So, let's be mindful of how we treat one another even under the private mileu so that Nigeria can be a better place for all of us. Wrong can never make a right no matter how it is painted even if it is painted with religious 'paint'. Expelling 120 students at a go is not the best. let's call spade spade.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by janami(f): 7:12pm On Jul 07, 2008
u see urself now? NO ONE WAS EXPELLED. And if they were, seeing that it is none of my business, i wnt go personal like some people have been doing. some have even gone as far as calling a man of God a thief. one doesnt have to read far to see what pple who blasphemed a man of God had to face in the bible times.
i really wonder what is really paining people. The pple concerned are not here lambasting anyone. no CU student, past or current is here saying anything, how come it is those that are least affected that are screaming blue murder?
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by oolumide: 7:42pm On Jul 07, 2008
I think Oyedepo and his cohorts need to get there heads examined. Like it is said, they came for the Jew I did not say anything, They came for the Chinese I did not say anything, they came for the Negro I did not say anything, when they came for me there was nobody to defend me. The other news carried it that This same school refused to graduate people that were HIV positive. And I ask if they are that ignorant of the fact that HIV is not through sex alone, a so called university advocating for social stigmatization of people. Many of us can see beyond the holier than thou attitude of oyedepo. We must stop this draconian way of life before it becomes uncontrollable. Does not GOd have systemic way of dealing with his people.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by janami(f): 7:51pm On Jul 07, 2008
hmmm . . . . some people in my set did strong head and didnt do the test and they graduated. after d test, sm pple were found to be HIV positive, were contacted privately of the results and they also graduated. All those who didnt graduate was based on their academic performance. my course mate was heavily pregnant and she also graduated. Now how true is dis news?
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by OMOADISA(m): 8:33pm On Jul 07, 2008
na waoooooooooooooooooo.upon all the money dey paid for tuition fees.r dey goin to refund?
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by kobomoje(m): 3:43am On Jul 08, 2008
Person wey go SEMINARY suppose kno say him plus im bible must 2 dey waka efri time, abi i lie?

CONVENANT
BABCOCK
BOWEN
, all of dem na seminary no b university!
IGBINEDON, na adult Daycare for rich man pikin!
grin

1 Like

Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by victorayo: 10:30am On Jul 08, 2008
Dem think sey Naijiria Gbagbakugba. sebi, d country wey law no dey na there them they do anytin. Money go cause plenty wahala for us in this country, if care ,

Let's stop devilish principles, draconial and obnoxious laws!
We are no animals. I think it is time we put a stop to animalistic rules.
Polices or laws without human face are useless, baseless and arbitrary.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by VLove(f): 11:58am On Jul 08, 2008
I think they were too xtrim. I believe they should practice wot they preach.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by victez: 1:39pm On Jul 08, 2008
Covenant University is one of the glorified secondary schools we have in this country which also includes Madonna University. So dont blame them next thing they will be talking about expelling students who did not take their bath or eat their breakfast b4 coming to class.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by philiptowo: 2:34pm On Jul 08, 2008
You guys shouldn't believe all u see in the news papers. I can't imagine educated people like you reading THE SUN news papers,they never tell you the truth.You need to find out what went wrong before you guys conclude on the CU issue.It wasn't just assembly but a SPIRITUAL WEEK OF EMPHASIS.how can you go to the exam hall without a pen in your hand?it leads to failure right, so think twice.The rules were there before they applied to CU,so whatever happens they signed the oath to abide by the rules anytime,anyday,
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by victorayo: 3:34pm On Jul 08, 2008
Punishment should only be commensurate to an offence. No one is saying that the students did right, but it is only too bad when a mother decides to throw a bad water together with the child just because she told the child not to poopoo inside the water while barthing. Let's be courageous to tell ourselves the truth no matter who may be involved. Wickedness is wickedness any day any time any where. Do you believe that there are other possible ways the students could have been better punished without necessarily jeopardizing their destiny?

Aba! Let's be fair. Let us not be hiding under the canopy of Christianity to harm ourselves. I believe that's not what Jesus Christ stands for. If Jesus were to be here, in that situation, what would He have done? of course, he wouldn't have taken that drastic step. Remember, getting cash now a days is not an easy task. Yoruba adage goes - any one who says head has no bone should touch his own.

If we must move this country forward, we must be ready to operate with heart of flesh and not iron.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by sayhi2ay(m): 3:50pm On Jul 08, 2008
I really do not blame the school but the government we have, if they had created good environment where people dont have to be too dependent on school or getting BSc to survive, schools would be begging to admit students,
bill gates is a college drop out, he didnt drop out cos he didnt have money to pay or because he was dull, he dropped out cos he was learning nothing new, but if the environment doesnt accommodate for prosperity in the absence of education, would he dare drop out ?
let the government pls do something to youth empowerment,
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by sturvs: 2:40am On Jul 09, 2008
look i went to a religious private university and i agree some of their rules dont make sense in the secular world, but if they set the rules, and you agree to abide by them when ure admitted, the school has every right to expel offenders.

private universities are NOT public property and can set whatever rules they want. if i start a university today and say all my students must wear a uniform (lol), thats my rule & students have to abide by it.

if u dont wanna abide by such rules simply go to OSU or LASU for school. there u'll have to abide by "settings" & cult rules anyway.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by victorayo: 8:57am On Jul 09, 2008
I don't blame you. Is it not because we are in a country where there is no order and everybody now think, he could do whatever he or she likes?
The fact that you have freedom does not mean it should be miss used in the name of private organization. Remember, what you are calling private is not existing in the air. It is a sub system in a larger system. The same excesses goes for the case of Teachers not being properly remunerated in this country. Yet we think we are all doing the right thing. I wonder why we are so comfortable with dilapidated rules.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 09, 2008
For peeps like me that went to OSU, I just can't get over everything I hear about CU, its crazy, undergraduates, shuo!!!!
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by tundebabzy: 1:17pm On Jul 09, 2008
private xtian schools are full of young children who are never going to get sharp because they are locked up in school and forced to do everything. Tell me somthing new abeg. meanwhile i went to a private school sha-Bowen though personally i wish i went to CU because i know that if in CU, if i dont graduate with a first class, it'd be a very very strong 2.1.
Imagine, CU graduated 65 first class students last year. That is more than the sum of first class graduates that my school has released in its three convocations. After paying all that big money, Bowen tells us that 'We are maintaining a standard' and those fucking UI,OAU and Lautech lecturers make us sweat blood before we get decent grades (not top grades o). When i graduated last year, my department produced only 2 first class student (Economics) and both of them had 4.50. The highest grade in some depts was 2.2. the whole school had only 18 yet convenant that is 'not maintaining any standard' is bagging all the jobs in the country for their students (No disrespect to my CU friends). Now tell me y when Oyedepo says you should come to service with your bible you decide to disobey. You are even supposed to carry like 4 extra bibles. At least you are going to graduate with a good grade (only if you are a complete block head or you are just rich). I'm not trying to say we should all be kissing Oyedepo's ass (he's very blessed by God so whether you like it or not, people are going to be kissing his ass. Infact i advise you to kiss his ass anytime you get the chance. Me i'm looking for that chance); i'm just saying that you stand a lot to gain when you follow simple and crazy rules in CU.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by peace5050: 2:13pm On Jul 09, 2008
I av respect for the MAN of GOD , bishop oyedo , his doing a great job , but and but the school authority should have applied wisdom , the same bible says all have sinned and come short of his glory , we sin every day yet GOD forgives us , his tender mercies are long lasting . One thing about jesus in his time he knew the scriptures and laws yet he often times hard to bend them, he dinned with sinner , he knew judas would betray , yet he never orders his angel to smite judas with sickness or did he expell judas from his fold , even though he knew the laws . Finally brethen we are commanded to love , LOVE is the greatest virtue any MAN OR WOMAN OF GOD or evn institution can offer . LOVE is cardinal .

smiley
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by creamdream: 3:05pm On Jul 09, 2008
@post
too much, too hasty and too harsh justice delivery, IF MEN WERE GOD, ??
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by bestiely: 8:15pm On Jul 09, 2008
guys do not be sarcastic, evry private sch has its rules u either play or be played out of the game grin grin grin
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by tipsy289(m): 9:17pm On Jul 09, 2008
Wow my friend told me this like a month ago and i thought he was joking.
I just dont know what to say about CU, imagine being in ur final year and this has to happen,so 2/3/4 yrs of what?Nothing
I think they need a student federation(not the straight from the bible people) seriously,the students need to voice this out and how this makes life uncomfortable,
Everyday,the authority will say do this and that, if you dont ur the black sheep of the school(wrong mentality).I really hope stories like this change very soon
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Blessed2k: 11:33am On Jul 10, 2008
Not the whole 120 were expelled just about 66 the others were pardoned because they records in the school were clean

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

ASUU To Begin Strike 2nd Of October / How Good Are You In English Language, Check This Out / UNIOSUN Lecturer Sex Scandal: "Nothing Is Going To Change My Love For You" -Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.