Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,368 members, 7,950,771 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 09:45 PM

Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes (20571 Views)

Bad Condition Of Enugu-Onitsha Express Way Being Washed By Erosion (Pics) / Atiku Abubakar Hanging Out With His Daughter / Nkpor Express Way Anambra State About To Be Washed By Flood Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by naptu2: 8:56am On Jul 28, 2013
Every government has various ministries that cater for the different sectors that the government oversees. The ministry of health oversees healthcare, ministry of education oversees education, etc.

It is the job of the Commissioner for the Environment to oversee environmental matters, which is what he is doing. I don't expect him to discuss issues that are outside his purview.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by dabossman(m): 9:07am On Jul 28, 2013
lovetterrison:

Obsessed with western culture you're so delusional,what is your forefather's mentality? poverty and backwardness right?SMH
Don't mind that dolo. My late semi-illiterate grandfather never allowed his tenants to spread clothes on the balcony railings of his house in Mushin of all places as far back as the 70's and 80's. He provided clothlines at the back of the house. Its a shame that "educated" people on Nairaland will even be excusing this dirty practice.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by dabossman(m): 9:08am On Jul 28, 2013
lovetterrison:

Obsessed with western culture you're so delusional,what is your forefather's mentality? poverty and backwardness right?SMH
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Aderostock(m): 9:10am On Jul 28, 2013
pro01:

You are evidently concussed by virulent cluelessness. What has my Igboness (of which I am extremely proud, by the way) got to do with the fact that this new policy is unnecessary? Since you are talking about "culture", I remember you twerps supported the shameful idea of institutionised extortionism in the name of Baba Oloja and Iya Oloja. Would you find such nonsense in the modern mega cities like New York and London that Lagos is trying to emulate? Oh, yet it is suddenly not in your culture to hang your own clothes on your own balcony in your own house? Is that a bigger priority than banning the illegal nonsense called Iya Oloja or Baba Oloja. . .and not to mention the Omo Onile extortion rackets that the LASG apparently condones? Or are these more acceptable aspects of your culture than hanging clothes on your balcony?

We are not deceived. There are other things that are bigger priorities, if indeed we want to make Lagis a modern city. Stop fooling yourselves.

I don't think you know the meaning of culture and tradition. for you to call babaloja and iyaloja nonsense, it shows you don't know anything abt culture and for you calling spreading of clothes in PUBLIC PLACES a culture again shows you don't know what you are typing. u can be a graduate but you have a very low IQ.
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Caracta(f): 9:12am On Jul 28, 2013
Bigcake: Nonsense, is dat the only ting govt can see? Cant they see bad roads n dilapidated schools begging for atention?

And you think the government is not doing anything about bad roads and schools? You must think Fashola is a magician or a wizard. I'll wait to you become a governor so you can transform a very bad state to a glorious one within 3 months.
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by duni04(m): 9:15am On Jul 28, 2013
dabossman:
Don't mind that dolo. My late semi-illiterate grandfather never allowed his tenants to spread clothes on the balcony railings of his house in Mushin of all places as far back as the 70's and 80's. He provided clothlines at the back of the house. Its a shame that "educated" people on Nairaland will even be excusing this dirty practice.
Wots educated about that? sealing off my house because of clothes? Do you know that these area boys, touts and local governmen pple will use this s-tupid reasoning of the commissioner to start extorting people?
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by goldfish80(m): 9:17am On Jul 28, 2013
Nigerians never cease to amaze me. The topic headline clearly states 'Lagos to ban buildings with indiscriminate spread of washed cloths' and people here are talking about those spreading their cloths at bridges and flyover WtF?
I ask,how many times have you left your house to go spread and wash your cloths on the bridge or flyover? The Government is clearly saying that they would clamp down on people who spread their cloths on their balconies etall.And With the use of the word 'indiscriminate' in this context,its open to the interpretation of the lastma thugs and the tax enforcers what is discriminate and indiscriminate.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Caracta(f): 9:18am On Jul 28, 2013
Bigcake: Misplaced priorities. How will dat put food on d table for the common man?

You are still waiting for the government to put food on your table? Correct!
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Homme(m): 9:19am On Jul 28, 2013
I like that move, other ACN states most especially Oyo State (Ibadan), the largest city in West Africa, should also emulate this development.
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Caracta(f): 9:22am On Jul 28, 2013
goldfish80: Nigerians never cease to amaze me. The topic headline clearly states 'Lagos to ban buildings with indiscriminate spread of washed cloths' and people here are talking about those spreading their cloths at bridges and flyover WtF?
I ask,how many times have you left your house to go spread and wash your cloths on the bridge or flyover? The Government is clearly saying that they would clamp down on people who spread their cloths on their balconies etall.And With the use of the word 'indiscriminate' in this context,its open to the interpretation of the lastma thugs and the tax enforcers what is discriminate and indiscriminate.

Obviously, you have not been to certain crazy parts in Lagos. I see no reason why you should "preach" against them since you obviously don't understand the issue on ground.
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Homme(m): 9:25am On Jul 28, 2013
Nice move Lagos State. Other ACN States should also emulate the development.
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by dabossman(m): 9:30am On Jul 28, 2013
duni04:
Wots educated about that? sealing off my house because of clothes? Do you know that these area boys, touts and local governmen pple will use this s-tupid reasoning of the commissioner to start extorting people?
The question you should be asking is 'will touts extort you if you simply do what is sensibly right?' How hard is it to run a clothline at the back of your house, away from public view? Poverty doesn't equate to squalor and tardiness. I hope you know that?
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 28, 2013
dabossman:
And what about landlords who do not and cannot provide clothes lines at the back of the house due to limited space and whatnot? What should the tenants do?

Have you not seen some houses in Lagos where there isn't even enough space to park a motorcycle, let alone space for clothes lines; some of these houses have over a hundred inhabitants with little extra space for anything.

You think someone living in a big enough compound, with designated clothes lines in the backyard would prefer to hang their clothes on the fence? That is the problem with some of us: we are so self-centred and smug that we do not take time to empathise with other people's situations. Reminds me of the Okada ban imbroglio. Because some of us are privileged to have private cars, we think the millions others that do not have that privilege - who would suffer the hardships associated with that policy - should go to hell, even when there are clearly no alternatives.

I assume that many of the "educated" people condemning this senseless policy here do have clothes lines in thier houses, and do use them. However, they are fair-minded and sensible enough to know that the majority of Lagos residents live in houses where there are no clothes lines, or where the available ones are not sufficient to serve all the residents because of limited space. What should they do? Spread their clothes in their living rooms?

In a poor and underdeveloped country such as ours with limited options, why should a serious government waste valuable time and resources on enforcing this, of all the more pressing problems facing the populace?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by clint77ng: 9:35am On Jul 28, 2013
anyone that criticizes an ACN gov. is an igbo. does it means yorubas don't criticize their leaders wen they go wrong? so many slowpokes in here.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by duni04(m): 9:36am On Jul 28, 2013
dabossman:
The question you should be asking is 'will touts extort you if you simply do what is sensibly right?' How hard is it to run a clothline at the back of your house, away from public view? Poverty doesn't equate to squalor and tardiness. I hope you know that?
LOL so its now the discretion of the touts to determine how far away from public view my clothes are or not. I can imagine touts going to your house and insisting that the line at the back of your house is visible from outside and then asking you to part with 50k or risk sealing your house. Wonder how you'll feel then
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by dagbokoncept(m): 9:40am On Jul 28, 2013
Am suprised by kind of words pouring out the minds of Nigerians. If many of you have knowledge about the environment and how to sustain it continually,they won't utter disgusting comments concerining the Lagos commissioner for envinronment pronouncement. Spreading of clothes where not appropriate is offensive and degrades the quality of the environment.Its results to nothing but" environmental degradation".
We should all embrace such things and abide to the laws for us to reach where every Nigerian have always dreamt to be.
If our environment is sick ,there is a direct effect on the inhabitants.
Man never knew he had an environment until it became dirty!

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Nobody: 9:45am On Jul 28, 2013
Lagos state own sef is getting too much
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by TechyGuy: 9:46am On Jul 28, 2013
Acidosis:

All these people shouting Lagos this, Lagos that have probably never travelled out of Lagos to other cities..

The neatest place in Lagos is not 'as clean' as the dirtiest place in some Minor cities like Asaba grin

Misplaced priorities..

When people run out of ideas, they think negatively. grin

Must everything be enforced? Are Lagosians adamant agbero animals? Whats wrong with public awareness and enlightment? Must everything be signed into law?
I bet this man has twice the laws in Nigeria 1999 constitution grin

Abuja do not even have a "Governor", yet organised and well coordinated city.

Enforcement this, enforcement that makes the people in the city look like animals..

Thank you for stating the highlighted.
The present supporters of ACN have not realized they are subtly trading their FREEDOM to tyranny.
Wait until Fashola starts arresting people who do not tuck in their dresses on the streets.

That's how they intend to run Nigeria? God forbid!
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by lovetterrison(m): 9:48am On Jul 28, 2013
[quote author=pro01]
And what about landlords who do not and cannot provide clothes lines at the back of the house due to limited space and whatnot? What should the tenants do?

Have you not seen some houses in Lagos where there isn't even enough space to park a motorcycle, let alone space for clothes lines; some of these houses have over a hundred inhabitants with little extra space for anything.

You think someone living in a big enough compound, with designated clothes lines in the backyard would prefer to hang their clothes on the fence? That is the problem with some of us: we are so self-centred and smug that we do not take time to empathise with other people's situations. Reminds me of the Okada ban imbroglio. Because some of us are privileged to have private cars, we think the millions others that do not have that privilege - who would suffer the hardships associated with that policy - should go to hell, even when there are clearly no alternatives.

I assume that many of the "educated" people condemning this senseless policy here do have clothes lines in thier houses, and do use them. However, they are fair-minded and sensible enough to know that the majority of Lagos residents live in houses where there are no clothes lines, or where the available ones are not sufficient to serve all the residents because of limited space. What should they do? Spread their clothes in their living rooms?

In a poor and underdeveloped country such as ours with limited options, why should a serious government waste valuable time and resources on enforcing this, of all the more pressing problems facing the populace?
[/quo

I really don't know why you people cease to amaze me,There are 36 states in nigeria,52 countries in africa if am not mistaken and 196 countries all over the world.. Kindly relocate to a place that could meet up to your standards and obey the law of any land you meet yourself..if you know shanghai ,tokyo ,moscow or newyork is too expensive for you move to a cheaper location and whenever you want to go to an urban area you can easily transport yourself there for sightseeing...Must you live in lagos due to your retarded complains of poverty.A city that is working toward been a megacity and due to your own problem of backwardness and issues of your landlord we should all wait for you to meet up.. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Seyi Makinde: Oyo Won’t Provide Land For Ranching / Matawalle: No More Amnesty For Bandits In Zamfara / How The Federal Capital OF Nigeria Was Moved From Lagos To Abuja.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.