Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,354 members, 7,920,332 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 02:10 AM

Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes (20512 Views)

Bad Condition Of Enugu-Onitsha Express Way Being Washed By Erosion (Pics) / Atiku Abubakar Hanging Out With His Daughter / Nkpor Express Way Anambra State About To Be Washed By Flood Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Nobody: 9:55am On Jul 28, 2013
Bigcake: Misplaced priorities. How will dat put food on d table for the common man?

It is called human rehabilitation leading you being fully civilized

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by naptu2: 9:57am On Jul 28, 2013
pro01:
And what about landlords who do not and cannot provide clothes lines at the back of the house due to limited space and whatnot? What should the tenants do?

Have you not seen some houses in Lagos where there isn't even enough space to park a motorcycle, let alone space for clothes lines; some of these houses have over a hundred inhabitants with little extra space for anything.

You think someone living in a big enough compound, with designated clothes lines in the backyard would prefer to hang their clothes on the fence? That is the problem with some of us: we are so self-centred and smug that we do not take time to empathise with other people's situations. Reminds me of the Okada ban imbroglio. Because some of us are privileged to have private cars, we think the millions others that do not have that privilege - who would suffer the hardships associated with that policy - should go to hell, even when there are clearly no alternatives.

I assume that many of the "educated" people condemning this senseless policy here do have clothes lines in thier houses, and do use them. However, they are fair-minded and sensible enough to know that the majority of Lagos residents live in houses where there are no clothes lines, or where the available ones are not sufficient to serve all the residents because of limited space. What should they do? Spread their clothes in their living rooms?

In a poor and underdeveloped country such as ours with limited options, why should a serious government waste valuable time and resources on enforcing this, of all the more pressing problems facing the populace?

That's the meat of the matter. It's about TOWN PLANNING! Owners of structures are meant to provide such spaces. You can't just build anyhow. In fact, it is illegal to build anyhow. One of the reasons why public services and infrastructure collapsed in Lagos in the 1990s is because the military governments allowed (and even encouraged) people to do what ever they want. The government is trying to restore sanity. Provide a line or rack for drying your laundry within your private space. What's so hard about that?

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Nobody: 9:59am On Jul 28, 2013
I live in London and people hang clothes on their balcony here all the time...especially if you live in a cramped flat with no clothes dryer...

I honestly think this rule is quite bizarre undecided

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Spacodinho(m): 9:59am On Jul 28, 2013
Caracta: Why do some Nigerians find it difficult to read? Did you even read the entire post at all? Did you read the part that says "spreading clothes on bridge railings on major roads..."? Keep them off the fences and frontage of buildings too.

Who cares if you spread your "rusted" boxers and smelly panties on your television? Just keep em off public places. Is that too much to ask? Keep your wet clothes in your compounds or around your house...there are cloth lines.

I saw a woman drying her wet clothes on cars packed outside a house. Is that normal? Gosh!
you have said it all, it does'nt get better than this!
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Nobody: 10:00am On Jul 28, 2013
This is a gud one.Nigerians una get beta governors wey dey tolerate nonsense,if i was a governor in dis country,i swear i go bad and the mass wil hate me.Nigerians expect governors to do sumtin extraordinary but yet dis same nigerians are d once drawing d country back.Dis idea should even apply to al d states...!The same nigerians complaining dat d country is dirty bla bla bla bla bla,are d same cos of d dirtiness.Nigerians wil praise other countries neatness and orderliness but yet their own act in nigeria is notin to write home about.D same nigerian dat wil dispose waste on major roads is d same person dat wil kum to internet nd say nigeria is dirty...!If i b governor pple go hate me walahi,because i no go take shit..!If u build nonsense huz along major roads and d building itself is vry rough and dirty,walahi i go destroy dat kind building.Its like nigerians need a dictator as a leader,e b like say dis so called democrazy dey draw us backward.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 28, 2013
duni04: That commissioner is mad! I'll deliberately spread my clothes outside and wait for the i-diot that'll come and seal my house. I'll sue their stinking corrupt asses to court. I-diots with no priorities angry
no matter how much lasg provides infrastructural facilities,we have zero maintenance culture.ill give an example,when we pressured the chairman to create borehole in our area,he did that and the thing was spoiling gradually,the land lord association were like ok,let everyone contribute money,lets repair this thing.afterall we are all benefitting from it including the market women who come to fetch water from there.lagbaja said they cannot contribute,tamedu said he has no money and everyone watched till that tap was destroyed.the point is that everyone is quick to blame the government without looking inward.even when government provided,how well did you maintain it to ensure its existence.infact i learnt that around iyanaba down to maza maza,some street hawkers delibertly destroy the roads so that there will be traffic congestion that will enable them sell their goods so what are we talking about
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Nobody: 10:04am On Jul 28, 2013
TechyGuy:

Thank you for stating the highlighted.
The present supporters of ACN have not realized they are subtly trading their FREEDOM to tyranny.
Wait until Fashola starts arresting people who do not tuck in their dresses on the streets.

That's how they intend to run Nigeria? God forbid!

God forbid indeed. Now that they are running Lagos, they are quick to tell you to go back to your village if you refuse to submit to their tyranny. If they ever get the oportunity to run Nigeria, what would they do? Perhaps they'd tell you to renounce your citizenship and seek refuge in another country if you challenge their tyrannical and nonsensical ways. These clowns are pathetic, and heaven knows they would NEVER get the chance to (mis)rule Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Nobody: 10:04am On Jul 28, 2013
This will only give birth to more problems..before you know it, lagosians will start to assault lawma officials, most of whom are elderly women. I think the Nigerian army should enforce the law grin
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Nobody: 10:14am On Jul 28, 2013
naptu2:

That's the meat of the matter. It's about TOWN PLANNING! Owners of structures are meant to provide such spaces. You can't just build anyhow. In fact, it is illegal to build anyhow. One of the reasons why public services and infrastructure collapsed in Lagos in the 1990s is because the military governments allowed (and even encouraged) people to do what ever they want. The government is trying to restore sanity. Provide a line or rack for drying your laundry within your private space. What's so hard about that?

I'm not sure you read the post you quoted. Like I explicitly mentioned, many houses in Lagos are simply too cramped, and have far too limited space relative to the number of inhabitants, to provide sufficient clothes lines or racks, if any!!!!! Not everyone lives in the kind of nice little town-house with a garden and car garage that you do!!!!! Why are some of you so detached from reality?

Have you been to the average mass-housing 'project' in Lagos? Some of you should quit the internet and get back to reality.
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Nobody: 10:18am On Jul 28, 2013
kulyie: no matter how much lasg provides infrastructural facilities,we have zero maintenance culture.ill give an example,when we pressured the chairman to create borehole in our area,he did that and the thing was spoiling gradually,the land lord association were like ok,let everyone contribute money,lets repair this thing.afterall we are all benefitting from it including the market women who come to fetch water from there.lagbaja said they cannot contribute,tamedu said he has no money and everyone watched till that tap was destroyed.the point is that everyone is quick to blame the government without looking inward.even when government provided,how well did you maintain it to ensure its existence.infact i learnt that around iyanaba down to maza maza,some street hawkers delibertly destroy the roads so that there will be traffic congestion that will enable them sell their goods so what are we talking about
imagine dat.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Bigcake: 10:21am On Jul 28, 2013
Caracta:

And you think the government is not doing anything about bad roads and schools? You must think Fashola is a magician or a wizard. I'll wait to you become a governor so you can transform a very bad state to a glorious one within 3 months.
Not just a governor but a President. Anyway, tanx for the assurance of one vote frm u and the free campaign u r doing for me.
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by sylve11: 10:23am On Jul 28, 2013
Not a bad move. cool
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Bigcake: 10:28am On Jul 28, 2013
Caracta:

You are still waiting for the government to put food on your table? Correct!
My guy i make bold to say dat atleast i have some Nigerians in my payroll. Such stiffer actions shld be channelled at those looting the treasury and not d masses. A good example is Calabar whr d city is very clean and roads in order. I bet u dat even a mad man on the streets of Calabar doesnt litter the place because he appreciates the beauty and serenity of d enviroment. Compliance to such order will come naturally wen tings r up.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by naptu2: 10:37am On Jul 28, 2013
pro01:

I'm not sure you read the post you quoted. Like I explicitly mentioned, many houses in Lagos are simply too cramped, and have far too limited space relative to the number of inhabitants, to provide sufficient clothes lines or racks, if any!!!!! Not everyone lives in the kind of nice little town-house with a garden and car garage that you do!!!!! Why are some of you so detached from reality?

Have you been to the average mass-housing 'project' in Lagos? Some of you should quit the internet and get back to reality.

I have once lived in a house in which we hung our clothes on a rack which we placed in a corridor within the house. There was no space outside to hang the clothes (besides, we didn't want thieves to steal our clothes). It is possible if you want to do it.

Many of the same people hang their clothes to dry beneath fans during the rain season.
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by goldfish80(m): 10:39am On Jul 28, 2013
Caracta:

Obviously, you have not been to certain crazy parts in Lagos. I see no reason why you should "preach" against them since you obviously don't understand the issue on ground.
I don't want to believe people leave their homes to go spread washed clothes on 3rd mainland bridge.you can't have me fooled on this one.but if you insist this happens,Next time you come across people spreading their wet cloths to dry at the bridges or expressway,plz take pictures and post it here.
I repeat again,this government is planing to seal houses that occupants spread washed clothes on their balconies.If you support this action,then i have a reason to believe you are a wicked person.
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Aderostock(m): 10:44am On Jul 28, 2013
pro01:
And what about landlords who do not and cannot provide clothes lines at the back of the house due to limited space and whatnot? What should the tenants do?

Have you not seen some houses in Lagos where there isn't even enough space to park a motorcycle, let alone space for clothes lines; some of these houses have over a hundred inhabitants with little extra space for anything.

You think someone living in a big enough compound, with designated clothes lines in the backyard would prefer to hang their clothes on the fence? That is the problem with some of us: we are so self-centred and smug that we do not take time to empathise with other people's situations. Reminds me of the Okada ban imbroglio. Because some of us are privileged to have private cars, we think the millions others that do not have that privilege - who would suffer the hardships associated with that policy - should go to hell, even when there are clearly no alternatives.

I assume that many of the "educated" people condemning this senseless policy here do have clothes lines in thier houses, and do use them. However, they are fair-minded and sensible enough to know that the majority of Lagos residents live in houses where there are no clothes lines, or where the available ones are not sufficient to serve all the residents because of limited space. What should they do? Spread their clothes in their living rooms?

In a poor and underdeveloped country such as ours with limited options, why should a serious government waste valuable time and resources on enforcing this, of all the more pressing problems facing the populace?

Excuses on excuses. Must you live in such a fifthy house. there are some houses human beings should not be living in and the houses you described are among them.
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Aderostock(m): 10:44am On Jul 28, 2013
pro01:

Excuses on excuses. Must you live in such a fifthy house. there are some houses human beings should not be living in and the houses you described are among them.
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by naptu2: 10:45am On Jul 28, 2013
You've got a corridor here and a window opposite it. You put the clothes rack in the corridor. You put plastic containers beneath the clothes rack (so that the water will drip into the container) and you watch your clothes dry. C'est finis.

But more importantly, owners of buildings will have no choice but to provide space for people to hang their laundry if the people put pressure on them. You won't rent an apartment in a flooded area, neither will you rent an apartment in a building with cracked walls. Soon, when government starts enforcing this law, people won't rent apartments in buildings that do not have spaces for them to hang their laundry.
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Aderostock(m): 10:53am On Jul 28, 2013
jackbauersballs: I live in London and people hang clothes on their balcony here all the time...especially if you live in a cramped flat with no clothes dryer...

I honestly think this rule is quite bizarre undecided

you think you can come here and spew lie because some people have not gone out of this country. in that case, you should provide dryer for home use.
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by dabossman(m): 11:01am On Jul 28, 2013
pro01:

So because some greedy landlord did not put what is at best a basic amenity in his house the environment should suffer. Okay then let all those whose houses dont have a simple pit laterines start dumping theis sh*t on the street too. And if your apartment is too small to take all your stuff, please feel free to keep some out in the open, maybe on parked cars on the street. I wonder how much space one needs to spread clothes anyway? A football field? You dont have to be 'privileged' to be neat. Poverty does not equate to being dirty or untidy.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by naptu2: 11:06am On Jul 28, 2013
dabossman: So because some greedy landlord did not put what is at best a basic amenity in his house the environment should suffer. Okay then let all those whose houses dont have a simple pit laterines start dumping theis sh*t on the street too. And if your apartment is too small to take all your stuff, please feel free to keep some out in the open, maybe on parked cars on the street. I wonder how much space one needs to spread clothes anyway? A football field? You dont have to be 'privileged' to be neat. Poverty does not equate to being dirty or untidy.

+100.

It was policies like this that put an end to the "night soil man" phenomenon and encouraged people to take better care of their waste.

How many people will advocate that we go back to the era when night soil men came with huge trucks to pick up shit in the neighbourhood every night?
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by niggadee(m): 11:10am On Jul 28, 2013
Aderostock: The 21 century Governor. A thinking Governor. you are the only Governor that has vision.
lagos is a state not a country fashola breach nigerian constitutional rights..for kicking out fellow nigerian that are vulnerable and Everyone kept quiet about it..
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by dabossman(m): 11:13am On Jul 28, 2013
niggadee: lmao poverty and backwards my dog expenses costs we feed your whole family's for the next 2 years. i came from wealthy political family's background that inherited a lots of fortune
What is this one on about? Where did I question your family's purported wealth? SMH. Sadly that wealth couldn't even buy you a proper education judging by your grammar. Please take care of your rabied dog. My family and I are just fine.
Re: Lagos To Seal Buildings With Indiscriminate Hanging Of Washed Clothes by Niyinficient(m): 11:21am On Jul 28, 2013
When will Nigerians learn d meaning of the word 'CHANGE' Some pple are so used to unkempt things and rough way of life that to clean them up will be hell! Is it a crime if we have a descent city to call ours in dis country We see other beautiful countries abroad and we say 'chei, when Naija wan be like dis?' Most of the cities u see out there don't emerge neat and beautiful all of a sudden, they started from somewhere!!! Someone is bringing about change and all most of us do is condemn him! When he started Oshodi's transformation, u all condemned him but now all of u can smile about d place! I think its high time we cross examined ourselves cos we seem to oppose development a lot! You won't condemn the Governors who allow a lot of uncivilised activities in their cities and environment, dats y dey embezzle d fund meant for developmental projects and leave u to live in abject poverty and most of u smile because they allow u to erect shanties along the road, they allow u to dump refuse anywhere,imagine, u bought a car worth millions of naira and u ar riding it on roads full of pot holes and u ar feeling cool!chei! Too archaic, u built nice houses wit superb interior decors but ur street is water logged and drainage-less, u wear that your expensive shoes in mud-filled roads, u can't wear white clothes or wear sanders and slippers whenever it rains,its time for us all to start living and behaving like people in the real 21st century and lets stop dis 16th century-behaviours of ours! IF we want to have like those beautiful cities like Geneva, Dubai, New York, Hong Kong etc as ours here in Nigeria, change ur attitude towards ur environment and embrace development! Becos ur reality is as a result of ur mentality! Think beyond ur current state, think big, see big things! Put ur brain into use and stop being archaic in ur thinking if u desire a better environment and a better country for yourself! Shalom

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

You Lack Depth On Your Job – Metuh Slams Adesina / Senate Probes Buhari, Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan Over N4tr Customs Revenue / President Buhari Held Bilateral Talks With President Of South Africa In Japan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.