Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,515 members, 7,940,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 02:23 PM

Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? (33959 Views)

Before You Judge That Man By His Religion Or Tribe...read This. / What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? / Why Do Africans Hate Gay People So Much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Tractor(m): 5:52pm On Jul 29, 2013
jamp: what am seeing here is different from what CNN reported.

its obvious nairaland owners are anti catholic, always looking for one thing to attack the church.
@jamp tax dear
every sunday they post Adeboye and other pastors messages on front page but cannot post catholic stuff on front page. if its not mary then is purgatory or pope or anti christ.

THE GATES OF HELL WILL NOT PREVAIL AGAINST THE CHURCH ......................QED
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jul 29, 2013
Thiefing pastor,we don't need customers like u do,we are more than enuf and our doors open to whoever walks in or out! 2 Billion! No shaking!!!
U that judge are u witout sin
Okeikpu: Pope Francis is doing a great job.. Catholic church is losing a lot of customers these days.. Its all about business... If Brazilians were not Catholic nation, u wont see any Pope there. Pope was elected to fix the economy of Catholic c. So no big deal abt the gay stuff.....

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by DEGREE2466(m): 5:52pm On Jul 29, 2013
abeg make I go receive communion for St. Albert i de come! Ok thank God mass has ended what were u people talking about self? Pope, Gay, Whatever all i know is that all of us know the truth but are looking for who to criticize
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by SPEED5: 5:52pm On Jul 29, 2013
ocelot2006:

Good Lord, pls spare us from moronic posts like this...
. IF A MAN CLAIMS he is Gods mouth piece , then he should take resolute stand with Gods word. The bible condems all who practice such, and commands that they should be excommunicated
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by HezronLorraine(m): 5:52pm On Jul 29, 2013
I'm not surprised at all.Since when have I been Mentioning it on Nairaland.
The day he was announced Pope.I saw he was from Argentina,one of the earliest pace-setters of gay marriage.
I argued this with my friends then,I said,he's from A country that has a free-inclusive society no matter the identification.With how strong the Catholic's church Anti-gay Stance is,it couldn't peneterate the hearts of the argentines to kick out gay rights and gay marriage.He's visiting,Brazil,another gay capital of the world.
Gbola,I told you when he went to Brazil,that gays would be a topic cause its a gathering of the youths.you debated this,but now,who's right.

Though,he's neither lobbying or supporting Gay Rights and Gay marriage.He's being Indifferent as to why Christians and Catholic church should use religion as the force against another person's life.
Your Holiness,Pope Francis,I'm not Catholic,but I predicted that you were different from the first day.Thank You for Upholding the true and Righteous words of Christ.
Well,tommorow we may still argue on some doctrines you support,but with this,you earned my respect!your grace.

Let's see what our African die-hard Catholics got to say.Maybe they'll secceed like what happened in Church of England(anglican communion).

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Melancholy(m): 5:53pm On Jul 29, 2013
goldenval: Some people do not understand proverbs at all... What our Pope is trying to teach us is that " once gay people seeks the face of God almighty and do his good will, meaning repentance from the act through the grace of God almighty and God forgives, who is he to judge?
Remember a story about Paul in the bible who was killing christians just like Boko Haram but one day God arrested him, he repented and God made him one of his apostle.

What about Mary Magdalene whom people like you here nearly stoned to death because she was a prostitute but our Lord Jesus saved her and she repented. Today she is in heaven.

All these people mentioned here, are they different from gay people?

Boko haram people kills but does gay people do the same?

Please what we all need is prayer for them because tomorrow, one of us might bear a child that might become a gay and if that happens, what would you now do?

Pope is 100% right and I guess those kids here that drop out of school should keep quite here!!!.
Tell ur pope to act as a good sheperd cos judgement starts from the altar. Twisting of words cannot save u guys.
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by lacum: 5:53pm On Jul 29, 2013
SPEED5: . THE BIBLE INSTRUCTS THAT D PEOPLE WITH SUCH SINS SHOULD BE EXCOMUNICATED
the bible instructs that we love one another
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by lomprico(m): 5:53pm On Jul 29, 2013
SPEED5: . THE BIBLE INSTRUCTS THAT D PEOPLE WITH SUCH SINS SHOULD BE EXCOMUNICATED
Abeg! which part of bible talk am?
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by MitchDLeo(m): 5:53pm On Jul 29, 2013
nonen: The Bible’s Viewpoint

Is Homosexuality Ever Justifiable?

THE practice of homosexuality continues to gain acceptance in many lands. A group in one church in the United States is calling for a reinterpretation of what the Bible says about homosexuality in light of “contemporary wisdom.” A pastor in Brazil who recently entered into a same-sex marriage also encouraged “taking a fresh look at the Bible,” so as to allow for his church’s contemporary view.

On the other hand, those who do not approve of homosexual acts are often tagged as homophobic or prejudiced. What does the Bible really say about homosexuality?
Don't forget to read the scripts about thiefs, fruadsters, Child marriage, Murderers, Corruption, Because we already have those here in Naija and its not the Pope's Fault.

What Does the Bible Say?

The Bible does not promote prejudice against people. However, its view of homosexual acts is clear.

“You must not lie down with a male the same as you lie down with a woman. It is a detestable thing.”—Leviticus 18:22.

As part of the Mosaic Law, this prohibition was one of many moral laws given specifically to the nation of Israel. Even so, the commandment expresses God’s view of homosexual acts, whether by Jews or non-Jews, when it says: “It is a detestable thing.” The nations around Israel practiced homosexuality, incest, adultery, and other acts prohibited by the Law. Therefore, God viewed those nations as unclean. (Leviticus 18:24, 25) Did the Bible’s viewpoint change during the Christian era? Consider the following scripture:

“God gave them up to disgraceful sexual appetites, for both their females changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature; and likewise even the males left the natural use of the female and became violently inflamed in their lust toward one another, males with males, working what is obscene.”—Romans 1:26, 27.

Why does the Bible describe homosexual acts as unnatural and obscene? Because they involve sexual activity that was not intended by our Creator. Homosexual acts cannot produce offspring. The Bible compares homosexual activity to the sexual relations that rebellious angels, who came to be known as demons, had with women before the Deluge of Noah’s day. (Genesis 6:4; 19:4, 5; Jude 6, 7) God views both acts as unnatural.

Factors That Justify Homosexuality?

Some may wonder, ‘Would genetics, environment, or traumatic life experiences, such as sexual abuse, justify one’s giving in to homosexual desires?’ No, they would not. Consider this example: A person may have what some scientists consider to be hereditary tendencies toward alcohol abuse, or he may have been raised in a family where alcohol abuse was commonplace. Certainly, most people would be empathetic toward a person in such circumstances. All the same, by no means would he be encouraged to continue abusing alcohol or to give up his fight against alcohol abuse just because he may have been born with the tendency or he was raised in such an environment.

Likewise, while the Bible does not condemn those who struggle with homosexual tendencies, it in no way condones giving in to those tendencies, whether they are the result of genetics or they stem from some other source. (Romans 7:21-25; 1 Corinthians 9:27) Instead, the Bible offers practical assistance and encouragement to help individuals to win the fight against homosexual practices.

What Is God’s Will for People With Homosexual Desires?[/b]

The Bible assures us that God’s will is that “all sorts of men should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth.” (1 Timothy 2:4) Though the Bible disapproves of homosexual acts, it does not encourage hatred of homosexuals.

God’s view of homosexuality cannot be watered down. At 1 Corinthians 6:9, 10, the Bible clearly states that “men who lie with men” are included in those who “will not inherit God’s kingdom.” But verse 11 adds the comforting thought: “And yet that is what some of you were. But you have been washed clean, but you have been sanctified, but you have been declared righteous in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God.”

Clearly, those who sincerely desired to worship God on his terms were warmly welcomed into the early Christian congregation. The same is true today for all honesthearted ones who seek God’s approval—not by reinterpreting the Bible—but by bringing their lives into harmony with it.
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Tractor(m): 5:54pm On Jul 29, 2013
I agree with jamp in toto
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jul 29, 2013
supaeagles: I like this pope ..... his message is simple : "dislike the sin and not the sinner" .... after all who amongst us is without sin??

I think this is a somewhat apt summary of the Pope's message. He rightly rejects the obnoxious lobbying for the rest of us to accept homosexuality as 'normal', but also makes it clear that he does not have the power to judge them -i.e. leaving them to God's judgment.

This is in stark contrast to the blasphemous statement credited to Arch Bishop Desmond Tutu, who declared that he would rather go to hell than worship a "homophobic" God, thereby arrogating to himself the right to determine what God should like or dislike.

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by wiegraf: 5:54pm On Jul 29, 2013
See slaves telling oyinbo man how to handle his religion

grin grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by NeoXVI: 5:54pm On Jul 29, 2013
Mumu people full here no be small. Make una dey here dey shout end times and dey get high on top gay people wey no concern una, the rest of the world is moving on, inventing new things and trying to better the lives of its inhabitants. Always carrying religion on your heads yet you're the most corrupt nation, your lives are miserable, and nothing works in that god-forsaken country. smh

6 Likes

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jul 29, 2013
ledafaze:

Christianity is not loosing it... Vatican HAS lost it.
2 corect. Xtianity is stil d same
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by ocelot2006(m): 5:55pm On Jul 29, 2013

In the OLD or NEW Testament?
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Jeezuzpick(m): 5:55pm On Jul 29, 2013
ledafaze:

Christianity is not loosing it... Vatican HAS lost it.

Help me tell dem....

CATHOLICISM IS NOT CHRISTIANITY!!

Jesus never said we should make graven images.

Jesus only called God HOLY FATHER!!

Now this unholy impostor has said you can do what God clearly hates and said so, and still seek Him??!!

Well, I don't fully blame catholics.
They don't read the bible for themselves, or do they?

Do they know Peter (so-called "first pope" and supposed founder of a "celibate order of sodomites) was a faithful husband of one wife? or can a Revd Fr. have a mother-in-law? mmmmm?

Read the scriptures fir yourself, catholic brothers and sisters.

Jesus loves you!
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Chidoks(f): 5:56pm On Jul 29, 2013
FOLYKAZE: Christianity is loosing it...........lol
there is a big difference between Christianity and religion!the former is living like Christ(being born again)the later is following after some man made doctrine
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by mascot87(m): 5:56pm On Jul 29, 2013
Noblechyk:
What rubbish are you saying? The Pope just declared his support for homosexuality & you are here trying to justify him because of your belief in the perfect doctrine of the Catholic church. Call a spade a spade. Well, I believe that when they finally approve gay marriage as they have been planning, the African Catholic will do the right thing like their Anglican counterparts.
It's a pity that people like u actually exist, I mean people with very low thinking ability.I don't blame u, I blame your pastor that has brainwashed you totally making you believe that judging other people will make you enter the kingdom of God. You have been brainwashed to the extent that you believe that on the last day God would honour you by giving you an heavenly crown based on the number of people you castigated and condemned.Now let me enlighten you a little bit cos I believe you need to reason beyond you present thinking ability.Read Matthew 7:1-5.My brother,dont be like the Pharisees of old. Remember that Jesus Christ came into the world for the sinners,he dwells with them and did not condemn them,the teachers and preachers of the law as at that time condemned Jesus for dwelling with the sinners and even going to there house to eat and drink but what did Jesus call them? he said you hypocrites,snakes. My brother,how can you leave the log in your own eye and condemn the stick you see in another man's eyes?Be careful of your statement cos my bible tells me in Matt 12:36-37 that you can be sure on judgement day everyone will have to give account of every useless word he has ever spoken.your word will be used to judge you to declare you either guilty or innocent.Why can't you join hands with your fellow faithful brothers and sisters to pray for them? Think,think, think my brother.

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Samuelfriday: 5:56pm On Jul 29, 2013
I think we are all loosing it let's call a spade a spade ok , i think it high time we start telling ourselves the truth the act is against the law of God dat is why he made man and woman, jus incase we have forgotten God destoy d land of sudom and gomorah for dis same offence, i tink my take on dis is d pope shud state clearly for better undertsanding what is evil from what is bad as some one said earlier nobody is asking anybody to jugde but @ list some word against such act can save some souls.
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by judano: 5:56pm On Jul 29, 2013
I guess Jesus also spoke in 'unstraight' words when he allowed the fornicator to escape from those that would have stoned her? I guess he also spoke in 'unstraight' words when he chose a tax collector as one of his disciples? It is very easy to miss the essence of religion, it is easy to forget that we are to love sinners and hate sin.
SPEED5: . There is no point for him to speak in un straight words. His stand is meant to be clear. His coment simply shows his acceptance of GAY

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by SPEED5: 5:56pm On Jul 29, 2013
donedy: For you homos out there, the pope isn't supporting homos. He is only trying to make it clear that the church is willing to accept them provided they repent and have the desire of doing God's will.
. Read ur bible well, the bible commands that all who practice such should be excommunicated. AND NOT TO ACCEPT THEM
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by lacum: 5:57pm On Jul 29, 2013
SPEED5: . There is no point for him to speak in un straight words. His stand is meant to be clear. His coment simply shows his acceptance of GAY
pls go and teach him how to speak because when Jesus spoke in parables u where there to tell him to speak straight. smh
God loves us inspite of our many sins. pls learn
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by trolling(m): 5:57pm On Jul 29, 2013
where does homosexuality come from,its comes from an unclean spirit,its a desire given to them by a .....like the Bible said if you do well you shall be accepted and if you dont do well,sin lies at your door and unto you shall be "his" desire,so we see that they are possessed with this unclean spirit and there's nothing they can do about it unless its purged out,its just like every one of us who has unclean innate desires
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by SPEED5: 5:58pm On Jul 29, 2013
judano: I guess Jesus also spoke in 'unstraight' words when he allowed the fornicator to escape from those that would have stoned her? I guess he also spoke in 'unstraight' words when he chose a tax collector as one of his disciples? It is very easy to miss the essence of religion, it is easy to forget that we are to love sinners and hate sin.
. Listen my friend, he forgave them, but asked them to sin no more. He did not forgive them and then allow them carry on with there evil
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by MitchDLeo(m): 5:59pm On Jul 29, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: I'm not surprised at all.Since when have I been Mentioning it on Nairaland.
The day he was announced Pope.I saw he was from Argentina,one of the earliest pace-setterd of gay marriage.
I argued this with my friends then,I said,he's from A country that has a free-inclusive society no matter the identification.With how strong the Catholic's church Anti-gay Stance is,it couldn't peneterate the hearts of the arfentines to kick out gay rights ad gay marriage.He's visiting,Brazil,another gay capital of the world.
Gbola,I told you when he went to Brazil,that gays would be a topic cause its a gathering of the youths.you debated this,but now,who's right.

Though,he's neither lobbying or supporting Gay Rights and Gay marriage.He's being Indifferent as to why Christians and Catholic church should use religion as the force against another person's life.
Your Holiness,Pope Francis,I'm not Catholic,but I predicted that you were different from the first day.Thank You for Upholding the true and Righteous words of Christ.
Well,tommorow we may still argue on some doctrines you support,but with this,you earned my respect!your grace.

Let's see what our African die-hard Catholics got to say.Maybe they'll secceed like what happened in Church of England(anglican communion).

But Yet the Corruption, Poverty and Undevelopment in Our Country cant be compared To Argentina. But we enjoy Judging Peolple. Even if Gay marriage is ban from Africa they'll still be Gay. . They'll just hide themselves in our shadows sad

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by ocelot2006(m): 5:59pm On Jul 29, 2013
SPEED5: . IF A MAN CLAIMS he is Gods mouth piece , then he should take resolute stand with Gods word. The bible condems all who practice such, and commands that they should be excommunicated

No, let's go even futher. Why don't we round them up and burn them on stakes? Lead the way, Oh "holy" one....

.....you can't? Yeah that's right, YOU ARE NOT!! So go shove that judgemental post somewhere else. Nonesense.
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Kizyte(m): 6:00pm On Jul 29, 2013
Indifferent: I'm a catholic but someone should tell pope to shut the fuk up.
I go soon carry vex join mountain of high tension. Oku!
You are cursed! How dare you speak against the Holy Father?
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Inyinese(m): 6:00pm On Jul 29, 2013
Pope is right
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Jeezuzpick(m): 6:01pm On Jul 29, 2013
judano: I guess Jesus also spoke in 'unstraight' words when he allowed the fornicator to escape from those that would have stoned her? I guess he also spoke in 'unstraight' words when he chose a tax collector as one of his disciples? It is very easy to miss the essence of religion, it is easy to forget that we are to love sinners and hate sin.

What part of "go, and SIN NO MORE" don't you understand?
Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jul 29, 2013
i agree with the pope. fact like it or not homosexualism is here to stay, and according to d black americans 'its the new black'. theres nofin we straight pple can do but pray 4 them (the homos) and being a homo doesnt make u less of a human. live and let live. shikena

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? by ocelot2006(m): 6:02pm On Jul 29, 2013
SPEED5: . Listen my friend, he forgave them, but asked them to sin no more. He did not forgive them and then allow them carry on with there evil

And what about those that nailed our Lord and Saviour to the cross? Did they all repent even after he had forgiven them before He died?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Dialectics Of Violence And Morality / Rev. Ogbonnaya Bartholomew Ekene Ordained A Priest / Apostolic Faith Church Chooses Olusola Adesope As General Superintendent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.