Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,714 members, 7,892,818 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 06:07 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1149) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6073850 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1146) (1147) (1148) (1149) (1150) (1151) (1152) ... (2859) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 7:54pm On May 10, 2017
Odunayaw:
it is never going to engage in close combat or urban ones
the barrel is justified as it can pick out those satanic thugs hiding behind trees from far out
the longer the barrel the slower it will traverse 360 degree.

the slower the gun nozzle can be brought to bear on the target. its just simple maths.

if you have a shorter barrel the quicker you can engage multiple targets.

plus other issues like shifting centre of gravity in uneven terrain.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 8:03pm On May 10, 2017
lionel4power:

the slower the gun nozzle can be brought to bear on the target. its just simple maths.

if you have a shorter barrel the quicker you can engage multiple targets.

plus other issues like shifting centre of gravity in uneven terrain.
I can't bliv what am seeing grin

anyway...moving on
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 8:08pm On May 10, 2017
Odunayaw:
wetin u de follow cheesy
was referring to Henry.

sorry

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 8:18pm On May 10, 2017
Odunayaw:
it is never going to engage in close combat or urban ones
the barrel is justified as it can pick out those satanic thugs hiding behind trees from far out
dont forget the BHT are highly mobile.

so quick action is the solution
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 8:27pm On May 10, 2017
giles14:
dont forget the BHT are highly mobile.

so quick action is the solution
I advice you to probably watch a YouTube video
There is a doctrine for every materiel
Meanwhile a quick illustration..The Sagaie is akin to a sniper rifle..never to be employed in close range
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 8:41pm On May 10, 2017
Odunayaw:
I advice you to probably watch a YouTube video
There is a doctrine for every materiel
Meanwhile a quick illustration..The Sagaie is akin to a sniper rifle..never to be employed in close range
agreed.

but after shortening it's barrel,armor will then be add to the vehicle
while the tanks are used for base defense,the ERC90 will serve as a hunter killer vehicle.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 8:53pm On May 10, 2017
Odunayaw:
I can't bliv what am seeing grin

anyway...moving on
I hate typing on phones it makes my sentence jumbled.

anyway if you didn't understand what i wrote then that's very poor of you. let me make it clearer so you can comprehend.

we have this common misconception that a longer barrel = a longer range or better accuracy which is FALSE. A longer range is mostly determined by the type of propellant charge used and the barrel elevation.

One the the major reason the former iraqi army lost the tank war against the US Army in the Gulf war was due to their use of half-charge propellant as opposed to the proper propellant thereby making their tank rounds fall short.

in summary all am trying to say is that a longer tank barrel is not the deciding factor for range since longer range can be gotten by using a energetic tank round propellant charge and SUPER-ELEVATION while accuracy is the sole job of the Fire Control System if the tank barrel hasn't wear out too much.

the fire control computes the targeting data after all factors is considered and it provides a fire solution.

A shorter barreled gun can still fire at longer range more than a really long gun.

Hope I have helped you understand. anybody that knows their tanks well can explain to you better.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MiddleDimension: 8:54pm On May 10, 2017
ActivateKruger:

That's why I always say we're just cool with being far away from them and Egypt, just feel sorry for Tunisia and Morocco.
but the iarealis will eat all of them raw, arab forces combined.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 9:13pm On May 10, 2017
lionel4power:

well can explain to you better.

you talk too much and out of context most times

your last post was centred on the sagaie supposedly being slow in slewing on to target bcuz its sports a long barrel

If you r trying to show me you have a supernatural cartographic skill I am not impressed

Do yourself a favor and research how differently comes to play on the battlefield

be better next time,Thanks
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 9:20pm On May 10, 2017
lionel4power:

anyway if you didn't understand what i wrote then that's very poor of you. let me make it clearer so you can comprehend.

we have this common misconception that a longer barrel = a longer range or better accuracy which is FALSE. A longer range is mostly determined by the type of propellant charge used and the barrel elevation.

One the the major reason the former iraqi army lost the tank war against the US Army in the Gulf war was due to their use of half-charge propellant as opposed to the proper propellant thereby making their tank rounds fall short

in summary all am trying to say is that a longer tank barrel is not the deciding factor for range since longer range can be gotten by using a energetic tank round propellant charge and SUPER-ELEVATION while accuracy is the sole job of the Fire Control System if the tank barrel hasn't wear out too much.

the fire control computes the targeting data after all factors is considered and it provides a fire solution.

A shorter barreled gun can still fire at longer range more than a really long gun.
Yes and No and it has nothing to do with the charge
When I spoke to a Tanker a long time ago accuracy is determined not exactly by the charge but by the length of the barrel.
The barrel be it a Tank or a Tank killing APC starts to get "hot ' after a while of firing multiple shells and this leads to " warpness" which affects the accuracy of the charge fired. It also plays a role in the elevation of the barrel the longer the barrel the more difficult to bring down it angle of elevation ( Angle of depression)
Hope I have helped you understand. anybody that knows their tanks well can explain to you better.
One of the main reasons alluded to by American tankers over their IRAQI counterparts had nothing to do with the charge but Mobility. They were surprised as to how many T-72 were stuck inside defensive berms in a static position and picked them off one at a time, they also said their Bradleys were hopeless against the T-72 and the kIA that the Americans suffered came from mobile T-72s

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 9:53pm On May 10, 2017
[quote author=LTGEN post=56400538][/quote]
first of all the Iraqis lost the tank wat for many reasons. they were being defensive been one of of them also they used inferior propellant charge which made their rounds fall short. The M1A1 kills were mostly from long range which the T72s couldnt match.

but we are talking about the sagaie having a too long a barrel but I hope you saw this my post though.

hope you saw the bolded too.
all tank gun barrel wear our whether long or short. A good FCS will factor barrel wear when providing firing solutions.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:29pm On May 10, 2017
Henry240:
Armoured Personnel Carriers(APC) built or assembled in Africa, excluding South-Africa.

*excluding South-Africa primarily because armoured vehicles manufacturing in that country dates back to World War II.

From Egypt, Fahd APC and Temsah family of vehicles.

Fahd top
Continued from previous page.

Haven gone through North-Africa were 3 countries produce APC's, and East-Africa were 2 countries(Ethiopia & Uganda) licence produce APCs, it's time to head to West-Africa. Unfortunately, no country in Central Africa produces any APC.

In West-Africa, only one country produces APC's, that's Nigeria. There are 5 different types of APCs produced in Nigeria.
-Igirigi APC
- Ara MRAP
- PF2 APC
- Viper APC
-Leopard APC

This means, outside South-Africa, Nigeria produces the most types of APCs in Africa.

So, here goes, the Igirigi APC.

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:34pm On May 10, 2017
Following the Igirigi APC is the ARA MRAP/APC

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:38pm On May 10, 2017
The 3rd APC type from Nigeria is the PF2

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:43pm On May 10, 2017
In number 4 for Nigeria is the PF Viper.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:48pm On May 10, 2017
At number 5 for Nigeria is the PF leopard

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:55pm On May 10, 2017
Coming .

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:11pm On May 10, 2017
We've seen APCs built in North-Africa, we've seen East-Africa, and have now finished with West-Africa, it is time to head on to Southern Africa and the home of the Wolf APC.

In Southern Africa only Namibia produces an APC, with the exception of South-Africa Offcourse.

The Wolf APC MK1

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:13pm On May 10, 2017
Wolf MK II

The Wolf is also known as the Namibian Cassipir

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:14pm On May 10, 2017
Wolf MK III

1 Like 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:17pm On May 10, 2017
In all, around 20 different types of APCs are produced in Africa, excluding South-Africa. That's not bad at all. cool cool
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by DaV8King(m): 12:57am On May 11, 2017
Henry240:
Coming in at number 6 for Nigeria is this un-identified type.

Small correction Sir, we produce 5 types as the pictured is a Streit product undergoing repairs/overhaul.

Compare with photo in this link:
https://beegeagle./2012/05/12/nigeria-police-lagos-rapid-response-squad-apc/
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Hrmnn: 2:37am On May 11, 2017
Henry240:
@Hrmnn, here's some of your kind of content

Nigeria COIN

Nigerian troops conducting COIN operations

I like the fact that the MRAP is leading the column, with the AMLs close behind and prepared to provide fire support against ambushes as necessary.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Hrmnn: 3:09am On May 11, 2017
lionel4power:

Let me respectfully disagree with this, speaking from personal experience not with tanks but armoured cars and the AML series in particular.

Traverse speed all depends on the turret drive, not the length of the barrel.

If the turret is manually traversed then it's not impossible a longer barrel may take longer to traverse.

However, with an electric/hydraulic turret drive a longer barrelled gun can easily turn much faster than a shorter barrelled gun with manual traverse.

For comparison, it takes twenty to thirty seconds for a normal Ratel-90/Eland-90/AML-90 turret to rotate 360 degrees. Maybe slightly faster with a strong and well-drilled gunner. 61mech and anybody else who has hand cranked that turret will attest to this.

It takes ten to fifteen seconds to traverse the same turret with an electric drive, like in the latest models of the AML-90 Lynx.

Manual turret hand cranks in the 90mm turret:

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 5:41am On May 11, 2017
Henry240:
In number 4 for Nigeria is the PF Viper.
Is it in production or is the prototype built yet?

Anyway Namibia has a longer list.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:28am On May 11, 2017
DaV8King:

Small correction Sir, we produce 5 types as the pictured is a Streit product undergoing repairs/overhaul.

Compare with photo in this link:
https://beegeagle./2012/05/12/nigeria-police-lagos-rapid-response-squad-apc/

Thanks for the correction. My post has been edited to reflect change.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:32am On May 11, 2017
MikeCZA:
Is it in production or is the prototype built yet?

Anyway Namibia has a longer list.

Prototype stage.

Let's see what else the Namibians have so that we can add it up.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 8:05am On May 11, 2017
61mech:
For some reason you seem to think I'm trying to insult the Nigerian Navy. I'm not.
A am concerned about the guy and his boat crew. I'm a fellow African x-soldier and I don't want to see that guy get killed protecting his country , because he wasn't given the tools or the training to do his job properly.

That weapon is NOT going to function properly. If it looks like that from the outside the inside WILL be worse. I've inspected hundreds of machine guns and cannons and I can tell you a weapon should never get to that state even in the worst of circumstances. If you don't believe me ask any of the vets in this forum or anywhere else for that matter.

That's a CIS 50MG heavy machine gun it's not a AK. It has a complex dual feed system and any heavy MG needs to be tuned just right to work without having to re-cock it every 3 rounds. If his crew gets ambushed on a river and it doesn't function they are dead. River ambushes are no joke.

HMG's are designed to be field maintainable. Being out on a long patrol is no excuse. Rust does not appear overnight. All you need is a drum and some diesel to get the worst out of it. Then it's just a question of routine lubing.

Henry240,you're confusing normal wearing of patina,which is a thin oxide layer protecting the alloy with rust. With age it blues or goes dark grey. Iron is a decomposition of steel induced by water,in this case worsened by marine environment. Your analogy isn't even apples and oranges but pineapples and bananas.
That pic shows the entire unit from the sub unit to unit commanders have collectively fallen asleep!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 8:08am On May 11, 2017
kenpaul0:
That's not an excuse Henry. Someone didn't do his job here and that someone's CO also didn't do his job.

Boats on operastion accumulate rust fast. I am not making a big deal about it since i have seen worse from 1st world countries.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 8:12am On May 11, 2017
61mech:
For some reason you seem to think I'm trying to insult the Nigerian Navy. I'm not.
A am concerned about the guy and his boat crew. I'm a fellow African x-soldier and I don't want to see that guy get killed protecting his country , because he wasn't given the tools or the training to do his job properly.

That weapon is NOT going to function properly. If it looks like that from the outside the inside WILL be worse. I've inspected hundreds of machine guns and cannons and I can tell you a weapon should never get to that state even in the worst of circumstances. If you don't believe me ask any of the vets in this forum or anywhere else for that matter.

That's a CIS 50MG heavy machine gun it's not a AK. It has a complex dual feed system and any heavy MG needs to be tuned just right to work without having to re-cock it every 3 rounds. If his crew gets ambushed on a river and it doesn't function they are dead. River ambushes are no joke.

HMG's are designed to be field maintainable. Being out on a long patrol is no excuse. Rust does not appear overnight. All you need is a drum and some diesel to get the worst out of it. Then it's just a question of routine lubing.

It will neex to be replaced and sent to the worshops. But ships can rust fast. I mean hell they could of run out of needed supplies to maintain them. But iam not to worried about training and leader ship over 1 boat. If it was a common sight it would be a issue. But one just means either that boat has a issue or its crew not tge fleet.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:42am On May 11, 2017
andrewza:

Boats on operastion accumulate rust fast. I am not making a big deal about it since i have seen worse from 1st world countries.

It is not even a boat issue, it is one gun, which is old and has no evidence of rust. I have provided enough evidence to support my argument that what we see isn't rust.

I stand by my argument until there is evidence to the contrary.

Look at the barrel of this gun. We have a situation where there is a gradual erosion of the cathodic material used in preserving the gun. That's all there is to it.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 11:50am On May 11, 2017
Henry240:

It is not even a boat issue, it is one gun, which is old and has no evidence of rust. I have provided enough evidence to support my argument that what we see isn't rust.

I stand by my argument until there is evidence to the contrary.

Look at the barrel of this gun. We have a situation where there is a gradual erosion of the cathodic material used in preserving the gun. That's all there is to it.

Looks like surface rust. But i would say that gun can fire. As long as the rust is just surface rust. As i said i have seen worse.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1146) (1147) (1148) (1149) (1150) (1151) (1152) ... (2859) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.