Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,369 members, 7,900,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 08:48 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (547) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6085364 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (544) (545) (546) (547) (548) (549) (550) ... (2860) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 5:28am On Jul 17, 2016
Henry24o:
Patches689,

As you can see, the Nigerian terrain makes it almost impossible to operate just wheeled armoured vehicles. The Reva is stuck in mud in the North, if it were in the Southern region it would be abandoned, LOL.

The Army operates both wheeled and tracked APCs because the terrain dictates so.

Angola was also very muddy (pic 1). Wasnt a problem for us... thats why you make sure deployed forces have recovery vehicles, so when they get bogged down you can get them out quickly (pic 2)

Also, having drivers who know what they are doing helps.... that Reva dug its own hole there

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 5:35am On Jul 17, 2016
frumentius:
So, back in the day we took Panhard AMLs and improved them into the Eland 20, 60 (mortar) and 90 as long-range scout/reconnaissance platforms. However, the conventional war in Angola exposed the limitations of the "Noddy" car, hence its replacement by the Rooikat. We then sold all our Elands without factoring in their utility in the unconventional little wars popping up in some parts of the African continent. Those ex-SA Army Elands are still put to good use by the Chadians, Moroccans, Senegalese etc. We could have done with some in Bangui and Darfur.
Nothing against Rooikat, but hell we should've gone for the MC-90 as a replacement.

Look what the French and Panhard are proposing for their update.

Pic 1: Eland 20 and 90;

Pic 2: the MC-90 we didn't pursue;

Pic 3: the Panhard Crab;

Pic 4: Panhard Crab interior.

old panhard can be penetrated by 7.62 on the frontal axis.

Why the Army thought a 28t beast would be the only replacement needed...idk
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Henry24o: 7:21am On Jul 17, 2016
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles in the African battle-space with Nigerian Air Force as a reference.

It came as a particularly gratifying news when the Nigerian CAS announced that 5 units of Nigeria's locally built Gulma drone have been operationalised with assistance from UAVISION of portugal.

with the news, i've decided to highlight the different types of UAVs used by the Nigerian Air Force.

Gulma UAV (Nigeria)

Aerostar UAV (Israel)

Yahbon Flash 20 UAV (UAE)

CH-3A UAV (China)
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Henry24o: 7:22am On Jul 17, 2016
Gulma UAV, 5 units operational

The UAV has an all-composite,low-drag design that ensures
optimum performance. Gulma offers the following features:

-Wing span of 4m

-MTOW of 35 kg

-Direct Line-of-sight range of 100 km

- Up to 6 h endurance

-Up to 12 000 ft service ceiling

-Up to 5 kg day and night mission payload (fuel excluded)
Piloted and autonomous flight capability

-The system comprises:

-Two Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), one Ground Control Station (GCS).

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Henry24o: 7:23am On Jul 17, 2016
Aerostar UAV, 3 units, atleast 1 unit is operational.

The Aerostar features a robust airframe, an automatic
identification system, a ship identification system, VHF
radios, a hands-on throttle and stick control system, and
vertical stabilisers. It is also equipped with a UMAS digital
flight control system, directional antennae and a multi-
channel data link system built by Commtact.

An electro-optic camera is equipped in the middle of the
fuselage to capture battlefield imagery. The remote
payload control system (RPCS) unit receives commands
and controls the aircraft throughout its operation.
Sensors

The Aerostar is fitted with electro-optic (EO) and infra-red
sensors. The EO sensor converts light rays into electronic
signals to capture real time imagery.
Radars

The UAV is further equipped with a synthetic aperture
radar (SAR), signal intelligence (SIGINT) and
communication intelligence (COMINT).
Engines

The Aerostar is powered by a single Zanzottera 498i two-
stroke boxer engine which can produce 28kW of output
power. The engine is equipped with an electronic fuel
injection to correct altitude and temperature fluctuations
thereby allowing it to run at maximum power for long
durations.
Ground control station (GCS)
The ground control station is also designed and
manufactured by Aeronautics Defence Systems.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Henry24o: 7:24am On Jul 17, 2016
Yahbon Flash 20 UAV, at least 5 units on order.

Yabhon Flash-20 is a Medium Altitude Long Endurance
(MALE) UAV, desinged and manufactured by ADCOM Systems

for strategic missions including:
• Near real time (NRT) combat assessment
• Battle damage assessment (BDA)
• Intelligence preparation of the battlefield
• Special operations, reconnaissance operations and
humanitarian aid
• Border surveillance and communications relay.
The ultra-long endurance of the Yabhon Flash-20 comes
from its glider-like, high aspect ratio wings. It can carry a
gimbaled camera platforms.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Henry24o: 7:24am On Jul 17, 2016
CH-3A UAV (China), 5 units

Specifications include

A wingspan of 8 meters while performance displays a 12-hour
endurance window with a payload maximum of 80
kilograms. Range is 2,400 kilometers.

The Nigerian and Pakistani armies are confirmed operators
of the CH-3 series. CH-3 designates early models while the
CH-3A is a follow-up product which increases the line's
mission payload (up to 180 kilograms maximum) while
reducing the endurance window by half to six hours. This
model also features a satellite data link as standard.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Henry24o: 8:47am On Jul 17, 2016
The Nigerian Air Force Research and Development center also operates a State-Of-The-Art Wind Tunnel testing system.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by chinese8107: 10:20am On Jul 17, 2016
Henry24o:
The Nigerian Air Force Research and Development center also operates a State-Of-The-Art Wind Tunnel testing system.

I think developing a UCAV with computer trajectory calculation gun pod is wellcomed in COIN
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Henry24o: 10:45am On Jul 17, 2016
chinese8107:

I think developing a UCAV with computer trajectory calculation gun pod is wellcomed in COIN

Which company/country is doing that? Doesn't it make the UCAV more susceptible to ground fire?

Nigeria i think is working on a larger UAV, and the Air Force plans to arm it with rockets and missiles. The Air Force is also working on transforming soon to be de-commissioned trainers to UAVs.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by chinese8107: 10:51am On Jul 17, 2016
Henry24o:

Which company/country is doing that? Doesn't it make the UCAV more susceptible to ground fire?

Nigeria i think is working on a larger UAV, and the Air Force plans to arm it with rockets and missiles. The Air Force is also working on transforming soon to be de-commissioned trainers to UAVs.

a 23-30mm gun or AGL is ok becasue terrorists usually have under 23mm gun
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Henry24o: 11:09am On Jul 17, 2016
chinese8107:

a 23-30mm gun or AGL is ok becasue terrorists usually have under 23mm gun

What i'm saying is, a gun on a UCAV makes it vulnerable to ground fire. Terrorists can easily shot it down, as it has to come in close to engage targets.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:15am On Jul 17, 2016
Super lynx MK 130 & Merlin EH-101 in SAFEX2012 show , Algerian Navy

first part superlynx , second part merlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fIDdTMSysY

a TV report for the 560 rescue scadron (superlynx and merlin )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr0tPw3bm7U
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by chinese8107: 12:04pm On Jul 17, 2016
Henry24o:

What i'm saying is, a gun on a UCAV makes it vulnerable to ground fire. Terrorists can easily shot it down, as it has to come in close to engage targets.

yes,it depends on the cost and risk off course
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Henry24o: 6:19pm On Jul 17, 2016
Nigerian Navy's locally built 31 meters Coastal Patrol Vessel, NNS Andoni

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 17, 2016
off topic :things seem are not over there are reports of bomb ,footage of which i have seen on twitter Air Strike Reportedly Hits Coup Plotters At Airbase Near Ankara.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tinfoil: 9:22pm On Jul 17, 2016
africaken254:
off topic :things seem are not over there are reports of bomb ,footage of which i have seen on twitter Air Strike Reportedly Hits Coup Plotters At Airbase Near Ankara.

Please stop polluting the forum with all this off topic B.S. If its not African go post it in the relevant forum angry
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tinfoil: 9:24pm On Jul 17, 2016
Henry24o:
Hello Guys, here's another thread, a general, non-Africa specific, military thread we should also check out and participate in.

www.nairaland.com/3220297/technical-discussions-international-military-equipments

Please read this carefully Africaken!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Henry24o: 10:37pm On Jul 17, 2016
AMISOM

Exquisitely kitted out Ugandan troops.

1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Henry24o: 10:51pm On Jul 17, 2016
AMISOM

Ugandan troops (UPDF), Somalia

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Henry24o: 11:00pm On Jul 17, 2016
UPDF

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 4:26am On Jul 18, 2016
Henry24o:

humanitarian aid

Henry I don't believe my ear's

I u saying We r buying 5 units of yahbon flash 20 & ch-3A
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Henry24o: 5:51am On Jul 18, 2016
bidexiii:

Henry I don't believe my ear's

I u saying We r buying 5 units of yahbon flash 20 & ch-3A

It's a projection. Atleast 5 units, I'm optimistic about the figure. We already have the CH-3A. We bought 5 units.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by chinese8107: 8:42am On Jul 18, 2016
Henry24o:

humanitarian aid

this is a good design, Russia is testing it,even consider procuring.
any info about the price ?
UAE got technical asistance from some foreign countries.eg italy
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:46am On Jul 18, 2016
Tinfoil:

Please stop polluting the forum with all this off topic B.S. If its not African go post it in the relevant forum angry
f@ck you n@gga and i will be delighted if you go eat a f@cking dick.Are you p@ssed because i posted pictures of your dead terrorist friends !
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:02am On Jul 18, 2016
India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi State Visit on 11 July 2016.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jul 18, 2016
Exercise African Sea Lion Moroccan and US army 14 july 2016

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jul 18, 2016
short documentary about the Egyptian air defence, including 9M317 missile on Buk loader/launcher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY5Nvdz5eLY&feature=youtu.be

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 2:15pm On Jul 18, 2016
patches689:

Arrest quotas are nothing new, neither are police abusing their power. This has been a bone of contention for a long time now.

What is new, however, is mindless allegations of "institutional racism" and people rioting because two policeman shot an armed criminal who resisted arrest and then proceeded to reach for his gun - while ignoring the killing of an unarmed white boy, with no criminal record, who did not resist arrest in California.

What is new is rioting, for no real reason, and destroying black cities and black neighborhoods all while shouting "Black lives matter".

Lets talk about Baltimore.

- A black man was killed while in police custody.
- Before any facts were available, the people rioted
- They screamed RACISM!!
- In a city with a Black Mayor
- Which has a Black Police Cheif, whos Executive Command is majority Black
- A city whos Council has 15 seats - 9 are held by Blacks, all by Democrats
- A case that was investigated by a Black District Attourney (who refused to prosecute)
- And then by a Black Federal Prosecutor (who refused to prosecute)
- In a Country with a Black President
- Yet they still claim racism.

I am well aware of the "racial and sociopolitical realities".... there were over 2,000,000 arrests last year in the US. That resulted in less than 300 shootings of unarmed men - you have a greater chance of being struck by lightning than being shot by the police.

While furthermore, studies have shown that White Americans are more likely to be shot by US police (per capita) than blacks.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

In a cruel irony, you have proven the very point I have set out to make - you have ignored the bigger picture, and the facts, and cherry picked a few incidents to suppliment your own bias.

If there is one thing on this earth that I cannot and will not tolerate; it is racism. To say a person is racist because of the color of their skin is the definition of racism. It disgusts me to the core of my soul.

If you want to continue this discussion we can use the "Who has the strongest..." because it seems to be dead now.

Yes,we can discuss it but I'm done with that thread! The f'tardation level there is demonic. Try here:
https://www.nairaland.com/2655159/real-nypd

But really,I've zero interest in a shouting match. Before replying,you'll first have to watch those 2 short videos to respond appropriately.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 2:23pm On Jul 18, 2016
Henry24o:

We have to wait till daybreak, the situation in Turkey is still fluid. There are reports of possible insurrections within the army itself.

Turkey was just a false flag psyop! The coup plotters never used social media to reveal Erdogans many misdeeds eg training and funding ISIS and dabbling in Saudi/Israeli shenanigans in Syria. Also he called out Turks into the streets to support him giving him the illusion of popularity.
Having looked at as many Nice 'ATTACK' pics and vids as I could find I'm convinced this was also a psyop,though a bloodless one. I've seen victims run over by trucks,its a mess of blood and body parts. You guys believe those nice clean street pix of body bags are the same location a 20 ton truck ran over 80+ people?? HELL NO!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 3:35pm On Jul 18, 2016
Henry24o:
AMISOM

Exquisitely kitted out Ugandan troops.

Thats German body armor

I wonder where they got it from...
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 3:39pm On Jul 18, 2016
[quote author=africaken254 post=47653992][/quote]

Look at the G3 rifle

The bayonet goes above of the barrel and not underneath.... I learn something new every day on this thread grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (544) (545) (546) (547) (548) (549) (550) ... (2860) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: kabe1 and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.