Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,040 members, 7,883,601 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 01:21 PM

Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? (13383 Views)

Beware! Adulterated Killer Palm Oil Sold In The Markets And Damages It Can Cause / Adulteration Of Food Items In Nigerian Markets / What Name Is SPINACH Called In Our Local Markets? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Aug 10, 2013
Petrol stations, pharmacies, supermarkets, boutiques etc are always clean but it beats my imagination how places where fresh food are sold in nigeria are always dirty; dirty grinders, dirty baskets, dust bin close to wares etc.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Fhemmmy: 7:35pm On Aug 10, 2013
Cos me and you that goes there to buy are dirty, cos the people selling to me and you are dirty.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by tpia5: 8:54pm On Aug 10, 2013
There's a lot of dust blowing in from the sahara, and the temperature is humid, being a tropical country.

besides, the markets arent dirty, dont know what you mean.
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by tpia5: 8:56pm On Aug 10, 2013

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by degurl(f): 2:30pm On Aug 11, 2013
@tipia, it depends on the location of the op. Take for instance; Mararaba/ Karu market is an eye sore compared to markets in areas like Garki/Wuse.

When it rains, you dare not go to market Mararaba/Karu except you have a rubber boot to wear.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Aug 15, 2013
hmmmmmm. ...
those tomatoes are inviting. I tell ya!
dis pix will make a nice wall decor.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Aug 20, 2013
Because Africans and Africa come from a culture that embraces dirt and filth.

Have you seen how a pit toilet is kept clean but a WC toilet will always be covered with piss and shyt?

Have you noticed that however the government tries to clean and refurbish any market, it eventually turns out filthy and disorganized as it formerly was?

Have you noticed that people would rather piss and shyt in the bush or do shotput (ladies) than find a toilet to relieve themselves?

Have you noticed that people would rather brush their teeth outside than use the sinks back in school or NYSC?

Yes, filth goes with Africa.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 20, 2013
A market is a place where buyers and sellers meet to exchange goods and render services in exchange for money.
Nobody says it has to be clean for services to be rendered
wink

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by phil5(m): 11:02pm On Aug 20, 2013
Ask pdp

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by devour129: 11:03pm On Aug 20, 2013
pDude: Because Africans and Africa come from a culture that embraces dirt and filth.
gbam

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Afam4eva(m): 11:03pm On Aug 20, 2013
It's because we don't have well built food markets. What we have is a conglomeration of shanties in the name of markets. Let's also not rule out the fact that Nigerians and Africans have learned to embrace filth as a way of life.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by optimusprime2(m): 11:04pm On Aug 20, 2013
Pleeeaazzzzze...
Have Y'all gone to Farmers market@ Maitama Abuja??
Now thats a Posh Market for Posh people, but then again everybody likes Cheap things, even *YOU!*
so instead of Farmers market@Maitama, one prefares going to Nyanya Market or Karu Market becuz of affordable prices.
Logic: Whoever said husslin' for cheap stuff is tidy or comes neat?
Layman terms: Abi you go wear white suit climb tree?
Haba, Africans be husslers- point blank the End.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Aug 20, 2013
pDude: Because Africans and Africa come from a culture that embraces dirt and filth.
Idiet speak for yourself. You come from culture that embraces filth not me

19 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Aug 20, 2013
9jadelta: Idiet speak for yourself. You come from culture that embraces filth not me

Did you need to call me a bad name to drive your point or disagree with me?

Smh

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Fab4succex: 11:07pm On Aug 20, 2013
[img][/img]
Fhemmmy: Cos me and you that goes there to buy are dirty, cos the people selling to me and you are dirty.
Lwkmd
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Aug 20, 2013
Cos higher percentage of the hawkers/sellers actually take their dirty home manners along to the market.

Most of these markets have got no rules stipulated to keep the users in order, u can always expect it to be dirty.

Thrash cans should be introduced anyway.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by igbsam(m): 11:08pm On Aug 20, 2013
There's this market called ile epo market located at oke - odo, lagos. Oh lawd haf mercy that market is the dirtiest I've ever seen.

The smell oozing out from there is enough to twist ones intestine. This is one of the biggest market in lagos. But the roughness there is nothing to write home about.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Aug 20, 2013
I wouldn't know undecided
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by nyankpa(m): 11:09pm On Aug 20, 2013
Because the country itself is dirty!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Aug 20, 2013
Because buying food stuff from a dirty market environment is cheaper. grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Aug 20, 2013
u said?
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by phil5(m): 11:11pm On Aug 20, 2013
berem: Because buying food stuff from a dirty environment is cheaper. grin
I smell poverty around u

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by trolling(m): 11:11pm On Aug 20, 2013
third world countries i presume

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 20, 2013

You wouldnt know some minutes ago cheesy
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 20, 2013
grin grin grin cheesy cheesy

Head don jam nail grin
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Kslib(m): 11:13pm On Aug 20, 2013
If africans can hardly take care of their streets and surrounding,then dont expect them to keep a market clean which is Nomansland..lol
To throw-way pure water leather for the right place na probelm..
To clean gutter around their houses na problem.. When mosquito chop dirty water con mature like lizard begin give them bites and tatoos for body which leads to malaria,dem go run go buy mosquito net rather than maintian simple hygiene around their Enviroment..
My point is,if africans cannot clean to save their lives,then i see no reason why they should make a market look clean..

Its a pity that a market which is supposed to be the cleanest is the exact opposite..
Like my people do say "Disease no dey kill african man"... Lol
All izz well!

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Afam4eva(m): 11:14pm On Aug 20, 2013
What really worries me is the bananas i see in Lagos everyday. I don't know how people can confidently be selling bananas that look like something sacrificed to obatala. Those bananas are very far from edible.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Aug 20, 2013
Wuse market is extremely clean though. That's the only open market I know; even though I've never bought anything there

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Aug 20, 2013
pDude:

Did you need to call me a bad name to drive your point or disagree with me?

Smh
OK am sorry about that. Truce?
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by tpia5: 11:15pm On Aug 20, 2013
El Guapo:
Most of these markets have got no rules stipulated to keep the users in order, u can always expect it to be dirty.

not true.

the main issue which might give the impression of dirtiness is if there's a trash collection problem, same as what obtains in the rest of nigeria.
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Odunharry(m): 11:15pm On Aug 20, 2013
spongeback: A market is a place where buyers and sellers meet to exchange goods and services in exchange for money.
Nobody says it has to be clean for services to be rendered
wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Introducing The Nines’ Newest Brand Ambassadors / How Many Kilograms/grams Is A Derica Of Rice? / How Do I Cook Pounded Yam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.