Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,877 members, 7,889,926 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 02:41 AM

...shadows Of Death... - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / ...shadows Of Death... (4201 Views)

SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER / Lost but Satisfied / Shadows From The Past....[The Past Came Haunting]-- A Short Story. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 3:34pm On Aug 11, 2013
CHAPTER ONE
I was sad and lonely as memories of my home flooded my mind. I had travelled to the city in search of a greener pasture due to the fact of being 'fed up' with the 'nonsence' and 'insolence' of village life.

As I look back at those days, I feel a pang in my chest as tears trickle down my cheeks. I could remember vividly, my siblings shedding 'crocodile tears' as I termed it on the day of my departure. I was so full of myself. My head swelled with pride and I swore it exceeded its elastic limit cause though I had a small skull, my normal face cap could not size it I had to give the face cap away- to my younger brother.

Finally Ada came along in her car and we drove off.
Ada was a friend of mine who was taking me to city. I and Ada had been classmates since secondary school before she left education for business. She now runs a big restaurant while as a graduate, I was still dilligently, seeking for a job. It was Ada's idea that I should move to the city where there are more job opportunities.
My first night in Lagos was a memorable one. One arrival,my friend took me to one of the well known restaurants in Victoria Island where a welcome party was held in our honour by Ada's friends. I later slept off that expecting a bright new day which later turned into nightmares that I will never forget in years to come.
I stood up from my seat, ready to end it all. I would not live to see the look that will be on my parents' face-especially my mother- when they hear the 'real job' I have been doing over here and to crown it all that I, their most calm and respectful daughter was an AIDS patient. My body shook violently like that of an epileptic victim with uncontrollable sobs. My clothes were already soaked with my own heat and tears. I took a final glance at my three bedroom flat apartment which was given to me by Senator A.I James-A pot bellied man whose mouth smells of garlic- which if not for his money, I did not think that any sensible girl will go out with him.

The room was indeed a luxury that I wouldn't dream of affording if I had depended solely on getting a job. The wine cabinet was fully stocked with different types of wine ranging from Italian cruise of 1884 to french blend of 1992. On the walls which were painted white so as to blend with the golden colour of the curtains, hung different souvenirs which I have brought along from different countries across the continent. On one of the glass tables between the red cushion chairs,lay varieties of phones ranging from iphone 5 to nokia 808 pure view which I bought in Mexico durring one of my visit with Chief Eze Okoro.

Chief Eze Okoro was a man of his words. When I say a man of his own words, I mean he never fails when it comes to 'cash'. He is always ready to spend as far as you play your own part of the game. But I hated him. I hated him so much right from the time I was introduced to him by Ada. Ada! a wolf in a sheep's clothing................

1 Like

Re: ...shadows Of Death... by Sheybor(f): 4:06pm On Aug 11, 2013
I have a feelin dz is goin 2b intrestin....*subscribin*bring it on

2 Likes

Re: ...shadows Of Death... by fankasibe: 6:24pm On Aug 11, 2013
I dey follow u like bed-bug. Keep it up.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 7:06pm On Aug 11, 2013
fankasibe: I dey follow u like bed-bug. Keep it up.
thanks
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 7:10pm On Aug 11, 2013
wink
Sheybor: I have a feelin dz is goin 2b intrestin....*subscribin*bring it on
your guess is right
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by Neduzze5(m): 10:05pm On Aug 11, 2013
beyonDskygirl:
CHAPTER ONE
I was sad and lonely as memories of my home flooded my mind. I had travelled to the city in search of a greener pasture due to the fact of being 'fed up' with the ¹ 'nonscence' and 'insolence' of village life.

As I look back at those days, I ² felt a pang in my chest as tears ³ trickled down my cheeks. I could remember vividly, my siblings shedding 'crocodile tears' as I termed it on the day of my departure. I was so full of myself. My head swelled with pride and I swore it exceeded its elastic limit cause though I had a small skull, my normal face cap could not size it I had to give the face cap away- to my younger brother.

Finally Ada came along in her car and we drove off.
Ada was a friend of mine who was taking me to city. I and Ada had been classmates since secondary school before she left education for ⁴ buisness. She now runs a big restaurant while as a graduate, I was still dilligently, seeking for a job. It was Ada's idea that I should move to the city where there are more job opportunities.
My first night in Lagos was a memorable one. 5 One arrival,my friend took me to one of the well known restaurants in Victoria Island where a welcome party was held in our honour by Ada's friends. I later slept off that expecting a bright new day which later turned into nightmares that I will never forget in years to come.
I stood up from my seat, ready to end it all. I would not live to see the look that will be on my parents' face-especially my mother- when they 6 hears the 'real job' I have been doing over here and to crown it all that I, their most calm and respectful daughter was an AIDS patient. My body shook violently like that of an epileptic victim with uncontrollable sobs. My clothes were already soaked with my own heat and tears. I took a final glance at my three bedroom flat apartment which was given to me by 7 senator A.I James-A pot bellied man whose mouth smells of garlic- which if not for his money, I did not think that any sensible girl will go out with him.

The room was indeed a luxury that I wouldn't dream of affording if I had depended solely on getting a job. The wine cabinet was fully stocked with different types of wine ranging from Italian cruise of 1884 to french blend of 1992. On the walls which were painted white so as to blend with the golden colour of the curtains, hung different souvenirs which I have brought along from different countries across the continent. On one of the glass tables between the red 8 cussion chairs,lay varieties of phones ranging from iphone 5 to nokia 808 pure view which I bought in 9 mexico durring one of my visit with Chief Eze Okoro.

Chief Eze Okoro was a man of his words. When I say a man of his own words, I mean he never fails when it comes to 'cash'. He is always ready to spend as far as you play your own part of the game. But I hated him. I hated him so much right from the time I was introduced to him by Ada. Ada! a wolf in a sheep's clothing................

Okay, if you watch closely, you'll see that I've taken my time to point out some errors and I hope you make the necessary corrections at once and adhere to them.

1. 'nonscence'- I think the right spelling is nonsense

2. "felt"- As for me, I believe that since that sentence is in present tense, the word should be feel and not felt.

3. "trickled" - still on tenses, I think it should be trickle

4. "buisness" correct spelling should be business.

5. Should be On and not One.

6. Hear not hears

7. As a noun, the 's' in Senator should be in capital letter

8. should be cushion and not cussion. Its not even in my dictionary.

9. Still on nouns, the 'm' in Mexico should be capital letters.

My observations cos I see this as a potential front page material. don't keep me waiting oh. Update sharply.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by Neduzze5(m): 10:10pm On Aug 11, 2013
Also, take note of your tenses and be stable with one particular tense. If you're writing in past tense, write in past tense throughout but if you're using present tense, use present tense throughout.

Thanks

Neduzze5™
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 9:03am On Aug 12, 2013
Neduzze5:

Okay, if you watch closely, you'll see that I've taken my time to point out some errors and I hope you make the necessary corrections at once and adhere to them.

1. 'nonscence'- I think the right spelling is nonsense

2. "felt"- As for me, I believe that since that sentence is in present tense, the word should be feel and not felt.

3. "trickled" - still on tenses, I think it should be trickle

4. "buisness" correct spelling should be business.

5. Should be On and not One.

6. Hear not hears

7. As a noun, the 's' in Senator should be in capital letter

8. should be cushion and not cussion. Its not even in my dictionary.

9. Still on nouns, the 'm' in Mexico should be capital letters.

My observations cos I see this as a potential front page material. don't keep me waiting oh. Update sharply.
Thanks very much i will take note of that.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by chistar01(m): 11:13am On Aug 12, 2013
Hmmm
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 12:18pm On Aug 12, 2013
chistar01: Hmmm
say your mind now o
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 1:10pm On Aug 12, 2013
*Thanks@ everyone for your love and care. Actually i'm a newbie in the world of literature therefore i apologise for any mistakes.as for the critics, you're the BOMB. This is new encouragement.Thanks so much. cheesy*
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by jumzzy448: 2:05pm On Aug 12, 2013
More updates pls
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by yemi2plus(m): 2:16pm On Aug 12, 2013
beyonDskygirl: *Thanks@ everyone for your love and care. Actually i'm a newbie in the world of literature therefore i apologise for any mistakes.as for the critics, you're the BOMB. This is new encouragement.Thanks so much. cheesy*
newbie? You must be joking. You write like a professional
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 4:49pm On Aug 12, 2013
yemi2plus2:
newbie? You must be joking. You write like a professional
my head don dey swell o
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 9:43pm On Aug 12, 2013
Few weeks after I arrived at Lagos, I started having funny feelings about Ada. She rarely stayed at home. She is always on one trip or the other and she kept promising to connect me with her boss. Strangely enough for her she never discussed about her restaurant and being a local fool myself I never asked.
I have met friends of my friend and they have been very generous but due to my exravagant lifestyle, I craved for more.

Days ran into weeks and weeks into months but Ada was yet to present a solution to my jobless situation. I got fed up, fed up with Ada and her numerous trips. I decided to confront her one day when she came back from another trip of hers it was then that mystries started unfolding one by one.

"see you can't keep me in the dark for ages you know". I blurted out as soon as she bent to drop her bags. I was dammed ready for her. I saw her movement stiffened and as she rose to face me,I saw something I've never seen in her eyes -fear!- yes, it was fear of the unknown. I wasn't that dumb not to notice it but, what the hell was she afraid of?. She hesitated before she talked.
"what do you mean?" she asked trying to regain her voice.
"I Mean I am going out there to look for a job since you can' get one for me". I said with my hands akimbo. She then laughed, a laugh of relief I will say for the fear in her eyes had left and in its place was amusement.

"You must be joking" she laughed again this time with pure pleasure.

"What do you mean?"I asked starring at her. It was my turn to get confused and I hated it.

"You can't get a job out there" she said sitting down as if my present state wasn't her problem.
I was stunned.
"But you said. ......"

"I said I was going to help you" snapped with a note of finality signaling the end of the discussion. I couldn't believe my ears. Here was I - a degree holder in accounting-yet no job an to compound the whole thing I have an expensive lifestyle. I sat down on the bed next to my looking rejected and forsaken.
Ada's arm came around my shoulders drawing me closer to herself.

"Hey" she said facing me. "Don't worry tomorrow you'll meet my Boss".

"Boss?" I said blinking my eyes.

"Yes. You want work right?
I nodded.

"You'll have work" she said smiling.

"Really?" I needed to be sure.

"Oh yeesss" she drawled. I couldn't contain my excitement any longer.
I jumped down from the bed, performed the salute I learnt during my NYSC, and dashed out without bordering to examine the look on my friend's face which would have made me think twice.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by yemi2plus(m): 10:25pm On Aug 12, 2013
Nice one dear. A moral story in the making.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 8:01am On Aug 13, 2013
yemi2plus2: Nice one dear. A moral story in the making.
How sure are you?
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by Wesslier(m): 8:15am On Aug 13, 2013
hmmm! Indomie dey learn.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by yemi2plus(m): 4:09pm On Aug 13, 2013
beyonDskygirl:
How sure are you?
your first post said it all
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 7:50pm On Aug 13, 2013
yemi2plus2:
your first post said it all
let's wait and see then... You might be right.. ;
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by spaq: 9:16pm On Aug 13, 2013
Ds story's gonna be nyc... I'm seein things already...

1 Like

Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 11:53pm On Aug 13, 2013
I gasped in wonder when I behold the beauty and glory of the magnificient buildings which Ada told me that it was where she worked.
The gate at the entrance of the compound, had the bold inscription 'THE TRUE WAY' with a 'fake' carving of a man on a cross. Taking a closer look at the image, I realised that it must had been carved by the worst artist in the country if not, why would someone design our Lord Jesus in such a worthless way? with his eyes opened wide and lips drawn in a snarl, the image looked more of a kidnapper than a saviour.

Inside the compound was a different world on its own. Buildings with different colours and back ground seemed to emerge from nowhere. Flowers were cut accordingly in various sizes and lengths which were goodworks of professional gardeners. Glancing around, I saw people who I guessed to be workers going in and out of the buildings. All of them wore the same look with Ada-a look of seriousness. At the building painted red and brown with the inscription 'SECURITY', were men discussing in low tones. They stopped and glanced our way as we aproached them.
Some of them looked more like thugs than security men.I saw Ada motioned to one of them whom I later knew his name to be Moses. They spoke for some minutes while I looked around me with interest taking in more information than my brain could carry. Suddenly, I felt eyes boring right through my clothes directly to my bones I turned sharply but it was gone and in its place, was moses showing his brown teeth which was turning black probably due to excessive smoking of marijuana.

"Come with me" he said motioning with his hand.

"To where" I said not sure of myself cause Ada had already disappeared into one of the buildings.

He half- turned giving me one of those 'don't- be- silly' looks and said "to the boss of course".
I followed him obediently with my portfolio under my armpit like a sacrificial lamb going to slaughter.

We arrived at a navy blue painted building which had another inscription 'THE GREAT SUPPLIER'. It was then that I realised that each of the building had a written text on its door.
The door opened on its own as soon as we stepped on the threshold.
We went in and a voice said "welcome"and suprisingly it was a female's.
"Thanks Moses you have overstayed your welcome" the voice said again and Moses saluted and left. Now, I was left alone with the unknown. I felt goose pimples all over my body.

"You can have a seat Jessica".

I jumped.The unknown knew not only of my presence but also my name. I wondered how much she knew me as I staggered to the nearest seat. I was tempted to challenge her to show her face before the telescreen in my front flashed light and there she was, an ugly-duckling who looked more like a vampire than human being. She smiled-a devlish one- which made me regreted ever coming to Lagos to look for work.

"Feel at home beautiful, for you are a god's sent. Your salary will be according to your number of works and will increase everyday as far as you are with us." I sat quitely taking in the bizarre way by which spoke. The words seemed to be emerging from her head instead of lips.
"You can go now, you will start tomorrow. Angela will equip you on your position and the rules and regulations of this company".with that the screen went blank.

Just like that? I asked no one in particular. No need for credentials? What about the work? What the hell I'm supposed to do? and who on earth is Angela?.

My last question was answered when a young lady of about twenty years breezed in. She extended a slim hand which was heavily laden with jewelleries of different sizes.

"Hello, I'm angela you must have been waiting for me". She dragged me up from my seat with a suprising force as soon as my hand made contact with hers and off we went with her chattering about only God knows what.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 12:10am On Aug 14, 2013
Wesslier: hmmm! Indomie dey learn.
cheesy[
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by HumbledbYGrace(f): 1:22pm On Aug 14, 2013
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by HumbledbYGrace(f): 1:23pm On Aug 14, 2013
Added to my following cart, this is what I am talking about.

My friend Neduzze has already pointed some errors and you haven't been paying attention. Please do, I am inlove with your story grin grin

Second feminist uncliche story I have read on this forum, keep it up.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 1:46pm On Aug 14, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: Added to my following cart, this is what I am talking about.

My friend Neduzze has already pointed some errors and you haven't been paying attention. Please do, I am inlove with your story grin grin

Second feminist uncliche story I have read on this forum, keep it up.
Thanks so much... i've started paying attention...now
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by spaq: 7:57pm On Aug 15, 2013
Wot in heaven's name is wrong wit ds thread Where's d op
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 1:48pm On Aug 20, 2013
Friends,sorry for not updating please. I've been loaded with much work I promise to update soon... thanks for your patience.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by Wesslier(m): 2:16pm On Aug 20, 2013
beyonDskygirl: Friends,sorry for not updating please. I've been loaded with much work I promise to update soon... thanks for your patience.
apologies accepted but compensation excepted...
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 1:37pm On Aug 21, 2013
Wesslier:
apologies accepted but compensation excepted...
what compensation do you expect my good friend?
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by yemi2plus(m): 3:33pm On Aug 21, 2013
beyonDskygirl: what compensation do you expect my good friend?
double update
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by Wesslier(m): 4:54pm On Aug 21, 2013
yemi2plus2:
double update
so on point... Maybe triple

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

[thoughts] Gandhi Jayanti Thoughts, Status, Quotes, Wishes, Sms, Messages / The Two Lovebirds / I Present.... (the Travails Of A Medical Student)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.