Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,344 members, 7,978,105 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 07:04 PM

...shadows Of Death... - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / ...shadows Of Death... (4265 Views)

SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER / Lost but Satisfied / Shadows From The Past....[The Past Came Haunting]-- A Short Story. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 6:54pm On Aug 21, 2013
yemi2plus2:
double update
ok na. I'll try my best. undecided[ maybe tonight...
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 7:03pm On Aug 21, 2013
Wesslier:
so on point... Maybe triple
shocked[na wa o.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 11:39pm On Aug 21, 2013
CHAPTER TWO

I glanced at my silver watch which was fastened firmly on my left wrist.
Time: five thirty p.m. I crossed to other side of the street.

The evening air was cool and the ground was still fresh from the affternoon rain. The street traders were already calling their last orders and the beggars could be seen retreating to their tenth.

I peered intently at address given to me and compared it to various houses on the street.
Purpose: I was on my first mission.

I was still uneasy despite Angela's reasuring words "You have to be bold and smart" she had said as she put me through the rules and regulations of Company. She went on to explained how my first mission would creat more opportunities and good access to 'high places'.

The company is a secret organisation which was meant to defend certain legal rights of its individuals and according to her, my work is to get information on the whereabouts of their enemies and report to Ada who was my superior. She will in turn, pass the information to the boss. The boss will then decide the Ministry to handle the case.
I quickend my steps consoling myself that what I was doing was 'legal'.

I shuddered as I came near the last building on the street. It was secluded and its surroundings looked as if it was abandoned for hundred years. I went closer to check the house number praying that it should be wrong. I checked the address on my card and alas!, it was there-No46 Amazon Villa!. "Ada must be crazy! how could she..." The jerked open revealing an angry man with a scowl that can send the bravest man on his heels.Beside him were two muscular fellas who were ready to jump on me if not for the latch that was fastened securely on each of their neck. I stood transfixed. Despite the cold weather, I was sweating profusely.

He raised an eyebrow questioningly as I passed him my card. His expression changed as soon as he read the card. He grinned-a wicked grin though, but it threw more light on his face and I though he looked handsome. He jerked his head signaling me to follow him. The dogs growled as I made a move to step into the house.
"Castro! Snipper!, behave!" the man cautioned them. They seemed to retreat grudgingly swearing to eat me up as soon as I was done. I saw it in their eyes then. They were mocking and jeering at me. The black one with white spots sticked his tongue out at me showing how sparkling it was.

Mr Joe's compound wasn't as bad as the outside. Although the waste bin was carelessly tossed aside while ash trays littered everywhere and the compound looked like it has not been swept for four days. He passed me a dirty plastic chair which I rejected based on reasons best known to me.

I quickly delved into my mission needing to run off as soon as possible.
He grinned when I mentioned that I came to collect an information.

He stood up, went inside and emerged with a fat brown envelop. I collected the parcel, thanked him and was about to leave when he stopped me.

"What?" I said impatiently. The man was a pig.

"Don't you have anything for me?" he asked with his wicked grin.

"Nothing". I said backing away. "This old fool should get away". I said to myself.

Then it happened. Like lightening, he was standing before me. He elbowed me with his muscular arm and within seconds, I was flat on my back. His dogs sprang to their feet and rushed towards me with their tails wagging. I shut my eyes tightly saying my last prayers.

When I opened my eyes, I saw him starring at me.

"You're quite a beauty you know, beauties like you don't do this job. This job is dammed dirty". He said.

I was begining to relax but then I saw.. I saw his hands move to his zippers and the realisation of what he was going to do ran through me like an electric shock. I screamed, kicked, cried and begged him but it was all in vain. The dogs were laughing, laughing at my stupidity and Ignorance.

So it happened, it happened in a dirty compound. A compound filled with dogs' faeces, and that was my reward. My salary for my first 'mission'-molestation.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by HumbledbYGrace(f): 12:02am On Aug 22, 2013
The grass always looks greener from the other side....its when you are standing on it you will realise just how...erm it is.

1 Like

Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 12:06am On Aug 22, 2013
please the next update will be tomorrow evening. Thanks for reading through and please- critics i need you badly as soup needs fish. Thanks @ all.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 12:10am On Aug 22, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: The grass always looks greener from the other side....its when you are standing on it you will realise just how...erm it is.
yes ma'am you're so o right
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by Wesslier(m): 7:34am On Aug 22, 2013
Fire down...
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 9:02pm On Aug 24, 2013
Wesslier: Fire down...
thanks.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by Wesslier(m): 11:10am On Aug 25, 2013
Sm1 may fall "belowdsky" if dey fail 2 do smtin 2day....
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 6:40pm On Aug 25, 2013
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

"How dare you challenge my authority? You are to obey orders and not to qestion them".

I was stunned and confused. Ada must be crazy. How could she expect me to do another job after what happend on the first one? I was going to see the boss myself.

I stormed out of CHARITY hall (which was where i worked) and headed straight to the boss office.
If she has nothing to say, I'll have to resign.

Angela was coming out of the boss office when I got there.

"The boss dosen't want to speak to anybody" she said flatly looking directly at me.

"Then pass this message to her" I said matching her stare. "Tell her I'm done with this work so she should not expect me here tomorrow". I turned and walked towards the exit gate. This work isn't for me. Mr Joe was right after all.

I felt a pair of eyes starring at me, the feeling that I was being followed filled me with uneasiness. I turned and saw someone facing the flowers with shears. The Garderner of course. What was I thinking?.
Suddenly, I heard footsteps and turned to see Angela grining.

"You think you can run away from your shadows? I bet you don't have the least idea of how much we know about you".

"What do you mean?".

"Come" she said.

I followed her like a zombie. This girl was something else.

"I've worked under this company for many years and I've benefited from it". She took a breath, we were in her office.

"This company, has many branches that operates under different names and one of them is Ada's restaurant".

My mouth was agape. I could not believe my ears.

"There are many things you will learn if you continue with us. I have my own cars and houses and I take care of my younger ones. I have access to the government house and I can go to any country of my choice. She paused to see if her words were having any effect on me.

My attention was on her. My mouth was agape.

She smiled an continued.

"My first experience was same as yours. I was hurt. I felt what you are feeling now only that i had no one to advice me. I left and i was abandoned. I slept on streets and had no friends".Her eyes were misty and I felt pity for her.

"One day, I was preparing to sleep when two men stormed into the place and bundled me back here. I was given the beaten of my life after which they gave me back my job". She stood up and came beside me placing her hands on my shoulders.

"You see my dear", she said. "They've got eyes everywhere. You can't run away even the lady on the telescreen is not the real boss so you don't know who is watching".
"So go to your office and finish what you started".

I stood up, thanked her and left.

Reaching my office, I saw a letter on my desk It read; MEET ME @ RESTAURANT time:2:30. ADA. I quickly gathered my papers checked my watch; it was 2:15 pm I had no time.

Ada was waiting for me as I got there.
"So what's the next plan?"
I said as soon as I sat down.
Ada was suprised.

"You are ready for the Job?" she said starring as if she did not believe me.

"yea, go on". I smiled.

She smiled back. "Good girl".
"now there will be a party here tomorrow and influential men in the society will be here".

"So what am I supposed to do?"

"Good question. We are looking for Senator A. I James. He will be among the guests. Your job is to entice him......"

"with what?" I asked already knowing the answer.

"Don't be stupid. Your body of course. You use what you have to get what you want".

I need not to argue. I've learnt that from angela.

"Don't worry, everything will be fine". She said patting my back.

I wondered when things will start being 'fine'.

"Angela will provide you with the costume and other things. Just get his attention and we'll handle the rest".

She rose "any questions?"

I shook my head.

"Then see you at home. I have some other things to attend to".
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 6:50pm On Aug 25, 2013
kiss
Wesslier: Sm1 may fall "belowdsky" if dey fail 2 do smtin 2day....
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by Wesslier(m): 10:08pm On Aug 25, 2013
Anytin else 4 "us" 2nyt?
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by Wesslier(m): 10:10pm On Aug 25, 2013
Anytin else 4 "us" 2nyt?
Stickin around sha...
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 11:17pm On Aug 26, 2013
Ada's restaurant wasn't just an ordinary resaurant where you go anytime you're hungry or whenever you feel like 'chilling out'. It was made for rich men whose only job was to spend money.

We got to the party around 9 pm by then it had already started. The first sight of the guests took my breath away. The turnout was really awesome. I could not believe that I was really going to seat among these rich people pretending to be one of them. I brought out the card which was carefully fabricated by Douglas. On it were the names I was supposed bear. I showed it to the security guards who let me in after unsuccessful rounds of trying to get my attention.

"Be careful child". A voice said behind me. I turned to see the gardener in his own suit. I smiled, there will be no problem after all. I was covered. Moses was somewhere among the crowd, Ada was also there playing the innocent chef and Angela, oh the naughty girl was trying to get a date!. I laughed, a soft laugh of course. I would not like to get the attention of everyone on me.

I seek for one man and that man is Senator A I James.

I walked majestically to my seat smilling to anybody who cared to stare at me. Angela did a good job on that.

I was really enjoying the party. There were different muscians playing different music and people were dancing to different tunes. It was really a funny sight.
Some were dancing 'Azonto' while others were dancing 'Alingo' another set of people still, were dancing Osadebe.

A movement sundenly caught my attention.

A man in '1500 abada' was talking to his friend.

From his movements, one does not need to guess who he was.

His collegues-same atire with him, hailed him as he made his way to his seat.

I got ready for action. A lady came and served me drinks and she slid a note into my palm. Before I could stop her, she has disappeared.

I opened the piece of paper and it read; "Senator A I James is here get ready after his speech."

I folded the paper, took a sip of my drink and waited.

The Senator was called to give his speech. I half listened and only heard the end when he said "drink and enjoy for this is the day that the Lord has made".

Music sprang forth from different parts of the building and he danced majestically to the tunes.

Money in different currencies flew from his friends unto his body as he danced.

Oh boy come see money!!. These pot bellies really have a tree where they plug the 'Owo' from. They were releasing it without mercy.

I was tempted to get some for myself, After all they have enough.

I left my seat and joined the crowed aware of my mission. I knew I was beautiful, oh yes I could Remember my school days when every guy wanted to date Jessica. Now I was fully grown image of Jessica with make ups, well manicured fingers and long eyelashes which was attended to by one of the best beauticians in Lagos and a well-fitted blue silk gown which enhanced all my curves, I knew I was simply -stunning!.

I made my way towards the dancing floor slowly and majestically getting all the attention that I needed and suddenly, I slipped and fell- right into the arms of the senator whose attention was on me earlier on.

I did not touch the ground, I made sure of that and those practices with Angela the previous night wasn't just in vain.

The plan was working.

"Are you okay?" it was the senator's voice.

"I'm fine sir". I said shakingly cause he was still holding me. I jerked away from his hands apologising for the second time.

"Is okay my dear" He said leading me away from the dance floor.....
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 11:24pm On Aug 26, 2013
grin
Wesslier: Anytin else 4 "us" 2nyt?
Stickin around sha...
here we are.... Over to you now... tongue
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by Wesslier(m): 11:52pm On Aug 26, 2013
beyonDskygirl: grin here we are.... Over to you now... tongue
I see... Ok lemme
*dropped* it
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by gameboy727(m): 12:00am On Aug 27, 2013
My dear, if you could kindly replace 'had' for 'has' I would be grateful. Humbly following you.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by Wesslier(m): 12:11am On Aug 27, 2013
U doin pretty wel. Am not gud in correctin ppl as am new in writin but i guess u cud stick 2 a particular tense... Preferably d past tense. Mean while am stil expectin mur... Lolz
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 8:18am On Aug 27, 2013
gameboy727: My dear, if you could kindly replace 'had' for 'has' I would be grateful. Humbly following you.
corrected. Thanks dear.

1 Like

Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 8:23am On Aug 27, 2013
Wesslier: U doin pretty wel. Am not gud in correctin ppl as am new in writin but i guess u cud stick 2 a particular tense... Preferably d past tense. Mean while am stil expectin mur... Lolz
hmmmm.. Oliver twist.Thanks so much... you really dropped some ink into my pen.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by Wesslier(m): 8:47am On Aug 27, 2013
beyonDskygirl: hmmmm.. Oliver twist.Thanks so much... you really dropped some ink into my pen.
wow... So glad i did ...
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 2:31am On Aug 28, 2013
"So may I know your name pretty babe?" Senator James asked taking a sip from his drink.

I accessed him in one glance; a medium height, pot bellied man that seemed to be in his early fifties though his affluent life reduced his age by ten. I frowned.
This man was old enough to be my father. He noticed my expression for he sudenly asked;

"Are you sure you are okay?".

I wanted to yell 'go to hell you fool go to your wife and children' but when I remembered my own share of 'national cake' and the face of my boss,I thought better of it.

I simply smiled and nodded.

"Erm.. I'm Jessica sir."

"Please quit the 'sir' there. Just call me James since we are now friends".

I giggled as I thought how easy every thing was going. We chatted for a while and I told him I came with a friend and was looking for her when I Came into contact with him. All this while, moses had been watching from afar and I saw him pretending to shake hands with a friend.

We spent hours discussing what I could not remember. The party came to an end(i was with him throughout) and he offered to take me home in his convoys which I rejected due to fear of him knowing my plans.

Two days after the party, I was In my place of work hatching another plan with my superior when Senator James called and told me to meet him at Ada's restaurant. I went there only to discover that he left a note telling me to meet him at a hotel. I was angry and terrified at the same time. I was not ready to face another molestation again. I dialled Ada's number and told her of the latest development which she already knew.

Moses was sent to body guard me although it was from afar.

I met the Senator who sat comfortable in one of the chairs enjoying himself. We talked a good deal and did other things too. Later he gave me a check and promised to get a house for me since i had none.

I thanked him and left.

My relationship with the senator grew from better to best and i made sure I got more informations for my superior. One thing i knew during my relationship with the Senator was that he was a drug dealer who travelled a lot. The house was bought by me though it was the Senator's money. I couldn't believe i will one day live in a house so expensive as that.

Angela was elated she helped me furnished the house. Ada was happy or so she said.

"I'm happy for you dear" she had said with a wry smile. I never bothered about her. I was living a fulfiled life so was she there was nothing to worry about.

But I was wrong...

A month after I bought a car, Senator James was murdered. I could not believe Ada when she told me.

"What??" i scream in terror.

Ada showed me the papers.

"He was found dead at the outskirt of the town this morning lying in his own pool of blood".

I could not believe my ears. Ada adviced me to get rid of anything that will implicate me with the police and will also save me from the muderers who might come after me..

#Morning friends#
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by Wesslier(m): 8:20am On Aug 28, 2013
Oliver twins... Sowi twist tinz
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 10:07am On Aug 28, 2013
Wesslier: Oliver twins... Sowi twist tinz
smiley[
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by gameboy727(m): 3:15pm On Aug 28, 2013
Nice. Am sure he was killed cos of the relationship you had with him. So unfortunate. . . . Waiting for the next update sha
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 10:55pm On Aug 28, 2013
gameboy727: Nice. Am sure he was killed cos of the relationship you had with him. So unfortunate. . . . Waiting for the next update sha
hmmm.. Are u really sure? Then..anyway lets read on.... undecided
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by Wesslier(m): 7:02am On Aug 29, 2013
beyonDskygirl: hmmm.. Are u really sure? Then..anyway lets read on.... undecided
oya ryt on... tongue
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by cindyjustice: 2:50pm On Sep 08, 2013
I love ur story but d update is very slow in coming pls do something about it.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by gameboy727(m): 6:21pm On Sep 08, 2013
She probably abandoned the thread. So unfortunate.
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by uchebest2006(m): 10:21am On Sep 09, 2013
9z one babe!
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by beyonDskygirl(f): 9:37pm On Sep 09, 2013
I'm so sorry for delaying the updates. I guess i deserved to be spanked though the delay was'nt intentional.actually, i've been fixing some personal issues which will soon end. Please bear with me @ gameboy727, don't loose hope my dear and @ everyone who spare their precious time to read through, thanks so much.. I promise not to let you down thanks for being patience again luv y'all..
Re: ...shadows Of Death... by gameboy727(m): 5:38pm On Sep 10, 2013
beyonDskygirl: I'm so sorry for delaying the updates. I guess i deserved to be spanked though the delay was'nt intentional.actually, i've been fixing some personal issues which will soon end. Please bear with me @ gameboy727, don't loose hope my dear and @ everyone who spare their precious time to read through, thanks so much.. I promise not to let you down thanks for being patience again luv y'all..
Owkay. No qualms since we've known you reasons. Hope the personal issues have been resolved?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

{###speech*}gandhi Jayanti Speech, Short Speech, Simple Speech, Anchoring Speech / An Open Welcome Letter To 2016 By Fattbabakay / FEDDIE GIRL (The Nigerian Federal/Boarding School Novel By Nona David)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.