Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,661 members, 7,926,890 topics. Date: Wednesday, 21 August 2024 at 03:12 AM

Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church (1376 Views)

Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? / Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? / Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Nobody: 8:11am On Aug 17, 2013
I shudder to think how some people who call themselves xtians,would still be going to a church they are ashamed to be indentified with publicly.

If you know you are not proud about your church or not sure about the genuinty of their teachings,the best option should be to leave the church.

I am a catholic,I declare it everwhere on my dp,my signature everywhere.so proud to be one
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Nobody: 8:38am On Aug 17, 2013
To tackle your question directly, a Christian being ashamed to publicly identity with his/her church can be attributed to stigma.

In some communities, certain religious groups are frowned upon, because of their differing doctrines. For example, Jehovah's witnesses are shunned by most Catholics and protestants because, they don't believe in trinity and hell fire, etc.

So in other to identify with people of other institutions, a weak willed Christian or for reasons of self preservation might decide to publicly dissociate himself from his church just to 'belong', so to speak.

3 Likes

Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Dzany(m): 8:46am On Aug 17, 2013
people are not ashamed..........it's called self-preservation......
Some person(s) will hate you if you are a member of certain church(es) in Nigeria.
This can seriously affect your bussiness, social relationship.....and even work place.

People hate what they don't understand!
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Nobody: 8:48am On Aug 17, 2013
Even on anonymous forumns like NL some dudes are refusing to disclose their churches.Could that also be attributed to stigma?
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Nobody: 8:53am On Aug 17, 2013
chukwudi44: Even on anonymous forumns like NL some dudes are refusing to disclose their churches.Could that also be attributed to stigma?

Stigma is everywhere, bro. It's part of us.

Maintaining a church anonymity might give you an advantage over the next identified moniker, in the sense that you can be more flexible in your opinions and such.
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by k2039: 9:01am On Aug 17, 2013
chukwudi44: Even on anonymous forumns like NL some dudes are refusing to disclose their churches.Could that also be attributed to stigma?
That's because I don't have a church. My girl friend is a catholic though (are you happy chukwudi44).

If I had to choose a church, I'm likely to go to Daystar though.
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by mumumugu(m): 12:21pm On Aug 17, 2013
Why are atheist ashamed of professinng non belief publickly
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Nobody: 12:50pm On Aug 17, 2013
FrostyZonn:

Stigma is everywhere, bro. It's part of us.

Maintaining a church anonymity might give you an advantage over the next identified moniker, in the sense that you can be more flexible in your opinions and such.

i see so thatz what majority of anti-catholics do.To avoid us detecting the hypocrisy of thie scandalised churches
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Nobody: 12:55pm On Aug 17, 2013
chukwudi44:

i see so thatz what majority of anti-catholics do.To avoid us detecting the hypocrisy of thie scandalised churches

Your words, not mine.
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Nobody: 12:58pm On Aug 17, 2013
FrostyZonn:

Your words, not mine.
bros na true i talk naa
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Enigma(m): 1:00pm On Aug 17, 2013
A "Christian" is a Christian. smiley

A Christian does not need denominations and abominations like "Roman Catholic Church", "Power Must Change Hands Ministry" etc etc.

There is ONLY ONE Church --- and that is the Christian Church!

Nevertheless, given the weaknesses of humans that led us to denominations and abominations, Christians can still fellowship together --- even if they belong to different denominations.

Christians can admit other Christians to "Holy Communion" --- even if they belong to different denominations.

Finally: it is a huge mistake and even quite un-Christian and un-Christlike to ask Christians to identify themselves by denominations. Strictly speaking Christians should only be identified or identify themselves as ------ Christians!

smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 17, 2013
Enigma: A "Christian" is a Christian. smiley

A Christian does not need denominations and abominations like "Roman Catholic Church", "Power Must Change Hands Ministry" etc etc.

Nevertheless, given the weaknesses of humans that led us to denominations and abominations, Christians can still fellowship together --- even if they belong to different denominations.

Christians can admit other Christians to "Holy Communion" --- even if they belong to different denominations.

Finally: it is a huge mistake and even [u]quite un-Christian and un-Christlike to ask Christians to identify themselves by denominations. Strictly speaking Christians should only be identified orr identify themselves as ------ [b]Christians
!

smiley

TRUE TALK BUT UNFORTUNATELY NOT WHAT HAPPENS IN REALITY.WE KNOW WE BELONG TO DIFFERANT CONGRAGATION WITH DIFFERANT SCRIPTURAL INTERPRETATIONS
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by tpia5: 1:04pm On Aug 17, 2013
Different strokes for different folks.

Everyone isnt the same and dont have to be clones of one another.

There are catholics who dont publicly identify their church either, not because they are ashamed but simply because they dont feel a need to.

Nairaland is not a gulag and nobody should feel they have to force others to be like them.

What has identifying your church got to do with somebody's presence here, are you looking for disciples? Besides, doesnt the grapevine aka gossipline take care of all that anyway.
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Enigma(m): 1:05pm On Aug 17, 2013
chukwudi44:

TRUE TALK BUT UNFORTUNATELY NOT WHAT HAPPENS IN REALITY.WE KNOW WE BELONG TO DIFFERANT CONGRAGATION WITH DIFFERANT SCRIPTURAL INTERPRETATIONS

Na di same chukwudi44 be dis so?

2 Likes

Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 17, 2013
chukwudi44:
bros na true i talk naa

When you play poker, do you reveal your hand all at once? No!

The same applies to public forum, which is an avenue for people to blow off steam and escapes momentarily from the real world. Some people on the other hand tend to take it serious by revealing their hands[identity] and subsequently getting mocked for their troubles.

I'm a Christian, but there is no way I'm telling anyone in this forum or any forum for that matter, which church I belonged to. And it's not for fear of Stigma either but rather for flexibility reasons.
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Ishilove: 1:15pm On Aug 17, 2013
Dzany: people are not ashamed..........it's called self-preservation......
Some person(s) will hate you if you are a member of certain church(es) in Nigeria.
This can seriously affect your bussiness, social relationship.....and even work place.

People hate what they don't understand!
True. For example, a member of a white garment church might opt to hide his denomination if he works in a place where his bosses are anti-kerubu grin
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Ishilove: 1:16pm On Aug 17, 2013
FrostyZonn:

The same applies to public forum, which is an avenue for people to blow off steam and escapes momentarily from the real world. Some people on the other hand tend to take it serious by revealing their hands[identity] and subsequently getting mocked for their troubles.

I'm a Christian, but there is no way I'm telling anyone in this forum or any forum for that matter, which church I belonged to. And it's not for fear of Stigma either but rather for flexibility reasons.
That approach borders on paranoia grin
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Nobody: 1:17pm On Aug 17, 2013
Ishilove:
That approach borders on paranoia grin

How??
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Nobody: 1:19pm On Aug 17, 2013
FrostyZonn:

grin grin grin grin grin

I DON DE CATCH THEM ONE BY ONE
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Nobody: 1:21pm On Aug 17, 2013
chukwudi44: grin grin grin grin grin

How na? Like someone mentioned in this thread, self preservation is not the same as being ashamed, no bi so?
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Nobody: 1:22pm On Aug 17, 2013
FrostyZonn:

How na? Like someone mentioned in this thread, self preservation is not the same as being ashamed, no bi so?
BROS NA WHO WON KILL U NAA
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by tpia5: 1:23pm On Aug 17, 2013
^ you're nosy, bro.

Why do you need the information.

There's something called privacy and personal boundaries for every individual- same way some people are ok exposing their whole bodies to the general public while others prefer to cover up, people are comfortable with different things and as long as no law is being broken, let them be.

Hounding is one thing i detest so much, some folks will literally hound you about your personal life even when your words and body language show you are considering it distasteful.

1 Like

Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Nobody: 1:26pm On Aug 17, 2013
chukwudi44:
BROS NA WHO WON KILL U NAA

Wetin dis one dey talk, again??
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 17, 2013
tpia@:
^ you're nosy, bro.

Why do you need the information.

There's something called privacy and personal boundaries for every individual- same way some people are ok exposing their whole bodies to the general public while others prefer to cover up, people are comfortable with different things and as long as no law is being broken, let them be.

Hounding is one thing i detest so much, some folks will literally hound you about your personal life even when your words and body language show you are considering it distasteful.

Concurred.
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by tpia5: 1:44pm On Aug 17, 2013
^ people do have the right to maintain their privacy and not have the whole world all up in their business, this internet age is destroying boundaries so much that people dont even know what those are anymore.

Imo, you should tailor your curiosity to your audience. If someone doesnt want to release information, no need to harass them for it when they committed no crime.

Just move on to a chatty person who likes talking and sharing their life, whats wrong with that.
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by DandeNumeruno(m): 1:57pm On Aug 17, 2013
Bia Mr Chukwudi, kedu ihe iji Uka m n'aga eme, nwanna?

Enwe prize Iga eyem ma nkwuputa ya, k'obu mkputu nkiti nno, ka I n'eme?

Translation;

Look here, Mr Chukwudi, what's your business with the church that I'm going, dude?

Is there any prize to be won in the sense I talked, or are you just making unnecessary noise?
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Nobody: 2:21pm On Aug 17, 2013
grin wink
Dan_de_Numeruno: Bia Mr Chukwudi, kedu ihe iji Uka m n'aga eme, nwanna?

Translation;

Look here, Mr Chukwudi, what's your business with the church that I'm going, dude?

Is there any prize to be won in the sense I talked, or are you just making unnecessary noise?
Dan_de_Numeruno: Bia Mr Chukwudi, kedu ihe iji Uka m n'aga eme, nwanna?

Translation;

Bia nwokem kpa chalakwa anya giooo
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by DandeNumeruno(m): 2:44pm On Aug 17, 2013
chukwudi44: grin wink

Bia nwokem kpa chalakwa anya giooo

Gini?!! Ngwa, lee anya n'azu gi nkwa nkwa, okwa ihuru onye ahu n'ene gi anya ojoo? O mu. Ikpakwana agu aka na odu, i nura?
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 17, 2013
grin

[quote author Dan_de_Numeruno]

Gini?!! Ngwa, lee anya n'azu gi nkwa nkwa, okwa ihuru onye ahu n'ene gi anya ojoo? O mu. Ikpakwana agu aka na odu, i nura?[/quote]

grin grin Lol nwanne enyegom mana so ife mfulu bu ebe ina agbazi oso

Seriously I opened this thread because of hypocrites like superior and naijadehia who go about attcking other churches from one thread to another refusing to disclose their own churches.
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by tpia5: 3:05pm On Aug 17, 2013
chukwudi44: grin grin grin grin grin

Thats what you said.

Sounds general, to me.
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by lacum: 4:29pm On Aug 17, 2013
Enigma: A "Christian" is a Christian. smiley

Finally: it is a huge mistake and even quite un-Christian and un-Christlike to ask Christians to identify themselves by denominations. Strictly speaking Christians should only be identified or identify themselves as ------ Christians!

smiley
my brother, u dont have a point at all. if thats it, den y do u call catholics, winners etc. when u want to talk about things u believe catholics are wrong at, u wil often say "catholics blieve in images, mary" etc ,y snot say" xtians blieve in images mary etc.
its clear that u guys are ashamed to name ur church because u dont know where u stand so ur not sure of ur church because in d first place its not even supposed to be called a church. u bliev dat jesus founded only one church but cannot identify it but we the catholics know that we are in that church founded by jesus dats y we are not ashamed to talk about it.
Re: Why Would A Christian Be Ashamed To Be Associated With His/her Church by haibe(m): 4:32pm On Aug 17, 2013
Ishilove:
True. For example, a member of a white garment church might opt to hide his denomination if he works in a place where his bosses are anti-kerubu grin

hahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahhahahhhhahahahhahahahahahhahahahaha hahhahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahhahahhahahhahhhahahahahaha hahhahahaha

lwtmb... #antikerubu

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Words You Should't Tell An Atheist / Why Does God Refer To Himself In The Plural? / Not Heeding Church Ushers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.