Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,762 members, 7,975,887 topics. Date: Tuesday, 15 October 2024 at 02:52 PM

What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? (22732 Views)

Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / Is It Wrong To Worship In One Church And Pay Tithe In Another Church? / Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by akinwaleok: 7:47pm On Aug 21, 2013
sidespin: I WILL BE GLAD IF YOU CAN SHOW ME WHERE PETER, PAUL, JAMES AND OUR BLESSED LORD COLLECTED OR RECEIVED TITHES.
IN THE NEW TESTAMENT, JESUS BECAME POOR FOR WE TO BE RICH.
U MAKE UP UR MIND TO GIVE TO GOD WHAT US CONVENIENT EACH TIME U RECEIVE MONEY. U ARE NOT UNDER ANY COMPULSION. NO CURSE IS ATTACHED TO U. YOU ARE NOT A JEW. THEY HAD TO DO THAT TO RECEIVE GOD'S BLESSING AWAITING WHEN CHRIST WILL COME.
IN THE NEW TESTAMENT, THERE IS GIVING, HELPING - NOT SOWING

2 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by vickkyspassion: 7:48pm On Aug 21, 2013
jude d writer: When u pay tithe u are obeying God; even if ur pastor uses ur tithe to buy a house, dat is none of ur business, u have obeyed God. God knows hw to handle his servants that abuse church money. By the way, if u don't tithe ur pocket will be tight wink
ur last statement is a lie. My family as a whole has never payed tithe and God has been blessing us. Take for intance, If u knw dat some 419 asked u to be paying some amt of money to their acct dat if u don't pay it or u are not regular with it u will die, will u continue to pay it or u'll take neccessary actions to stop dat craze. Ok, u will continue to pay it and pray that God will will judge dem abi Pls my dear don't be ignorant, the bible even said it dat false prophet/pastors will raise in the last days and with sweet words they shall deceive the heart of the simple. Ignorance is not an excused in Heaven my dear.
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by uchdollar111: 7:55pm On Aug 21, 2013
It is always good for a christian to pay tithe in fact, it is a commandment from the Lord, actually it started when Abraham gave 1/10 of his earnings to Melchizedech. And since then, it became a commandment so. Christians pay ur tithes. Anyway, to test ur knowledge and play a free online version of who wants to be a millionaire, plus latest news visit www.nairaquest.com
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by SHAAWA: 8:01pm On Aug 21, 2013
There's nuthing wrong with paying tithes, the question is who should benefit from it?
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by Excellentmove: 8:12pm On Aug 21, 2013
SHAAWA: There's nuthing wrong with paying tithes, the question is who should benefit from it?
there is no single verse in d bible where God commanded CHRISTIANS to pay 10% of their salaries/wages every month end to God, Jesus, pastor or church organisation. Pls if u'v seen, kindly show us. God bless.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by soledadd: 8:13pm On Aug 21, 2013
I cannever grudge over giving offerin in the church. I can give even more than ten times in a service simply because God is so generous. When i have something to give it gives me joy. I have a cousin who vowed not to give at all in every service no matter what. Reason beign that the priests are already very rich. He is close to 40 year now and miserable. A graduate of 10 years that cannot lay his hand on any job and bussiness. He keep soliciting for money from relatives even his younger ones. I cannever approach the house of God empty handed and God has never stopped blessing me.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by ccharlex: 8:19pm On Aug 21, 2013
damosky12:
When I say Law, I mean 'rules u must follow to keep your salvation intact, ie: keeping the old testament laws. When I say principles, I mean things you must do to attract God's "special" intervention on specific areas of your life. Ie, Giving is a principle for Recieving,

Scammer and his principle... Hmmm so na Chemistry or Physics be dis wan again What happened to 'seek d kingdom of God & every other thing will be added onto you'.. And wasn't it God that gave you the money? If it was Him, hasn't he collected his share before givin you d rest...

Paying Tithe opens the windows of heaven for your benefits and rebukes devourers for your sake. MALACHY 3:11
so If I don't pay tithe, ur 'devourer' will be after me & I won't receive benefits from window of heaven Sir wit due respect, u need to go back and brush up ur theology, cos peeps like you make God unpopular, keep on pounding on Malachi 3 & abandoning d Fact dat Christ said "ANYTHING u ask in my name, my father & your father will grant"
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by ccharlex: 8:20pm On Aug 21, 2013
damosky12:
When I say Law, I mean 'rules u must follow to keep your salvation intact, ie: keeping the old testament laws. When I say principles, I mean things you must do to attract God's "special" intervention on specific areas of your life. Ie, Giving is a principle for Recieving,

Scammer and his principle... Hmmm so na Chemistry or Physics be dis wan again What happened to 'seek d kingdom of God & every other thing will be added onto you'.. And wasn't it God that gave you the money? If it was Him, hasn't he collected his share before givin you d rest...

Paying Tithe opens the windows of heaven for your benefits and rebukes devourers for your sake. MALACHY 3:11
so If I don't pay tithe, ur 'devourer' will be after me & I won't receive benefits from window of heaven Sir wit due respect, u need to go back and brush up ur theology, cos peeps like you make God unpopular, keep on pounding on Malachi 3 & abandoning d Fact dat Christ said "ANYTHING u ask in my name, my father & your father will grant"
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by christemmbassey(m): 8:22pm On Aug 21, 2013
soledadd: I cannever grudge over giving offerin in the church. I can give even more than ten times in a service simply because God is so generous. When i have something to give it gives me joy. I have a cousin who vowed not to give at all in every service no matter what. Reason beign that the priests are already very rich. He is close to 40 year now and miserable. A graduate of 10 years that cannot lay his hand on any job and bussiness. He keep soliciting for money from relatives even his younger ones. I cannever approach the house of God empty handed and God has never stopped blessing me.
abeg wc church u dey go to?
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by mwaza02: 8:31pm On Aug 21, 2013
Well i am not in anyway asking anyone to pay tithe or not to, i check with my catholic church and you are not expected to pay tithes i know some young Nigerian priest are now into it, if in doubt check with catholic experts from. http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/search.asp. The act of giving just to receive is quite foolhardy if you think the giving is in donating just money. The simple giving is in our acts to your neighbor(fellow mankind).

each time people talk about tithe the only quote the old testament quoting the mosaic laws, now christ has come and fulfilled this laws and prophesies . We as christian have been born into the same priesthood as christ and do not require to pay the tenth to a levite as we share in the priesthood by virtue of our baptism into christ we born into same priesthood as melchizedik the priest of saleem,

Also tithe was only to be paid by head of the family and never by everyone in the house.

Tithe was never money but food , it was never a monthly thing but your harvest at the end of the year , you were to sit with your family and eat , only some portion of the ten was given to the priest . It was on the third year all went to the priest.

it was when jerusalem was too far that food was sold and money taken to jerusalem.

How come nobody talk about the laws in leviticus that say not to eating animals like pork , dogs etc , we accept the teaching of the new testament on this that not what goes in makes a man sin but what comes out of the heart. Selfishly some preachers have held on to tithing

What about laws that makes a woman unclean during menstruation and other such laws in the old testament laws that require sacrifice of animals have christ fulfilled those but not able to fulfilled tithing law? i am puzzled.

if you feel is ok to pay tithe please do if you feel "No" then don't but i thought i share this knowledge with you , looking forward to factual disputes please

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by ccharlex: 8:46pm On Aug 21, 2013
uchdollar111: It is always good for a christian to pay tithe in fact, it is a commandment from the Lord, actually it started when Abraham gave 1/10 of his earnings to Melchizedech. And since then, it became a commandment so. Christians pay ur tithes.

Abraham is nt a christian & never payed tithe on his belongings, but rather on d spoils of war Gen 14:20 and also its not a commandment.... Pls keep ur hard earned money or better still donate to well meaning charities if u may, not to people who are already richer than you.
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by sonogo(m): 9:06pm On Aug 21, 2013
My brothers and sisters me I no fit shout I stop giving to pastors when I came back from china. God. Bless those people with too much cash ooo and them no dey go church oooooo. You do the maths and tell. Yourself the truth.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by nelklyn(m): 9:15pm On Aug 21, 2013
Some impressions need to to be corrected.
THERE ARE TWO FORMS OF TITHES WITH DIFFERENT PURPOSES

TITHE 1(The Yearly Tithe)
PURPOSE:- To Learn to fear God Always
Deuteronomy 14:22-26
22  You shall surely tithe all the yield of your seed produced by your field EACH YEAR.
23  And you shall eat before the Lord your God in the place in which He will cause His Name [and Presence] to dwell the tithe (tenth) of your grain, your new wine, your oil, and the firstlings of your herd and your flock, THAT YOU MAY LEARN [reverently] TO FEAR THE LORD YOUR GOD ALWAYS.
24  And if the distance is too long for you to carry your tithe, or the place where the Lord your God chooses to set His Name [and Presence] is too far away for you, when the Lord your God has blessed you,
25  Then you shall turn it into money, and bind up the money in your hand, and shall go to the place [of worship] which the Lord your God has chosen. 26  And you may spend that money for whatever your appetite craves, for oxen, or sheep, or new wine or strong[er] drink, or whatever you desire; and you shall eat there before the Lord your God and you shall rejoice, you and your household.

TITHE 2(The End Of Every THREE(3) Years Tithe)
PURPOSE:- To provide for the LEVITE(God's Servants), Strangers(Poor, needy etc), Widows and Fatherless.

Deuteronomy 14: 27-29
27  And you shall not forsake or neglect the Levite [God’s minister] in your towns, for he has been given no share or inheritance with you.
28  At the end of every three years you shall bring forth all the tithe of your increase the same year and lay it up within your towns.
29  And the LEVITE [because he has no part or inheritance with you] and the STRANGER or temporary resident, and the FATHERLESS and the WIDOW who are in your towns shall come and eat and be satisfied, so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands that you do.

And also for TITHE 2
From the book of malachi 3:10 "Bring all the tithes (the whole tenth of your income) into the storehouse, THAT THERE MAY BE FOOD IN MY HOUSE, and prove Me now by it, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." (Purpose: THAT THERE MIGHT BE FOOD IN MY HOUSE which should be used to feed those in lack)

Form the New Testament Paul for instance didn't collect tithes from the churches except welfare gifts that were giving of free will.

Philippians 4:10-19
10  I was made very happy in the Lord that now you have revived your interest in my welfare after so long a time; you were indeed thinking of me, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11  Not that I am implying that I was in any personal want, for I have learned how to be content (satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted) in whatever state I am. 12  I know how to be abased and live humbly in straitened circumstances, and I know also how to enjoy plenty and live in abundance. I have learned in any and all circumstances the secret of facing every situation, whether well-fed or going hungry, having a sufficiency and enough to spare or going without and being in want. 13  I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency]. 14  But it was right and commendable and noble of you to contribute for my needs and to share my difficulties with me. 15  And you Philippians yourselves well know that in the early days of the Gospel ministry, when I left Macedonia, no church (assembly) entered into partnership with me and opened up [a debit and credit] account in giving and receiving except you only. 16  For even in Thessalonica you sent [me contributions] for my needs, not only once but a second time. 17  Not that I seek or am eager for [your] gift, but I do seek and am eager for the fruit which increases to your credit [the harvest of blessing that is accumulating to your account]. 18  But I have [your full payment] and more; I have everything I need and am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent me. [They are the] fragrant odor of an offering and sacrifice which God welcomes and in which He delights. 19  And my God will liberally supply (fill to the full) your every need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

MY CONCLUSION:
You can decide to give prophet offerings willingly to pastors that feed you spiritually to take care of their welfare.
But as for TITHE 2 If it is to be given then it should be used to provide for those in need(in my view especially the poor, fatherless, widows etc).
But If TITHE 2 has to be used to take care of God's Servant as well, then such a person should not be engaged in any form of work that yields money for him/her except to Teach the word ofGod
(NOTE:- Deuteronomy 14:29 says "And the LEVITE(God's Servants) [because he has no part or inheritance with you]". The Levites had no way of earning income then.
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by drealdoc89(m): 9:23pm On Aug 21, 2013
Gombs:

Wot if I'm selling cars and don't have farm produce, and I didn't travel far frm my church, so it shdnt be a problem if I take one-tenth of the total cars to church, would it? Evn if I drive the car to church as tithe, you wud stil call pastors thieves. Ok frm wot you said, "tithe is to be paid yearly or every three years adding up all the previous years" imagine a church of 15,000 members, who after as you said every 3yrs now brought their farm produce...imagine the amount of cow, chicken, yams, beans, maize that wud litter d church altar...evn at that you'd say "gullible pple feeding the pastors while poor people starve to death". Also from this " Tithe is farm produce and not money meaning if I don't farm, then tithing aint for me, yes?

Sir understand quoted Moses's law, tithing was never of Moses but abraham. Question then is, did abraham give farm produce? If he didn't, then Abraham did it wrongly, no?

We are NO LONGER under the law

Roman 6 v 14 New Living Translation

...for you no longer live under the requirements of the law. Instead, you live under the freedom of God's grace.

Gal 3v25 New Living Translation

And now that the way of faith has come, we no longer
need the law as our guardian.

But look what paul said about the law in romans 13 from verses

9 The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

If then love is the fulfillment of the LAWS of Moses, Jesus then said

John 14v15 King James Bible

If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Who gave the command in Malachi 3v8-11??

You are an atheist I gathered, in Christianity, we believe in the Trinity. God=Jesus=Holy Spirit. I knw tis hard for you to wrap your head around that, but this is what Paul said about it in 1corinth 2v14

14 The person without the Spirit does not
accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but
considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.
thank u!
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by Goshen360(m): 9:26pm On Aug 21, 2013
Tithing is ABOLISHED in the New Testament - Hebrews 7. Read it slowly and with understanding!
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by DrummaBoy(m): 9:37pm On Aug 21, 2013
Goshen360: Tithing is ABOLISHED in the New Testament - Hebrews 7. Read it slowly and with understanding!

https://www.nairaland.com/1319662/goshen360s-exposition-hebrew-7-abrahams
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by drealdoc89(m): 9:39pm On Aug 21, 2013
mwaza02: Well i am not in anyway asking anyone to pay tithe or not to, i check with my catholic church and you are not expected to pay tithes i know some young Nigerian priest are now into it, if in doubt check with catholic experts from. http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/search.asp. The act of giving just to receive is quite foolhardy if you think the giving is in donating just money. The simple giving is in our acts to your neighbor(fellow mankind).

each time people talk about tithe the only quote the old testament quoting the mosaic laws, now christ has come and fulfilled this laws and prophesies . We as christian have been born into the same priesthood as christ and do not require to pay the tenth to a levite as we share in the priesthood by virtue of our baptism into christ we born into same priesthood as melchizedik the priest of saleem,

Also tithe was only to be paid by head of the family and never by everyone in the house.

Tithe was never money but food , it was never a monthly thing but your harvest at the end of the year , you were to sit with your family and eat , only some portion of the ten was given to the priest . It was on the third year all went to the priest.

it was when jerusalem was too far that food was sold and money taken to jerusalem.

How come nobody talk about the laws in leviticus that say not to eating animals like pork , dogs etc , we accept the teaching of the new testament on this that not what goes in makes a man sin but what comes out of the heart. Selfishly some preachers have held on to tithing

What about laws that makes a woman unclean during menstruation and other such laws in the old testament laws that require sacrifice of animals have christ fulfilled those but not able to fulfilled tithing law? i am puzzled.

if you feel is ok to pay tithe please do if you feel "No" then don't but i thought i share this knowledge with you , looking forward to factual disputes please

ur conclusion was on point up to a point.
I will say here dat,Tithing s nt mandatory for evrybody buh a necessary kingdom principle. It s either u tk it or leave it!
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by DrummaBoy(m): 9:40pm On Aug 21, 2013
21 Reasons Why You Should Not Tithe Today:

1. The tithe was the tax instituted by God to sustain the levithical priesthood. This has been changed with d coming of Christ's eternal Priesthood that does not need tithing to sustain it, Hebrew 7:12.

12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law

2. Tithing is obligatory giving. 2 Cor 9:7 shows that NT giving should never be obligatory.

7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

3. Abraham tithing, which some argue is pre-law, was a once for all thing and it was a tithe of spoil of war. Christian's incomes today is not war spoil. If we must tithe like Abraham, it must be once and for all and we must give the rest away like he did. God never demanded tithes from war spoils in all the wars Israel waged in the OT.

4. Jesus' mention of the tithe in Matthew 23:23 was in keeping with the Mosaic law, same way he commands those healed of diseases to report to the priest after he's healed them.

23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Matthew 8:3 And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed. 4 And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, show thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

5. Paul, the leading NT author, never mentioned tithing in all his epistles, including the pastoral ones.

6. The tithe as mentioned in Abram's case, the law, Jesus, etc, was never hard core cash. The tithe was always from agricultural produce. How it transformed for this to monthly or weekly income can only be explained by modern day preachers.

7. The tithe mentioned under Moses was three type: that included giving to levite, giving to the poor, widows, etc and feasting by the tithers themselves. Which one are we to practise today, if indeed we are meant to tithe?

8. The tithe mentioned in Malachi 3 is an offshoot of the tithe that originated from the Mosaic law. The Malachi tithe ended in a curse. Believers today have been redeemed from the curse by Jesus being made a curse for us.

Galatians 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

9. Tithing, like circumcision, was both pre-law and within law, but Paul argued passionately that Christians are not bound to be circumcised. This argument can be applied to tithing too.

Galatians 5:2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
Galatians 5:2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised tithes, Christ shall profit you nothing.

10. Tithing denies the grace of God: God has freely given us all things, as he gave us Jesus Christ.

Galatians 5:3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised tithes, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. 4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
Romans 8:32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

So far, I have given what I would call 'scriptural' reasons for not tithing. I continue with 'non scriptural' but sensible reasons:

11. Historically tithing was first practised by Gentiles 700 after Christ.

12. Tithing is the institutional church means of supporting its bogus and unnecessary system.

13. Tithing became popular among Baptist, Mormon and Catholic churches with time, although recent popes do not emphasize tithing.

14. Luther, Calvin, Wesley, Spurgeon and some other former reputable men of God never preached tithing and spoke against it.

15. Tithing is not practical. Like in the case of the OP, many people are not sure how much to tithe; whether to tithe lottery monies; or tithe business capital or school fees; etc.

16. There is also the conflict either to pay tithe or to use the money to provide for a family need, buy drugs, ap fees, etc.

17. The word 'pay' shows that pay tithes today are doing according to the law because that word denotes fulfilling an obligation.

18. If tithing was to be limited to 'give' and not 'pay' it would be tendering more to the NT spirit that permit freedom in giving as we purpose in our hearts.

19. Jesus said in Matthew 23:23 that we should follow after weightier matters of the law; thus tithing is not weighty. Paul in Romans 14 shows that matters of doctrine that are not weighty should be left to individuals to decide to do or not: there fore 'He that tithes, to the Lord he tithe... But he that does not tithe, to the Lord he does not tithe'.

20. In spite of the liberty Paul has given the church to follow in Romans 14, some insist that tithing must be compulsory; therefore, a worthy response to them is that tithing is not compulsory.

21. Lastly, for now, tithing feeds the flamboyant, ostentatious, arrogant, un Christlike, and selfishness of today's gospel preacher. Thus, to justify these lifestyle, the prosperity gospel is promulgated. The root of Jet, Limousine and mansion acquisitions is the tithe.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Aug 21, 2013
@poster
there is absolutely nothing wrong in paying your tithe in CHURCH. you are doing the right thing and acting as the obedient child of God dat u are. don't let the anti-tithers discourage you. i had to emphasize the `Church' cos der re even those who believe in d tithe bt think they can pay it anywhere but d church. you see they have set themselves as enemies of the church of christ. if only they wil let us be. you don't believe in tithe? keep at it. but don't discourage d tithers. one day God wil separate the chaff from the wheat

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by Goshen360(m): 10:00pm On Aug 21, 2013
damosky12:
Predestination is a different ball game. That talks more about our salvation in Christ and not finance.
There is depth of open heaven blessings you can not experience without paying your tithes and offering.
Am not a G.O, neither do I collect tithes from anybody but, obviously from the scriptures, you are expected to be "faithful" to God with your income. Tithe is God's own way of insuring your finance, job, businesses and properties.
The reason many of you lose what belongs to you is simply because you dont pay tithe. The devourer could capitalize on this. If you pay tithes, God said: " And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes,.." . That means there is a devourer. I didnt write it o, God did. It isnt a Scam. IT IS REAL!!!

Seriously, people of God. I wish I have time to follow and teach this subject again and again UNTIL THE TITHE CAPTIVES ARE SET FREE! However, I will point out few things because of the ^ above statement.

I have lived without paying paying tithe for years, I have taught tithing ended in Hebrews 7 and taught Christians to give in their best abilities. I live a lifestyle of giving NOT tithing. I have NEVER experienced CLOSED HEAVENS as against the above statement. Why? Because Jesus' finished work left believers with OPEN HEAVEN.

You people who try to DO SOMETHING for God to DO SOMETHING are carnal and under the LAW! Grace is the manifestation of finished works of Christ. We are not doing anything for God to do something UNDER GRACE, we believe it is DONE! When you're trying to tithe in order to open windows of heaven while the last time I checked, since the time of Christ (Matthew 3:16); heaven had been opened and remain opened. Believers are not trying to open heaven by tithing. I have not read anywhere where the heaven that was opened unto Christ became closed again. Stephen ONLY saw the heaven that was already opened, not that the heaven opened again.

When people say things like, if you don't tithe, things will be tight for you. Where the heck did they get such statement from? From the bible? What verse of scripture is that? Everything written under the law was written to national Israel and not for Christians. The law (including tithing law) used to lead the people of Israel but the Spirit leads believers in giving. I have not tithed for years, yet, I enjoy open heavens, I have good job. I drive 2013 car. I give to people in need and help family and friends. Tell me, what closed heaven am I operating under? Tell me, which devourer is devouring me and my finances? Malachi is NOT written to Christian but to the thiefing priest and was rebuked - read Malachi from Chapter 1 and see who God was rebuking.

Because of the finished works of Christ by His blood and cross, NO CHRISTIAN IS UNDER CLOSED HEAVENS. TITHING ENDED IN HEBREWS 7 AND THE EPISTLES ADMONISHED BELIEVERS TO BE GIVERS AS THEY PURPOSE IN THEIR HEART. THAT'S GRACE GIVING!
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by Archilouis(m): 10:13pm On Aug 21, 2013
DrummaBoy:

Like my brother and friend Candour, I am loosing the steam to debate tithe on this forum but I just cannot but respond to this post. It would be good that tithe advocate check up the meaning of the word Principle in the dictionary and when they are through with that they should show us were, and anywhere, the Bible stated categorically that tithe is a principle.

From the scriptures FOLYKAZE quoted it is clear as noon day the purpose of the tithe: to provide for a group of people God had selected from Israel of old to administer the religious and civil life of His people. These people, the levites, were not to inherit the land and God, who is ever fair and ballanced, said that though you will not have land, you will have the tithe. The tithe was meant to be a means of sustenance for this people who had nothing. So what is the principle behind tithing: it is not the tithe itself but the fact that God is fair and would have everyone provided for. The levites had nothing and so should have the tithe. The principle it further depicts therefore is that God's work should be provided for.

In today's church, were many are demanding tithes, we see minister owning lands, cars and jets, and still demanding the tithe. The principle of provision in the house of God is sufficiently covered by the call on believers to give willingly and without compulsion. Anything beyond this it is legalistic and a fraud.

The height of the NT Christian life is the fact that believers can be led by the Spirit and not by written codes. If the written code demanded tithing in the OT, it makes sense to see that that has been translated to a life of the Spirit, being led by the Spirit, in free will giving. The moment it becomes a compulsory 10%, it is no longer a leading; there is no more a freedom to give; it becomes legalistic.

The worst part of this tithe fraud is how modern day ministers are feasting fat on it, while poor Christians have to tithe their meager allowances.

Well said!

Wise giving is a good thing, especially when done with a cheerful heart. Some may ask, is there any such thing as unwise/foolish giving? Visit the 10 virgins on the parable that suggested the need for more oil.
You tell me, a person owning a car & sowing a seed to a person owning a jet, is that wise giving? Sadly, it is believed that giving to mr. Jet, mr. Car's name will change to mr. Jet.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by Archilouis(m): 10:21pm On Aug 21, 2013
jarsofclay: @poster
there is absolutely nothing wrong in paying your tithe in CHURCH. you are doing the right thing and acting as the obedient child of God dat u are. don't let the anti-tithers discourage you. i had to emphasize the `Church' cos der re even those who believe in d tithe bt think they can pay it anywhere but d church. you see they have set themselves as enemies of the church of christ. if only they wil let us be. you don't believe in tithe? keep at it. but don't discourage d tithers. one day God wil separate the chaff from the wheat

And u think the chaff & wheat are payers & non-payers of tithe?

I encourage u to view things as Spirit-driven. The moment ur leader is need/want & uses a means of giving by compulsion backed by a law. Hmmm...I think u should leave such assembly.
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by Gpattern(m): 10:23pm On Aug 21, 2013
Just to make a few points:
1. No teacher of the gospel of Grace is against giving.
2. What Abraham gave as tithe was free will and not an instructed (so he could have given 1/20, 1/90 or even 1/5 if he choose to).
3. Abraham never gave from his income, but from the spoils of war, which he returned the 1/90.
4. Abraham only gave tithe once.
5. The tithe of the law was for the Jews and was an obligation (a must).
6. We have never been Jews... not before not now.
7. Under grace we don't do things by obligation, but by love.
8. the tithe of the law was of Animals and crops... not of money nor craft work etc
9. the tithe of the law was eaten at the gate of the temple by the owner.
10. Job was not a Jew and never mention to have paid tithe and was wealth (the most wealthy man in the east)
11. Malachi as we always quote as the tithe scripture was not written to the people of Israel, but to the prist
12. Under Grace Jesus never lay enphasies on tithing, but on giving in love or cheerfully.
thanks smiley
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by jniran22(m): 10:29pm On Aug 21, 2013
Goshen360:

Is tithe a 'commandment' or 'principle'?
What is 'principle' of tithe?
Where in scripture did God instructed tithe as 'principle'?

Deut.26:13
James 1:27
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by Brynelo: 10:33pm On Aug 21, 2013
Gombs:

Wot if I'm selling cars and don't have farm produce, and I didn't travel far frm my church, so it shdnt be a problem if I take one-tenth of the total cars to church, would it? Evn if I drive the car to church as tithe, you wud stil call pastors thieves. Ok frm wot you said, "tithe is to be paid yearly or every three years adding up all the previous years" imagine a church of 15,000 members, who after as you said every 3yrs now brought their farm produce...imagine the amount of cow, chicken, yams, beans, maize that wud litter d church altar...evn at that you'd say "gullible pple feeding the pastors while poor people starve to death". Also from this " Tithe is farm produce and not money meaning if I don't farm, then tithing aint for me, yes?

Sir understand quoted Moses's law, tithing was never of Moses but abraham. Question then is, did abraham give farm produce? If he didn't, then Abraham did it wrongly, no?

We are NO LONGER under the law

Roman 6 v 14 New Living Translation

...for you no longer live under the requirements of the law. Instead, you live under the freedom of God's grace.

Gal 3v25 New Living Translation

And now that the way of faith has come, we no longer
need the law as our guardian.

But look what paul said about the law in romans 13 from verses

9 The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

If then love is the fulfillment of the LAWS of Moses, Jesus then said

John 14v15 King James Bible

If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Who gave the command in Malachi 3v8-11??

You are an atheist I gathered, in Christianity, we believe in the Trinity. God=Jesus=Holy Spirit. I knw tis hard for you to wrap your head around that, but this is what Paul said about it in 1corinth 2v14

14 The person without the Spirit does not
accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but
considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.
..ohh ma goodness..U're so on point...this says it all..
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by Goshen360(m): 10:34pm On Aug 21, 2013
jniran22:

Deut.26:13
James 1:27

Which of them is commandment and which is principle?
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by ojimbo(m): 10:36pm On Aug 21, 2013
SELFWORTH:

This is nothing but poverty mentality.!! All these pretences. . grin grin grin
someone like will rather go and give a pastor the whole of ur money hoping that u will be rich that helping ur poor brother or friend, how many times have u visited motherless babies home?
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by Goshen360(m): 10:39pm On Aug 21, 2013
Gpattern: Just to make a few points:
1. No teacher of the gospel of Grace is against giving.
2. What Abraham gave as tithe was free will and not an instructed (so he could have given 1/20, 1/90 or even 1/5 if he choose to).
3. Abraham never gave from his income, but from the spoils of war, which he returned the 1/90.
4. Abraham only gave tithe once.
5. The tithe of the law was for the Jews and was an obligation (a must).
6. We have never been Jews... not before not now.
7. Under grace we don't do things by obligation, but by love.
8. the tithe of the law was of Animals and crops... not of money nor craft work etc
9. the tithe of the law was eaten at the gate of the temple by the owner.
10. Job was not a Jew and never mention to have paid tithe and was wealth (the most wealthy man in the east)
11. Malachi as we always quote as the tithe scripture was not written to the people of Israel, but to the prist
12. Under Grace Jesus never lay enphasies on tithing, but on giving in love or cheerfully.
thanks smiley

To add to the above ^

When I\we're under deception in those days, I paid tithe more than once in the past. If I'm to follow Abraham example, he GAVE it once but I PAID it MORE THAN ONCE, help me ask the tithe teachers, CAN IT BE SAID THAT I'M ALSO A TITHER considering the fact I paid more than once but Abraham gave it once? I have asked this question but NO ANSWER TILL DATE. cheesy
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by Corona99(m): 10:44pm On Aug 21, 2013
Excellent move: there is no single verse in d bible where God commanded CHRISTIANS to pay 10% of their salaries/wages every month end to God, Jesus, pastor or church organisation. Pls if u'v seen, kindly show us. God bless.
itz mor lyk an instruction which u ought 2 make ur priority..itz all abt shwin appreciation.
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by ojimbo(m): 10:45pm On Aug 21, 2013
My body is the house of the lord, can someone help me to inform pastor onyedepo, okotie, tb joshua, lazarus mmuoka, etc, that they should tithe all they have and bring it to me, the lord will surely bless them, even the one that bought private jet, he should tithe it and bring it to me, afterall my body is the house of the lord

please my fellow, brothers, all we need is one love, help one another, charity begins at home
Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by Corona99(m): 10:58pm On Aug 21, 2013
point well noted, merci..

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? by Corona99(m): 10:59pm On Aug 21, 2013
u made a marvelous point , merci..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? / Do You Believe In Life After Death? / If Korede Cant Sing Godwin In Church, Should He Pay Tithe From Godwin To Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.