Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,127 members, 7,890,767 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 07:58 PM

Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? (19284 Views)

Poll: Is it ok to stop tithing temporarily to pay off your debtors?

Yes: 34% (37 votes)
No: 65% (69 votes)
This poll has ended

My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing / Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here / My Thoughts On Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by KunleOshob(m): 4:38pm On Jun 19, 2008
[quote author=Enigma
People have just been deceived or misled into an unbiblical superstition by the false/erroneous teachings that tithing is required of the Christian.
[/quote]

What you mean is false/erroneous/fraudulent teachings cool
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by MyAfriplac: 9:07pm On Jun 19, 2008
As one writer already stated, as christians we are not required to tithe, at least God does not demand it. He says in Isaiah that he depises our sacrifice and our special days and ceremonies. How can we rob the one who gives all he has to us?

www.Myafriplace.com
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by fotodaddy: 9:22pm On Jun 19, 2008
MUGU!!!! cool
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by bionic: 11:01am On Jun 20, 2008
yes you can pay your debtors as long as you no, ur still gonna pay that tithe.
i do sometimes. but i make sure i pay up as osnn as i can
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by MyAfriplac: 11:46am On Jun 20, 2008
But where do you draw the line. Will God be happy when you are broke, poor and desolate. God is not a poor God, that he needs your money to do his work. If you give tithes with out joy, or with worry in your heart, do you actually believe that God is going to be happy.

www.Myafriplace.com
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by chummybro(f): 11:59am On Jun 20, 2008
You see our mentality, If you believe in GOD and that he is the source of your wealth and income, then why think twice about paying tithe? He gave you everything that no man can give you, yet just one tenth out of what he gave you that you are questioning?
Is a pity. Take for instance, that you bought so many clothes for your friend say about 100 pieces of cloth, and the next time you came and asked him just for 10 pieces out of the 100, and he says know, how will you feel?  Talk more of who gave you air to breath, job, every good thing.

The only thing you will do at such a case is to prayerfully ask God to give you grace to pay your tithe. He will help you. God is a master planner. And probably, this is a test for you, Christ, the angels and Satan is watching you. Just ask God for his grace, and am sure, he wants to promote you if only you pass the test. Don't mind them, just pay your tithe and watch and see. He knows what you are passing through, but he still expects you to be faithful so that he will also be faithful to you.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by MyAfriplac: 12:06pm On Jun 20, 2008
So what happens to those that do not have the ten percent to give, do they steal, borrow or beg. God instituted these rules for the Jews but aske that you be grateful for whatever he has given you. Love Him with your whole heart and your neighbor as yourself are the two greatest commandments. Why don't we still slaughter animals for sacrifice. We can't take only one commandment and leave the rest. There are so many offerings that God asked the Jews for depending on the time of year. Why don't we perform any of these rites?

www.Myfriplace.com
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jun 20, 2008
@^^
My brother,
i tire o! The mosaic laws plenty whey God command the children of isreal to observe,
yet our gentile pastors find it convenient to stress TITHES. Of course we all know why.
Repent y'all.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by fotodaddy: 4:15pm On Jun 20, 2008
fntekim:

@^^
My brother,
i tire o! The mosaic laws plenty whey God command the children of isreal to observe,
yet our gentile pastors find it convenient to stress TITHES. Of course we all know why.
Repent y'all.

them go gree hear??

BUt tolded them again sha
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jun 20, 2008

Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts?
What if your creditor finds out that you had decided to ignore him and pay your tithes instead? How would he feel?

Think about this =>

Matthew 5:23 - 24

23. "If you bring your sacrifices for offering like this, and there you remember that your brother Holds a grudge against you:
24. "Leave your sacrifice on the altar there, Go first and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and make your offering.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by debosky(m): 6:40pm On Jun 20, 2008
That is not really a point imhotep. . .what if your debtor found out you had to pay your rent? Or that you bought two cups of ice cream from the grocery store? Or that you paid tax?

Paying tithes does not mean you neglect your debts, If you regard your tithes as 'non-negotiable' like the tax deducted righ t off your paycheck, then this issue of 'suspending' tithes doesn't really come in.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jun 20, 2008
debosky:

That is not really a point imhotep. . .what if your debtor found out you had to pay your rent?
Rent is understandable.

debosky:

Or that you bought two cups of ice cream from the grocery store?
Luxurious expense for a debtor. angry

debosky:

Or that you paid tax?
Also understandable.

debosky:

Paying tithes does not mean you neglect your debts,
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Debts should be repaid as soon as possible.

debosky:

If you regard your tithes as 'non-negotiable' like the tax deducted righ t off your paycheck, then this issue of 'suspending' tithes doesn't really come in.
Words of Jesus.

Matthew 5:24 => 24. "Leave your sacrifice on the altar there, Go first and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and make your offering.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by debosky(m): 6:50pm On Jun 20, 2008
What does 'as soon as possible' mean?

Jesus did not say 'take the sacrifice from the altar and use it to reconcile with your brother'

owing debt does not mean you are fighting with someone or on bad terms, it simply means you still owe something. If what you mean is that you should suspend paying tithes till you repay all your debts, then people wouldn't pay any tithes till they paid off their mortgages, car loans, student loans, and all other forms of borrowing.

Lets be reasonable here - why would honoring God's commandment not be 'reasonable' and paying rent would be? I do not regard tithes as something you can include in other expenses or in financial calculations (apart from paying your taxes of course). Suspension of tithing achieves little in my opinion - if a mere 10% of your income can be sufficient to clear your debts, I'm sure there are other areas you can cut back on to achieve that.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jun 20, 2008
debosky:

What does 'as soon as possible' mean?
Put yourself in your creditor's shoes, and you will understand what it means. Perfectly.

debosky:

Jesus did not say 'take the sacrifice from the altar and use it to reconcile with your brother'
owing debt does not mean you are fighting with someone or on bad terms, it simply means you still owe something. If what you mean is that you should suspend paying tithes till you repay all your debts, then people wouldn't pay any tithes till they paid off their mortgages, car loans, student loans, and all other forms of borrowing.

Lets be reasonable here - why would honoring God's commandment not be 'reasonable' and paying rent would be? I do not regard tithes as something you can include in other expenses or in financial calculations (apart from paying your taxes of course). Suspension of tithing achieves little in my opinion - if a mere 10% of your income can be sufficient to clear your debts, I'm sure there are other areas you can cut back on to achieve that.
A similar thing was happening in Judaism. For which Jesus reprimanded the Jewish religious leaders. The scribes and pharisees were paying tithes, but Jesus WAS NOT HAPPY WITH THEM.

Matthew 23:23 => Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and canise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, justice, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

====
Similarly, Corban in Judaism, is the term for a variety of sacrificial offerings described and commanded in the Torah.

Jesus also rebuked some of the Pharisees for their inappropriate implementation of Korban:

Mark 7:9-13 =>

9 And he said to them: "You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe[a] your own traditions!

10 For Moses said, 'Honor your father and your mother,' and, 'Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.'[c]

11 But you say that if a man says to his father or mother: '[b]Whatever help you might otherwise have received from me is Corban' (that is, a gift devoted to God),

12 then you no longer let him do anything for his father or mother.

13Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that."
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by debosky(m): 7:19pm On Jun 20, 2008
you are going off tangent my friend - who determines what portion of your salary/wages is available for debt repayment? You or your creditor?

Unless you have gone bankrupt and the creditor has the power to sell off all your assets or make first call charges on your income, you still have no overreaching obligation to suspend your tithing in order to pay back a debt.

Jesus was not happy with the Pharisees in the passage you mentioned because they left other things UNDONE - Note that Jesus said ' these YOU OUGHT TO HAVE DONE' - meaning their tithing was in order, but other things were lacking and should be ADDED to the tithing.

What does improper implementation of the Corban have to do with this? Are there instances in the bible that Jesus or the prophets or the law advocated that the tithe be suspended to pay debts? If there is none, then there is no case of 'nullifying God's word' here.

The passage you keep quoting is being taken out of context - being reconciled to your brother does not mean liquidating all debts instantly. Like I said, I determine how much I have available to repay debts, and will pay back according to my ability to do so. I may cut down on luxuries and other things, but I will NOT cut down my tithes to do that, as it is not necessary.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jun 20, 2008
debosky:

you are going off tangent my friend - who determines what portion of your salary/wages is available for debt repayment? You or your creditor?

Unless you have gone bankrupt and the creditor has the power to sell off all your assets or make first call charges on your income, you still have no overreaching obligation to suspend your tithing in order to pay back a debt.

Jesus was not happy with the Pharisees in the passage you mentioned because they left other things UNDONE - Note that Jesus said ' these YOU OUGHT TO HAVE DONE' - meaning their tithing was in order, but other things were lacking and should be ADDED to the tithing.

What does improper implementation of the Corban have to do with this? Are there instances in the bible that Jesus or the prophets or the law advocated that the tithe be suspended to pay debts? If there is none, then there is no case of 'nullifying God's word' here.

The passage you keep quoting is being taken out of context - being reconciled to your brother does not mean liquidating all debts instantly. Like I said, I determine how much I have available to repay debts, and will pay back according to my ability to do so. I may cut down on luxuries and other things, but I will NOT cut down my tithes to do that, as it is not necessary.

But it is recorded that Jesus himself severely rebuked the tithing Pharisees, because they ignored "weightier matters"

Let me repost.

Matthew 23:23 => Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and canise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, justice, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Tithing does not excuse anyone from fulfilling his/her duties towards others.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by debosky(m): 7:27pm On Jun 20, 2008
imhotep:

But we it is recorded that Jesus himself severely rebuked the tithing Pharisees, because they ignored "weightier matters"

Tithing does not excuse anyone from fulfilling his/her duties towards others.

No one said tithing does, but in the same vein, fulfilling one's duties towards others does not excuse anyone from fulfilling his/her duties towards God.

Give unto Caesar what is due unto Caesar, and unto God what is due to God.

You can BOTH Tithe AND fulfill your financial obligations towards others - I do not think you should sacrifice one for the other, so based on the question posed by this thread, suspending tithes is NOT an option in my opinion.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jun 20, 2008
debosky:

No one said tithing does, but in the same vein, fulfilling one's duties towards others does not excuse anyone from fulfilling his/her duties towards God.
They why was Jesus very angry with the tithing Pharisees who were dutifully keeping the law

debosky:

Give unto Caesar what is due unto Caesar, and unto God what is due to God.
This is more applicable to relations between the Church and the State.

debosky:

You can BOTH Tithe AND fulfill your financial obligations towards others - I do not think you should sacrifice one for the other, so based on the question posed by this thread, suspending tithes is NOT an option in my opinion.
But pay your creditors first. You yourself will not be happy if someone was owing you. Why persist in owing others when you have the money to pay This is unjust.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by debosky(m): 7:49pm On Jun 20, 2008
Stop twisting things - Jesus was NOT angry at them for paying tithes, but he was mad at them for NOT doing other things, meaning BOTH should be done one in consonance.

Pay your creditors first? To the exclusion of doing God's will? I do not agree - unless you took a loan without knowing your ability to pay back. its not as if the 10% is what is going to be sufficient to repay the debt, there are other things you can cut down on to pay debts.

You never answered my question - would you suspend paying tithes till you pay off your car loan, mortgage and everything else? Does that really change anything? You are sounding like the creditor is more important than God here. I am not supporting refusal to pay loans in the guise of giving to God, but I do believe the tithes portion of your income should not even be put in the same category as your other financial dealings.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jun 20, 2008
debosky:

Stop twisting things - Jesus was NOT angry at them for paying tithes, but he was mad at them for NOT doing other things, meaning BOTH should be done one in consonance.
But Jesus was angry with those who PAID tithes. Tithing is no shield for Jesus' rebuke.

debosky:

Pay your creditors first? To the exclusion of doing God's will? I do not agree - unless you took a loan without knowing your ability to pay back. its not as if the 10% is what is going to be sufficient to repay the debt, there are other things you can cut down on to pay debts.

Matthew 23:23 => you pay tithe of mint and canise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, justice, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

debosky:

You never answered my question - would you suspend paying tithes till you pay off your car loan, mortgage
For car loan and mortgage, suspend the blasted thing.

debosky:

and everything else?
Depends on what it is. Discernment is needed. We are not robots.

debosky:

Does that really change anything? You are sounding like the creditor is more important than God here. I am not supporting refusal to pay loans in the guise of giving to God, but I do believe the tithes portion of your income should not even be put in the same category as your other financial dealings.

Put yourself in the shoes of your creditor and feel the pinch.

Luke 6:31 => "Do unto others as you would have them do to you".
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by debosky(m): 8:34pm On Jun 20, 2008
So suspend your tithing for the mortgage? cheesy

So you'll suspend the tithes for 30 years before deciding to start paying tithes? Be realistic man.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jun 20, 2008
debosky:

So suspend your tithing for the mortgage? cheesy

So you'll suspend the tithes for 30 years before deciding to start paying tithes? Be realistic man.
Well, if you don't pay your mortgage, you might end up homeless and on the street.

Perhaps then your pastor will offer you + your wife + children ONE room in his BQ to pack yourselves in . . . while you keep paying your tithes as a homeless man cheesy cheesy
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by debosky(m): 8:48pm On Jun 20, 2008
How will you be homeless?

Dude you are saying LIQUIDATE your debts before paying tithes - mortgages these days have 30-40 year terms, meaning it will take you 30-40 years to pay them off. Now if you decide that 'oh I am owing someone so I can't pay tithes', you will wait 30 years to remove ALL indebtedness before paying tithes, now is that reasonable to you?

Lets say you make your monthly payments for mortgage, but you are still OWING, in the sense that you still have money owed to teh bank. All this your 'put yourself in the creditor's shoes' talk is nonsense - If you are being charged interest, is the creditor doing you a favor? I'd rather be charged interest and fulfill my divine obligations and deal with the payments in a way I deem fit.

For you paying rent may be what is 'understandable', but paying my tithe is also non-negotiable for me - any debt repayment I will do will come out of my remaining income, simple.

You seem to have a very convoluted view of things, and I doubt if you will recognize the point I am making. No one is saying tithing is a shield for anything, but you DO NOT NEED to sacrifice paying tithes to service debts, else you'll suspend for 30 years at least because that is how long on average it takes to pay off your home for example.

For the last time Jesus' anger was not over the TITHES!!! But over what was left undone, that should have been INCLUDED with the tithes! Can't you get that?
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by Allta(m): 8:49pm On Jun 20, 2008
@debosky

I believe you understand what TITHE is, How to Pay Tithe (Deut 14), why was it instituted in the Mosaic Laws, and the rebuke unto the House of Jacob in Malachi for people robbing God. Also, I believe you know that Christ mentioned it only while he was addressing the Pharisee , are you now a Pharisee who fulfils the LAWs while Chirst was Alive? When Christ Died, did he fulfil some of the 613 laws or all of them , if you said NO, then why don't you offer goats and rams unto God as of old? Afterall God gave the Isrealites this commandments and explained unto Moses how to design the Alter and who is allowed unto the prescence of God.

Check out my response on one of the Articles written by @KunleOsho; Like we've all been saying, TITHE is a type of GIVING, and it's not WRONG, only that it's NOT COMPULSORY

I know you understand what Tithe is, you should know it's definately not money, becuase people earn money those days and still don't "pay" money. Christ was a Carpenter, but he didn't pay TITHE. I'm also trying to get my head round the fact of why Christ never paid tithe, and why the early Christians never did; at least there was no record in the Bible they did. Only that Christ mentioned Pharisees which were doing the Mosaic Laws deligently, and Christ was like: (Matt 23:23)
"It was right to do these, and not to have leftthose aside." GLT;
"These are the important things you should have done, though you should not have left the others undone either. " CEV;
"You should tithe, yes, but you should not leave undone the more important things. " NLT; - Could it be that Christ was trying to say ,  TITHING is not the issue although commendable, but the ISSUE and the REQUIRED THING were in the MORE IMPORTANT THINGS.
"You're hopeless, you religion scholars and Pharisees! Frauds! You keep meticulous account books, tithing on every nickel and dime you get, but on the meat of God's Law, things like fairness and compassion and commitment--the absolute basics!-you carelessly take it or leave it. Careful bookkeeping is commendable, but the basics are required. " THE MESSAGE

Let me pause here ,  Christ actually said Careful Bookkeeping is Commendable, not that it's REQUIRED ie. COMPULSORY ,  only the BASICS(in another version, the weigthier things of the LAW) are REQUIRED.

Also, I feel TITHING was commendable because it was part of the 613 Mosaic laws and Christ was very careful not to abolish the Laws in his days, However, he did engage some of the ridiculous ones. But after his Death, after he paid the price (once and for all) the Laws, a New ORDER (Testimony) came into force. Heb 7:18 said the former laws were set aside! No WONDER the early Christians never paid TITHE (whether 500 years after Christ's Death or Not); there is no record in the Bible that they did.

Having said all these, not only Christ but also the early Apostles preached about giving:

2 Cor 9: 6-7
6 But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. 7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.

There are other plenty verses after the Death of Christ where Giving unto the needy was mostly stressed. I'm still digging to find where "TITHING" equate the so much COMPULSION it enjoys today. Even Christ himself taught about giving as in Thanksgiving and Offering, Christ after healing a man with leprosy in Luke 5:12, in verse 14, Christ himself gave charge:
"And He charged him to tell no one, "But go and show yourself to the priest, and make an offering for your cleansing, as a testimony to them, just as Moses commanded."
The word OFFERING here comes from the greek Prosphero, and it means "to bring a present or a thing, to reach or hand a thing to one"

In a nutshell, If you TITHE, Thank God for you ,  But some believe Christ died once and for all the former laws. I mean, the Bible even said this in Heb 7, check out verse 18 ,  so, if you still think the TITHE is a commendable adaptation of the old ORDER, that's fine ,  afterall, EVERYONE with their own Faith and Believe, isn't that What this Christianity is all about in the first place? But, WHAT I HATE MOST is well people tell me, You're Cursed if you don't pay TITHE, as in God will punish you, and raise all the bad experiences in life on you, if you don't pay TITHE as you believed from the NEW ORDERS that Christ as paid for all those things ,  ONCE AND FOR ALL

If you pay TiTHE, please continue, as long as you believe in it
If you don't pay TITHE, please you're not CURSED

According to Christ himself, TITHE is commendable (as part of the Law before his death); BUT ONLY THE WEIGHTIER THINGS OF THE LAW ARE REQUIRED! & Ofcourse we all know Tithing is not part of the Weigthier parts of the Law.

Now I've been speaking  all along from Malachi just to establish what I think of it. If I now move away from Malachi back to Deut 14, it was established of what TITHE is and how to pay it in Deut, no Controversy about that. Also the old testament established TITHE as part of the MOSAIC LAWS ,  I think there are over 500 of those laws.

Also quickly zooming into New Testament, Jesus did mention TITHE in the context of telling the Pharisees that it's not the COMPULSORY THING, in Christ's own words ,  "It's commendable"; but the Much more important things are REQUIRED!

Obviously Christ was still alive then, and the some of the Laws were still being upheld, actually, he did challenged some, I wonder how long he would have taken him to challenge every of those 613 laws. But those aren't the reason why he came ,  "I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly" God kind of Life.

But after his death, I believed all was fulfilled ,  the LAW, the Mosaic Law I believe is a mirage of the NEW ORDER  that came after Christ's Death. Heb 7 explained this, these are not my words ,  verse 12: For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law.

AND verse 18 more clearly: 18 For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness, 19for the law made nothing perfect; on the other hand, there is the bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.

Having said all these, Christ's ministry never taught on TITHING AND HOW TO DO IT OR IF IT WAS REQUIRED OR COMPULSORY, neither did the Apostles; even it was discovered that 500 years after his Death, the Christians didn't pay this TITHE, ok maybe you don't want to believe that statement. But I believe you believe the Bible which never recorded early Christians paying TITHE after the DEATH of CHRIST.

So, the BIG Question is, when and how and why DID TITHE CREEP INTO HIS CHURCH with SUCH COMPULSION AND REQUIREMENT TO BEING A CHRISTIAN. If it's NOT COMPULSORY For the EARLY CHRISTIANS, WHY IS IT TODAY? WHY DIDN't the EARLY CHRISTIANS get CURSED, or why wasn't it RECORDED THAT THEY ARE CURSED? or WHY wasn't it RECORDED THAT THEY PAY TITHE or were TAUGHT TO? WHY DID WE HAVE ACCOUNTS OF OFFERING AND THANKSGIVING Taught and Encouraged to the CHURCH by CHRIST, and WHY HE NEVER DID ENCOURAGE THOSE HE HEALED TO PAY TITHE? HE ACTUALLY ASKED THEM TO DO OFFERING, WHY WHY WHY!!!!

TITHING IS GOOD IF YOU GIVE IT
BUT IT's NOT A REQUIREMENT AND COMPULSION
IF IT IS THANKSGIVING, GIVE
IF IT IS TITHE, GIVE
IF IT IS OFFERING, GIVE
IF YOU CAN DO THE 3, FANTASTIC, but DO WILLINGLY
IF YOU CAN DO 2, GREAT, but DO WILLINGLY
IF YOU CAN DO 1, BEAUTIFUL, but DO WILLINGLY

God Loves a Cheerful Giver, and wants us to give willingly and not forcefully or with fear, ie. with fear that he's going to Curse us IF WE DON'T GIVE ONE of THOSE

SEARCH THE SCRIPTURES, and HOLD ON TO THAT WHICH IS TRUE ,  The Truth is GOD will not PUNISH me if I DO 3 out of 3, or 2 out of 3, and God will noT PUNISH me if I DO 1 out of 3 ,  As long as there is food in the storehouse for pastors, needy, orphans, foreigners, widows to be fine with.

JUST GIVE FROM YOUR HEART ,  whatever you feel like or are happy with ,  DON'T LET ANYONE DEFRAUD OR BAMBOOZO YOU, God doesn't Need or EAT your Money , & will never curse you if you don't give him anything to NEED or EAT; the Poor in Spirit are the ones who do, the motherless babies, the widows, orphans, the needies, foreigners in our lands eg. the missionaries, the less privileged and ofcourse including our Pastors (Not Pastors who drive HUMMER JEEPS while workers in Church can't afford to pay rent in 8months)  ,  BUT DO THESE OUT OF LOVE, OUT OF FREE-WILL, NOT OUT OF FEAR!

GIVE AND IT SHALL BE GIVEN UNTO YOU, SOW and you shall REAP ,  these are Christ's Teachings not mine! Simple law of Harvests!

THE BIG QUESTION IN THE CONTEXT OF THIS PARTICULAR POST IS: IF YOU'RE IN NEED, WHY NOT GO TO YOUR PASTOR FOR MONEY, WHY GO OUTSIDE THE CHURCH AND BORROW MONEY IN THE FIRST PLACE? BECAUSE MY OWN BIBLE ENCOURAGES ME NOT TO OWE ANY MAN. IF YOU'RE IN NEED GO TO THE CHURCH, AFTERALL THAT'S WHY PEOPLE GIVE (either tithe, offering, or thanksgiving) EXCEPT IF YOU BELIEVE OFCOURSE, THAT YOU DON'T DESERVE ANY PART OF THE GOD'S STOREHOUSE.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jun 20, 2008
debosky:

How will you be homeless?
The mortgage company will foreclose. And you will be in trouble.

debosky:

Dude you are saying LIQUIDATE your debts before paying tithes - mortgages these days have 30-40 year terms, meaning it will take you 30-40 years to pay them off. Now if you decide that 'oh I am owing someone so I can't pay tithes', you will wait 30 years to remove ALL indebtedness before paying tithes, now is that reasonable to you?
This is a true story. A friend of mine has been looking for a job in Shell. 6 months ago he fasted for 40 days and paid tithes of over =N=1.5 million. Now, he can no longer pay for his flat and is squatting with somebody. He is jobless and Shell has not even looked at his direction.

debosky:

Lets say you make your monthly payments for mortgage, but you are still OWING, in the sense that you still have money owed to the bank. All this your 'put yourself in the creditor's shoes' talk is nonsense - If you are being charged interest, is the creditor doing you a favor? I'd rather be charged interest and fulfill my divine obligations and deal with the payments in a way I deem fit.

For you paying rent may be what is 'understandable', but paying my tithe is also non-negotiable for me - any debt repayment I will do will come out of my remaining income, simple.

You seem to have a very convoluted view of things, and I doubt if you will recognize the point I am making. No one is saying tithing is a shield for anything, but you DO NOT NEED to sacrifice paying tithes to service debts, else you'll suspend for 30 years at least because that is how long on average it takes to pay off your home for example.
If you are advocating a more balanced way of addressing BOTH tithes and debts AT THE SAME TIME, then I agree with you. Otherwise, blast tithing to smitherings.

debosky:

For the last time Jesus' anger was not over the TITHES!!! But over what was left undone, that should have been INCLUDED with the tithes! Can't you get that?
Tithing did not protect them for the Jesus' harsh rebuke.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by Esss(m): 9:26pm On Jun 20, 2008
imhotep:

This is a true story. A friend of mine has been looking for a job in Shell. 6 months ago he fasted for 40 days and paid tithes of over =N=1.5 million. Now, he can no longer pay for his flat and is squatting with somebody. He is jobless and Shell has not even looked at his direction.

grin grin grin Holy shit!! Omo if i be the guy I go hook that pastor make ehn refund me my money jare.

Our people should stop decieving themselves. This is why our pastors are now richer than honest hard-working nigerians.

Give and it shall bee given unto you, the lord loves a cheerful giver, You have robbed God in your tithes and offerings, sow a seed faith, pledge to the work of God, challange God with an embarassing offering, Help build the house of God and he will build yours for you, Give your widows mithe, e.t.c. Nigerian christians have fallen victim to these lines severallly and still are even now as we speak.

Christians now see tithing/offering as a means of bribing God to do something for them.

I've seen sinners experience some wicked financial breakthroughs that are beyond human comprehension, which earned them Hummers, Houses, and the good-life, whislts some "born-again, christian faithful tithers/seed faith sowers/building offering givers" who have been sowing and tithing for years are still on foot-patrol with no improvment in thier status financially or otherwise.

Christians should stop trying to bribe God with 10% egunje. Invest wisely, use your money to get money, when your paper is stacking right then you can give to charity, build churches, sponsor your pastors presidential ambition, pay your tithe. Thats what the wise are doing.
God will never rob peter who has worked and invested his earnings wisely to pay you faithful tither with a backlog of debts.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by Babygod: 10:23pm On Jun 20, 2008
I DONT KNOW WHAT U GUYS ARE HOLLERING ABOUT,TITHING IS A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN U AND GOD, IT IS NOT BY FORCE.

IN THE BIBLE , JESUS HEALED TEN LEPPERS, ONE CAME BACK TO GIVE THANKS

PLS READ THE FOLLOWING VERSES:
LEV 27 :30, 2 CHR 31 :5 and others, so why d fuss ? Why did God honour Abel's sacrifice and not cains, it is all a matter of the heart. Jesus Castigated the pharisees because it was done with a sense, of pride and not wit honour

I want u guys to know one thing, God does not need ur money, he owns the whole world, so y bother ?
, giving one tenth of what u have to God is like telling him, Lord this is a token of my Gratitude to you.

tithing was a Biblical injuction for pharisees and saducees alike, just as zakat is obligatory for all muslims

So this should not be force, one should just give willingly, as for me I give tithes and no body can change it, it's my personal way of expressing Gratitude to God.

Forget what others say , do what your mind tells u to do, but do it to honour God and not man.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by Esss(m): 9:59am On Jun 21, 2008
Babygod:

I DONT KNOW WHAT You GUYS ARE HOLLERING ABOUT,TITHING IS A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN You AND GOD, IT IS NOT BY FORCE.

Just as a loan is a personal agreement between you and the lender, God is not involved.

Babygod:

IN THE BIBLE , JESUS HEALED TEN LEPPERS, ONE CAME BACK TO GIVE THANKS

Give thanks, not Give tithe. Whats the relationship.

Babygod:

I want u guys to know one thing, God does not need your money, he owns the whole world, so y bother ?
, giving one tenth of what u have to God is like telling him, Lord this is a token of my Gratitude to you.

Exactly.

But your pastor does. Did the twelve disciples pay tithe?? did you ever hear of tithing anywhere in the new testament??
Christians now see tithing as bribing God. "O lord if I get that 2million naira contract, I'll give you 10% 200,000naira, which should'nt be so.

Babygod:

tithing was a Biblical injuction for pharisees and saducees alike, just as zakat is obligatory for all muslims

Are you a pharisee or a saducee?? do you still abide under the law??

Should a lender suffer because of your religion?? Please lets be objective. Money brings money to the wise. Business and religion are two separate matters o!! Put your house(debts) in order before going to church.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by manmustwac(m): 10:48am On Jun 21, 2008
This post is quite funny because it brought out the truth about religion being the opium of the masses.
Don't you know that debt is not income and tithe is paid out of income.
Your debt is not part of your income but liability, you can only pay tihthe out of what is remaining from the settlement of your liabilities.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by MALAMA(f): 8:37pm On Jun 21, 2008
Na wa for us Xtians o! The Jews who were given the Mosaic Law no longer tithe,yet we Gentiles especially us Xtians decided to 'carry' tithes on our heads.Are we saying that out of all the 600-odd laws given by Moses,only the law of tithing was not done away with by the blood of Jesus?Are we not insulting God? Sort out ur debts and u will have peace of mind so as to give an offering to the Lord which is done 'joyfully and not out of compulsion/necessity or with a grudging heart'. smiley
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jun 21, 2008
Thank you jare. Told them.
Re: Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jun 22, 2008
If I was in debt, I would certainly suspend tithing, to clear them off.

Why should I die, and leave my family to cover my debts?
God is an understanding God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Okorocha Tells Priests & Laity In Ahiara Diocese To Obey The Pope’s Directive / Bishop Oyedepo Speaks On Restoration Of CRK, condemns breaking Nigeria idea / Why You Should Not Take A Phone Bible To Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.